F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin

You people who are pissed off with the ghosts in the game did play the original right to the end dint you? The ghosts are the same kind of thing as the demons, so it surprises people are dismissing the game based on this.

^^This

They are basically the same thing only translucent this time...

You people who are pissed off with the ghosts in the game did play the original right to the end dint you? The ghosts are the same kind of thing as the demons, so it surprises people are dismissing the game based on this.

I haven't played the original FEAR in a long time, how the hell should I know mr. semi-invisible ghost wannabe has mommy issues and takes them out on people in hallways?

What kind of ghost is affected by bullets anyway? We get it, you died in a horrible fashion and now all you can do is float around and scare people. Get a ****ing hobby...

and whats the deal with alma...****ing get over it already....you and your stupid little bear are pissing everybody off. If i find that bitch in any physical form im going to jam my rifle up her butthole.

bullshit, nobody likes the ghosts...bring on the humans and lets bake this cake.

Erm...the whole game centers around a ghost and her army of demons, now why in the hell would you play the game if you didn't like ghosts?

Surely if this was the case the demo would be steam only as well

No that's horrible reasoning. A demo is a demo it doesn't have to use the platform they plan to release on.

As for the ghosts who cares? Click, bang, no more ghost.

If the ghosts didn't hurt you then why would you feel the need to be scared of them? It isn't real life, your not going to just get s**t up by harmless pixels flying at you. It's part of the whole scare factor. I thought the demo was really good, classic FEAR. I have a pretty high end machine so was confused by the random few second pauses every now and then, I'm hoping this is just a compatibility issue because I tried turning it all down and it still happened. Overall I will be getting this as I loved the original FEAR, though its unwanted offspring not so much...

I agree, it's silly that you can "kill" ghosts with a machinegun. If they were vulnerable to the energy based weapons (laser, plasma gun) that would've made more sense.

In the room with the bus falling down I remember saying out loud "It's getting laggy in here time to leave".

I agree, it's silly that you can "kill" ghosts with a machinegun. If they were vulnerable to the energy based weapons (laser, plasma gun) that would've made more sense.

Not really. Maybe they are scared off by the sound and muzzle flash (ignore the fact you have to hit them).

I always hate it when people knock play testers in gameplay videos. If they were awesome at the game and just went through quickly and efficiently we would miss half the game, and only get some play.

Never understood the hype of this game series. It's too gimmicky for my taste.
Story isn't exactly original. It's "The Ring" crammed into a first person shooter.
If it wasn't for the gore and slow mo, half of you wouldn't even bother with it.

No that's horrible reasoning. A demo is a demo it doesn't have to use the platform they plan to release on.

As for the ghosts who cares? Click, bang, no more ghost.

No, your missing the point, with the demo comes the .exe and .dll files that can be used to run the game in a stand alone environment, it's possible that with these the need for steam on the retail version can be bypassed.
Every steam game that has been released to only use steam has had a demo that you also require steam for, that's the way it works and the same reason why HL2 and Left4Dead's demos where still requiring steam.
So it's not unreasonable to come to such a conclusion.

By the way, has anyone else found that on a second playthrough, things like boosters and intel are not there, but you already have them all at the start?

Just finished with the demo of one of my most anticipated games of this year and i'm definitely not buying it now. I've cancelled my pre-order until Monolith removes the letterboxing and reduces the size of that stupid HUD. I'm really disappointed they claimed this was not a port but the letterboxing and lack of quicksaves prove otherwise. The AI seem dumber than the original and it just doesn't fell like a PC game like the last one, Consoles have yet again ****ed up one of my favourite PC games.

Never understood the hype of this game series. It's too gimmicky for my taste.
Story isn't exactly original. It's "The Ring" crammed into a first person shooter.
If it wasn't for the gore and slow mo, half of you wouldn't even bother with it.

Playing the demo, which had neither slow mo or any more gore than most games...I loved the gameplay.

Believe it or not, most of us aren't kids who's favorite movie is The Matrix and we like to put snakes between our bike spokes and have someone else turn the wheels...

Well, that last part might be me...

