Moving To A New City Abroad, Start A New Life

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
Okay, so Ive been thinking of getting out of the UK for good. Im not happy here anymore. The people annoy me, especially up north, the economy is a joke (£1.20 for a litre of petrol compared to prices elsewhere in the world? Come on. Increased VAT. Recession. Increased tax, the list just goes on). I dont like what the government is doing with benefits and alike.

Ive had an awesome up-bringing. Im 23, and Ive lived abroad for 9 years in Malaysia and Dubai, with atleast another year or 2 spent abroad in various countries. Ive seen atleast one country in every continent except North America. All thanks to my dad's job.

And maybe its advertising waving it's wand but for some reason, I would really love to move to somewhere like Chicago or New York. Chicago would be my first choice, I dont know why. Tokyo would be amazing too.

Ive seen too much of the world to settle back in the UK. Its hard to explain. Im not by any means trying to set myself apart from everyone in some sort of elite club, but when youve travelled as much as I have, coming back to the UK seems..dull. Im never excited to come home. Its something you can only understand once you experience it, and I really hate that expression (like when a new parent says 'until you have kids, you'll never understand', like having a kid suddenly flicks a switch inside you and youre suddenly capable of new emotions? ***k right off).

I mean, I LOVE my home, but thats my house, my bed, my room, Sky TV, the pond outside; I dont see the UK as being 'home' when I think of home. And Im always reluctant to tell anyone that asks me that Im from the UK.

Whats the point then? Well, I have no idea how hard it is to move to a new city overseas and effectively start a new life. Yes Ive done it numerous times as a kid, but when youre a kid you dont give a ***t. You see a new house, a new bed, new school, you get on with being a kid. All the finances and stuff to do are taken care of by your parents.

Finance doesnt really bother me because that is what it is, you cant change it so why worry about it (I know that my dad would help me quite a bit out of his principles, but I would never ask him for help).

I know you obviously need an entry Visa, usually some kind of work Visa (cant live in Dubai without one for example), but I dont know how hard it is to show up in a new city, get on with whatever job you get, make new friends etc etc etc.

As I write this, Ive been home for almost 2 months now after 6 months in my first ever job (which was overseas), I sat at home for a month whilst they tried to find me a place back in the UK which was fine by me, they couldnt find anything, called me about 2 weeks ago and said I could go on sabatical for 3 moths (still hired, not paid...although theyve actually paid me for both months since Ive been back..lol?) whilst I look around for something better, which I am doing. Im only chosing the sabatical because I dont want to lose my contact with them.

And everything Im seeing thats available in my newly-aquired field is up north or in London. And I dont want to move to either. I would hang myself if I ended up living in London. Ive been to London twice in my life and was scrambling to get out. Not because of it being a city or the congestion, but the attitudes and accents of the people in it.

I need to get back out of this place and start a fresh.

Any ideas? Cant really turn to my parents about it as theyre overseas (dad works, mum volunteers at a stables to keep her sane) and I hate talking to them through emails. So I can turn to them, just prefer a sit down with my dad one-on-one, father-son talk you know. Plus, he secretly loves those.

Chicago is nice...for the most part. Then again, New York can be great as well - assuming you like the people (which is hard).

What about Boston?

What makes you think he wants to come to America...

I'm thinking of moving to Aussie at some point, the UK just doesn't do it for me. Glasgow is pretty awesome though other than the weather.

here in spain I meet a british man who said he would never come back to the uk

looks like he isnt the only one,that looks sad :(

But aren't housing prices a bitch? That's always the dream killer for me :( Just knowing that you can't get a sufficient, clean well-lighted place that costs what it should . . . it's annoying. Not to mention all the people out there looking for the same stuff you are.

But still, should be nice, it would seem that if you've seen a lot of the world you probably have enough cash for the road ahead.

Also, HL2.net houseswaps sound fun.

How about Moscow? If you can find a nice spot in Japan then you'd probably like that.

Never hated living in Canada, though I'd love to go to Japan sometime.

Ever thought of living in Canada?

I actually read the OP this time and I'm givin you mad props for wanting to do this. I've always wanted to get out and travel places (only been to Costa Rica so far, which is goddamn amazing) and I'm hoping being in the Coast Guard or Air Force will help with that. But I also know that I'll probably never ever really have a home outside of America, it's just too big a draw to me.

Never been to Boston, but I've heard good things about it from a couple of other people.

Of all the places I've lived in (only four), I like Austin best. Everyone who goes there for college ends up wanting to stay (two of my cousins moved there). This might just be because most people only have Houston or Dallas as comparison points though. