Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I think the game looks pretty good except for the flat ground textures. Ground textures are one of those things I look at a lot until I'm actually playing and then I never think about them. For those PC people annoyed they couldn't find a less than $60 deal, one finally popped up http://www.direct2drive.com/11413/product/Buy-The-Elder-Scrolls-V:-Skyrim?cj=true

It's a Steam key so it's simple enough... and you save $6 for... things you buy for $6.

Damn, all this Morrowind talks makes me ashamed I never beat it.

uhhhhhhhhh. I went through with the checkout and when the paypal window closed and redirected me back to D2D, it gave me a server error, and when I check for my downloads it says "you have no games". ****ers best not have charged me.

Oh it's also finally on Green Man Gaming for roughly the same price... in case you have some credit built up and want to make it cheaper. I however blew all my credits on the Deus Ex DLC.

Edit: It says: "Keys for this game will be sent out upon the day of release." So that might be a no-go for some. Kind of leaves out preloading and playing it at midnight...

Damn, all this Morrowind talk is making me want to forget Skyrim and download Morrowind.

Yeah well, seeing as my pc will never be able to run Skyrim, i reinstalled morrowind last week.

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAHHHHH

Turns out, this game is verging on a masterpiece.

Bugs are thrown in for a laugh of course, but it's rebuilt to take only the great bits of Oblivion, and mixes it with Morrowind. Quest log is always full, exploration is always worthwhile...oh god, bye bye social life.

Preloaded, and cant wait to get into it tomorrow.

Yeah It's getting some awesome reviews by the looks of things. Good job I don't have any plans for this weekend! :D

Looks like I'm going to have to abandon my girlfriend for the weekend...

Razor1911.

but anyways I'm gonna buy the game at Midnight!!!
I'm pretty sure that SkyrimModmanager will only work with legit copies just like FO3 and New Vegas.

I have a Best Buy gift card and I get a tiny discount for buying retail too :)
I am hoping the retail is made for STEAM though.

I have a Best Buy gift card and I get a tiny discount for buying retail too :)
I am hoping the retail is made for STEAM though.

I was considering doing the same, but I spent my gift certificate earlier this week. Also my best buy rewardzone credit card is maxed, so I wouldnt get all my discounts.

But yeah every version uses Steamworks I believe.

goddammit I have a strict no purchase on release day policy but I dont think I'll be able to pass this one up

It's true, I have "mental blue balls" for Skyrim. It hurts so good.

Jesus, I want it so bad, but I'm freaking broke. Hmm.... Ramen until I save up $60.

curses! public holiday here so the damn store wont open 'till 10am!

I got it from Steam even though the price is £6 more expensive than Amazon. 3 and a half hours until unlock...

Just pre-ordered! Will get my game at midnight!

Speaking of Morrowind, it is ten trillion times better then oblivion ever could be. Probably best game of all time.

To the people who pre-load from steam: Doesn't it bother you that you have no game case or manual or anything? I hate buying games online for that reason. I'd rather have the physical copy of the game.

Got it! the notebook is really nice.

MaNIb.jpg

FWJ2Q.jpg

map is alright, not cloth, but seems to be quality paper.

CRnBu.jpg

To the people who pre-load from steam: Doesn't it bother you that you have no game case or manual or anything? I hate buying games online for that reason. I'd rather have the physical copy of the game.
Try moving house and see if you're still a fan of game/dvd boxes. And I never read manuals.

I always lose them. Always.
Steam was godsend.

I dunno when I moved to my own place, I just put all my games in one box.. Didn't seem so difficult at the time?

goddammit I have a strict no purchase on release day policy but I dont think I'll be able to pass this one up

Buy it before release day and circumvent your retarded policy.

Hey, does anybody know if there can be blank writable books in skyrim?

Not sure about writable books, but reading books themselves is a lot 'cooler', actually feels like you're reading a book.

Also, SHEATHS! The in-game map is awesome too, 3D and everything.

While I don't trust the gamespot site, one quote stuck out

Skyrim's atmospheric tone harks back to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, only the hazy dust storms of the earlier game have been replaced by glimmering snowfall and opaque fog.

Supposedly, it also has "witty writing" which I find hard to believe, perhaps Bethesda hired a decent writer or two (or gave them ritalin). IGN praised Skyrim for its quality content as well. We'll see, I certainly wouldn't mind these things being true.

I'm finding it a bit shit at the moment.

It feels like Oblivion with a shitter UI (how is that even possible), a shit dialogue system, a shitty combat system that jerks the screen around, no dragging physics objects around (EDIT: You can by holding E, but that's a bit risky since that's also the pick up key), and all the usual console-to-pc hallmarks such as a shit default FoV.

I'm loving it, leagues ahead of Oblivion in so many ways.

Is it really so hard to make a proper PC version?

I thought modern games were too complex to mod?

Given 18 months' time in the hands of the modding community, I guarantee Skyrim will be the ultimate timesink. As it is, after 45 minutes of play....I'm going back to my freshly installed (and f**ked up and reinstalled, and f**ked up again, and reinstalled, damn you Wrye Bash and Deadly Reflex 6) Oblivion with 100+ primo mods. See you in 2013, Nord-land! Hope my visa is still good!

Even on console I know I'm gonna get a tonne of hours outta this baby.

Every time I use a dragon shout I'm going to yell "F*CK" outside my window. This kills the sanity.

rockpapershotgun confirmed paid reviews casual bullshit don't trust anyone f*ck everything

I dunno when I moved to my own place, I just put all my games in one box.. Didn't seem so difficult at the time?

And how often do you look at the cases?

I got a physical copy of Skyrim because it was cheap and still activated on Steam. The box will probably go in a draw and I won't see it again until I move out of here probably!

I can't play this for 11 hours. God damn you work!

Just started playing and am thoroughly pissed at the state of the PC controls. It was almost unplayable. Here's some fixes that are out so far: (All these are in the ini file. Make a backup and so forth)

FOV:
In [General] add "fdefaultfov=XX" to the bottom of the section, where "XX" is the FOV angle. 80 seems to be working for me...might try a little higher. I think default is 60.

V-Sync (oh how I hate you)
Under [Display] add "iPresentInterval=0" to the bottom of the section

Disable smooth mouse:
Under [Controls] change bMouseAcceleration from 1 to 0

Syncing vertical and horizontal mouse sensitivity (I cannot believe this is the default)
Under [Controls] there are two settings:

fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0100
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200

Edit: I'm not finding these settings in my ini file. Anyone else find them?

Change them to be the same.

Making it prettier:
Change bTreesReceiveShadows and bDrawLandShadows both from 0 to 1.

Links to these and other settings:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/m7zja/tweaks_to_make_skyrim_that_much_better/
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1255692-skyrim-pc-ini-and-console-tweaks/
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

Edit #2. It's much better, but the controls still suck for me. The mouse is floaty and lags and I'm trying to find how to successfully sync the x and y axis. I also would like to be able to turn up the mouse sensitivity a lot more than the controls allow. Let me know if anyone finds anymore tweaks por favor.

Hmm, so it seems mouse "lagginess" and possibly x versus y sensitivity may be tied to fps somehow. For me my controls are smooth outdoors, but lag and are "floaty" indoors.

Gamefly told me today that they shipped it to me. Yay. Now I'll see if it's worth the money.

Back