Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Classes are important. TES and FO3/NV games overly easy anyway now the Player can get even more imba and OP.

me dont want

If you're playing an RPG to tweak your character you're playing for the wrong reason.

Classes have always been part of western open world RPG's though.

As in no classes at all? Where can I read up on this?

I think the Game Informer article talked about it, and in the G4 video Todd mentions how you don't choose a class at the beginning you just start playing and get better in the skills you use alot

I think the Game Informer article talked about it, and in the G4 video Todd mentions how you don't choose a class at the beginning you just start playing and get better in the skills you use alot

Which sounds pretty awesome. It removes the frustration of trying to clairvoyantly know how you will play the game. This way you can adapt and change as you learn the game and formulate your own play style.

There are other ways you can restrict how powerful your player can become without class limitations. Making a spellsword type dude, for instance, might split your power between two stats - strength for sword and int/wisdom/whatever for spells. That or they just limit how many skill points they can distribute between things and then, you know, balance them properly.

Just as long as they don't botch the levelling as badly as they did with Oblivion. :|

I'll be fine with a leveling system like New Vegas - just divided into categories like ranged/melee/unarmed/lockpicking etc.

I'll be fine with a leveling system like New Vegas - just divided into categories like ranged/melee/unarmed/lockpicking etc.

Only problem is that doing that would remove the very foundation of the Elder Scrolls series, which has been leveling skills by using them, rather than a limited amout of points you get per level up that you can distribute as you choose.

Classes have always been part of western open world RPG's though.

That's because they generally have the limited scope tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons have. There are countless different tabletop games to base off of, some with very innovative class systems or no classes at all.

I very much prefer being able to build a character how I want, rather than being limited to a specific archetype.

It's why I loved pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies so much. You were never limited to a class. You could change your mind and relevel as something else anytime you want.

I'm starting to feel like Mikael building a class or choosing a pre-set one has always been part of TES.
Why would you wanna take that away,just start a new game if you don't like the class you have.

RPG does not equal FPS with RPG elements but that's what they're turning TES in to.... very sad.

PS:Mikael forgive me for ever talking shit to you I now know what you meant.

I'm starting to feel like Mikael building a class or choosing a pre-set one has always been part of TES.
Why would you wanna take that away,just start a new game if you don't like the class you have.

RPG does not equal FPS with RPG elements but that's what they're turning TES in to.... very sad.

They aren't really doing away with classes. You can still be a mage, warrior, thief, assassin, or whatever. Its just a dynamic class system. If you play like a mage, you are a mage. If you play like a warrior you are a warrior class. In fact, I would argue that with this new system there are more classes to chose from than ever before. Each person who plays creates their own unique class

So basically, it lets you shift semi-fluidly between classes as you progress your character, instead of locking you into a set of abilities at the start? Sounds alright to me.

Well it doesn't sound like it really lets you shift between things. It looks like it's going to just let you play the game how you want to play it, and that can be any kind of combination of skills and your character will be able to grow in that role. So instead of picking your 'class' at the start you just play and see what style fits you best and then it will help you along and buff you in those areas you specialize the most.
I really like this because I never picked any of their standard classes and usually ended up with some sort of hybrid melee spellcaster.

Classes are an heritage from the past, imo. I was fine with them, playing D&D or other tabletop games, but it's not an unbreakable rule. Let me build my own class, based on my everchanging play style, and I'll be fine.

Ij1Mg.jpg

As much I was fine with the old class system in TES, I like this approach much better. There were many times in Morrowind or Oblivion where I would pick a skill to be a major skill because I thought it would fit the character I was trying to play as, only to never use it throughout the game. This way its kind of the other way around - your class is defined exclusively by what actions you perform in the game.

And on top of that, you do have choice. There are perks for each skill and a couple others that are independent as well. So its both a reactive and proactive class creation! YAY

lol MMO's
Say what you will about the development of the MMO genre, but they both were excellent RPG's without having an artificial class system. You could create the type of character you wanted to create and there was still balance.