No, your missing the point, with the demo comes the .exe and .dll files that can be used to run the game in a stand alone environment, it's possible that with these the need for steam on the retail version can be bypassed.
Every steam game that has been released to only use steam has had a demo that you also require steam for, that's the way it works and the same reason why HL2 and Left4Dead's demos where still requiring steam.
So it's not unreasonable to come to such a conclusion.

By the way, has anyone else found that on a second playthrough, things like boosters and intel are not there, but you already have them all at the start?

Doesn't matter Steam is so easy to crack. I remember one of the guys who made Sin Episodes were complaining that pirates were using the same method to crack Sin as they did HL2.Valve haven't updated the security of Steam in a long time. Steams protection is weak and will be broken soon after release anyway Saints Row 2 is a good example.

Just finished with the demo of one of my most anticipated games of this year and i'm definitely not buying it now. I've cancelled my pre-order until Monolith removes the letterboxing and reduces the size of that stupid HUD. I'm really disappointed they claimed this was not a port but the letterboxing and lack of quicksaves prove otherwise. The AI seem dumber than the original and it just doesn't fell like a PC game like the last one, Consoles have yet again ****ed up one of my favourite PC games.

Talk about an over reaction, The Witcher has these black bars for 16:10 resolutions and that's not even a port, and seriously, what is everyones problem with the HUd, it's fine, does it's job and for me at least is no way obtrusive.
After playing the demo through a good number of times, this game is very much Fear, and they have in no way ruined it as some people are claiming.
The gameplay is nigh on the same as the original.

I thought it was ****ing phenomenal. Though the first game was and will always be better. I do hate the fact they defaulted motion blur, it completely ruins the experience because you actually miss a lot of details having that on. Also what the hell was with the pre-rendered intro. Not in depth enough (the 1st FEAR's intro was AMAZING) and not rendered in real time (at least not all of it, unlike the 1st one).

Definitely best part was right after the cafeteria scene where you mow down like 5 or 6 replica soldiers with that new assault rifle you just picked up and go through that rear hallway. You hear that audio buzz like Alma is about to walk across the ceiling or you see some shadow of her, but you see nothing. Then in typical FEAR fashion you turn around (maybe you missed something).. and ****ing BAM!. That scared the living shit outta me.

Wait... I thought you were talking about this demo.

Nah, the first one. He was talking about the majority of people who like this game are those who like the slo-mo and gore. I was arguing his point with the first one. My bad.

*EDIT* I should have said MULTIPLAYER Demo.

Erm...the whole game centers around a ghost and her army of demons, now why in the hell would you play the game if you didn't like ghosts?

The majority of time is spent shooting at sentient beings or at least physical or mechanical objects...the ghost-ish part of the game is just for story...and that's where it should stay.

I didn't like dealing with those bastards in the original but I still enjoyed the other parts of the game.

It's like not wanting to play half-life because you hate barnacles...

Talk about an over reaction, The Witcher has these black bars for 16:10 resolutions and that's not even a port, and seriously, what is everyones problem with the HUd, it's fine, does it's job and for me at least is no way obtrusive.
After playing the demo through a good number of times, this game is very much Fear, and they have in no way ruined it as some people are claiming.
The gameplay is nigh on the same as the original.

It's not an overreaction when the blackbars take up more of the screen than the game. I only have a 19" 4:3 monitor so having more than half of it black with the addition of the most intrusive HUD i've ever seen in a FPS is a disgrace. Why do i need a fishbowl round my HUD?

I don't get any blackbars at all on The Witcher because i using 4:3 resolution. Letterboxing has more of an impact if your playing on a 4:3 resolution than at a 16:10 res.
And i still believe this is a port. No quick save, No lean,unable to bind additional mouse buttons, dumbed down gameplay for consoles(Hard mode is too easy, yet normal on Fear was a challenge). Oh and what's with the Enemies highlighting during slowmo?

It's the little things scream port. How many PC FPS say "press space bar" to start?

You hear that audio buzz like Alma is about to walk across the ceiling or you see some shadow of her, but you see nothing. Then in typical FEAR fashion you turn around (maybe you missed something).. and ****ing BAM!. That scared the living shit outta me.

