Films: Rate and Discuss

You have hurt my feelings.

I must have seen something so horrible that I've blocked it out but kept the low expectations. Though there's also the fact that I'm bored as hell when I watch these so something is better than nothing.

I just don't think I'll ever get why people consider this movie so much better than the original. It's a fun classic, sure, but it is pretty much entirely made of 80s action cheese. The first is just as thrilling but actually takes itself seriously and has a much better story, writing, and acting.

Yep, this.

Terminator 2: nofatebutwhatwemake/10 (9/10)

It is better than the first one. Admit it. You know it's true, you're just afraid to actually say it. It's less serious, more summer action filmy and less grimdark; sure, but it has a heart this time around.

Terminator 1 and Terminator 2 are not even comparable when you think about it, in terms of atmosphere and pacing they are entirely different films. With that I wouldn't say T2 is better. I used to think it was, but then I watched both again, and I was like, "Wow, T1 is actually really eerie and depressing" and "Wow, T2 has some seriously lame acting and dialogue."

When I think about T2, I think it's biggest plus is T-1000. T-1000 is a very good, disturbing character that always makes me uncomfortable; especially since he is guised as a police officer. Other than that, T2 is just Terminator geared towards twelve year olds.

Yeah the T-1000 always unnerved me too, I think it's because it kept coming back time after time, and it was so ruthless.

Agora (2009)

Visuals - 9/10 - Feels like you're in Rome!
Acting - 7/10 - Some poor moments, but overall not bad. <3 Rachel Wiesz
Script - 5/10 - Meh dialogue, meh historical accuracy (or so I hear, what the hell do I know about Rome)
Audio - Didn't really pay attention, but I didn't catch any of those lame stock sound effects that totally throw you out of the moment either, soo...9/10

Pretty powerful ending, I enjoyed it overall.

Be interesting to see if Portman wins an Oscar. For me, Jennifer Lawrence should win it for Winter's Bone.

Shit yes. I also thought it was awesome that John Hawkes got nominated for his role as Teardrop.

The Prestige - Bale's British accent/10

I love anything to do with magic tricks,
by that I mean real, logical tricks, for that reason the ending was a bit off putting, I was expecting something cleverer than an actual cloning machine.

I think you missed the entire point of the film.

Yeah the T-1000 always unnerved me too, I think it's because it kept coming back time after time, and it was so ruthless.

He was, definitely, but I feel the true horror lies with Arnie in T1. His assault on Henriksson's police station rivals anything the T-1000 did.

APoxp.gif

I think you missed the entire point of the film.

Which was what? Everything prior to the final 10/20 minutes was grounded in logic/reason/mystery, & to end with a simple
"He was a REAL wizard."
didn't sit well with me.

I can see where you're coming from, it was a bit of an anti climax for me too.

Which was what? Everything prior to the final 10/20 minutes was grounded in logic/reason/mystery, & to end with a simple
"He was a REAL wizard."
didn't sit well with me.

The entire story sets it up to hint that the twist or the trick to Bale's character (I've forgotten his name) illusion is that it is really simple and hidden in broad daylight, like all illusions. It's never something you come to expect, it's always something more mundane. The whole structure of the film is set up as a magic trick. It's plastered all throughout the film and even Michael Caine's character has a monologue about it at the end.
Jackman's character (somehow and kind of implausibly) seems to completely forget the structure of illusions in his attempts to copy Bale's trick (even though he unknowingly solves it at one stage by getting a double whom he later discards).

The twist at the end isn't that Bale has a twin, it's that Jackman discovers actual 'magic' and still can't figure out how Bale does it. It wasn't trying to be clever with real logical twists (which, you have to admit, if it had used one, would've been underwhelming in comparison). It was setting itself up as something it wasn't, only to take a much more interesting, insane and (I reckon) ultimately more entertaining path than just "Oh, he has a twin".

If that was the only "twist" in the film, you'd be complaining that its predictable. Instead you get something original and unpredictable and you're complaining that its off putting.

The Prestige was kind of ruined for me because I read the book before seeing the film and the book takes an even crazier path towards the end, that I would've loved to have seen in the film. Maybe a little too crazy for a lot of people, but I thought it was awesome.

I guess you have a decent point there. The alternative to what it was would have been boring/predictable.

Armored 7/10

Not a bad movie, but also felt a bit too quick and rushed (88mins) not to mention it was mainly in one area and I love movies that move around a bit. Anyway the action was good, characters were great but ultimately some things gave me the WTFs

I love movies that move around a bit.

