miners in chile found alive after 17 days

I don't think they'll be able to survive 4 weeks. Seriously, food + water, etc. etc.

I don't think they'll be able to survive 4 weeks. Seriously, food + water, etc. etc.

apparently the rescueres have drilled a narrow hole which they plan to use to lower microphones, food, water. I suppose that could also serve as waste transport AND a way to talk to loved ones (psychological support will be imperative).

Once all if this is over, space agencies should try to hire these guys as consultants for planning an extended astronaut mission.

wikipedia said:
The Beaconsfield Mine collapse occurred on 25 April 2006 in Beaconsfield, Tasmania, Australia. Of the 17 people who were in the mine at the time, 14 escaped immediately following the collapse, one was killed, and the remaining two were found alive after five days, using a remote controlled device. These two miners were rescued on Tuesday 9 May, a full two weeks after being trapped nearly a kilometre below the surface.

Hopefully another two weeks won't be too long. :(

glad they have a hope of survival. I bet at some point paranoia would set in

but did anyone immediate think of Minecraft when they heard this.

Yes, God knows how the Creepers didn't get to them.

half a mile into the Earth is pretty far down in my standards, but its also 4.5 miles into the mine! Its a shame we can't just send BP in there, they're really good at creating holes in the earth even under tremendous pressures

Better hope notch doesn't patch in deteriorating torches while they're down there.

Anyway, here's hoping they stay relatively sane.

The thought of being stuck in a damp, dark tiny hole in the ground makes me cringe. I mean, what if it rains? The hole would flood, slowly drowning the miners trapped within. What if it collapses some more? What if the hole the rescuers made isn't large enough to supply enough oxygen to the miners and therefore all die by asphyxiation?

And that is why you should avoid working in deep pits in the ground. *shudders*

I've been following this story for a couple of days now. I just don't see how they are going to manage to survive that long.
This is beyond sad. I can't even imagine what kind of agony they are going through.
Physical and mental.

I've been following this story for a couple of days now. I just don't see how they are going to manage to survive that long.
This is beyond sad. I can't even imagine what kind of agony they are going through.
Physical and mental.

I'm pretty sure they'll be ok. for one they are probably all friends all ready. 2) Children in sex slave trades live underground for decades and still manage to survive malnourishment and 3) they may all ready have been used to the mines considering its their job and they are accustomed to it. I'm not saying it will be easy at all, but if anyone were to survive in a mine that long, its probably those guys who can bear it the longest

they dont know they'll face another 4 months in that hell hole. my bet is they'll be feasting on each other's rotting corpses soon after the news breaks out. but seriously they're trying to come up with the best way of telling them without them losing their minds. I know I would

there was a shelter whit some supplies inside there so that helped them to stay living

"two spoonfuls of tuna, a sip of milk and a bite of crackers" every two days

thankfully more rations will mean better morale. I dont see this ending good for the trapped miners if it lasts 4 months

"two spoonfuls of tuna, a sip of milk and a bite of crackers" every two days

thankfully more rations will mean better morale. I dont see this ending good for the trapped miners if it lasts 4 months

They're sending them food and other supplies since they have drilled several small holes near the shelter. As well as oxygen tubes to pump in fresh air to them. That is not an issue. The real issue is the heat down there. It's at least 90 degrees Fahrenheit and the majority of them have already lost 20+ pounds each.

Call me a pessimist but i just don't see this ending well. Even if they manage to endure that long, other cave ins can occur.
Especially when they start drilling down towards them.

Just think of the awesome water pressure they could get down there.

If they chip out a few stone blocks and mine some coal they could build an oven with which to cook food. Maybe rescuers could pass down some pork or something.

If they chip out a few stone blocks and mine some coal they could build an oven with which to cook food. Maybe rescuers could pass down some pork or something.

And they don't need to bother with torches, as long as they stay in the general area where the hole goes up to the surface. That's plenty of light.

It would be recommended however, that they go ahead and block the way they... oh wait, that was already done for them. At least they don't have to worry about monsters then.

The miners have been informed that because of the narrow diameter of the planned rescue tunnel, each will have to have a 35 inch waistline to escape.

I don't think there will be any issue with that, after being down there for 4 months. I mean they say they each lost like 20 pounds each. That's insane.

Children in sex slave trades live underground for decades and still manage to survive malnourishment

:LOL: nice 1

Great idea! Just like warming up your car in the garage with the garage door closed!

Provided no cave ins occur, and the rescue tunnel is finished without any setbacks I think they will be (physically) fine. I also believe, based upon what I've read, that their mental health will not be terribly damaged. I read the wikipedia page, and it sounds like the correct steps are being taken to help them suffer through this. They've divided into groups to get different jobs done. I'm optimistic and wish them the best.

I'm optimistic that they'll survive. They were in a shelter, plus they have outside communication and therefor contact with rescue workers and loved ones, fresh supplies, water, food, medical aid, etc and they're not alone. Right now they're probably about the same as WW2 Submariners. They are trapped, but people are coming for them.

Keep their morale up with messages from home, some cards and cold beers and an ipod and they'll be fine.

They have REAL HOPE, and that is the most important thing. They just need to wait.

mental stimulation and entertainment. what could be provided for them? And what games could they come up with for themselves?

Catch the rock? Sounds fun eh? I'm going to patent it.

I read that 4 or so of the miners are already depressed. That feeling of knowing you'll be rescued probably wears off when they tell you it's going to take 2/3 months. Hard to think about.

Just been reading the escape plan. 700m is a lot...christ. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11089726

mental stimulation and entertainment. what could be provided for them? And what games could they come up with for themselves?

Maybe they could lower down a deck of cards for them. I'm being completely serious here. Board games are gonna be too big. A couple of dies, maybe? Possibly pencils and paper.

Maybe they could lower down a deck of cards for them. I'm being completely serious here. Board games are gonna be too big. A couple of dies, maybe? Possibly pencils and paper.

Theres already a video of them playing cards floating around.

They should send some Nintendo DS' down for them or something.

Couldn't imagine being stuck underground for 4 months. Hope everything goes well and they all get out. Hopefully they wont get too crazy down there. D:

Now that they have microphones and contact w/ the outside world, I'm sure talking to loved ones will boost morale quite a bit.

Oh, this is interesting: NASA helps out Chilean miners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11150585

Looks like NASA is also seeing this as an opportunity to learn about the effects of long-term isolation. Good, makes sense.

I wonder what the logistics are for sending them food and water down that shaft.

Do they have like, a hose going all the way down there for water?

The real issue is the heat down there. It's at least 90 degrees Fahrenheit and the majority of them have already lost 20+ pounds each.

Well at least they aren't getting chile down there.

Back