Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Just saw got in a fight solo with a dragon.

Try to run from it, encounter one friendly mammoth.

Said mammoth proceeds to kick the shit out of dragon.

Gods bless this game.

I hope all of you know about Alt to sprint as well.

Beyond hte first dragon, each time i see another dragon circling the countryside I just leave. No way I can tangle with one of those right now. I remember my last experience and he wrecked my shit up. I don't have a billion health potions. Once things like trolls no longer give me immense problems on my own, I might try taking one on... or if I get some kind of fantastic ranged ability, which probably won't happen.

EDIT: Hey Dynasty can you provide a video showing the difference or...?

I keep forgetting to use my shouts in battle. They're so damn cool. And it took me a while to figure out you had to hold your shout button to add the new words and make it more powerful.

And this is my graphics glitch:

Gonna try the graphics tweaks it mentions:

Documents/My? Games/Skyrim and edit SkyrimPrefs.ini

Set these:
iShadowMapResolution=4096 <---- this removes the strobing
fShadowBiasScale=0.1500 <---- this removes the strobing
iShadowMaskQuarter=0
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=5
bFloatPointRenderTarget=1
iShadowFilter=1
iShadowMode=3 <--- cant seem to find this
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bDrawShadows=1
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0

[EDIT]

Holy crap people, seriously do this edit. Shadows look ridiculously amazing now and I have them set, before the edit, to low. No performance hit, they look fuller, smoother, more detailed and dont strobe.

What a difference.

all of them?

I keep forgetting to use my shouts in battle. They're so damn cool. And it took me a while to figure out you had to hold your shout button to add the new words and make it more powerful.

And this is my graphics glitch:

Gonna try the graphics tweaks it mentions:

Documents/My? Games/Skyrim and edit SkyrimPrefs.ini

Set these:
iShadowMapResolution=4096 <---- this removes the strobing
fShadowBiasScale=0.1500 <---- this removes the strobing
iShadowMaskQuarter=0
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=5
bFloatPointRenderTarget=1
iShadowFilter=1
iShadowMode=3 <--- cant seem to find this
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bDrawShadows=1
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0

[EDIT]

Holy crap people, seriously do this edit. Shadows look ridiculously amazing now and I have them set, before the edit, to low. No performance hit, they look fuller, smoother, more detailed and dont strobe.

What a difference.

I've got to try these. I was talking to someone and noticed a tree doing it and it totally distracted me. I don't even know what she said.

Just saw got in a fight solo with a dragon.

Try to run from it, encounter one friendly mammoth.

Said mammoth proceeds to kick the shit out of dragon.

Gods bless this game.

I tried to fight a mammoth. Jesus. Huge mistake. I don't know what it will take to kill one but I didn't even move the health bar and it stomped me in to the ground in a matter of seconds. I didn't even survive long enough to see if other mammoths come to the aid. Ancient Native Americans must have been supreme badasses.

Went through an epic dragon fight just now, just after I went into some ruins in the north west where you
Grab the ancient horn for the greybeard guys as part of the main quest

I leave the ruins, sun glaring, squinting.

Dragon cry, I get giddy. I can hear it but cant see it. Franticly grabbing for my bow. *BOOM* Snow blows everywhere, I turn around and it snaps at my face. Ok, that hurt, RUN AWAY!

It takes off, flies ahead, lands again, and starts attacking a giant. Somehow one of them hits one of the mammoths, and he joins the fight too. Dragon vs Giant vs Mammoth. And then I hear ''Kill it! Kill the dragon!'' as Imperials pour out of a camp, arrows flying. I stood on a huge rock and watched the sheer beautiful chaos below, as one by one, the dragon wiped them out. Flames being breathed left and right. With about 1/5th of it's health left, I charge in. Elven axe flaying, I call down my newly aquired 'Storm Call' and darken the sky, lightning crashing down and striking my foe.