This is one of the many reasons I think fear isn't phenomenal. It does this over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. So gimmicky.

It's not an overreaction when the blackbars take up more of the screen than the game. I only have a 19" 4:3 monitor so having more than half of it black with the addition of the most intrusive HUD i've ever seen in a FPS is a disgrace. Why do i need a fishbowl round my HUD?

I don't get any blackbars at all on The Witcher because i using 4:3 resolution. Letterboxing has more of an impact if your playing on a 4:3 resolution than at a 16:10 res.
And i still believe this is a port. No quick save, No lean,unable to bind additional mouse buttons, dumbed down gameplay for consoles(Hard mode is too easy, yet normal on Fear was a challenge). Oh and what's with the Enemies highlighting during slowmo?

It's the little things scream port. How many PC FPS say "press space bar" to start?

I never implied it wasn't a port, and yes, I've seen screenshots of it on a 4:3 monitor, and the hud is translucent anyhow, so you can see through it, and it's only a few bars around the outside of the screen, which a hardly intrusive, with a health meter etc at the bottom, which every FPS has.
The black bars I'm sure can become annoying on a full screen monitor, although they are bound to fix this in a patch as I'm sure the consile version doesn not have them when played full screen.
No quick saves means nothing, it just means it was a design decision as with the enemy highlights, and so far, in these levels with only one way through a situation unlike the original fears many flanking routes, the AI hasn't yet had a chance to show what it can do, when the full game arrives we'll see if the complaint still stands.

I'm on a 16:10 monitor, so the black bars really do not annoy me, and the gameplay in the short demo so far is so very much FEAR. I'm sorry your having issues on your monitor and if that's too annoying for you then do as you must, but you'll miss out on what I feel is going to be great.

When I installed it on steam it has an error saying FEAR 2: Project Origin stopped working

:frown::dozey::borg::eek:

The majority of time is spent shooting at sentient beings or at least physical or mechanical objects...the ghost-ish part of the game is just for story...and that's where it should stay.

I didn't like dealing with those bastards in the original but I still enjoyed the other parts of the game.

It's like not wanting to play half-life because you hate barnacles...

That's silly. You can't seperate the story from the game, as the ghostly things even in the first one, happen in game. Hell you even fight ghosts in the first one.
That's like sitting down to eat a tuna sandwich because you like bread, but then complain that you have to eat the tuna with it.
If you only like shooting humans, go play CoD.

Where does the demo end for everyone? I got to the part with the big ass mech thing, got in, started mowing a few others down then it ended :(

Demo ended for me once you take 2 left turns in that mecha, at which point the enemy mecha smashes through the wall.

It was ok but it gave me a vibe of playing the Quake 4 demo, so I can only assume this is a bad thing. Guess I'll wait until the full game comes out until I pass judgment.

That's not a fix, that's just switching aspect ratios, that causes it to look stretched, which was pointed out in that thread. The black bars are there because they limited the game to 16:9, the standard HDTV aspect ratio, like 1280x720 (720p), and almost all widescreen computer monitors are 16:10 (1680x1050, 1440x900, etc.).

Until there actually is a fix for it, if your monitor isn't 16:9 you'll have to settle with either black borders, or stretching (which would be even worse on non-widescreen 4:3 monitors).

^^ what he said.

What pisses me off is that the option for multiple image formats is STANDARD in all games. Why the hell did they have to limit it to HD format?

It worked fine for me.. but then again, I have an HD screen.
I loved the demo, although I won't buy it.

FEAR will always remain in my memory because of Alma. One scene stands out for me.

Can never remember when it happens in the game, but youre in a vent, its really dark and theres 2 beams of light coming through the fans on the side of the vents, as you get close to the first light Alma comes crawling really fast at you on all fours, only for about a second, then disappears, but ***k me did I scream.

This download is taking forever thanks to Virgin randomly assigning it's speed between 6kbs and 190kbs.

Played the Demo...dear god, did I scream/jump on so many occasions.

Back