Films: Rate and Discuss

The Crazies - 8.5/10

The ideas from this movie have been used countless times before. Isolated small american town setting + zombie outbreak + army coming in to kill everybody. However even if it's not original it was done very well. Solid performance from all the actors involved. Good mix of horror, suspense and action. Overall very enjoyable movie.

Magnolia: 9/10

If you have a spare three hours, watch this. Thank me later.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 9/10

Holy shit, wow. This film left me confused as hell but I loved every second of it. Watch it, now.

Jackass 3D - 8.5/10

Very funny, it reminded me alot more of the original stuff they did, for humour rather than making you sick (save for select few stunts, e.g. the sweat cocktail). It's amazing how old they suddenly seem, Johnny looks amazingly different to how he used to.

The Pacific 9.5/10

Very great show with a wonderful amount of detail and plot. The characters stand out even more than Band of Brothers. I miss the introductions of the scenes by the real men who fought there but reading the ending credits, sad enough only like one guy is around to this day. Was probably the best way to end Veterans Day if you ask me. If I had to choose between this and Band of Brothers, I'd still say BoB was slightly better but both are very similar in execution

Iron Man 2 - Ugh

Easily the most annoying movie I've seen in a good while, and not just because it's a huge step back from the first.

ATTENTION HOLLYWOOD: PEOPLE TALKING RAPIDLY FOR MINUTES ON END WITHOUT ACTUALLY SAYING A ****ING THING DOES NOT MAKE ME MORE INVESTED IN YOUR MOVIE. IT MAKES ME WANT TO PHYSICALLY HARM MYSELF.

Edit: Something I found pretty amusing - I honestly couldn't remember if Tony and Pepper got together at the end of the first film, so I was waiting for them to throw me a hint. It wasn't until they kissed at the very end that I knew for sure. Their stupid bicker fighting throughout this entire ****ing movie had so little chemistry that it couldn't even jog my memory on something so simple.

Skyline: -10/10

Plot doesn't make sense. Dialog is terrible. Characters are unlikable. Ending is WTF! It's like Independence Day but instead of watching the people who save the world, you watch some douchbags in an L.A. condo.

Skyline: -10/10

Plot doesn't make sense. Dialog is terrible. Characters are unlikable. Ending is WTF! It's like Independence Day but instead of watching the people who save the world, you watch some douchbags in an L.A. condo.

Then why is it a 10/10?

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - 9/10. Oh my Goodness I enjoyed the hell out of this. Did anyone else get a decidedly "Eternal Sunshine" feel from the scenes in snow with Ramona and her coloured hair? Edgar Wright is absolutely one of my favourite directors.

Inception - 9/10. Another damn fine film from my other favourite director.

I think there's a very obvious '-' preceding the 10.

Iron Man 2 - Ugh

Easily the most annoying movie I've seen in a good while, and not just because it's a huge step back from the first.

ATTENTION HOLLYWOOD: PEOPLE TALKING RAPIDLY FOR MINUTES ON END WITHOUT ACTUALLY SAYING A ****ING THING DOES NOT MAKE ME MORE INVESTED IN YOUR MOVIE. IT MAKES ME WANT TO PHYSICALLY HARM MYSELF.

Edit: Something I found pretty amusing - I honestly couldn't remember if Tony and Pepper got together at the end of the first film, so I was waiting for them to throw me a hint. It wasn't until they kissed at the very end that I knew for sure. Their stupid bicker fighting throughout this entire ****ing movie had so little chemistry that it couldn't even jog my memory on something so simple.

The first Iron Man wasn't that great; it was just a cut above what people were expecting. Its sequel on the other hand - oh, what a piece of barely competent junk.

I think there's a very obvious '-' preceding the 10.

The first Iron Man wasn't that great; it was just a cut above what people were expecting. Its sequel on the other hand - oh, what a piece of barely competent junk.

I absolutely adored both Iron Man 2 and its predecessor. Sharp dialogue, well written characters, basically a great take on the comic book genre. What's not to like? I saw both of them in cinemas - twice, and bought them on blu-ray as soon as they were out. I wouldn't be able to define the best of the two, because I think both films are equally good in their own different way. When I first heard that Downey Jr. were gonna play the title character, I wasn't exactly glad. But it turned out to be one of his best performances throughout his entire career. Of the villains, I think Jeff Bridges and most of all Mickey Rourke were outstanding. I'd give both films 10/10. The Dark Knight on the other hand, now that was a disappointment. Speaking of villains, Heath Ledger as the Joker is probably one of the most overrated villains over the past years. I think he was quite good, but compared to all the hype he got, he was overrated. Jack Nicholson gave a great portrayal of the Joker, and I still think he stands out as the best Joker so far. I still enjoyed TDK alot, but #10 on IMDb? Wow, overkill. I'd give it 8 maybe a 9 out of 10.

