Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Wat. Some parts of the UI may have been serviceable, but there is no defending the godawful journal system. Having to comb through pages of writing to find the info relevant to a specific quest was terrible, and the stages of the quest weren't even organized together. I understand the chronological method would make it more immersive, but with no way to search or organize the journal topics, it was unforgivable.

Well the journal was less then stellar, but you could at least search by topic, it wasn't THAT bad. But I meant the inventory/status/spell/map screen. Right click and everything is there, no slow bullshit menus, it was all there as fast as you could click, and organized so a retard could get it just by looking at it.

Morrowind journal before the expansion pack(s) was horrible, since the entire journal was sorted chronologically and that was the only way one could sort it. Luckily Tribunal added the ability to sort by quest and such.

Any good armor mods out? I found an amazing sword mod, but the only armor mods I can find is just shit for making female characters look slutty.

Finally broke down and bought the game on Amazon for $47.99 (shipping and handling was $3.99). Not too bad for what some say is one of the best role-playing games ever conceptualized. I'll make sure to download the keyboard mapping mod so I can easily rectify the mistakes that Bethesda so stupidly ignored; in fact, one thing will lead to another and I will more than likely end up completely transmogrifying Skyrim like I did Oblivion. The silly console port is going to need a dose of anesthesia for all the remedies I'll be injecting into it.

Or I'll use AutoHotKey. Pains me to have to utilize external applications to do what Bethesda could not.

Yeah but did you honestly expect anything different? Even before the console focus?

No, but I definitely didn't expect them to take a step back from Oblivion.

It's not perfect but other than Gothic2 which is also flawed I can't think of another (Action)RPG that comes close.

Have you played Arx Fatalis?

It's a pretty fantastic Action-RPG by the same guys who did Dark Messiah: Might and Magic.

The reason the Skyrim disc is still in my 360 is because I'm hunting down the two final achievements. Content-wise, I feel that this game is better than Oblivion and I got out of the game what I expected to, however it's not the pinnacle of Action-RPG entertainment. Also, I don't like how Bethesda shafted the PC/PS3 users (the latter had that memory, lagging issue).

I don't know, sometimes I think Oblivion was a brilliant marketing strategy for Skyrim. Any step up in quality is going to make the game seem amazing by comparison.

Started a thief character that focuses in melee and illusion. Illusion is so damn fun.. driving people to insanity while hiding in the shadows, then finishing them off with a sword through the back.

Have you played Arx Fatalis?

It's a pretty fantastic Action-RPG by the same guys who did Dark Messiah: Might and Magic.

yes I have it on CD somewhere I never finished it but from what I remember it was a indeed a very fun Game.

Just got all 50 achievements, and completed everything else in the game (except all the misc quests), it's time to shelve my level 51 Imperial and wait to see if Bethesda can craft any worthy adventures for DLC. Supposedly, there are supposed to be less of them than Fallout 3 but more "substantial" according to some random online article.

Just one request to Beth, if you add more landmass, please: no more snow.

I've played Skyrim for around 50+ and I have mixed feelings about it.

Can't say that I haven't enjoyed it, because well, I played 50+ hours of it, but the more I played it, the less I liked it. It has a large world (I wouldn't call it huge though) and you are free to roam in it, it has lots of quests, some interesting features like item crafting etc., but ultimately it feels... somewhat shallow. Perhaps I grew tired of Bethesda's formula, having played Oblivion and their Fallout's (which I enjoyed), but I still feel that Skyrim had less substance than they did.

The quests are uninspired and repetetive. They were fine at first, but after I had to go to a cave of a dwarven ruin for the nth time, at some point I just started running through them, looting only the more important corpses (mob chiefs etc.) and opening the big, exposed chests that were bound to contain something that's not completely useless.

I also don't like how the world revolves around you - OK you are the Dragonborn, but why is it that you are the only person that isn't retarded enough to figure out locations of artifacts that were lost for hundreds of years? You basically find something long lost or solve some big mystery every other day. NPCs also seem to have no problem asking strangers (ie. you) to deliver important documents or items to other people. Or you join a guild/faction and heeeey - a week doesn't pass and you're the head of that guild, having done 4 jobs for it

NPCs need to shut the **** up when I'm talking to someone else. "OK, so here's the plan to save the world, we infil--" THE COLD AIR IN SKYRIM IS EXHILARATING --"--nce the Thalmor soldiers dis--MY MOTHER TAUGHT ME TO USE A SWORD, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?. Goddamn.

