Grilled Cheese Appreciation Thread

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Whether you called it grilled cheese or a cheese toastie, one thing is certain. Almost nothing can rival the taste and satisfaction of eating a well-done, home cooked grilled cheese.

My classic grilled cheese sandwich:

1) Start with two slices of 100% whole wheat bread and two slices of thick cheddar cheese

P1000631.jpg

2) Set stove top to just a little above medium on the stove, melt a pat of butter in it

P1000632.jpg

3) Put slice of bread and cheese on. OPTIONAL: Add tabasco

P1000634.jpg

4) After a minute or so when the time is right, add another pat of butter for the other side and flip it

P1000635.jpg

5) Cook this side, pressing down makes it better!

P1000636.jpg

6) Remove from pan, cut corner-to-corner (side-to-side is for homos) and feast.

P1000637-1.jpg

Goes extremely well with any kind of soup, especially tomato, and is great for dipping in said soup. Another fantastic addition is a few strips of soft bacon (you can even use the bacon grease in the pan instead of butter to fry the sandwich in).

Rejoice in your love of this delicious and classic old-school American snack and feel free to share your own creations and recipes.

I used to hate grilled cheese as a young kid, but I've grown to like it. Most likely because I'm able to make it the way I like it now. My dad is a big fan of putting hot sauce on anything, so the way you make it seems common in my house. I like putting lunch meat on mine, like ham or something. And I make it with Swiss sometimes. Its a very good snack/lunch depending on how hungry you are.

Edit: That reminds me of something I loved as a young kid, and hate now. Fried Bologna.

I don't really care too much for grilled cheese sandwiches, but your pictures make me want it. I'm sure they're ultimately delicious under certain conditions.

Frank's Red Hot, despite its ultra misleading name, is also absolutely delicious on a grilled cheese, especially if you don't like how Tabasco's taste kind of overwhelms the sandwich.

Yep. We always have a bottle of that laying around in the fridge...somewhere.
REDH.jpg

wtf? why the butter in pan? you some kind of fatty ? :p

bread in toaster > cheese on toast > cheese on toast under grill > win

I had a big slice of the grilled chees yesterday at company's canteen. Here in the Czech Republic grilled cheese (without bread!) is something like national food, everyone loves that.

It helps the pan not stick. Otherwise you have burnt bread sticking to the pan. Usually better than that PAM crap.

lrn2cook

Also, grilled cheese with fries and ketchup is delightful.

With all the butter, whole wheat is essential for keeping it from becoming McGrilled Cheez.

It helps the pan not stick. Otherwise you have burnt bread sticking to the pan. Usually better than that PAM crap.

lrn2cook
lrn2nostickpan, noob

Butter two opposite sides of bread, place butter side down in pan, slap cheese on there, put the other piece of bread butter side up, flip.

Also, cook some tomato soup with it. Grilled cheese and tomato soup go perfect together.

Cheese on toast is delicious. I usually mix a nice extra-mature Cheddar with some red Leicester or local cheese. Although the cheeses around here tend to be a bit crumbly.

I'm going to make some of this tomorrow (WE HAVE NO CHEESE :< )

edit: I often have cheese on toast and tomato soup (When I am here). It's good to know that I'm not alone in appreciating this.

Also I cook mine... under a grill :shh:

Rye Bread is way better with grilled cheese. It fries better, has a slight crunch, and doesn't get soggy and thin.

That's hilarious, I was planning on doing the exact same thing with fried zucchini. I was taking photos of the steps and everything. I finished eating and came online to find this.

I also found photos of grilled cheese, fried rice and a custom pinani sandwich still on my camera from a while ago.

(I had been planning on making a recipe thread since the last one where Tyguy needed ideas on learning to cook.)

Some steps are missing unfortunately

Need to crop the photos and stuff, but maybe I'll put them in here later.

Going to make one now, thread has inspired me. Too bad I can't find my damn camera or I'd take pictures.

Awesome BHC, that is entirely the reason I made this thread.

Not a fatty (note my extremely not pudgy fingers), but butter is super tasty and gives it a ton of the flavor. I like frying it in butter more than buttering it and then frying it.
I had a big slice of the grilled chees yesterday at company's canteen. Here in the Czech Republic grilled cheese (without bread!) is something like national food, everyone loves that.
How do you make grilled cheese without bread? Also seconding the Campbell's soup recommendation, it is the best.

Sigh. Do we really need a grilled cheese appreciation thread?

Yes we do. Cheese types. If you don't use cheddar you are worthless. DISCUSS.

That looks delicious too. MuToiD I agree. My brother always gives me shit for using cheddar and wheat bread, he thinks white bread and kraft singles are the only way to go. I prefer real cheese.

Fried Zucchini

A fantastic side dish or appetizer

You Will Need:
- Zucchini
- Olive Oil
- 1 Egg
- Bread Crumbs

You can buy bread crumbs if you don't want to make your own:

How To:
1) Slice The Zucchini
2) Beat 1 or 2 eggs in a bowl with a bit of water (1 or 2 tablespoons)
3) Cover a plate with breadcrumbs
4) Soak the slices of Zucchini in the egg for a few moments then coat them in the breadcrumbs
5) When you have breaded all the Zucchini, put an inch or less of olive oil in a pan and put the stove on medium heat. Wait until the oil is heated.
6) Fry the Zucchini in the pan until the breading is golden brown.
7) Place the finished Zucchini on a plate with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.

Photos

Setting Up Your Cook Area:

Frying:

Ready To Eat:

I put banana pepper rings on my grilled cheese sammiches. mmmm

Grilled cheese with a thick slice of ham is probably the best god damn sandwich i have ever eaten in my life.

tm1d24_french_grilled_cheese_lg.jpg

soooo good

Grilled Cheese

I like 1 slice of Swiss cheese, and 1 slice of American cheese with buttered bread. Amazing.

Here you can see the two slices of cheese.

Note:
As you can see, it cooks unevenly if you don't pre-heat the pan.

I always do mine sequentially, even in my bigger frying pan (which is the one I didn't use in my pics). Gotta cook it in the center! I also pre-heat.

Yeah, gotta do them one at a time unless you have a cooking sheet that spans two burners.

I always cook mine at the same time, or I get that burnt butter taste (if you use butter). You just need to heat the pan before putting them in it. But on the other hand, if you cook them one at a time, you can eat one while the other is cooking, so they are both fresh off the grill when you eat them.

I'm going to try the rye bread and hot sauce suggestions some time.

Rye bread is fan-****ing-tas-****ing-tic.

Also, since we're on the subject of bread and how to use it, what do you guys use cinnamon-swirl bread for? I ****ing love it, but beyond regular old toast, I cant seem to find a decent use for it.

aslghghaaaghllaagh

Sorry, kind of drooling.

This thread makes me feel kind of cheap because I just use toastabags. Still, I'm going to make one in about fifteen minutes.

I've missed being able to surf hl2.net late at night.

aslghghaaaghllaagh

Sorry, kind of drooling.

This thread makes me feel kind of cheap because I just use toastabags. Still, I'm going to make one in about fifteen minutes.

I've missed being able to surf hl2.net late at night.

Holy shit, that's an awesome invention. I wish I had known those existed when I was still living in a dorm room, I used to make grilled cheese by toasting two pieces of bread and then putting the cheese between them and microwaving it :(

Hahaha. Toast Bags. That is so amazing. I should get some for toasting macaroni and cheese.

It still surprises me that they aren't more popular. In first year everyone in my dorm reacted in a similar fashion.

/me takes out toastabags
Everyone: OH MY JESUS GOD HALLEJULAH

Uhm Ennui...you know you are frying it not grilling it ;)

Plain and simple cheese on toast is the way for me, two bits of bread under a grill. Cook one side, turn the bread over, put some red leicester on the bread and finish grilling. Awesome :D

Of course I know that. It's still called grilled cheese :arms:

I do want to actually make it on my charcoal grill sometime.

Grilled cheese with a thick slice of ham is probably the best god damn sandwich i have ever eaten in my life.

soooo good

Yes it is a god among pan-cooked sandwiches and I believe doing this turns the sandwich classification to a "ham melt."
I do believe simply saying this phrase out loud makes me drool.

Back