He turns, and with a few swipes to the face, I smash his head sideways, jump onto the back of his neck, and slam down hard into the back of his head. Again and again and again. Jumping off, he crumbles to the floor, I stand victorious, and as I absorb his soul, I start picking at the potential loot from the massacre around me.

I hope all of you know about Alt to sprint as well.

Beyond hte first dragon, each time i see another dragon circling the countryside I just leave. No way I can tangle with one of those right now. I remember my last experience and he wrecked my shit up. I don't have a billion health potions. Once things like trolls no longer give me immense problems on my own, I might try taking one on... or if I get some kind of fantastic ranged ability, which probably won't happen.

EDIT: Hey Dynasty can you provide a video showing the difference or...?
Took me five hours to figure out I could sprint. YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP

Ugh, the UI in this game is the worst that I've seen since Saint's Row 2.

Can someone screencap Khajiits and Argonians for me? Wonder how they look this time.

Ugh, the UI in this game is the worst that I've seen since Saint's Row 2.
"Alright, we've made a semi-interesting top-level menu, quick to access... I guess that means all the sub-menus can just be lists."

"But what about item stats? Comparisons? Sorting? Equipment slots?"

"What about them?"

Regarding the shadow tweaks. It tried them all. Seems to make the shadows a bit better and a little more diffuse. No matter what you do tho, the shadows will shift ever few minutes I think since they don't seem to move in real time. My left arm for a lighting system like crysis in this game.

I'm seriously enjoying my Nord warrior. I've never liked warrior combat before in an elder scrolls game, but it's fun. Just got time slow on blocking a power attack...makes things even more interesting.

How's the story, characters, writing and voice acting, by the way? I've read about some really crappy stuff, including a half-an-hour long MAJESTIC intro that manages to make the creepy and inane Fallout 3 introductory sequence seem a marvel of game design.

How's the story, characters, writing and voice acting, by the way? I've read about some really crappy stuff, including a half-an-hour long MAJESTIC intro that manages to make the creepy and inane Fallout 3 introductory sequence seem a marvel of game design.

All good.

Believe the people you hear though, just because well.. you know, you wouldn't want to be disappointed.

A dragon circled me over and dove in to attack. Started shooting at it. f*ggot flew off. Suck my dick I AM THE LORD OF FEAR.

Hey Dynasty, something in those shadow settings seems to have turned off my dynamic shadows.

seems to be when I turn on that quarter shadow thing.

I guess I didn't understand what you meant by blocky shadows. Changing everything else other than that quarter shadow thing didn't change much of anything, and most of my settings matched what was already in your list.

When shadows get on npcs sometimes they look weird and kind of mesh like or something, I dunno.

It's not bad. You run into the occasional cringe worthy things. But 80% is great imo. The intro isn't that bad and you can just make a save game to skip it after the first run through.

Also,

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

is worthwhile I think. I liked the sharpending mod a lot.

It's not bad. You run into the occasional cringe worthy things. But 80% is great imo. The intro isn't that bad and you can just make a save game to skip it after the first run through.

Also,

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

is worthwhile I think. I liked the sharpending mod a lot.

Those shadow-settings actually cause shadow artifacting in several locations in the game world depending on sun location.

I know because I was using'em earlier, when I climbed the mountain to High Hrothgar, I noticed shadow artifacting so I exited, reverted the settings to default and bam, the artifacting was gone.

And yes, I made sure I had the settings exactly as worded in that.

Mind you, before that I had been playing for several hours without noticing any of these artifacts, but the fact that just one of them pops up with the customized 'tweaks' and doesn't without them makes me wary to use them.

The intro sequence to Half-Life is longer

Do they have spears in this game?

Also, are the difficulty settings like oblivion? Is there a difficulty setting?

Yeah they have like a expert and master setting,playing on master and one on one fights or too easy imo.
And I dind't see any spears sadly :(

Yeah they have like a expert and master setting,playing on master and one on one fights or too easy imo.
And I dind't see any spears sadly :(

Quit complaing about 1v1 fights... fighting humanoids and wolves and draugr and shit aren't supposed to be extremely challenging.

