Films: Rate and Discuss

That's what you always say. ;)

Heh, fair enough, but you can't deny it's odd that we had three posts made just to express disbelief at some one not knowing what There Will Be Blood was about and therefore taking the title at face value.

It's not, really. Honestly sometimes I think you forget where you are. :3

Maybe I will never come to terms with how silly I find the internet.

Your Buddhist Of The Year certificate is in the mail as we speak.

Seriously though, that's considered ugly? That's the first time I've seen her looking remotely human in years.

That joke increases 100% in wittiness everytime it's used.

For a movie star, yes.

-

The Mechanic - 5.5/10

It was an action film, it had running, shooting, killing, and stuff... which was okay, I hardly expected him to start talking about his feelings. Character development was a bit dodgy though, I honestly didn't give a sh*t about any of them. Decent twist at the end, but with no real resolution or meaning, just a drive into the sunset.
Big meh on this one. 5.5/10

Machete 10/10 one of my favorite action/comedy films ever committed to celluloid

We must have watched different movies - The Book of Eli is the most vapid and self-indulgent movie i've seen in a while. I like Denzel, love a post apocalyptic setting, but honestly found it hard to see it through to the credits. If we're measuring the movie by how many slow motion scenes of Denzel walking about it can fit in (Denzel walks slowly into a bar, looking mean. Denzel walks down the street. Slowly. Looking mean. Denzel does something else while looking mean. Slowly) then i'd agree on 10/10.

*leaves thread, slowly, while looking mean*

//edit

How to Train your Dragon - 8/10

The inner child in me now wants a plush Night Fury.

People have different cinematic tastes. This might come as a shock to you.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - 7.5, maybe even 8/10

This movie looked dumb as hell on release, but one day I discovered that it's written by some of the people who wrote the show Clone High, so I couldn't say no. It turns out it's actually legitimately funny and well-written, if pretty clichéd at times.

I liked that one very special episode of Clone High best of all.

THAT'S JUST MY OPINION THOUGH PLEASE NOBODY MAKE FUN OF ME OR I'LL HAVE TO START TALKING ABOUT TASTE AND SUBJECTIVITY OKAY THANKYOU

Cloverfield - 9/10

Holy shit wow. This movie is f*cking awesome. I have no idea why I waited so long to see it, but I loved everything about it. The 'real' genre of film is an absolute diamond, this is like everything I loved about Paranormal Activity, but with CGI & a massive body of people involved. In fact it reminded a little of Half-Life, dark tunnels & Antlion-like creatures... yeah, good movie. 9/10

I couldn't believe how much I hated Cloverfield.
Massive disappointment after being reeled into seeing it from all of the hype.

Insanely annoying shaky cam mechanic made worse by the fact that it had a total retard at the helm(Hud).

I liked Hud, he was the herp derp comic relief character. I'm glad he was just behind the camera instead of a central character though.

-

Slumdog Millionaire - Why the f*ck would you fill a bathtub with money & then await to be killed in it?/10 (8/10)

Just watched this for the second time since it's cinema release. Can't say I enjoyed it as much, the first time around I adored it. Still a good film though. What's the general consensus for it here? Love, like, hate?

Why the f*ck would you fill a bathtub with money & then await to be killed in it?/10 (8/10)

Ever wondered why Indians Bollywood dance in their movies just to say 'I love you' to their lover ?

We love going over the top. It was a standard bollywood fare, a well done Bollywood fare.

I think the brother wanted to shit on his boss twice by both getting him killed, and ruining some of his money. That's at least the explanation I came up with.

If I'm gonna get shot, I'd love to have it done in a bathtub full of money. I honestly do not understand your confusion.

For Colored Girls - 5/10...
Could've been a decent movie if they didn't kill the pacing with stupid poetic monologues that lasted for 10+ minutes.
Great cast with great performances though.

Grown Ups 7.5/10

Was very funny at times then at others completely stupid, but I'm a sucker for Adam Sandler, still I'm glad I only rented this. Also Rob Snieder makes me laugh and he doesn't even need to say anything, he's really just the goofiest **** out there.

