Game of Thrones thread with lots of books spoilers inside spoiler tags

asoiaf.westeros.org, the principal ASOIAF fan site, hit upon the truly brilliant idea of flooding their forums and the internet at large with tons of fake spoilers, so if some newcomer accidentally stumbled across real spoilers, they would dismiss them with all the rest.

Yeah, so basically they did it exactly the same as Rome did it:

"Oh hey guys, remember that huge awesome battle that just happened here a few hours ago? Oh you missed it? Well even though there's only like 5 guys walking around now and a bit of smoke, let me tell you, it was really epic and had thousands of knights and horses and shit, take my word on that. Lots of cool stuff went down, you should have seen it."

Ser Jaime Lannister, reporting in.

nlqNP.png

Tywin Lannister has a theory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMxY0Lxo_ow
How come no one mentioned Jorah's fight? It was the best so far.

lyy2D.jpg

Sean Bean is always wonderful in these kind of roles. It's a shame to see the "main" character killed off but it was inevitable. Even i knew that it was coming yet i haven't read any of the books. My only worry is that the rest of the cast may not be able to carry the series by themselves. They're lacking a strong lead now. Rumor is that role of Stannis Baratheon will be played by a big name actor.

If Stannis is played by Mark Strong it would indeed be awesome. I especially like the idea of him being a lead. Buuuut, I don't know. Doesn't quite work with his role in the book, and he's extremely unpopular with most people. Davos would be a much more logical choice for 'star lead' imo.

At first I thought Tywinn was the same actor as the undercover cop in Resevoir Dogs

Edit: Should I spoiler tag that? Has everyone seen Resevoir Dogs already?

Sean Bean is always wonderful in these kind of roles. It's a shame to see the "main" character killed off but it was inevitable. Even i knew that it was coming yet i haven't read any of the books. My only worry is that the rest of the cast may not be able to carry the series by themselves. They're lacking a strong lead now. Rumor is that role of Stannis Baratheon will be played by a big name actor.

Well, the books don't really have a lead character after the first book. The last episode kind of sets the mood for the whole rest of the series, with lots of chaos and people scrambling to get power, get revenge, or just stay alive. Theres plenty of main characters, but no real lead, and I think thats one of the reasons why the book has such a broad appeal. Everyone has a main character they like once the dust after last episodes' event clears. The reason I kept reading the books is because I grew fond of Arya and Tyrion, while a lot of people like Jon, Dany, Robb, etc. Nobody likes Sansa though.

More people like Sansa than Stannis! She actually gets interesting in book 5, and you know there's some good shit in store for her.

But yeah, Stannis Baratheon fan club. Population: Viper.

I love seeing the internet's reaction to what happened :D everyone's so sad / mad.

Finished the book last night... and consequently very much looking forward to the finale on Sunday. Gonna start on Book 2 tomorrow.

More people like Sansa than Stannis! She actually gets interesting in book 5, and you know there's some good shit in store for her.

But yeah, Stannis Baratheon fan club. Population: Viper.

I actually like Stannis as well. And not just more than Sansa, but I actually like his character. Not a whole lot, but I think thats mainly because there's not a whole lot of his point of view in the books.

Extremely Minor book spoiler.
It also could be some rub-off effect of Davos, because Davos is awesome.

His steel dress sure helped out in that fight.

what's quite amusing is that i recently rewatched episode three in which jorah is advising a dothraki warrior in the ways of armour and the negative effects a dothraki weapon would have against it and whatdyaknow, he was right. that fight was ace.

Hoping for more Loras/Renly scenes. The show needs more slurping sounds

Ennui I think you're going to like Davos. He's the best damn character.

He's basically Stannis's lackey and naval commander. I think he was a pirate who ran a blockade at some critical siege for Stannis so he got promoted to official status but also got his fingers chopped off because of his pirate days.

He's Stannis' foil and advisor. Like Dan said he's a lowborn pirate that got promoted to officer and knight by Stannis. He offers Stannis a moderating viewpoint and his morality is basically "I want my wife and kids to be ok" as opposed to everyone else's "Honour is the most important thing" and "Power is the most important thing."

Well, I guess that blows my extremely minor book spoiler right out into the open. Ok then.

There are seven major characters introduced in Book 2, right? The three at Dragonstone, the three at Pyke, and the Maid of Tarth.

Mark Strong is Stannis. The rest I don't care who they cast, although who plays Mel is fun to speculate over. I always joke Christina Hendricks is best suited to the role, but I may be slightly biased thanks to Mad Men and Serenity.

So, the guy who plays Grand Master Pycelle was also the bad guy in Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade. Mind blown for the day.

I really love this show but I get names and faces mixed up.
I should ask /tv/ to make a chart with all the Characters and their names.

I really love this show but I get names and faces mixed up.
I should ask /tv/ to make a chart with all the Characters and their names.

Ha, you have no idea. NO IDEA.

So I was playing Flames of War at the local shop today, and I was talking to some of the guys there about the show. They were absolutely beaming when talking about it. Awesome that its popular enough that I'm running into random people in real life that are getting into it.

HBO.com has a show guide that has family trees and everything. Should help a bit.

A few dozen pages into book 2... enjoying it so far. I think you guys are right in saying that I'm going to like Davos.

westeros-101-the-houses-of-game-of-thrones-infographic-01.jpg

here you go

Thats kind of a poor tree, as they don't even have all the characters they mention in the first season. Stannins Baratheon for example, who obviously becomes a major character.

Cat and her sister are there. It's obviously not comprehensive because there it doesn't have the Freys or Stannis or any character who doesn't have a photo

A Wiki of Ice and Fire has the best, most comprehensive family trees, but these same trees also list who is dead and who is alive as of the end of the most recent book, so they're unfortunately quite useless to new fans.

The Tully family is actually remarkably small and straightforward:

Lord Hoster, his dead wife Minisa, his brother Brynden "Blackfish", and his three children, Catelyn, Lysa, and Edmure.

Thats kind of a poor tree, as they don't even have all the characters they mention in the first season. Stannins Baratheon for example, who obviously becomes a major character.

as far as putting faces to names for the tv show it's alright though, as thunderclap pointed out there aren't photos for some characters yet so there isn't really too much of a need to see them.

Watching it repeat over and over, you can tell that those were pretty decent slaps in real life too. None of that old school "miss them by a foot and pretend to have gotten hit" crap.

Cat and her sister are there. It's obviously not comprehensive because there it doesn't have the Freys or Stannis or any character who doesn't have a photo
Dasejklawehkjlhkjtsdthkjsdt yes, but it doesn't say they're Tullys. Seriously, people right now just think Riverrun is just some place they grew up. Not seeing Hoster or Edmure or Brynden or Riverrun = 'Cat and Lysa are just sisters from some family in the Riverlands.' To viewers, 'Tully' still hasn't been made synonymous with 'overlord of the Riverlands.'

Another concern I have is Rhaegar. He's so historically important yet he hasn't received more than one mention.

Back