Half-life 2 character may be killed off.

I don't want Barney to die. I badly want him to have Lamarr sit on his head and pretend to be a zombie to get through a load of them, Shaun of the Dead style.

We don't know what Kleiner and Eli went through. Eli for one lost his wife there.

Spoiler, thanks for spoiling Starship Troopers.

Yeah, you've no point in watching the ENTIRE FILM WHICH IS NOTHING TO DO WITH HER FOR THE MOST PART now that you know she dies. Hell, I forgot the entire film was based around her and the 3 or so minutes she has talking through the film. Sorry, mate.

Dunno, I couldn't tell from those 4 words, so I thought I'd take them and dismantle them before proving him wrong about that one thing spoiling the film itself.

But anyway, on topic;

I hope Barney doesn't die. But if he does, it better be something good, and something we can see. Actually, I dunno. I'm not sure if I'd rather see it or be told by Eli or someone that he died whilst doing [something]

People who've said Barney's going to die because he's a "useless" character, just another gun, someone who's outlived his purpose obviously aren't thinking correctly. Barney fulfills a very important role, and that's being Gordon's friend.

Barney is Gordon Freeman's last known living friend. Everyone else is something else to Gordon: Vance and Kleiner are his mentors, the resistance looks up to him, Alyx is not just a sidekick but possibly a love interest, the vortigaunts follow Freeman out of honor...everyone else Gordon interacts with on a friendly basis has some other relationship to him. Gordon and Barney are FRIENDS. Though they've really only known each other since Black Mesa, they're comrades. Barney is a familiar sight, he's like a stability in this world; as Grizzly said, he's survived so much that it seems almost impossible for him to die. Which is precisely why his death will be such an impact. Gordon is going to lose his last friend on Earth to an uncaring alien empire. Imagine what he'll feel when that happens; imagine what you'd feel?

Barney is going to die. He is going to die and he is going to lament about never buying Gordon that beer.

Sad,but i agree with Darkside.

Alyx wont die because it was said she wont be seen much in EP2 following G-man having an unconcious Alyx in stasis & talking to her (possibly Gordon too?), so I doubt that will be the character that will die in EP2.

Like other people have said, Barney because he is a long time friend of Gordon's. Even before Black Mesa (Gordon & Barney would compete to see who gets into Dr. Klieners Office first without using a key), I would probably cry if Barney died..but if its for the best then so be it.

I find it quite odd that Valve thinks this is players want, I know I don't.

It'd be pretty lame if you finished up the HL2 story without a few deaths.

He's an old man with a peg leg. He's been captured before.
Kliener is an old man with no hair. You and Alyx have been captured before.
Why does everyone seem to give most credit to Kleiner for the rebel technology? Black Mesa East was raided, not Kleiner's lab.

I can imagine Barney dying, he will still be cracking jokes even in his dying breathe. :p

Alyx biting the big one is just a no no! :x

What about G-man dying I can imagine how emotional that would be. :LOL:

I feel your pain. He's like...like...the grandfather I never had. Oh wait, granddad is right there. Oh, wait, nevermind he just kicked the bucket.

I think it will be Barney. I can't see Mossman dying, as I believe she'll have a role to play in Episode 3. Kleiner...no, absolutely not, Kleiner cannot die. Eli? Possibly, it'd have an impact on Alyx and the resistance, but I feel I've seen too little of Eli and I'm not quite ready to see him go.

I honestly can't see Alyx going either. And definately not Dog. I feel Barney has played his part. He's rallied the resistance into open war against the Combine and he helped evacuate the City.

Please don't kill Kleiner. :(
barney is THE MAN. but you're right. he was always the comedy character, which is nonessential to the story. the other characters are far too important. although...

"Kleiner...no, absolutely not, Kleiner cannot die."

DONT SAY THAT! valve are listening, man, THEY'RE LISTENING! AND THEY WANT TO SURPRISE US!

also darkside, why is barney going to die, dammit? you never said, and I want to know why.. because I want him to live. obviously.

gman is a possibility. but we would have to find out who he is first, and it would have to be something phenomenally nice, like Gordons long lost [relative] who had been lost in time for so long, raised by some godlike race, and used those powers to stop an empire to save his little baby [relative].
and then he would have to die straight after that.

alyx is again a possibility. they spent so long trying to get you to like and trust her... could be a buildup. though its funny that we all like barney more anyway :D hes just a pretty damn cool guy. that combine suit he wears must smell though..

Don't worry, theres another 250 dozen of them hanging around the ruins of black mesa

I can imagine that. I bunch of poor barneys just wandering around the ruins, shooting rocks and saying things like "I got one!" and "that'll look nice in my trophy room" and talking to each other and saying things like "hey Gordon" "catch you later and I'll buy you a beer" etc..

my vote is for lamar... yeah, definitely it will die

also darkside, why is barney going to die, dammit? you never said, and I want to know why.. because I want him to live. obviously.
I've said in a couple threads now, including this one. Barney is the likeliest candidate for death because he's Gordon's friend. And if you were going to kill someone meaningful without hindering the ability for the story to continue (such as killing a scientist character, or Gordon's love interest) then Barney is the obvious choice. Which certainly isn't to say that Barney could be "replaced," or that the scientists are plot-invincible; quite opposite on both counts. Barney's close friendship to Gordon is a role that no one else in the cast fills, nor could it be filled by any newcomer (unless that character consistently appears in every game from now until the end of the HL series). Which means that killing Barney completely throws the player for an emotional loop. Especially since he's not only Gordon's friend and a familiar face to boot, but because he's a lighthearted character. He's always making wisecracks whether in battle or downtime, and killing him would severely dampen the mood of the story.