Battle Los Angeles

I heard rumor that Leonard Maltin was giving an advance screening at the Norris Cinema Theatre here at USC, so I snuck in. To my distress, the film was nothing more than average.

Sometimes a strictly formula film is exactly what I want, but here I was disappointed. It is certainly not bad; the action and visuals are enjoyable, but all told I found it unmemorable. It claimed to be a fusion of Black Hawk Down and Independence Day, two films that I very much enjoy, but it lacked the intensity of the former and the fun characters of the latter.

The Departed - 8.5/10

Leonardo DiCaprio + Jack Nicholson = F*cking awesome.

The A Team 8.5/10

Liam Neeson can have my babies. Anyway fun movie, stupid physics and stunts but lots of fun. I didn't mind the Michael Bay explosions but this movie was awesome. It was highly entertaining but I'm also glad I rented it

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - 10/10

The night before last, from 10PM to 10AM, a friend & I watched all three extended editions in a row. 12 hours of Lord of the Rings, something I'd always wanted to do in one sitting.
These films are just so... perfect, as films alone they are fantastic; beautiful music, talented cast, amazing director, epic plot, fantastic landscapes, the list goes on. But they are more than films to me, I was 7 when I watched Fellowship of the Ring in theaters, I barely understood what was going on but I loved every second of it, being so prominent in my childhood these films will ultimately stick with me forever, 10/10.

Re-did this the other day, with drinking involved this time around... my god I cried like a little girl at the end, it was amazing. Change 10/10 to 11/10.

I watched all the extended editions with cast commentary, very humorous and informative.

I watched all the extended editions with cast commentary, very humorous and informative.

Really? Does anyone mention the alleged Frodo <3 Sam relationship? That's something I've been curious about, but didn't want to spend 12 hours listening to commentary for.

Really? Does anyone mention the alleged Frodo <3 Sam relationship? That's something I've been curious about, but didn't want to spend 12 hours listening to commentary for.

No, they talk about how they are close friends. Ian Mckellen mentions how he suggested to Jackson that Sam grabs Frodos hand at one point because that's what happens in the book, other than that I don't think they were written to be gay.

The Ghost Writer 8/10
I thought this was a pretty good movie, it had a solid flow and I liked the ending. My only problem was that when I was watching it my DVD crapped out halfway through and it took me an hour to be able to finish watching. The movie just seems to be a giant troll by Polanski against the US, which makes it that much better for me.

No, they talk about how they are close friends. Ian Mckellen mentions how he suggested to Jackson that Sam grabs Frodos hand at one point because that's what happens in the book, other than that I don't think they were written to be gay.

Ah okay, that's good then.

rangou.jpg

Rango - 9/10

This movie is probably one of the most bizarre "kids" movies I've seen in recent memories. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, though I had read it got quite a few good reviews. Despite being a kids movie featuring talking reptiles and rodents (and the voice of Johnny Depp), this has to be one of the most visually stunning westerns I have ever seen. None of the characters, despite being animals, are "cute". Quite the contrary. all of them have a real ragged, earthy, disgusting look to them. The animators really went out of their way to make everything look as dirty and disgusting as possible without going too far. Thats always been my biggest complaint about older western movies... the characters always seemed too clean and neat for a town with nothing but dirt/mud roads. And then there is the story it self. While not totally original (The Book of Eli had similar plot elements), it kept me entertained as well as laughing. I highly recommend this movie to anyone. But keep in mind... This is not Disney, or Pixar, or Dreamworks. Gore Verbinski and the animators at ILM have created something truly unique. It definitely isn't your standards kids flick.

Rango - 9/10

This movie is probably one of the most bizarre "kids" movies I've seen in recent memories. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, though I had read it got quite a few good reviews. Despite being a kids movie featuring talking reptiles and rodents (and the voice of Johnny Depp), this has to be one of the most visually stunning westerns I have ever seen. None of the characters, despite being animals, are "cute". Quite the contrary. all of them have a real ragged, earthy, disgusting look to them. The animators really went out of their way to make everything look as dirty and disgusting as possible without going too far. Thats always been my biggest complaint about older western movies... the characters always seemed too clean and neat for a town with nothing but dirt/mud roads. And then there is the story it self. While not totally original (The Book of Eli had similar plot elements), it kept me entertained as well as laughing. I highly recommend this movie to anyone. But keep in mind... This is not Disney, or Pixar, or Dreamworks. Gore Verbinski and the animators at ILM have created something truly unique. It definitely isn't your standards kids flick.

