Films: Rate and Discuss

Scream 4 - 8/10

Call me biased being an existing fan of the franchise, but I loved it, did not disappoint.

I know, I'm not trying to say Sam and Frodo are homosexuals. Forgive me my use of the term, amongst my social interactions 'gay' usually means something different to 'homosexual'. In this context it does anyway.

In the context of LotR you're certainly talking about things that imply their homosexuality, ie: Their close friendship. Commit to what you say.

Coincidentally

The Lord of the Rings: Extended Editions 5.5/10 (That is to say, all three)

Ugh, I have yet to read the books, but as a movie none of this works at all. ****ing pacing, my god.

Hobo with a Shotgun: I honestly don't know what to rate this movie/10

Watched it with some friends and it was like a cross between Zombieland (for the gore factor I guess) and The Dark Knight. Essentially, a hobo comes into this crime ridden city and is horrified by the crimes being committed (such as the opening scene where the crime boss puts this guy's head in a manhole cover, puts a noose made of barbed wire over his head, attaches it to a car, and drives off to decapitate him, followed by a chick in a bikini dancing in the fountain of blood spewing from his neck). He proceeds to buy a shotgun and deliver justice himself and makes friends with a hooker. The rest you'll have to find out for yourself. The hobo sounds like a cross between Clint Eastwood and Batman from the Dark Knight, and the crime boss acts peculiarly similar to the Joker.

A summary:
A vigilante homeless man pulls into a new city and finds himself trapped in urban chaos, a city where crime rules and where the city's crime boss reigns. Seeing an urban landscape filled with armed robbers, corrupt cops, abused prostitutes and even a pedophile Santa, the Hobo goes about bringing justice to the city the best way he knows how - with a 20-gauge shotgun. Mayhem ensues when he tries to make things better for the future generation. Street justice will indeed prevail.

Pros: Uh, colorful scenery at times
Cons: Bad acting, bad lines, cheesy gore, and an attempt at remaking a much gorier version of The Dark Knight.

Things I learned from the movie:

Getting zapped by a toaster makes you ejaculate.
When live gives you razorblades, you make a baseball bat covered in razorblades.
When you get sawed in the neck it only takes a few stitches and a couple of hours until you can fully move your neck.

Trailer (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssHEAOrAdCU

In the context of LotR you're certainly talking about things that imply their homosexuality, ie: Their close friendship. Commit to what you say.

Coincidentally

The Lord of the Rings: Extended Editions 5.5/10 (That is to say, all three)

Ugh, I have yet to read the books, but as a movie none of this works at all. ****ing pacing, my god.

Probably would've worked better if you had watched the original cuts before the extended editions.

But even then, the pacing is very hit-and-miss. It's one of Jackon's biggest flaws as a director.

Hobo with a Shotgun: I honestly don't know what to rate this movie/10

uhh... i'm not quite sure what to make of this post. you do know that this film is an intentional joke, right? that it isn't meant to be taken seriously, that it was made off the back of the popularity of machete, a similarly mindless gorefest of a film also made out of popularity from the fact it was a over the top fake trailer slotted inbetween the tarantino/rodriquez grindhouse films in which hobo with a shotgun was also invented, yeah? i think you may of looked into it a little too much, it was going to be bad from the fake trailer released way back alone, and everyone is well aware of that to this day. i wouldn't go into this film looking for something credible to take away.

Paul

Much, much better than the trailer lets on. It's pretty far removed from Edgar Wright's style in the duo's other movies, but you can definitely notice the influence, and it's capable in it's own right. Sharp, zingy, nicely paced throughout, jokes rarely fall flat, references are spot-on, characters are weirdly relatable, and the plot is halfway decent to boot. Most notably, Seth Rogen's character doesn't play up to his typecast nearly as much as I'd expected, despite playing another laid-back stoner. Well worth a watch, especially if you're a movie or sci-fi buff - the referential humour and plays on film tropes are ****ing knee deep.

Couple moments that didn't sit right with me, though -

Firstly, when the agent guy shoots Ruth's dad on the highway. This seemed kind of dark and sucked the wind out of an otherwise exhilarating section, especially since it looked to me as though he'd been hit in the head. Of course, he shows up later with the bullet in the bible (which is also a bit cringeworthy), but by that point the pace has already picked up again, so hey.

Also, Ruth's dad shooting Graeme. This part was pulled off okay (despite being utterly predictable as a climax after Graeme asking Paul if he'd ever healed a human), but afterwards they just kind of let Ruth's dad hang around. Like... no one cares that he just ****ing killed a guy? Even Graeme seems to be getting pally with him. I mean, I understand they probably didn't want to make it a downer ending, but that just seemed off, especially since they portray him as nothing but a villain throughout and don't even attempt to redeem him as a character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkB5-BHxKZI

The Goonies 9/10

Can't believe I didn't see this movie till now. For PG it had swears and plenty of sexual innuendo to make any PG-13 movie of today blush. Anyway a much watch if you never saw it, very funny and heartwarming.

Scream 4 8.5/10

Solid slasher flick that feels like the original and was just as zaney as the others. Must watch if your a fan of the original. one complaint: at first my friends and i thought we were alone in the theater, then some douchbag group of people came in all talking on their cell phones...but by the previews they stopped. something like that always ruins the movie for me because I can't concentrate but I'm so glad it was still a silent movie theater for the most part

Underbelly - 7.5/10

Was slightly disappointed with this series, after all the hype it's received I went in with high expectations, which fell slightly short. Still, it was okay, informative if anything. + It's nice to see Melbourne in an at least half decent production. 7.5/10

uhh... i'm not quite sure what to make of this post. you do know that this film is an intentional joke, right? that it isn't meant to be taken seriously, that it was made off the back of the popularity of machete, a similarly mindless gorefest of a film also made out of popularity from the fact it was a over the top fake trailer slotted inbetween the tarantino/rodriquez grindhouse films in which hobo with a shotgun was also invented, yeah? i think you may of looked into it a little too much, it was going to be bad from the fake trailer released way back alone, and everyone is well aware of that to this day. i wouldn't go into this film looking for something credible to take away.

Yes..

well, it just seemed odd that all the things you took from that movie as cons were all, really, the pros of the film and how it was intended to be. planet terror was much the same, but it excelled in how awful it was, which is always the selling point of b-movies. hobo with a shotgun is no different - over the top, nonsensical, gory and hilarious.

Underbelly - 7.5/10

Was slightly disappointed with this series, after all the hype it's received I went in with high expectations, which fell slightly short. Still, it was okay, informative if anything. + It's nice to see Melbourne in an at least half decent production. 7.5/10

You should see The Golden Mile, it's great.

You should see The Golden Mile, it's great.

Is it really? I've heard (from non-critical perspective mind) that it's the weakest of the series. I might give it a watch if you recommend it though, I wasn't intending to watch the other Underbelly's.

Thor

Was fun. Not groundbreaking, but certainly one of the more entertaining superhero films out there. The parts where Thor was unfamiliar with Earth were cleverly done at times. The ice giants were cool and frightening looking. The whole "MYSTICISM IS JUST SCIENCE WE DON'T UNDERSTAND YET" bits were a tad annoying though. Get a bit sick of every film's attempt at merging science and mythology to make everyone happy.

Source Code - 8/10

Was pleasantly surprised by this. Went in expecting yet another time travel/groundhog day type story, but it managed to be unpredictable. Even though the same bit was repeated over and over, it was always different enough to keep me interested. Overall a good sci-fi movie.

Yeah, I happened to see Thor twice. The first time, alone, because I wanted to check it out, and the second with a lady friend. The first time over I wasn't particularly impressed and rolled my eyes at the forced and silly humour of the assistant, but the second time...well, I enjoyed it a whole lot more. That's not to say it's a great film - it's not - but as ZT says, it's definitely one of the better Marvel superhero films. Hemsworth shows promise and had great chemistry with Portman and Loki, for all his obvious and none-too-subtle duplicity, was played wonderfully by Tim Hiddleston, giving the film a whole lot of weight. Loki's arc actually surprised me with its culmination, and that's a rare and pleasant treat for a Marvel film.

I realise that on my first watch, I didn't want to like Thor. I was pre-disposed toward disliking it, and so I sat there, arms crossed, huffing the whole way through. But the reality is it's just damn good fun. It's also better than Iron Man and its sequel.

Alternative theory for liking it: she did.

Source Code - 8/10

Was pleasantly surprised by this. Went in expecting yet another time travel/groundhog day type story, but it managed to be unpredictable. Even though the same bit was repeated over and over, it was always different enough to keep me interested. Overall a good sci-fi movie.

I liked it too. However, I felt the ending was too feel-good and the military formalism started to grate after awhile. Did anyone else think that Jeffrey Wright's character was fantastic? I know he was stereotypically written, but I just loved the little idiosyncrasies of his character.

It's also better than Iron Man and its sequel.

I really liked the first Iron Man, but didn't care for the second. I'll definitely check this one out, although to be honest I didn't even know this comic book character existed until this movie.

Yeah, they cocked up with the second. Except for Rockwell - he stole the show.

Oh, and I felt the villain in Source Code was overplayed and rubbish.

Thor - 8.5/10...
Easily the best comic book movie I've ever seen.
The music was great, the acting was mostly good, the CGI was great, and the story was surprisingly good for a comic book movie.

I can't wait for The Avengers, god damn.

****, I want to see this again.

Source Code - 8.5/10

I loved this film. The mechanics are established early and hammered in, confusion isn't an issue here, this I think makes it fantastic. (I had to watch Inception twice to fully understand it, and it's no more complex than SC). Performances were good, directing was very good, and the music was appropriate enough. My only complaint is what Samon already said,
Oh, and I felt the villain in Source Code was overplayed and rubbish.

The villain's motives make sense, but his portrayal was wrong, he wasn't crazy or angry enough, he lacks real depth and was inappropriately cast. That aside though the film is about more than just him so I suppose it's slightly forgivable that he lacks proper depth.
8.5/10

Matilda: 6/10

Vastly inferior to the version that I had in my head when I wanted to watch this. I remembered it being much, much better, but honestly it was kind of shitty. Nostalgia bombs don't usually work like that for me, so I was really disappointed. :(

Thor 8.5/10

Much better story than most Super Hero Movies, great acting, decent amount of action and very good pacing. I liked pretty much all the characters too, they seemed cast very well. For Disney to take over Marvel I am still impressed. Fanboys seemed to have ditched the whole "they're going to butcher my childhood" shit because so far Marvel Movies are the best thing for Hollywood atm. But thats merely my opinion

Fight Club - 9/10

It seems odd that I watched this less than a week after finishing Black Ops, by pure chance.
Cool movie though, Brad Pitt is actually a damn good actor and Edward Norton is always good value. The film is clear cut, there's no confusion as to the story at any point which is always good value. 9/10

Thor 8.5/10

Much better story than most Super Hero Movies, great acting, decent amount of action and very good pacing. I liked pretty much all the characters too, they seemed cast very well. For Disney to take over Marvel I am still impressed. Fanboys seemed to have ditched the whole "they're going to butcher my childhood" shit because so far Marvel Movies are the best thing for Hollywood atm. But thats merely my opinion

Mm, merely. I don't think I've ever read anyone argue that the Marvel films have "ruined their childhood".