I also don't understand how few people liked Oblivion, but suddenly Skyrim is oh so much better and everyone loves it - it has a lot of the same annoyances. *snatches something of a table* "YOU THIEVING SCUM!" *talks to the NPC who said that* "Come back anytime you need a remedy! :)" Voice acting - I still heard the same voices used over and over again. If you want to reuse voices, at least find less distinct ones, don't get someone sounding like Arnold Schwarzenegger. And how hard can it be to write a few additional lines for characters, so that I don't hear every merchant using the phrase "Some may call this junk, me - I call them treasures".

That's it for now. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I think people give it too much credit. I just can't take the world seriously with all the shenanigans going on.

About two hours into my first playthrough, I realised two things. One, I hate the form of almost every single RPG mechanic in the game, especially the skill trees and class-ification. And two, I only like Elder Scrolls games for the exploration and ad-hoc adventuring, not the story or questlines or combat. I haven't touched the game since, and I probably won't again unless I or someone else decides to mod it into something almost completely different.

So Steam thinks I have 75 hours played, but I really have no idea how I spent that much time with it. I guess that's a testament to its addictiveness once you get into the flow of things, but as it stands I really can't find the motivation to come back to it any more. Could just be the way I play it, but the rigmarole of questing and dungeoning becomes such a chore after a while. The thing that really kills it for me is offloading loot - at level ~35-40 (I forget exactly how high I am) I have to burn through all of the vendors in Windhelm and then half again in Whiterun just to get rid of a full haul, and I don't even have any capacity bonuses minus the weightless armor perk. The way they modelled the economy is just so goddamn ****ing lazy that I can't even be bothered modding it - it'd be absurdly difficult to balance it properly anyway. That sums up several aspects of the game, really - they put an incredible amount of care and attention into some things, like the environments (limited colour palette or not), but everything else is just kind of... lazy. Combat works, but not well enough to care about. Quests are... there. Characters... exist. Can't agree with Unfocussed enough about the special treatment you get, either. It extends well beyond just being THA CHOZEN WUN, it's visible in every facet of the game, right down to the completely unnatural ambient NPC dialog, and they make absolutely zero attempt to conceal it. I'm actually only becoming fully aware of this as I type it, but the very notion that your character should be hoisted up above everyone else in the world, that you have a priveledged position in everything you do, is so antithetical to the notion of a believable, liveable, immersible open world that I really can't imagine wanting to play it any more. Ugh, I just completely ruined it for myself...

And yet, despite being hugely negative about it just now, I still think it's a remarkably well-made game in some respects. It's just deeply flawed at a design level. IMO.

I put over 100 hours into Skyrim, and honestly I was disgusted with the game after I completed all the achievements. Sure, the environments are well-done but the game just has this...bland atmosphere. Damn, New Vegas felt like a welcoming mother's bosom compared to Skyrim.

I'm probably going to take some heat for saying this, but in some very vague ways I can't explain, I enjoyed Oblivion more. That probably sounds crazy, I think I've been up too long.

Pardon me.

I think I enjoyed Oblivion more too. But then again, as I said, it was the first of a string of Bethesda games, so it all felt more fresh.

Really quite amazing to see 90% of the stuff that should have been included in vanilla anyways ;)

Also, did I just see that Nord use a chain whip?

It makes you wonder what kind of decision making results in the game turning out how it did.
If they had creative week every quarter during development how different would the game have turned out? I would imagine it would be better by an order of magnitude.

Yea, wtf is this 'creative week' shit. It's a video game, it should've been "creative 4 year development" for ****s sake.

That chain whip better spawn a castlevania mod atleast.

Yea, wtf is this 'creative week' shit. It's a video game, it should've been "creative 4 year development" for ****s sake.

What's sad is that this is Bethesda's idea of creative. I'd like the lycanthropy skill tree to be added so that being a werewolf is actually useful.

Oh wow that really annoyed me. So much shit that could have made the game more well-rounded and dynamic. Hard to care about it now. :(

All this video did is make it clear how many simple things this game is missing. They should release that shit for free given how apparently easy it was to do, and how most of it should have been included anyway. Dark dungeons? Proper water shaders? Come on.

Back