Agreed. I loved it.

The Walking Dead Season 1 9/10

Love this show! and I've been saying they need a good zombie tv show for years. Biggest downside is that the 1st season was only 6 episodes, but other than that an the iffy ending I can see this show going places :D

American Beauty - 8.5/10

Not bad. Kinda sick of it now though, after having watched it 30 million times for Media.

Spartacus (first season):
-First two episodes: 1/10
-Rest of the first half of the season: 4/10
-Second half of the season: 8/10

I got pissed off that people kept saying this show was so great. When it first showed up on netflix I watched the first episode and only made it 3/4 of the way through before turning it off with disgust. Then I heard people liked it, sp I forced myself to watch it again, along with the second episode. I then resolved to hate it from then on, for the second episode was just as awful. Last week I heard some people talking about it again, speaking highly of it, and they were people whose opinion I held in fairly high regard. I looked it up on the internet and saw the congregate reviews seemed to say it was really good. "How can this be? They're never usually THAT far off." So I decided to watch every single episode even if it was going to kill me. The first two episodes are possibly the worst things I've ever seen aired on television. I'd rather watch anything on the disney channel for two hours than watch them again. After those two episodes though, the terrible parts are toned way, way down. The stupid slow-mo, the shot for shot rip-offs of 300, the awkward and forced cussing, etc. Instead the plot becomes the focus, and it surprised me with how decent it was. In the first half the story is pretty generic, though not terrible. The second half though, especially the latter episodes really become quite spectacular. I used to be pissed when people said it was "like Rome" because when I only watched the first two episodes it was nothing like Rome at all and so I figured the quality of Rome was lost on those people. I was wrong. Rome is still clearly the better story, but the treachery and political moves in Spartacus are no joke. I was actually quite excited to see where the story was going to end up.

I just watched the first episode of the prequel season, and it looks to keep the high quality of the last few episodes, so I'm looking forward to seeing them. I have never been so wrong about a show, and have never seen a show so fully redeem itself after such an awful initial showing.

I got pissed off that people kept saying this show was so great. When it first showed up on netflix I watched the first episode and only made it 3/4 of the way through before turning it off with disgust. Then I heard people liked it, sp I forced myself to watch it again, along with the second episode. I then resolved to hate it from then on, for the second episode was just as awful. Last week I heard some people talking about it again, speaking highly of it, and they were people whose opinion I held in fairly high regard. I looked it up on the internet and saw the congregate reviews seemed to say it was really good. "How can this be? They're never usually THAT far off." So I decided to watch every single episode even if it was going to kill me. The first two episodes are possibly the worst things I've ever seen aired on television. I'd rather watch anything on the disney channel for two hours than watch them again. After those two episodes though, the terrible parts are toned way, way down. The stupid slow-mo, the shot for shot rip-offs of 300, the awkward and forced cussing, etc. Instead the plot becomes the focus, and it surprised me with how decent it was. In the first half the story is pretty generic, though not terrible. The second half though, especially the latter episodes really become quite spectacular. I used to be pissed when people said it was "like Rome" because when I only watched the first two episodes it was nothing like Rome at all and so I figured the quality of Rome was lost on those people. I was wrong. Rome is still clearly the better story, but the treachery and political moves in Spartacus are no joke. I was actually quite excited to see where the story was going to end up.

I just watched the first episode of the prequel season, and it looks to keep the high quality of the last few episodes, so I'm looking forward to seeing them. I have never been so wrong about a show, and have never seen a show so fully redeem itself after such an awful initial showing.

This sums up my experience with this show perfectly. By the time I began the third episode I was amazed that this had 2 episodes and other shows that were actually good get canceled every season. As for the quality of the prequel I think it stayed on par with the last episodes of season one throughout all six episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing how season two will turn out with the loss of the main character, Andy Whitfield.

