Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

It's not perfect but other than Gothic2 which is also flawed I can't think of another (Action)RPG that comes close.

I have played Gothic 3, I found it to be one of the most depressing games I have ever played. I am not sure if I can pinpoint the very reason. I've heard of the many claims that Gothic 2 is better than Morrowind and the TES series, but I am not sure I could get into it after my experiences with G3. Even though I've been tempted to try it.

Keep in mind, I love difficult RPGs and I really liked what it had to offer. No doubt it has a lot more immersion, survival, and roleplaying elements than TES, but it lacks charm and character. It was an incredibly isolating experience, that coupled with the NPC dialogue and sad music made it a really weird experience for me. It was one of the only games that made me feel incredibly conscious and guilty for playing a game instead of doing something else. It was just kind of like, me running around this huge open world, all alone, killing animals and then skinning them... not being able to connect with any of the characters in the game. Basically, this game made me feel like a true hermit.

/weird rant

o1cv6.jpg

New mod guys.

I've lost any motivation to continue playing Skyrim after watching that "creative week" video, mostly because there is little point in going through the whole experience (and subsequently making any future playthroughs redundant) until some heavy mods are implemented. In addition to that, I am still kind of bitter after watching that video and feel grumpy while running through vanilla Skyrim, knowing that so many features are absent.

It is ****ing ridiculous that they came up with all that content in one week and its not in the game. What the **** did they expect when they released that video?
Everyone to go 'OH WOW GUYZ youre so smart and creative you came up with that so quick'

Get the **** outta here, more like 'you assclowns why isnt this in already if your so damn smart and quick and creative'.

Yeah Im also feeling kind of bitter.

I beat it and most quests, logged probably around 100 hours (me and my girlfriend played, steam says 178 hrs but not all mine obvs), and I haven't touched it in like a month/month and a half. I just looked up mods the other day (when I posted the moon gusta pic), and there still are almost no good ones. A few fixes here and there, but no solid quest mods or anything..

I'm beginning to lose hope that Skyrim will one day be as awesome as it should've been.

I beat it and most quests, logged probably around 100 hours (me and my girlfriend played, steam says 178 hrs but not all mine obvs), and I haven't touched it in like a month/month and a half. I just looked up mods the other day (when I posted the moon gusta pic), and there still are almost no good ones. A few fixes here and there, but no solid quest mods or anything..

I'm beginning to lose hope that Skyrim will one day be as awesome as it should've been.
The mod tools just came out a few days ago bro

Ah that explains it then lol. I've been completely ignorant to any Skyrim news since I stopped playing. It was supposed to be released in January, no? Bethesda are ****ing retards.

Plus the mod tools are broken. Quest mods are doable, but custom terrain is broken without using 3 third-party programs that sort of get it to work. Navmeshes are also broken for custom levels.

I have played Gothic 3, I found it to be one of the most depressing games I have ever played. I am not sure if I can pinpoint the very reason. I've heard of the many claims that Gothic 2 is better than Morrowind and the TES series, but I am not sure I could get into it after my experiences with G3. Even though I've been tempted to try it.

Keep in mind, I love difficult RPGs and I really liked what it had to offer. No doubt it has a lot more immersion, survival, and roleplaying elements than TES, but it lacks charm and character. It was an incredibly isolating experience, that coupled with the NPC dialogue and sad music made it a really weird experience for me. It was one of the only games that made me feel incredibly conscious and guilty for playing a game instead of doing something else. It was just kind of like, me running around this huge open world, all alone, killing animals and then skinning them... not being able to connect with any of the characters in the game. Basically, this game made me feel like a true hermit.

/weird rant
I also played G3 for a few minutes...very regrettable purchase.G2 is the best in the series for sure.

Lol, after typing that I actually went ahead and installed G2. Ended up playing for a couple hours and it is indeed better than 3. Still don't understand combat, at all. I know there are two combat types "Gothic 1" and "Gothic 2", went with Gothic 2 type, and it's still involves me frantically swinging my weapon in desperation while button mashing WSAD to avoid death (because this game is hurdddd). Sometimes I destroy an enemy in two hits, other times a little wolf will do the same to me.

G1 has also a great story but it's very rough around the edges though.yeah the combat in G2 I'm to fond of either...same reason I don't like the Witcher but the the world and the way the characters interact is pretty damn cool.

Gothic 1 is the only Gothic I have played to near completion, I stopped when I realized I had done very poor choices when leveling and I was basically ****ed.

Haven't had the motivation to start a new playthrough after that.

I did a 180 twice with Gothic 2 over the past three days. I went from hating it, to loving it, to hating it again; it turns out since I have Gothic 2: GOLD installed, that included Night of The Raven, which not only expands the game, but changes item stats and makes it a near impossibly difficult. I guess the devs did this because hardcore fans complained that G2 was too easy. So right now I am installing regular G2.
Seriously, Gothic 2: Night of the Raven is probably the most difficult game I have played in my life. Without exaggerating, it seemed to me that my chances of successfully surviving a fight with a low level was around 10%..

Anyways, other than that the game grew on me pretty quick. Weird characters, more interesting setting than TES, full voice acting (albeit charmingly awful)
If I can't manage to survive Gothic 2 I guess I will just go and finally get around to Risen.

As he says in the very beginning of the video, they have no plans so far as to what will be DLC, what will be free, or what won't be included at all. Though now that mod tools are out, I expect we'll see some of these things make it in either way.

I'm not sure what percentage of the quests in the game I've done, but I'm pretty sure that I've done most of them.

