Films: Rate and Discuss

World's Best Dad - 7/10

Rented this tonight. Pretty good, funny almost throughout. The characters evoke real emotion and the story is extremely unique. A few twists and turns as well that you don't expect.

District 9 - 9/10

After an incredibly slow and almost dull start, to the point where I stopped watching the film about a minute before it apparently 'gets good', where you-know-what happens, I decided to finally watch the rest of it last night to see if it DID get better.

Glad I did.

Great mix of gruesome sci-fi makeup. And then the guns, cool effects etc. I quite liked the way it was shot as well.

And considering it was whats-his-name's film debut, he did a pretty decent job.

I liked the whole film in the end, its just a shame it only kicks off half-way through.

That's funny, because I thought the first half edged out the second.

I thought the movie was fairly intense and interesting from start to finish.
No idea how you could think it had a dull start, I mean unless you had no interest in learning a little backstory.

I agree with with the green fairy, the first half of District 9 was better than the second. It just got totally ridiculous after they took the bandages off.

Escape from LA - 8/10

It's better then Escape from NY because Snake surfs in this one, it's totally rad, dudes. And he glides on a hang glider while shooting bitches.

Blade Runner, 30mins in. Total boring price of shit. Don't know if I'll bother finishing it.

Blade Runner, 30mins in. Total boring price of shit. Don't know if I'll bother finishing it.

Try a Michael Bay film. I'm sure something will explode in the first 5 minutes, and you won't have to worry about paying attention to any pesky story lines or character development.

I also thought it was quite slow and haven't watched it the whole way through :| Still I thought it was better than 2001 a space odyssey.

Yes you read that right. Bite me :)

Blade Runner was an absolute masterpiece, I was en captivated by it, the soundtrack was just out of this world.

Yeah, I felt bad for hating it. Maybe it's just becuase I'm playing it through Iplayer or something but the sound levels were ****ing terrible. Was very hard to make out what people were saying.

There's like a million different cuts of the film as well.

Blade Runner is great the second time through.

First time I watched it I was a little confused and/or bored.

But then I realised when it was made, which blew me away.

Yeah, I felt bad for hating it. Maybe it's just becuase I'm playing it through Iplayer or something but the sound levels were ****ing terrible. Was very hard to make out what people were saying.

Dude you need to watch it when it's playing at your local Arts cinema or some such and I'd recommend the latest directors cut. Where in you can take in the visual richness.

Avatar Story 5/10 Effects Must see at Cinema/10

Just got back from watching it and have to say that albeit the storyline is utter hokum, the digital effects work was beyond my expectations, especially when it came to the Navi, their expressions and the environment. It's so there, that you kind of have to remind yourself at times that what's on the screen is just CGI. Not all of it was perfect (the 6 legged horse creatures were a bit meh) and the 3D was kind of distracting at times, but on the whole it was a pretty seamless experience.

Like Jurassic park was, it's one to go see at the Cinema, simply because that's the environment it's meant to be experienced in. Even if your crazy enough to be able to buy a 3D TV the sense of scale isn't going to translate to the small screen.

Law Abiding Citizen - 9/10

This movie was really damn good. It was weird seeing Gerard Butler talk in an American accent lol. I don't want to give it away, but the way the story started out, and the ending that you got kind of sucked ass.

Gerard Butler should have lived, the way they start this movie off you feel for him and sympathize with him, so when he dies at the end it's just bullshit. And they start the movie out making Jamie Fox look like a douche, so you want him to die, yet he lives and GB dies. BULLSHIT

The Wrestler: 9/10

Okay so you know when you've seen a movie so many times, sometimes you're just waiting for the end to come because that's the climax/good part? I mean the rest of the movie is still really, really good, but you want it to get to the best part. I've seen The Wrestler about five times now and that still hasn't happened.

This movie is all about tone and it keeps it the entire time; but it doesn't get over-depressed or plain. The subtleties in The Wrestler are great and pretty much make the movie. The walking scenes are so, so simple yet really develop the character. Oh, and the ending is awesome.