So you have this guy who's your best friend, and aside from being a good guy to have your back in battle he's someone you can talk to and get a laugh from. And then you watch him die. It's so terrible that the very thought of it, just reading this post, is like to make people sad.

There are some other reasons too. I don't know if they'd be taken into account if Valve made the decision to off him, but I think it'd be somewhat tragically poetic if the first character to die was the very character that influenced Half-Life as it is today. For those of you who don't know, NO ONE in Half-Life was supposed to be your ally. Not the security guards, not the scientists, nobody. The change in this design was made when Valve was testing the squad AI using the player as the "squad leader" and the Barneys as the squad members, following Gordon around. This proved to be so fun that the game's direction was changed to include human allies. Without Barney the game would've been just another "shoot everyone and everything" FPS game. To kill the character that brought about the change would be...well, there's something there, you know.

It's just what I'd do if I was in charge of the story, y'know. If I was sitting around thinking, "Who do players really identify with, even if they don't quite realize it?" "Who's important to Gordon Freeman?" "Who seems like a 'safe' character?" "Whose death would cause the most impact on the emotions of all players?" Some people like the entire cast, some people don't like certain members of the cast (sometimes vehemently so). But everybody's got a best friend. Everyone can identify with that. And how many people think about their best friend dying? Hopefully very few people. It'd be a very unexpected, jarring incident that'd shake the player's foundations of the game. "I never thought I'd see him go." It's like to make people sad, angry, confused, the whole gamut. And with Valve's focus on eliciting emotional responses from the player, I'd say this'd do the job.

I hope Kleiner dies just so you'll all shut up pretending like you know exactly where the story is going.

If you wanted to shut everyone up, you would be hoping Alyx dies. Right now no one believes she'll die, but if Valve made it seem like she lives through the entire episode only to be cut down in the end, that'd be like, "gotcha!"

Also, pretending like we know where the story's going = singleplayer mythology forum. Singleplayer mythology forum.

Singleplayer mythology forum.

Yeah.

"singleplayer mythology forum!"
"do you mind? this woman is about to have an abortion!"
"SING IT WITH ME! SINGLEPLAYER!"

Die Alyx!!! Make The Endless Alyx Forums End!!

I think Judith will die. Nobody cares about her much anyway.
  1. A good many people care about her, she is at least one person I know's favourite character
  2. I really don't see what everyone has against her, she has clearly 'seen the light'
  3. That's exaclty why she shouldn't die, ever heard of character development?

She's also very important to the character of Eli. If she died, it could throw his character into one of two opposing states: either galvanize him to really strike back at the Combine now, or cause him to withdraw out of grief. The latter of course would have dire consequences for the resistance.

I'm not going to rule out that she's safe just because she was the other "death teaser" character (in EpOne and the EpTwo trailers) along with Alyx, or that she's safe because she's repented. In fact I think it'd be a blow to see her die now, especially after realizing the error of her ways and choosing Eli over everything else. And watching Eli's subsequent reactions would make for good story directions. It'd be pretty terrible for the poor guy to lose another significant other, though.

Gordon-Shephard said:
"singleplayer mythology forum!"
"do you mind? this woman is about to have an abortion!"
"SING IT WITH ME! SINGLEPLAYER!"
I love you.

If Judith died Eli would be like "WTF! First my leg and now my woman?! NOOOO!"

More like, "First my job, then my woman, then my leg, then my lab, now my second woman!"

Judith is a good character. And again, I love Michelle Forbes' amazing acting. So, keep Judith alive please.

Judith is excellent, and we haven't quite seen her enough yet.

I for one would be completely and utterly devastated by the death of Barney.

Let's just kill off one thousand resistance members to equal one important plot npc.

As I've said before it's amazing how many characters they've managed to pull out of a game that, really, had no characters.

Darkside, you've actaully convinced me that Barney should be killed off. Your so f***ing good at that.
Well, whoever it is I'm sure Valve will do it right. I hope.

they cant kill barney. if they do i will seriously cry. cry a lot i will. i really like barney, i dont know why... i even look like him, ask atomic_piggy, he knows me in real life. so please valve, we all love barney too much, dont kill him. kill shephard, make him arrive back in the final battle, and same them all, the let him die in a hail of bullets shreading though his freakishly oversized pixelated torso.

really? i think its cool... anyone else think its cool?

hah hah... yes... i sure am a bastard... we sure do speak a load of bollocks some times dont we piggy?...

I still don't think character are mature enough to die.

Surely it's a great idea to kill someone to show that those character are REALLY figthing with their lives, but I think the main characters aren't just enough developed yet.

Barney? Come on, let's first have some more time with him or maybe even a stand alone expansion (Maybe set during the lost week), then kill him. Judith? Come on, too predictable. Alyx is a quite mature character, but are they really going to kill her after a whole game spent devolping her?
Eli? Well, he has lost so much (especially if mossman dies), maybe death would be a liberation for him. Kleiner can't die. The gman neither. Freeman?
Maybe the vortigaunt, as a whole race.

In conclusion I think they should wait for episode three at least. Or, they could spend all episode 2 improving a character (maybe alyx) and then kill him\her in the very end of the game.

Back