Exploring is not so fun anymore, and my interest in the game has dropped considerably. In fact, I'm just waiting for some awesome mod to pique my interest again.

Just saving my strength for Risen 2.

(you get to be captain of a ship and control your pet monkey to steal things, **** yeah)

I'm not sure what percentage of the quests in the game I've done, but I'm pretty sure that I've done most of them.

Exploring is not so fun anymore, and my interest in the game has dropped considerably. In fact, I'm just waiting for some awesome mod to pique my interest again.

Exactly this. Honestly I've started like 5 different chars and through exploring there isn't one quest that I haven't seen before..

Just saving my strength for Risen 2.

(you get to be captain of a ship and control your pet monkey to steal things, **** yeah)

Don't forget the guns!

The ****ing guns!

Yes, I am excited about muskets for sure. Magic has been replaced with voodoo as well. I am not sure how I feel about this, but I hear "magic" is now a purely secondary skill since it doesn't relate to the universe as well. They have said that you can make voodoo dolls of specific characters throughout the game to take control of at certain points if you side with natives. Sounds like an awesome idea but not fully utilized since it's only used at key points :/

I don't know why it took me so long to realize, but thief or sneaky classes are some of the most deceiving classes to play in Oblivion and Skyrim. By deceiving I mean, falsely alluring. Even more so than warrior or mage. Archery, sneak, pickpocketing, etc are some of the most fun things to do beginning game; when it takes presence of mind, and actual skill. However, it is easily one of the most boring and repetitious things to play mid-late game. Stealing becomes unrealistically easy, and critical hits become absurd. So mid-late game sneak gameplay consists of constantly crouching and one-shotting everything at a distance, rinse and repeat.

Whenever some good mods come out, I might try to play as a mage for once.

I have a Wood Elf Thief and all my stealth skills are maxed. I literally just sneak-roll everywhere and through some items I got from the Dark Brotherhood quest line and the perks with sneak I just one-hit every single person with my stealth bonus. I literally just roll around and kill everyone (I haven't played him in a while but I think it was something like x30 sneak bonus and my dagger does like 70 or something, so I do 70x30 every single time...). I stopped playing that character because it was so stupidly easy. I could kill people right in front of other people and get away with it free and clear. No one could see me while I was sneaking even if I was right in front of them.

I agree with everything you said.

I just borrowed Skyrim from a relative recently and started a Nord warrior character. Yeah I know, I'm a little late coming to this game but it happens all the time as I'm a broke bastard 90% of the time.

Anyways I must say, even for a vanilla release, it's a huge improvement over Oblivion, which was an unplayable, half-baked mess without modding it to hell. I used Oscuro's Overhaul, deadly reflexes, some mod that improves magic animation, just to name a few. Playing the 360 version though this time. My PC might could run it, but I don't have the time for modding and performance tweaking these days, so I'd rather just play the damn game without worrying about all that stuff.

Hard as hell in the early game on expert mode. Not many places you can go without getting your ass smeared by a frostbite spider, troll, highwayman, dragon, or bandit brigands.
I'm currently lv 10 and still haven't left the area beyond Whiterun as I can't seem to find many areas or quests that's beginner friendly. Any leveling tips? I've just been doing the standard "kill-loot bodies" formula made popular in just about any other Bethesda game so I can make some money and using a stolen horse to haul stuff when over encumbered.

Can't wait to see how the game and the story unfolds in the later levels.

I just borrowed Skyrim from a relative recently and started a Nord warrior character. Yeah I know, I'm a little late coming to this game but it happens all the time as I'm a broke bastard 90% of the time.

Anyways I must say, even for a vanilla release, it's a huge improvement over Oblivion, which was an unplayable, half-baked mess without modding it to hell. I used Oscuro's Overhaul, deadly reflexes, some mod that improves magic animation, just to name a few. Playing the 360 version though this time. My PC might could run it, but I don't have the time for modding and performance tweaking these days. I'd rather just play the damn game without worrying about all that stuff.

Hard as hell in the early game on expert mode. Not many places you can go without getting your ass smeared by a frostbite spider, troll, highwayman, dragon, or bandit brigands. I'm currently lv 10 and still haven't left the area beyond Whiterun as I can't seem to find many areas or quests that's beginner friendly. Any leveling tips? I've just been doing the standard "kill-loot bodies" formula made popular in just about any other Bethesda game so I can make some money and using a stolen horse to haul stuff when over encumbered.

Can't wait to see how the game and the story unfolds in the later levels.

Just start out doing little fetch quests for villagers until you gain a few levels and some decent equipment.

Holy shit I laughed. That's also exactly how I feel about this dragon word business.

I've installed the War In Skyrim mod, and it does give you more incentive to actually travel around. More fun with random encounters that way.

I've also found out that there was a quest "The Whispering Door" is whiterun that could only be obtained by asking the innkeeper for rumors. Shit. Now I'm goging to have to ask every innkeeper I see for rumors, because I must have missed a lot of non-misc quests this way. Also, a few of the places I thought I couldn't go to weren't unreachable. So, possibly more quests that way.

Just so the PC players know, there's currently a Skyrim beta and a Steam client beta available. I believe they're both mostly related to the Steam Workshop stuff.

is there a way to see if the rig (laptop) you have can run Skyrim?

is there a way to see if the rig (laptop) you have can run Skyrim?

Umm... check it's specs and compare it with the system requirements.

There's no Skyrim benchmark that you could run on your PC to check that, AFAIK.

Back