I was fortunate to see the show each night it arrived on Netflix not too long ago. Same thing happened with me. Friend from work said it was good, kinda liked the premise, thought it was a cheesy knockoff of 300 with the fake blood then it really started to grow on me, probably on episode 3. Then recently I finished the prequel series and was upset to find it was only 6 episodes. It ended too soon for my liking

EDIT:

Unstoppable 8.5/10

Solid thriller/action movie that didn't feel too generic but played out well. Felt very fast and the hour and half that was watched felt literally like a half hour movie. I love movies that suck you in and make you forget about other stuff. Also this was based on a true story

Buried - 5/10

Why on Earth is this film so critically acclaimed? It was downright awful. Granted it was ambitious and blah, blah, blah, it achieved being a feature length film taking place in one location. But, it was so boring! Don't get me wrong, I find explosions, ninja moves and jumping unfeasible heights dull too, I love a good ol' dialogue fest (The Social Network, The King's Speech, for example), but my goodness, this was possibly the most disappointing film I've ever seen. 5/10

127 Hours - 9/10

I'm doing this in the same review because 127 Hours is almost the same film as Buried, except it's a million times better.
Snappy editing, backstory, flashbacks, flashforwards, more than one non-voice character, hallucinations and a happy ending makes 127 Hours the best film I've seen in a long while. 9/10

Buried - 5/10

Why on Earth is this film so critically acclaimed? It was downright awful. Granted it was ambitious and blah, blah, blah, it achieved being a feature length film taking place in one location. But, it was so boring! Don't get me wrong, I find explosions, ninja moves and jumping unfeasible heights dull too, I love a good ol' dialogue fest (The Social Network, The King's Speech, for example), but my goodness, this was possibly the most disappointing film I've ever seen. 5/10

127 Hours - 9/10

I'm doing this in the same review because 127 Hours is almost the same film as Buried, except it's a million times better.
Snappy editing, backstory, flashbacks, flashforwards, more than one non-voice character, hallucinations and a happy ending makes 127 Hours the best film I've seen in a long while. 9/10

way to ruin the ending. I will not watch that movie now that I know he lives :p

Stargate Atlantis Season 2
7/10
Season 1 was so much more exciting than this season. I don't know why but I'm starting to dislike most of the characters now too. Other than that some episodes are really fun and exciting but there were far too many filler episodes that just annoyed the hell out of me. Still looking forward to season 3 because season 1 was good and I'm hoping it gets better. Also I predicted half the shit that was going down, its almost too easy with this show which leaves me no surprises

The Atlantis cast took me a long time to like, they're all so obnoxious that it's actually annoying.

Knowing: wtf/10

I watched this based on Ebert's recommendation.

The movie starts out as a kind of "frequencies" drama about predicting the future. Then it kind of goes off into this weird ghost hunter thing for a while and then finally ending way out in left field in biblical rapture and alien angel territory.

It's not a bad movie necessarily unless you try to consider the movie as one cohesive whole, because it is anything but cohesive. The first 90 minutes of this movie are pretty entertaining. It's never quite clear if this is a drama about knowing and trying to change the future as tragedies occur, or a horror movie about creeping around scary places at night with pale faced albinos that don't speak. But you can forget about all of those things because the end of the movie has nothing to do with any of those things. There was really no motivation or reason for the first half of the movie anyways. Nicholas Cage is generally unlikable throughout.

Rango: 7.5/10

Saw this on a whim with my little brother and wow. When I saw the adverts for this, I kinda wrote it off. Boy was I wrong. It reminded me a lot of older Nicktoons in terms of content and style. This "kid's movie" was rough and scary. It swore. It had a weird abstract monologue for the first 15 minutes. It has vocabulary that had me guessing. It really was an awesome movie.

127 Hours - 9/10

Totally agree, I was blown away by the quality of this film. The cinematography was incredible. This film conveyed pain so well, better than anything I've ever seen. Definitely a much better film than Buried.

Back