Monsters
6/10

Not a terrible movie, but not great in any way either. Worth seeing if you've got nothing to watch and you are in the mood for a sci-fi/personal struggle film. Overall I was disappointed in the film, not because I expected more action or more aliens (I expected it to be more of a drama) but in the way everything was handled. First of all, I ****ing hate the main characters, not even sure why, but especially the woman. The woman is terribly helpless in the film, and her only perk is that she speaks spanish. The guy on the other hand is the kind of annoying American that doesn't understand other cultures kind of stereotype. Just both pretty bland and unlikeable for me.
My other issue is the time in which they show the aliens. They show the first alien right in the beginning, full body and everything. Then throughout the film we very seldom see the aliens, an occasional subtle glimpse. This makes the creatures boring and uninteresting, we JUST saw what the aliens look like in the first few minutes of the film, showing a quick tentacle or a shadowy figure doesn't make the aliens mysterious, because we know what they look like.
Lastly, the film is kind of cheesey and overt at times in trying to send a metaphorical message, for example, "AMERICA SURE DOES LOOK DIFFERENT FROM THE OUTSIDE HUH, WHEN YOU GO HOME TOMORROW AND YOU ARE COMFORTABLE IN AMERICA, WE'RE GOING TO FORGET ABOUT ALL THESE PROBLEMS ON THE OUTSIDE. PRETTY WEIRD WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, IF YOU GET WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY."

That said, I thought the last alien scene was pretty cool, even though it was once again pulled down by some lame half assed allegory a minute later.

Inglorurious Basterds: 10/10

Watched for the first time last night, holy mother of god. I was very high, and I think that contributed greatly to the experience. The dialogue and humour was top-notch, and the sudden transition to graphic violence was a very effective way to play with the audience's emotions. However, what I liked the most was the wonderful blending of languages, which made the dialogue and the setting all the more interesting.

Stand By Me - 8.9/10

Just now have gotten around to seeing this classic coming-of-age film. And well, I don't know what to say about this film. It's awesome. It's incredibly quotable. It features some fine talent from the mid-80's. It really makes a man pause and reminisce about his lost youth. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

Stand By Me - 8.9/10

Just now have gotten around to seeing this classic coming-of-age film. And well, I don't know what to say about this film. It's awesome. It's incredibly quotable. It features some fine talent from the mid-80's. It really makes a man pause and reminisce about his lost youth. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

That's a great film, I adored it as a child and it still holds up to my expectations.

Stand By Me is fantastic. I've been meaning to watch it again, and I think I'll do that tomorrow!

Stand By Me - 8.9/10

Stand By Me is fantastic, I got to study it at school.

The Hangover 2 9/10

Very funny and almost just like the original. Could not stop laughing during some scenes

Takers 8/10

Average and good action movie that was well worth the watch

The Hangover 2 9/10

Very funny and almost just like the original. Could not stop laughing during some scenes

Takers 8/10

Average and good action movie that was well worth the watch

.__.

Average and good action movie

.__.

Average and good

.__.

Thor - 6/10 - I think this was the last film I watched. Yet another forgettable film made entirely to set up and platform Avengers into the blockbuster stratosphere. No where near as bad as The Incredible Hulk remake, luckily. Started off all dandy, some somewhat decent action and pacing to kickstart the testosterone. Of course, then he landed on planet Earth with Natalie Portman and her disgustingly bland associates. Typical write-in-your-sleep scripting shit follows, then they go back to wherever they are from and there's a nice climatic scene between Thor and Loki, but by that time I was asleep. Found myself rooting for Loki, Thor is deplorable and a utterly arrogant wank. Where was the part where we were supposed to like him/he developed as a character? Could have some interesting father/son dynamic a la Gladiator (Joaquin Phoenix and his usurping in the first 15 minutes of that film portrayed more depth then this entire film did) but the opportunity was wasted. Strange really, I'm sure Branagh could've pulled a superhero film off with some depth.

Also saw it in 3D (not my decision), took off glasses for three quarters of the ****ing film because I couldn't see what the hell was going on. Absolutely dreadful that people actually legitimately want to pay for this.

Oh, right, that's fair enough. I do agree that 3D really shouldn't cost extra - while it doesn't hurt my eyes or anything, it's a little insulting that if you're going to go see a film that's meant to be a bit of a spectacle (Avatar?) you have to cough up an extra 5-10 dollars.

.____________________________.

I don't get why they brought back 3d. It wasn't cool when I was 6, and it's not cool now. It's obnoxious as hell.

Jaws3D_01.jpg

Back