Oh noes, a subjective opinion that's different to yours, SHOCKING!

I absolutely adored both Iron Man 2 and its predecessor. Sharp dialogue, well written characters, basically a great take on the comic book genre. What's not to like? I saw both of them in cinemas - twice, and bought them on blu-ray as soon as they were out. I wouldn't be able to define the best of the two, because I think both films are equally good in their own different way. When I first heard that Downey Jr. were gonna play the title character, I wasn't exactly glad. But it turned out to be one of his best performances throughout his entire career. Of the villains, I think Jeff Bridges and most of all Mickey Rourke were outstanding. I'd give both films 10/10. The Dark Knight on the other hand, now that was a disappointment. Speaking of villains, Heath Ledger as the Joker is probably one of the most overrated villains over the past years. I think he was quite good, but compared to all the hype he got, he was overrated. Jack Nicholson gave a great portrayal of the Joker, and I still think he stands out as the best Joker so far. I still enjoyed TDK alot, but #10 on IMDb? Wow, overkill. I'd give it 8 maybe a 9 out of 10.
How does it feel to be so wrong?

This is not about being right or wrong, it's about having different subjective opinions. In fact, I feel more right now, knowing that the guy who replied to my post couldn't think of anything more intelligent to say.

You sound a lot like ZT "bawww something is popular IT MUST BE OVERRATED MINUS THREE POINTS" :)

This is not about being right or wrong, it's about having different subjective opinions. In fact, I feel more right now, knowing that the guy who replied to my post couldn't think of anything more intelligent to say.

"It's not about being right but your reply makes me more right."

Okie dokie!

I'm fighting the urge to post a certain clip of Dr. Cox right now.

He was pretty much on par with Liam Neeson in Begins, though. And while we're pointing fingers, Christian Bale was shit in Dark Knight.

Christian Bale is always Christian Bale. It's ****ing distracting.

I think Bale was good, but to me, Keaton still stands out as the best there have been so far.

No, you're definitely incredibly wrong if you think Iron Man had "well written characters" and that Jeff Bridges was a better villain than Heath Ledger.

I didn't state a single time in my post that Jeff Bridges was a better villain than Heath Ledger. Because I said that he was overrated compared to all the hype he got doesn't mean I think he's a bad villain. Read my post carefully next time you choose to reply.

Bad^Hat, I thought you were supposed to live up to your signature? =)

Christian Bale is always Christian Bale. It's ****ing distracting.

I didn't think Christian Bale was all that distracting until after he started playing Batman. Now every movie I see him in that's not Batman I'm thinking "why is Batman here?" Maybe not in 3:10 to Yuma. That was a good time where you don't really notice Christian Bale is Christian Bale.

Edit: On the Michael Keaton thing, I like that old Batman but the new Batman is much more real and gritty. Instead of Batman just always having some gadget to save the day, he relies on what he has and clever use of it. Michael Keaton was always kind of awkward to me too, but he was a hell of a lot better than George Clooney or Val Kilmer. Plus Batman Returns has the best villain duo of any of the batman movies (even the dark knight). They even manged to squeeze Christoper ****ing Walken in there.

I think Khazzler is comfusing "I enjoyed this movie more", with "this is movie is better".

And as for the Joker character, I prefer Ledger's portrail. Jack Nicholson's Joker is just ridiculous, and never seems like a credible threat.

Apparently In Half Life 2.northkoreaafghanistansovietrussia, you are entitled to no opinion.

but the new Batman is much more real and gritty

Bale takes gritty to a comical level. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, how can anyone take his Batman voice seriously in Dark Knight?! He sounds ridiculous!

Bale takes gritty to a comical level. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, how can anyone take his Batman voice seriously in Dark Knight?! He sounds ridiculous!

*gruff voice* "I'm BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNN!"

Well what's Batman supposed to sound like then? Adam West? Michael Keaton's "I'm Batman"? Maybe whoever did his voice in the cartoon? I think it was much better than his actual voice and it fit the Batman persona. The only reason it sounds weird is because you know the guy behind the mask is Christian Bale. I think Michael Ironside's voice of Sam Fisher would have worked well for it, but I don't think he could quite make it in the audition process. Christian Bale also made the best Bruce Wayne so far. I just think he's stuck as Batman now because - unless he's a really different type of character - he's still acting like Batman. Like in Terminator Salvation. I'm like "ok you could have picked anyone but him for this and I wouldn't constantly be thinking about Batman."

