Left 4 Dead 2 Announced, Coming this November

It's real.

This is awesome. Totally the right move. It's clear that L4D is beyond fixing in some areas and a completely new game is the best way to go. I wonder if there'll be a discount for people who own the first game?

Like what Epic did with the UT2004 rebate if you already had 2003?

Additions that can't be added to the current game? Give me a break.

They could have been added into the PC version but then you'll have Microsoft and the 360 fanboys whining that they can't have them. So instead of giving them to PC owners as updates we are used to, we and the 360 owners both have to pay now.

That was fast. Nick sounds like my new favourite. Need to get to know the survivors a bit more before I can decide though.

They could have been added into the PC version but then you'll have Microsoft and the 360 fanboys whining that they can't have them. So instead of giving them to PC owners as updates we are used to, we and the 360 owners both have to pay now.

You are probably right. Still though, why not just release it as a standalone expansion pack instead? After all, that's all this will be but with a $50+ price tag.

I think it's a fifty-fifty decision. L4D2 isn't an inherently bad idea; yes, it's quick - almost too quick - but the idea has merit. It is a refreshing, immediate change - people spend forever complaining about playing the same old thing over and over again, and now that they are given something new, they're in there throwing the mud. Let's make one thing plain: you people are morons. That said, it's the direction I dislike. The idea of chainsaws and axes is just untasteful to me, and I worry that Valve will take it too far. They don't seem to understand the idea of limits lately.

Releasing an expansion pack for a reasonable price is one thing but releasing an entire new game following a game that just came out is nothing more than EA like money grubbing.
I Am not ungrateful, i am opinionated and not a fanboy like you.

That is such a ridiculous viewpoint. If I am a fanboy by your logic, then you are an idiot.

You are probably right. Still though, why not just release it as a standalone expansion pack instead? After all, that's all this will be but with a $50+ price tag.

Jump to the conclusion, quick!

Do you work for Valve? You seem to have some sort of insider knowledge as to how easy it must be to do such things. Do you really think if Valve could just copy and paste... wait, what is it again? Oh yeah, a whole new game onto an already existing game that they wouldn't do that? We've seen how long it took them to get the DLC out and that isn't even 1% of what looks to be on offer here.

There's a reason why they're releasing this seperately and are some of you to tell me that because of this move you've suddenly forgotten the stupendous amount of quality Valve put into their games? Trust them, I think they have a clue what they are doing.

‘What the guys who made that game I paid $50 and sunk over 200 manhours into playing, aren’t going to give me an entirely new game for free? **** those tightwad ****ers!!!”

/S

The only problem I see with this announcement is that its about 6 months too early and the game would be better off from a fan perspective coming out in 2010. I'm sure Valve will push out free content to the existing game, as well as ensure that some of the new content carries over to the original game.

So microsoft threw money bags at Vavle knocking them senseless? Sounds like a conspiracy!

Looks awesome. I only rented the first, so I'll probably end up buying this by the looks of things.

Trailer was awesome. I'm eager to find out who the voice actors are - the coach character (I'm presuming) sounded a little like Cutty from The Wire. :D

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. Literally started rewatching season 3 at the weekend.

THE GAME AINT IN ME NO MORE

A 1 year turn over for a AAA game is an extremely short turn over rate though, so either they were planning Left 4 Dead 2 before Left 4 Dead came out or they haven't had to do that much additional work to get all this extra stuff in the game. If that's the case then it goes against Valve's normal approach of supporting their games post release. After all, when Left 4 Dead 2 is released why continue supporting Left 4 Dead?

Not the type of behavior I've come to expect from Valve, but at the end of the day they're a company who needs to make money, especially in these harsh economic times, but they won't be fostering any consumer trust with this move.

Do you work for Valve? You seem to have some sort of insider knowledge as to how easy it must be to do such things. Do you really think if Valve could just copy and paste... wait, what is it again? Oh yeah, a whole new game onto an already existing game that they wouldn't do that? We've seen how long it took them to get the DLC out and that isn't even 1% of what looks to be on offer here.

There's a reason why they're releasing this seperately and are some of you to tell me that because of this move you've suddenly forgotten the stupendous amount of quality Valve put into their games? Trust them, I think they have a clue what they are doing.

The point is they'd have knocked it out in less than a year, a whole game in less than a 1 year development cycle? Hmm, and from what it sounds like most of the game is already completed. Hardly the sign that the work they've put in reflects the need to make a whole new game out of it.

Oh please it's not a whole new game. Just looking at it and reading the RPS preview, Valve have just improved on some of the drawbacks of L4D. I'm not saying it's not going to be spectacular but the original should have got some of these though updates. I sure hope they don't charge full price like they did with L4D, that didn't have enough content to justify the cost and Valve excuse of continued support was a lie.

‘What the guys who made that game I paid $50 and sunk over 47 manhours into playing, aren’t going to give me an entirely new game for free? **** those tightwad ****ers!!!”
Fixed for self accuracy.

I think it's a fifty-fifty decision. L4D2 isn't an inherently bad idea; yes, it's quick - almost too quick - but the idea has merit. It is a refreshing, immediate change - people spend forever complaining about playing the same old thing over and over again, and now that they are given something new, they're in there throwing the mud. Let's make one thing plain: you people are morons. That said, it's the direction I dislike. The idea of chainsaws and axes is just untasteful to me, and I worry that Valve will take it too far. They don't seem to understand the idea of limits lately.

That is such a ridiculous viewpoint. If I am a fanboy by your logic, then you are an idiot.

Jump to the conclusion, quick!

