Human Hybernation: Possibly Possible

VirusType2

Reaction score
Hibernating bears teach scientists tricks for human hibernation

"The hibernation of smaller animals such as mice and hedgehogs is well understood, but larger, human-sized animals that hibernate have never been studied before."

until now...
The black bears of Alaska spend up to seven months in hibernation every year, without eating, drinking, urinating or defecating, and when they emerge from their slumber, it is as if nothing had happened. They are in practically the same physiological condition as when they entered hibernation.

Researchers studying this remarkable feat have found that the bears are able to drop their heart rate to just 14 beats per minute and reduce their metabolism by three quarters. Their findings could lead to the development of techniques for inducing hibernation-like states in humans, paving the way for improved treatment of the critically ill and helping astronauts survive long missions in deep space.
And now for a joke: wake me up when we get to Mars.

STOP

JUST PLEASE NO MORE YOU ARE KILLING US

YES IT IS POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE NO MORE

I belive it is possible,
just you've made like 3/4 threads today all about advances in science and stuff

And you've made about 30 posts of spam today.

I was waiting for someone to finally realize that, thank you.

But Virus, you need to hold back a little, too. Four threads in a day? I barely do that in a month.

This has been one of the major obstacles preventing us from exploring other planets. Hibernation would be a major breakthrough since we won't require nearly as much food, water and oxygen.

How is this news? A decade ago, I knew that we knew this at least another decade before.

that spam thing you said I take very insultingly and....... ehh you are right

same, but isnt the other problem with space travel is gravity and muscle loss?

Oh, I would just love to hibernate. How lovely it would be to curl up in my nice warm bed with my chestnut hoard and sleep for months and months and months...not an early morning goes by when I don't dream of it.

I on the other hand would like it if there was a scientific breakthrough that rendered sleep unnecessary.

I on the other hand would like it if there was a scientific breakthrough that rendered sleep unnecessary.
It's called coffee and being a man, private twinkletoes. Sleep is weakness.

It's called coffee and being a man, private twinkletoes. Sleep is weakness.

I don't think you understand, I meant never sleeping. Staying awake from the day you're born till the day you die.

Lance Armstrong has a resting heartbeat of just 32-34 beats per minute.

He's almost there! The solutions is crazy amounts of exercise!

Lance Armstrong has a resting heartbeat of just 32-34 beats per minute.

He's almost there! The solutions is crazy amounts of exercise!
I imagine having an incredibly manly name helps too.

This will be a great way to organise and mobilise global citizens into categorised pockets.

Why would you want to be awake for your entire life on this piece of shit planet? Downtime is necessary for peace of mind.

Interesting. The main question for me would have would be if this would prolong life? I mean, if your metabolism slows down to 1/4 surely you would only age 1/4. Imagine living to 120 or so because of this.

I would probably go into hibernation just after Christmas, and wake up just as summer is kicking off. Of course, I'll have to run this by my bosses.

Why would you want to be awake for your entire life on this piece of shit planet? Downtime is necessary for peace of mind.

As far as I'm concerned sleep is a waste of time. You get plenty of "rest" when you're dead.

Imagine living to 120 or so because of this.

Yeah, however even if this did prolong life, the time spent concious (you know actually experiencing, and doing stuff) would be roughly the same overall.

of coarse that makes perfect sense,
If you don't get sleep youre entire life you would go insane...and I don't think adding 1/4 of youre life is worth wasting my winter, my favorite season

same, but isnt the other problem with space travel is gravity and muscle loss?

Muscles will naturally atrophy over time due to inactivity. However if you're in a state of hibernation the deterioration would be significantly reduced because your overall vital signs would be much much slower.

You'd go into a state of psychosis after a few days. Your brain needs the downtime of sleep to defrag & empty waste basket essentially. Plus, no dreaming ever.

You'd go into a state of psychosis after a few days. Your brain needs the downtime of sleep to defrag & empty waste basket essentially. Plus, no dreaming ever.

I know, hence why I said I wanted a technological breakthrough that would remove those problems, rendering sleeping as something optional (sleeping if you wanted to dream for example), and not something mandatory for your health.

Remus has a lot of shit to do. He wants to live forever and never need to sleep. Just what goes on over there in Romania?

As far as I'm concerned sleep is a waste of time. You get plenty of "rest" when you're dead.

Yeah, however even if this did prolong life, the time spent concious (you know actually experiencing, and doing stuff) would be roughly the same overall.

What do you have to do that is so important? You don't think there's any benefit to sleep besides rest for your body? What about mental/emotional well being? You think you could be emotionally stable if there were no breaks, no gaps in your waking consciousness? What about stress?

What do you have to do that is so important? You don't think there's any benefit to sleep besides rest for your body? What about mental/emotional well being? You think you could be emotionally stable if there were no breaks, no gaps in your waking consciousness? What about stress?

I would love more awake time, time to study for my ACCA finals, time to play video games, time to wash my car etc.

I don't know much about the connection between emotional well being and sleep, but I read an article on digg a few years ago about Polyphasic sleep. I seem to recall the gist of the article was that the subjects in the experiment were generally happier, and with more spare time were able to get more done, which reduced stress levels. The long term health effects seem to be still unknown, though.

The point of Polyphasic sleep is that a lot of our sleep is wasted, the REM is the important part of the sleep, and we only get a few hours of that per night. Polyphasic sleep patterns (allegedly) train your body to scrap the non-REM element of sleep, and skip straight to REM sleep (apparently the beneficial kind).

I don't think I could handle it though. Where would you take a nap if you were at work? (although I have been known to catch the odd 40 winks in the ladies toilet on occasion...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

I'm not sure why you guys are all misunderstanding him. He's saying if there were no need for sleep what-so-ever; not emotionally, physically, nothing. You would no longer feel tired, and thus you would never even want to sleep either. It wouldn't be enjoyable.

I'm not sure why you guys are all misunderstanding him. He's saying if there were no need for sleep what-so-ever; not emotionally, physically, nothing. You would no longer feel tired, and thus you would never even want to sleep either. It wouldn't be enjoyable.

Yes, that's what I mean.

I would love more awake time, time to study for my ACCA finals, time to play video games, time to wash my car etc.

I don't know much about the connection between emotional well being and sleep, but I read an article on digg a few years ago about Polyphasic sleep. I seem to recall the gist of the article was that the subjects in the experiment were generally happier, and with more spare time were able to get more done, which reduced stress levels. The long term health effects seem to be still unknown, though.

The point of Polyphasic sleep is that a lot of our sleep is wasted, the REM is the important part of the sleep, and we only get a few hours of that per night. Polyphasic sleep patterns (allegedly) train your body to scrap the non-REM element of sleep, and skip straight to REM sleep (apparently the beneficial kind).

I don't think I could handle it though. Where would you take a nap if you were at work? (although I have been known to catch the odd 40 winks in the ladies toilet on occasion...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

Back in the day I recall some HL2.netter switched over to Polyphasic sleep pattern. I'm not sure how long they were able to maintain it though (or whether they went mad).

Also interestingly on the subject of sleep: -

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jessa_gamble_how_to_sleep.html

kind of fascinating. I just wish I operated in the kind of climate where in I could follow that sleep pattern.

I wish I was hibernating right now. I have the worst sore throat I've ever had and it feels like its killing me.

Back