Fight a snow troll and you might very well get creamed.

MOTHER ****ING SNOW LEOPARD ambushed me on my horse and ate it, but I managed to kill the damn thing. Now I'm stuck in a frozen wasteland and trying to get back to whiterun. ARGH! I'm not loading after losing my horse cause that's lame... only ever buying one horse in the game and reloading every time you lose one.

Aaaaaaaaaand caved.

Can someone screencap Khajiits and Argonians for me? Wonder how they look this time.

Here's my Khajiit I just made (he should look less scowly than that, must have caught him mid-blink or something).

59Pob.jpg

Edit: Better shot.

REmA0.jpg

Argonians are pretty hideous, but that's just my IMO as a non-furfag. :v

Also, the intro sequence is pretty short. It probably took me around a half hour, but only because I stopped to read a few long-ish books and looked in all the nooks for extra gold/potions. You'd be able to whizz through in like ten minutes if you wanted.

Yeah I'm going to have to pick this up once I can afford it. Oblivion was horrible... this looks different. I watched a playthrough of the intro and it's not bad at all. I mean yeah it's the standard hand-holding box-in-a-sandbox Bethesda opening, but the crucial differences are: Semi-interesting loot, visually pleasing environments, less-repetitive environments, they didn't waste Patrick Stewart on a character who dies 15 minutes into the game, and you're not fighting ****ing rats to whet your blade.

Quit complaing about 1v1 fights... fighting humanoids and wolves and draugr and shit aren't supposed to be extremely challenging.

Fight a snow troll and you might very well get creamed.

MOTHER ****ING SNOW LEOPARD ambushed me on my horse and ate it, but I managed to kill the damn thing. Now I'm stuck in a frozen wasteland and trying to get back to whiterun. ARGH! I'm not loading after losing my horse cause that's lame... only ever buying one horse in the game and reloading every time you lose one.

I just got into a fight with a bandit chief that I can't seem to win no matter what. He two and one shots me sometimes... doing finishing blows on me. I've taken out two snow trolls with my berserker rage and a lot of potions but I can't beat this guy.

Yeah I'm going to have to pick this up once I can afford it. Oblivion was horrible... this looks different. I watched a playthrough of the intro and it's not bad at all. I mean yeah it's the standard hand-holding box-in-a-sandbox Bethesda opening, but the crucial differences are: Semi-interesting loot, visually pleasing environments, less-repetitive environments, they didn't waste Patrick Stewart on a character who dies 15 minutes into the game, and you're not fighting ****ing rats to whet your blade.

Nah, it has a good balance of everything. You start out in a short locked narrative segment, dragon appears and ****s shit up (sorry spoilers there are dragons), then it puts you in a few corridors with some enemies (human and otherwise) and scatters around a few optional things like "hey you can lockpick this if you want" or "hey you can sneak here if you want." Everything is introduced at a really nice pace without really shoving anything in your face, unlike the horribly protracted Oblivion intro.

Damn though, this is a nice looking game. Details still aren't its strong suit - textures can be muddy, animations stiff, characters janky... but man, those environments. I can see how someone could just get lost in this game.

Those shadow-settings actually cause shadow artifacting in several locations in the game world depending on sun location.

I know because I was using'em earlier, when I climbed the mountain to High Hrothgar, I noticed shadow artifacting so I exited, reverted the settings to default and bam, the artifacting was gone.

And yes, I made sure I had the settings exactly as worded in that.

Mind you, before that I had been playing for several hours without noticing any of these artifacts, but the fact that just one of them pops up with the customized 'tweaks' and doesn't without them makes me wary to use them.

Ya, depends on your setup. Took me 2 days of messing about to hit the perfect mix of performance and visuals on mine.

Yesterday I shouted a bear off a mountaintop.

GOTY IMO.

If my retail copy doesn't arrive in the morning I am going to kill things.

