Films: Rate and Discuss

The Eye (remake) - Ugh/Blah

Dear Hollywood: it is possible to make scary supernatural entities without making them look like monsters and baring their teeth and growling all the time ok thanks.

Also,

way to **** up the ending. What a horrible, horrible cop-out.

Hey, me too! :D

same here! :naughty:

Toy Story 3 9/10

Saw this with my family and we were all laughing and chuckling the entire time. I like them all but this one had the best story of them all

Social Network - Yeah

It's good.

So remember how super mad I was at Iron Man 2 a few pages back because of how everyone was constantly gabbing without actually saying anything? This is how you do proper dialog, for ****'s sake. The most anyone ever does in this movie is talk, often without pause, but every line is so drenched in purpose that it works wonderfully in it's favour.

Which was a little annoying at points, as the theater I saw it in was far too quiet. :(

(And yes, the soundtrack is lovely.)

Edit - Haha, look, I dropped the 'the' from the title. How clever! Or it would be if it wasn't completely unintentional.

Juno - 6/10

I watched it for the second time yesterday, enjoyed it far less than the first time I saw it. Maybe because I was 14 at the time, & looked up to 16 year olds of the time. But now I'm 16, I see the whole movie as being this chick & this guy who were stupid enough to have sex without protection, & they're made to look awesome? Yeah she's weird, but she's really cool! Yeah, no thanks. Teen pregnancy isn't a good thing. I mention this especially because of the Juno Effect.
But even so, Ellen Page is ridiculously hot and awesome, since Inception I've gone crazy for her. Michael Cera makes for a pretty entertaining actor too.
But yeah, as stated above, I did not enjoy this for a second time around. Showing teen pregnancy in good light doesn't sit well with me.
6/10

Apocalypse Now - 7/10

It started out incredibly, I loved the first hour and a half of it, the second hour felt very rushed though. Superb example of lose of innocence and how the hunger for power corrupts even some of the best people on the planet. It was supposedly based on/inspired by Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, so I now must look for this book in a library.

Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia - ****ing Lol/Piss poor

The BEL movies were never fantastic, but this is just inexcusable. I should have known when I saw 20th Century Fox and WWE Studio's. The action scenes were basically Call of Duty inspired, everybody running around shooting anything that moved. The plot was incredibly predictable and honestly made no sense. The producers of the movie clearly had no idea about anything military. At one point, one of the "soldiers" ran out yelling "ALPHA TWO NINER BRAVO MOVING TO INTERCEPT TARGET DELTA". This movie should only be viewed for the comic value, which is almost nonexistent anyway.

This is seriously your reason for marking the movie down? How do you even watch films?

Certainly not. The mistakes made within this film sit on a personal level for me. I strongly dislike the nature & style that teen pregnancy is represented here, as Juno Effect has proven, it's made teen pregnancy look cool. Sure it's an old issue, but I thought I'd share how my perspective has changed in the two years that I've gone from idolising 16 year olds & becoming a 16 year old.

This is seriously your reason for marking the movie down? How do you even watch films?

I forgot this is hl2.net where it's a no no, to rate a movie based on how much you enjoyed it or not.

as Juno Effect has proven

No it didn't. There was not a shred of conclusive evidence in the short segment you linked. So what if a few teenagers thought it was cool and decided to mimic it? They're ****ing teenagers.

Oh, and regarding that link, how does Knocked Up portray teen pregnancy in a positive light? They're um... not teenagers in that film.

No it didn't. There was not a shred of conclusive evidence in the short segment you linked. So what if a few teenagers thought it was cool and decided to mimic it? They're ****ing teenagers.

Oh, and regarding that link, how does Knocked Up portray teen pregnancy in a positive light? They're um... not teenagers in that film.

Well as I said, it sits on a personal level for me. Representing teen pregnancy as something cool is just wrong in my opinion. Being a 16 year old myself, just the thought of getting my GF pregnant terrifies me, but here because of Juno teenage girls think it's cool to get pregnant.
I don't want to come off as being a total 'Teenagers are ruining society!' tard here, I just thought I'd include my main reasoning for not enjoying the film for a second time around.

& I dunno what that's about with Knocked Up.

I forgot this is hl2.net where it's a no no, to rate a movie based on how much you enjoyed it or not.

I forgot this is HL2.net where we assume everyone is being pretentious and looking down on everyone else's standards without actually reading the two posts in question.

True enough, but the counter-movement is even more annoying.

"Hey, I disagree with your opinion or the reasoning you used to develop it because-"
"OH SORRY, I FORGOT THE OPINION POLICE WERE HERE TO TELL ME HOW TO THINK AND WHAT I LIKE ISN'T GOOD. WELL SORRRRRY."

Silent Presence, who's side are you on? lol I'm seriously confused here.

Neither. I'm actually attacking one of the loud, dumb audience members.

Edit: Although, I do disagree with you. How people respond to a movie has nothing to do with what a movie is. The Catcher in the Rye killed John Lennon, but I still think it's a great book.