We'll have to agree to completely disagree here.

Well what's Batman supposed to sound like then?

Just not ****ing stupid.

It's not intimidating, it doesn't make him sound tough. It's weird. I actually can't watch Dark Knight without it either annoying me or making me laugh. Add his Bruce Wayne being dull and devoid of anything that makes the charatcer interesting - he has nothing on Keaton's Bruce - and all in all Bale does a terrific job :thumbs:

We'll have to agree to completely disagree here.

Just not ****ing stupid.

It's not intimidating, it doesn't make him sound tough. It's weird. I actually can't watch Dark Knight without it either annoying me or making me laugh. Add his Bruce Wayne being dull and devoid of anything that makes the charatcer interesting - he has nothing on Keaton's Bruce - and all in all Bale does a terrific job :thumbs:

I think Christian Bale did a lot with what was written. He brought more to the Bruce Wayne aspect than any of the other movies had, especially in Batman Begins. In the Dark Knight he was able to better portray the whole aspect of Bruce Wayne as the millionaire playboy that does whatever he wants in the most over the top way possible to properly disguised his true self. Despite watching the original Batman probably a dozen times in my life (I even own the original video cassette) I can't think of more than a few short scenes where Keaton is actually Bruce Wayne and only a couple from Batman Returns. In each scene he's just being a good noble businessman. The Bruce Wayne of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight has that aspect but it actually tries to make sense of the idea of being Batman all night and having to be Bruce Wayne all day without anyone taking notice... instead of just Bruce Wayne somehow surviving with no sleep while spending half his day in physical combat with villains and spending millions of dollars to create futuristic gadgets.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the whimsical Batman, but I think Christian Bale is an excellent embodiment of a more realistic Batman and Bruce Wayne... even with a strained growling voice.

I didn't think Christian Bale was all that distracting until after he started playing Batman. Now every movie I see him in that's not Batman I'm thinking "why is Batman here?" Maybe not in 3:10 to Yuma. That was a good time where you don't really notice Christian Bale is Christian Bale.

Edit: On the Michael Keaton thing, I like that old Batman but the new Batman is much more real and gritty. Instead of Batman just always having some gadget to save the day, he relies on what he has and clever use of it. Michael Keaton was always kind of awkward to me too, but he was a hell of a lot better than George Clooney or Val Kilmer. Plus Batman Returns has the best villain duo of any of the batman movies (even the dark knight). They even manged to squeeze Christoper ****ing Walken in there.

Other than 3:10 to Yuma, I think American Psycho & The Machinist are two of his very best roles, where he doesn't play himself for once.

Now that's a great movie.

One of my all-time favorites. A very underrated film. Perhaps more of an underrated director. He directed three great movies (The Machinist, Session 9, Transsiberian), and not a single one got above $10 million at the box office.

One of my all-time favorites. A very underrated film. Perhaps more of an underrated director. He directed three great movies (The Machinist, Session 9, Transsiberian), and not a single one got above $10 million at the box office.

I haven't yet seen his others. What are your other favourite films?

I call bullshit, dear Ross.

Either that or you're an idiot.

Interestingly enough, you've gone against your guidelines for posting in this thread. :p

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (1): 8/10

I would certainly recommend it. I think it benefits greatly from the decision to split the film into two parts. I had hoped that it would allow for a more interesting exploration and reflection of the emotional journey these characters have gone through. It is here where the film often excels. I think it's my favorite since Prisoner. That said, I don't think it exceeds Prisoner; a brilliant piece of work (more of an extension of the source material, I think, as opposed to an adaptation). I have a high opinion of Prisoner. But Hallows Part 1 is the closest in the series, I think, to matching its benchmark quality, and that in itself ought to be commended. Of course, it's lasting impact will depend on how well Yates has directed the final act of this grand story. I have a feeling that it will be a strong finish albeit unrewarding. The film series has been plagued by installments that haven't done nearly as much as what they should have (the fifth film is a disgrace). The film journey will feel hollow, I expect. I have more to say on it all but I'll leave it here.

How to Raise Your Dragon - 7.5/10...

Amazing animation and visuals and fairly good voice acting.
The story was fairly generic though, seemed like just another boy and his strange pet story.

I haven't yet seen his others. What are your other favourite films?

I have a huge list of favorite films, don't feel like posting them all. Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodríguez are two of my favorite directors, and I like pretty much everything they have made. Chris Nolan, Coen brothers, Luc Besson, Francis Ford Coppola and Guy Ritchie are pretty high up there aswell, and have all made great movies.

Back