Really? I find it really annoying for the characters to, for example, start in Japan, go to France, then Mombasa, then Sydney, & then eventually L.A. But in this case, it doesn't matter because the movie is rad, which I guess makes it a bad example...
But anyway, I prefer films where the limits of the location are established, to look upon familiar landmarks/furniture/buildings/anything is great. While watching Paranormal Activity, I had great fun memorizing details of the house, where this room is connected to, where the stairs are located, etc.

But I guess it depends on the genre. I suppose you wouldn't exactly want an action film to be refined to one house, it'd be pointless.

But I guess it depends on the genre. I suppose you wouldn't exactly want an action film to be refined to one house, it'd be pointless.

For example the movie "Assault on Precinct 13" is a decent action movie that takes place only in the police station and the small surrrounding area.

Nordwan (North Face) 8/10

This German film is about the famous failed attempt on the Eiger North Face. It's pretty dramatic. It's a good story, and the mountaineering scenes are pretty well done, but I could have done without the good guys and bad guys or the love story. A lot of the mountain scene closeups feel too close up. Probably because they aren't actually shot on a mountain. I think a touch of digital effects wizardry (not 3d CGI) could have really given some really great shots.

For example the movie "Assault on Precinct 13" is a decent action movie that takes place only in the police station and the small surrrounding area.

I might check it out, it sounds interesting.

-

The King's Speech - 9/10

This film is incredible. Taking up the mantle as the example of British films > Everything else (in my books), I'm having trouble getting the correct words together to describe what I love about this film.
First would have to be the cast, I cannot fault any of them. A lot of the time in movies there's at least one who is terrible, or at the very least not quite perfect. But the cast were brilliant, I love Helena Bonham Carter, Geoffry Rush I've finally noticed, & fully appreciated his talent, I was watching & waiting for cast members from the Harry Potter films to appear (which they certainly did), but the absolute jewel of the cast was little Ramona Marquez (from probably the funniest sitcom I've ever seen) playing the role of Princess Margaret, she was an absolute delight.
The story was a real joy, I've never ever cared about the royal family, to a kid from rural Australia they're a bunch of stuck up twats who don't deserve the position of power they hold. But anyway, I was smiling with joy by the end when Bertie gave his speech.
I'm starting to ramble here so I'll cut this short: The King's Speech is one of those films that fills you with a sense of joy & awe, something Hollywood has failed to do properly for quite some time now.
If you haven't seen this film, go see it now. 9/10

I felt kind of let down by the King's speech. I thought the movie was just getting started at the lead up into the war, and then it ended. I guess I was mostly caught off guard by the abrupt (suddenly happy?) ending.

I might check it out, it sounds interesting.

I suggest you watch the original, not the Fishburne remake. Carpenter's original is brilliant. Incredibly tense film, with great performances.

I've recently watched Inception which was just as good the second time around. Stardust which was really cute, and omgawesome Robert Di Nero was a skypirate captain. Groundhog Day which I hadn't seen in years but was more wonderful than I'd even remembered, and Brother Bear. How I missed a Disney movie about Bears starring Joaquin Phoenix I'll never know. It was definitely cliche and predictable, but I still loved the hell out of it.

I felt kind of let down by the King's speech. I thought the movie was just getting started at the lead up into the war, and then it ended. I guess I was mostly caught off guard by the abrupt (suddenly happy?) ending.

That's actually something I reconsidered today, how odd it was that everyone was celebrating something as minimal (by comparison) to the disastrous declaration of war. But it doesn't bother me, it's not a war film, it's a film about the man who led England against Germany in one of the worst wars in history overcoming his stammer.
That, & I really don't know what things were like in the thirties, maybe it was a big deal that their king overcame his stammer. Either way, it was a really good film, regardless of the ending.

I guess the film was about his own personal struggle...it wasn't really a film about England in one way, it was a film about a man trying to overcome a great difficulty. Making that speech would have been a really big deal for him, so in view of that, I'd say it was a very climactic ending.

It made me think that life is full of little things like that, that seem like nothing to other people but maybe are a very big deal for one person. There are some people for whom simple things like getting out of bed, walking across a room unaided or eating a meal must seem like achievements worthy of having films made out of them, so great is the endeavour on their behalf.

Absolutely, & the fact that they could make a movie which made something so tiny, so minimal (to the general population, as you said, it was a huge accomplishment for himself) is astounding. Meanwhile, Jake Sully is killing all the baddies, freeing the Na'vi rar rar, & being so [sarcasm]awesome[/sarcasm], but I care so much more about a dude who lived 70 years ago overcoming a massive personal dilemma which is tiny to a common person. Clearly Tom Hooper has got alot going for himself, here's hoping King's Speech wasn't a fluke.