I like the addition of skill-based perks. They did stuff like that in Oblivion but now it looks like I'll be able to choose from a lot of different things.

I am surprised that people think Skyrim will allow them to make meaningful, unique characters. Gameplay-wise, you are going to be a walking demigod halfway through the game. Not that you aren't one already, being a dragonbortion. I hate this latest trend in Bethesda games. What's wrong with being nobody who becomes somebody? Morrowind was the perfect incarnation of a proper "rags to riches" story: starting as a prisoner, released on Vvardenfell, then becoming a low level intelligence operative for the Blades, working out the island's complex political structure and finally engineering the Nerevarine prophecy, not because you are the Nerevarine, but because you become one.

But no, it's apparently "not epic enough".

Can you only be Dragonborn? You can't be just a human?

Not that you aren't one already, being a dragonbortion. I hate this latest trend in Bethesda games. What's wrong with being nobody who becomes somebody?

I'm confused, isn't that what happened in Oblivion? Martin was the character of real prophetic importance in that story, you were just a means to help him do his part.

Lol, I had forgotten about that. Funny that they gave him a role that only lasted 10 minutes.

I am surprised that people think Skyrim will allow them to make meaningful, unique characters. Gameplay-wise, you are going to be a walking demigod halfway through the game. Not that you aren't one already, being a dragonbortion. I hate this latest trend in Bethesda games. What's wrong with being nobody who becomes somebody? Morrowind was the perfect incarnation of a proper "rags to riches" story: starting as a prisoner, released on Vvardenfell, then becoming a low level intelligence operative for the Blades, working out the island's complex political structure and finally engineering the Nerevarine prophecy, not because you are the Nerevarine, but because you become one.

You still start out as a nobody. Besides in every adventure RPG its a forgone conclusion that you will become supper important. Dragon born is not a guarantee of greatness, every position in the Elder Scrolls game you have to earn. Aren't there other dragon born in this game, kinda like the Ba'al spawn from Baulder's Gate?

Any maybe you're right, but I don't think its a big issue. We don't play games for realism.

What's wrong with being nobody who becomes somebody? Morrowind was the perfect incarnation of a proper "rags to riches" story: starting as a prisoner, released on Vvardenfell, then becoming a low level intelligence operative for the Blades, working out the island's complex political structure and finally engineering the Nerevarine prophecy, not because you are the Nerevarine, but because you become one.

Yeah! Every game should be the same!

I am surprised that people think Skyrim will allow them to make meaningful, unique characters. Gameplay-wise, you are going to be a walking demigod halfway through the game. Not that you aren't one already, being a dragonbortion.

I'm not a fan of overblown prophecy stories either, but I don't see that lore necessarily dictates game design like this. If you're a demigod mid-game it'll be because they ****ed up the balance, not because U R TEH CHOSEN 1!!!

Pretty much. The whole path of the underdog-to-demidog story archetype is the struggle and conflict that the protagonist encounters on his journey to the top.

In which Bethesda game were you NOT at least comparable to a demi-god? In Morrowind you were the re-incarnation of a hero king and you killed the god Dagoth-Ur. In Oblivion you kill Mehrune Dagon, another god, after venturing into the gates of hell and back. I never played the first two, but I imagine you were similarly powerful and entwined with the shaping of the Elder Scrolls world.

You weren't a reincarnation of the Nerevarine, you were engineered to be one by the Blades. At least that's what I remember from Morrowind after replaying it from start to end a few months ago.

The Nerevarine (also referred to as the Incarnate) is the figure at the center of the Nerevarine Cult, which believes that Lord Indoril Nerevar will be reincaranted and return to Morrowind to defeat Dagoth Ur and restore the glory of Resdayn.

In-game, the player becomes the Nerevarine during the the Main Quest. They progress through the Seven Trials, becoming immune to all diseases, acquiring Moon-and-Star and being named Hortator and Nerevarine by the Great Houses and Ashlander Tribes of Vvardenfell, respectively, eventually fufilling the Nerevarine Prophecies completely by working with the Dissident Priests.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Nerevarine

Back