It's just really, really good. Watch it.

There's really nothing negative I can say about The Wrestler. It was simply brilliant.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 9/10

A truly beautiful film. I loved it, for the second time, from start to finish. It's heavily romantic without any of the cheese, and the life of Benjamin Button filmed shows that he lived a wonderful one. This movie really makes you feel the impermanence of life and how unexpectedly short it can be. I love all of the symbols in the movie with the impending hurricane in modern time, the dying old people, the backwards clock and all of the adventures that Benjamin goes through. The romances between Benjamin and Tilda Swinton's character, and then Cate Blanchett's character are so mesmerizing and inspiring. They seem like perfect people, despite the flaws they have. The amount of love in this film is so heartwarming.

The cinematography and music greatly compliment the romance and impermanance of the story. I love the scenes set in snow, where you can see every flake of snow drop as a gentle duet of piano and harp play.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 9/10

A truly beautiful film. I loved it, for the second time, from start to finish. It's heavily romantic without any of the cheese, and the life of Benjamin Button filmed shows that he lived a wonderful one. This movie really makes you feel the impermanence of life and how unexpectedly short it can be. I love all of the symbols in the movie with the impending hurricane in modern time, the dying old people, the backwards clock and all of the adventures that Benjamin goes through. The romances between Benjamin and Tilda Swinton's character, and then Cate Blanchett's character are so mesmerizing and inspiring. They seem like perfect people, despite the flaws they have. The amount of love in this film is so heartwarming.

The cinematography and music greatly compliment the romance and impermanance of the story. I love the scenes set in snow, where you can see every flake of snow drop as a gentle duet of piano and harp play.
I've never seen that film becuase of the pretentious name.

I will make up my own mind, thank you, if the case of Bejamin Button is indeed curious.

I've never seen that film becuase of the pretentious name.

I will make up my own mind, thank you, if the case of Bejamin Button is indeed curious.
Are you serious? You know the title is taken from the F. Scott Fitzgerald short story released in 1922?

Of course, maybe you're just trying to be witty. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

:cat:Meow:cat:

Honestly I avoided it for a while too because it has a stupid name, it sounded like some kind of kids movie or something I wouldn't be interested in. Script writers really need to think of good names for their movies. Sure a movie called 'super hello kitty fun time' could be the most badass robot dinosaur fighting kung fu slo mo guns blazing explosion having kickass movie ever made, but what would compel you to see it with a name like that?

I did end up seeing the movie though. It was ok.

Honestly I avoided it for a while too because it has a stupid name, it sounded like some kind of kids movie or something I wouldn't be interested in. Script writers really need to think of good names for their movies. Sure a movie called 'super hello kitty fun time' could be the most badass robot dinosaur fighting kung fu slo mo guns blazing explosion having kickass movie ever made, but what would compel you to see it with a name like that?

I did end up seeing the movie though. It was ok.
It actually takes the name from the F. Scott Fitzgerald short story that the movie is based on. It probably seemed a lot less pretentious and kiddy in 1922.

I found the movie to be extremely meh.

District 9: 8/10

Really, really intense movie. It kinda loses itself during the last half, but it's still top notch. It never really get boring anywhere and the story is one of a kind.

This movie was amazing, cliche story, but visuals were awesome. I saw it in 3D and on drugs. I don't know about you guys with drugs, but atleast see it in 3D it's ****ing amazing. You never really get those moments where you think 'oh they just put that in there for 3D, lame'. Everything is like a normal movie just.. 3D.. It is a bit long though, 2 hours and 42 minutes I think... Starts to get better near the end though so it keeps you engrossed.

No Country For Old Men

They haven't made a crime thriller this good since the 80's. Tommy Lee Jones finally gets a role in a good movie, and he outdid himself. I'm at a loss for words. This movie might take 100 years to fade away.