Clearly Tom Hooper has got alot going for himself, here's hoping King's Speech wasn't a fluke.

He directed all 7 hours of the amazing John Adams HBO mini-series back in 2007, and followed that up with the (apparently brilliant) Damned United and The King's Speech. I'd say he definitely isn't a fluke.

The Hangover - 6/10

Typical American "dude"-comedy. Had some decent jokes, but I don't see why it's held in such high regard.

Because 98% of Americans are morons.

It's supposed to be a dumb funny movie..what's your problem? You think you're some sophisticated piece of work or something? lol get your head out of your ass buddy. The Hangover is not meant to be some in depth comdic masterpiece.

Look at Japans retarded game shows and anime..OH NO 98% OF JAPANESE PEOPLE MUST BE MORONS IF THEY WATCH THAT KIND OF STUFF LOLOL.

The difference is, Japanese game shows' content isn't taken particularly seriously by either their audience or producers. Everyone knows it's mindless and silly, and they just roll with it whether a particular bit works or not. Whereas The Hangover tries very hard to make you buy the idea of a tiger in a bathroom... and then never lets you see the tiger... and then never addresses the tiger for the next two hours as the four meander around Vegas. Galifianakis and the overall level of dramatic acting were the only good things in the film.

It's supposed to be a dumb funny movie..what's your problem? You think you're some sophisticated piece of work or something? lol get your head out of your ass buddy. The Hangover is not meant to be some in depth comdic masterpiece.

Look at Japans retarded game shows and anime..OH NO 98% OF JAPANESE PEOPLE MUST BE MORONS IF THEY WATCH THAT KIND OF STUFF LOLOL.

What. I don't have any problem with the movie itself, I saw it on a plane and actually found it to be amusing at times. I was responding to the Monkey saying he didn't know why it was held in such high regard. No, it's not supposed to be a comedic (nice spelling on your part) masterpiece, but people who hold it as such are morons. It's like the number of people in this country that think Twilight is on the same level as Shakespeare.

I don't think the Japanese are morons. I haven't lived with them, I haven't met any of them. Judging them based off of their shows would be wrong. What I was saying, though, is that I've lived in America my entire life, and I know how stupid these people are.

You should emigrate, you belong here.

I didn't find The Hangover to be all that funny anyway. The movie ran with the "lol random shit happening I bet you'd never expect this haha lol tiger chinese man in trunk roofies floories mike tyson lol haha" too much.

Twilight fans I know of: Very many

Twilight fans I know of who think Twilight is comparable to Shakespeare: None

NoFunAllowed.jpg

Fido - 8/10...
Think: E.T. / Harry and the Hendersons / The Water Horse / My Dog skip... but replace the alien, bigfoot, the loch ness monster, and the dog with a ZOMBIE in the 50s/60s.
So fun, light hearted... but still damn gory, and pretty funny.

Definitely worth checking out if only for the fact that it's decent departure from your standard zombie movie fare.

I didn't find The Hangover to be all that funny anyway. The movie ran with the "lol random shit happening I bet you'd never expect this haha lol tiger chinese man in trunk roofies floories mike tyson lol haha" too much.

This.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The humor of the movie is all based around novelty, so once you've seen it once there's nothing really funny about it anymore. It's not a bad comedy, it's just not as great as people think. I think its popularity is pretty understandable, though, because frankly there are very, very few good comedies. I can't think of anything that's come out since then, that is really a comedy (and that I've seen, obviously), that I find funnier.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The humor of the movie is all based around novelty, so once you've seen it once there's nothing really funny about it anymore. It's not a bad comedy, it's just not as great as people think. I think its popularity is pretty understandable, though, because frankly there are very, very few good comedies. I can't think of anything that's come out since then, that is really a comedy (and that I've seen, obviously), that I find funnier.

The comedy genre is overkill, I don't want to sit through an hour & a half of 'humour' forced down my throat. I'd rather have small comedic relief moments in serious movies. For example, The King's Speech, it's a serious movie, but Geoffry Rush's performance as an unorthodox therapist was funny. Finding a balance is important, I think.

Yeah, I threw in "that is really a comedy" specifically for the King's Speech, because there are some parts of it that make far damn funnier than many comedies I've seen. I have to respectfully disagree with you though. The Big Lebowski, virtually any Monty Python, Wayne's World, I just can't imagine having never seen these.

On the subject of actually funny films, everyone should see In The Loop. That's a film I could watch all the time and never get sick of or find unfunny.

Back