Why is that douchebags like you feel the urge to insult anybody that disagrees with your opinions? You don't think that it is a rip off? Fine with me. I couldn't care less. I know that others agree with me. I Am not trying to antagonize anybody that may have other views.
My comments are directed at Valve and not users at this forum.
You on the other hand resort to childish remarks if somebody speaks against almighty Valve, which yeah, makes you look like a fan boy.

So left 4 dead is redudant now? I guess the promised SDK wont come out either.. gay..

I agree that this is not what I expect from Valve, especially after the excellent free post-release support they gave TF2 for 1 and a half years(and counting). I hope this doesn't mean the end of support/new content for L4D, and also I hope the fact that it'll only be released a year after the first one doesn't have an effect on quality(I've always believed that Valve takes a long time to release games for a reason).

I'm open-minded about this(after all I wasn't too excited for L4D before it came out), but I'm skeptical.

Lets all hope it gets delayed half a year or something...

1 Year isn't so much for a sequel considering they have the engine, the basis for AI 2.0, most of the zombie models, as well as a bunch of other scripting they can reuse and modify.

Hmm, mixed feelings. On the one hand, this looks awesome and more gore and more melee weapons can't be a bad thing in my eyes, but on the other hand, so soon. Now, I don't feel entitled to more free DLC, it's just odd that they do this for TF2, but not for L4D.

I don't mind paying for this though, it looks fresh enough and from the trailer, it doesn't feel like a cheap map pack.

Anyone find it funny how L4D2 has already got a released date yet Episode 3 which has been in development for longer hasn't? We're gonna have 2 L4D games before Episode 3.

It'll be worth it if they got rid of all the corner camping and melee spamming.

Also you guys are to quick to jump on Valve. E3 has barely begun. I'm sure Valve will announce Episode 3 themselves and won't let EA,Microsoft do it for them. HL2 is their baby.

Why is that douchebags like you feel the urge to insult anybody that disagrees with your opinions?

Because I'm not the one making sweeping, baseless, and ignorant statements such as:

First the TF 2 changes, now this. Valve is the new EA.
Expect an item store ala Sims 3. Valve's reign is coming to an end. Yes, i cried doom.
Just wait and see.

Releasing an expansion pack for a reasonable price is one thing but releasing an entire new game following a game that just came out is nothing more than EA like money grubbing.
I Am not ungrateful, i am opinionated and not a fanboy like you.

Yes, Twwix, you're such a tool that the basis of your argument is thus: your opponents are fanboys. I mean, but of course.

I Am not trying to antagonize anybody that may have other views.

Except by calling them fanboys, of course.

My comments are directed at Valve and not users at this forum.
You on the other hand resort to childish remarks if somebody speaks against almighty Valve, which yeah, makes you look like a fan boy.

Except that I commented quite negatively on the direction of the game, rather than the idea of another, which would appear to work against the idea of me being a fanboy. So, you see, Twwix, it's not the black and white argument you seem to be classifying it as; simply, I am using reason to debunk and assault your assine statements, which yes, I find to be stupid. Releasing a sequel to the game a year later (Oh, gosh, another £40 to spend!) is money grabbing? Perhaps you have no idea how a company like Valve work, or of the idea of income and profit in order to sustain. I guess they're just EA.

It's spending £40 on a significant update a year later. The game is expected to be expanded and developed, refreshing and refined - are these standards too low for a new game to meet? Must they be that much loftier? Your expansion came in the form of frequent free updates, in case you didn't notice. But of course you didn't - it's hard to see the Steam interface with your head that far up your arse.

I watched all 8 trailers (and main trailer), all I can say is: it looks awesome. I'm looking forward to play it.

Edit: EP3 can wait, I want this game. Now!

What? Already?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was another Need for Speed, but a Valve game?

By the looks of it they should've named it Left 4 Dead: [subtitle] and it would be more accurate content wise and people wouldn't bitch as much.

I don't get it, it's been less than a year since L4D1 (I guess that's the new acronym) came out, and they're already releasing a sequel? It doesn't really make sense... they could just release some major DLC instead of an entirely new game.

Fixed for self accuracy.

47 hours (so far) is still pretty good V4M imho.

Also I recommend listening to the Rockpapershotgun podcast (do an itunes store search)where John Walker interviews Chet and they discuss the game at length and why a new game rather than give it away for free etc etc.

I'm watching the gameplay vids and I abdsolutely love the new campaing setting and features

The chances for Half Life 2 EP3 are veeeeeery low now :(, Left 4 Dead 2 can wait, I need HL2 EP3 NOWNOWNWONOW11!!!!1!!!!

Anyone agree?

as much as i would like a l4d2 i would rather have valve put there time into ep3 and finish that then go on to other stuff

more insults

Head up my arse? I don't know. You tell me, Mr. Internet tough guy. Since you are so far up Valve's ass.
You certainly seem to have the hands on experience.

Rant all you want, kiddo. This "sequel" qualifies as nothing more than a DLC for the 360 and an expansion pack for the PC users.
No, you are right. They are not like EA.
EA actually waits a few years before they release an actual sequel.

Ok, so theres L4D2, but no HL2 EP3 stuff yet? Wow Valve, just wow...

Head up my arse? I don't know. You tell me, Mr. Internet tough guy. Since you are so far up Valve's ass.
You certainly seem to have the hands on experience.

Oh, good, you didn't actually read what I said, but rather ploughed forward with what you had said prior to my post. The hallmark of intelligence.

The chances for Half Life 2 EP3 are veeeeeery low now :(, Left 4 Dead 2 can wait, I need HL2 EP3 NOWNOWNWONOW11!!!!1!!!!

Anyone agree?

Valve's announcement is tomorrow.

Two words for those who complain about releasing L4D sequel too soon:
VALVE TIME!

Back