I just got into a fight with a bandit chief that I can't seem to win no matter what. He two and one shots me sometimes... doing finishing blows on me. I've taken out two snow trolls with my berserker rage and a lot of potions but I can't beat this guy.

Main story NPC?

Also, is there a setting between "normal" and "hard"? I heard max hard is just tedious and doesn't allow for much melee play.

Main story NPC?

Also, is there a setting between "normal" and "hard"? I heard max hard is just tedious and doesn't allow for much melee play.

Just some dude in some place.

In a good way. I've been playing on the highest difficulty. It's been fine so far up to level around lvl 10. Though there's a couple areas I will have to come back to. Also, trolls suck.

I really can't decide what is more fun: viking sword/board combat, or assassin dagger/bow combat. But then magic is pretty awesome too....I'm actually going to have to level 3 chararacters just to feel like I've played the game.

So the game decided to give my evil assassin character a stray dog. Upon telling it to go find it's home it gives me a pitiful look, turns around, and lies down on a snow drift in a blizzard. And now I can't get him to respond to me anymore...he's still up there :(

Is that the same girl who got a lot of attention for her Twilight trailer reaction vids and other general hambeastery the other year? Or is this just another fat English chick stupid enough to put herself on youtube?

Anyway, I have been neglecting my entire life for the past two days playing Skyrim. I didn't expect to like it this much, but they've learned A LOT since Oblivion (which was a game I thought was neat but never truly got into). Bethesda is getting better and better at this steadily from Oblivion to FO3 to New Vegas and now Skyrim... can't wait to see what happens next :D

I'm level 17 or so, playing a Nord named Eddard Stark (original huh?). So far I've mostly ignored the main quest, I've probably played about 15 hours and I only just went to see the Greybeards at High Hrothgar (the horse journey to which was one of the most beautiful scenes I've seen in a video game - traveling on a road through a long, narrow valley with a river cascading through it, the pretty town at the foot of the mountain and then the steps all the way up to the monastery.... just incredible). Only killed 2 dragons (including the first quest one) and mostly I've just been exploring the MASSIVE ASS COUNTRYSIDE finding dungeons and clearing them whether I have a relevant quest for them or not.

Mostly focused on heavy armor, two handed weapons, archery, healing magic and enchanting so far.

BTW did anyone else find the first Companion quest insanely difficult? I first tried it at level 8 or 9 and just got annihilated, although I made it to the boss (if you aren't sure what I'm talking about check the spoiler tag), went back every level or two and gave it a try but wasn't successful until level 14 or something like that. Ridiculous.

the area with those creatures whose names I don't remember but are basically goblin elves or some shit... it's some crystal cave / grotto and you fight the goblin elf leader and some absurd Dwarven centurion contraption that's basically a mech / Big Daddy

I am incredibly jealous of the guys whose job it was to design and write all this backstory and world. What an awesome job. Some ex-Dungeon Master turned Bethesda dev is in nerd heaven over there.

I don't go to every place I encounter. Many places yes, but not all. I want to save some for another character, and not get burnt out on dungeon crawling every time I come across one.

Typically when i encounter enemies, bandits/giants/etc who shoo me away and warn me away, I won't engage in. If they attack me, I'll attack back, but my character tries to not be an annihilator.

I don't go to every place I encounter. Many places yes, but not all. I want to save some for another character, and not get burnt out on dungeon crawling every time I come across one.

Typically when i encounter enemies, bandits/giants/etc who shoo me away and warn me away, I won't engage in. If they attack me, I'll attack back, but my character tries to not be an annihilator.
Oh I've only cleared probably 1/4th or less of the dungeons I've found (which is probably 50+ at least since like I said I've been doing a lot of riding my horse around gaping at the depth and beauty of the world).

I tried to kill a giant once, but he came over and one-shotted me with his club and I give the mammoth herders a healthy berth after that.

I've been waiting for my copy of Skyrim to arrive but in the meantime I'm installing this mod to Morrowind and it looks fantastic

Back