Make sure you see this movie. 10/10

I'd have to agree. The acting all-around in that film was superb, as well being brutally intense and realistic at times. Great film.

It was a nice surprise, because I had no idea what to expect. I hope I didn't over-hype it and ruin anything. Just don't think about reviews when you watch it, IMO. Just watch the movie.

I might have to watch it again soon; I'm starting to think the ending is not what it seemed.

It was a very dark ending which made a change lol.

This movie was amazing, cliche story, but visuals were awesome. I saw it in 3D and on drugs. I don't know about you guys with drugs, but atleast see it in 3D it's ****ing amazing. You never really get those moments where you think 'oh they just put that in there for 3D, lame'. Everything is like a normal movie just.. 3D.. It is a bit long though, 2 hours and 42 minutes I think... Starts to get better near the end though so it keeps you engrossed.

You're a moron.

I saw Slumdog Millionaire two days ago. The plotline is pretty formulaic, sticking to your average Bollywood rags to riches and boy meet girl they fall in love storyline. The camera work and the soundtrack for me pushed it to the good movie mark for me.

7/10

One thing puzzles me however. I always thought movies set in Asia only make it big in the west and U.S. in particular if they are Japanese or have that Martial Arts sort of thing. I am still puzzled how it has become a massive hit. (I am aware it is directed by a guy from the U.K. but the setting is still in India)

Saw District 9 again and loved it even more than the first time. A lot of little things you pick up on.

I might go as far as to say it may one day be in my top 3 favorite Sci-Fi films, it's extremely well made, destined to be at least a cult classic.

Saw District 9 again and loved it even more than the first time. A lot of little things you pick up on.

I might go as far as to say it may one day be in my top 3 favorite Sci-Fi films, it's extremely well made, destined to be at least a cult classic.

I must say setting it in a country like South Africa was a nice change of pace.

I might go as far as to say it may one day be in my top 3 favorite Sci-Fi films, it's extremely well made

I....I really don't want to be another Yorick or Samon...so.. I swear i'll be quick, but this kind of statement really irks me.

Great special effects and CGI does not automatically mean a film is extremely well made. That aspect of the film is extremely well done, but everything else about District 9 (and to a much larger extent Avatar), has been done plenty of times before and much better too.

People are always complaining about how films are always being remade and Hollywood has nothing original, yet none of those people notice that film's like District 9 do almost nothing new, yet they heap praise upon for it for being the most original film in years because of one aspect of the film is original.

This film is almost as derivative as any other tired and tried Hollywood blockbuster, and it shows how little most people know or have seen of film when they heap praise upon films like this for being original.

If this film is one of your top 3 sci-fi films, you need to watch more films.

/Samon.

...Sorry.

I....I really don't want to be another Yorick or Samon...so.. I swear i'll be quick, but this kind of statement really irks me.

Great special effects and CGI does not automatically mean a film is extremely well made. That aspect of the film is extremely well done, but everything else about District 9 (and to a much larger extent Avatar), has been done plenty of times before and much better too.

People are always complaining about how films are always being remade and Hollywood has nothing original, yet none of those people notice that film's like District 9 do almost nothing new, yet they heap praise upon for it for being the most original film in years because of one aspect of the film is original.

This film is almost as derivative as any other tired and tried Hollywood blockbuster, and it shows how little most people know or have seen of film when they heap praise upon films like these.

If this film is one of your top 3 sci-fi films, you need to watch more films.

/Samon.

...Sorry.

I think I agree with Sparta. While it's a good movie, it falls into the trap many other Hollywood movies fall into. The pace it's set in is fairly unique. But I still think District 9 is a good movie, but people have been overzealous in heaping it praise.

I think I agree with Sparta. While it's a good movie, it falls into the trap many other Hollywood movies fall into. The pace it's set in is fairly unique. But I still think District 9 is a good movie, but people have been overzealous in heaping it praise.

I still think it's a good movie, it's certainly not bad, but yeah it does have a massive amount of praise heaped onto it for being original when it's not.

Back