Although, I do disagree with you. How people respond to a movie has nothing to do with what a movie is.

Hey I did cover what I thought of the movie, as a movie Juno is okay. But how I responded overshadowed any 'What a great film!' reception I may have had.

I was actually referring to the fact the reactions of other people affected what you thought of the movie.

Well ****.

I've watched both How To Train Your Dragon and A Serious Man. I would rate both at 8/10. For Dragon, the voice acting and story was good. It was a bit cliche though. A Serious Man was funny, smart, weird, sad and WTF all at the same time. Awesome.

Tangled.

Ignoring their work with Pixar, this is by far the best movie that Disney has made in at least a decade.

^For real? From what I recall, the trailer was full of awful jokes and otherwise terrible dialog and a cheesy looking plot. Did they change it, or is that all in there except diluted to a tolerable level?

That's how I remember the trailer too, but Yorick seems to think it was "classic Disney". Explain yourself.

They've been doing that shit with the trailers for ages now. Princess and the Frog's were all about the one-liners and dumbass sidekick characters, but I think the worst job they ever did was on Lilo & Stitch. The trailers for that film have no clues about what the film actually is.

Thankfully, since Dreamworks are shitting their crap out four times faster, the trends animation has suffered under since Shrek will die on their feet sooner rather than later. Perhaps that will get Disney out of their identity crisis, which ultimately stems from the problem that they don't feel they need two Pixars.

Sons of Anarchy: Season 1

Good show, addicting, unbelievable but fun plot. I think I'm gunna be hooked for a while with this show. Plus with Ron Pearlman you can't complain!

Inception - 9/10

I think just a bit more detail could've made the movie a perfect 10/10. It's just a feeling. But brilliant movie nonetheless.

The Last Castle 8.5/10

I think this is my favorite movie. At the end of the day, it's just a good story with compelling characters. The climactic action scene does come on a bit suddenly and it's certainly a bit over the top and unbelievable-ish based on the rest of the story, but the glorious confrontation at the end makes it all worth it.

If your favorite movie got an 8.5/10, what would a 10 be?

If your favorite movie got an 8.5/10, what would a 10 be?

Favorite =/= Perfect

My favorite movie is probably Black Hawk Down, but I'd give it an 8.

The Godfather is probably the only movie I could give a solid 10 to.

Law Abiding Citizen - 8/10

It was cool. The ending was rather dull though, I was expecting more.

Plot Abiding Citizen would have made a better movie, tbh.

Across the Universe 9/10

Finished this on the 30th Anniversary of John Lennon's Death. Very awesome and eye popping story about some crazy shit that goes on in life. I love how fast paced it feels. This is like Forest Gump on Weed and Shrooms

and I'm currently watching Kalifornia with Brad Pitt and David Duchoveny...its awesome so far

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - WHAT.THE.F*CK/10

Wow, just wow. Where to start with what was wrong with this film:
Plot changes - So many ridiculous changes to the story, seven swords must be united at the table, green mist that is making everything horrible, new characters that made no difference to the film at all, I have forgiven plot changes before, if it's obvious they had no choice. But in this it is blatantly obvious that the script writer fashioned himself as a modern day C.S Lewis. & he was wrong.
Location changes - Dawn Treader is one of my favourite novels ever, because of the imagery Lewis uses in his writing. In particular was the Dragon Island, a luscious green, mountainous terrain in which Eustace gets lost & witnesses the death of a dragon. What was it in the film? A rocky, volcanic shit hole. Without the climatic death of the dragon, which to me was a key piece of symbolism.
Continuity - The minotaur's on board (who shouldn't have been there in the first place, but I can live with that), they looked way different to how they did in the previous films. That's a minor complaint but it was still off-putting.
Style - The first two had a certain feeling to them which I just loved, the music, the green terrains, the talking animals, it's all great. In this everyone is behaving as if they're on the set of Pirates of the Carribean.

Although I was rather partial to Eustice, Will Poulter pulled off the character superbly.

But yeah, to anyone who considers themself a fan of Narnia I would not recommend this butchery they call an adaption. Sourly disappointing.

Kalifornia 8/10

Good slasher movie that wasn't scary but more interesting and Brad Pitt played a very convincing Red Neck. also David Duchoveny was pretty good as well.

Sons of Anarchy Season 2 9/10

Great season but the ending sorta pissed me off!
Zobel was left in the diner? Seriously WTF leave one man behind and finish up your god damned loose ends. Also these guys can hotwire any vehicles but they don't know ****ing boats?? Bullshit if you ask me.
But other than that I loved this season. I want to see what happens in season 3

Dexter Season 5 8.5/10

Ehhhh this is still an awesome show but it felt a bit different like they took the series in a different direction. Also hearing that next season may be the last is depressing. I kinda wish people in the show weren't so bitchy this past season. before they all worked in unison but then shit fell apart and people got burned by each other. someone was either acting childish every episode or being a prick...but no one was exactly like they were in the other seasons except for Debra, Vince or Quinn....they were the constant in this season

Back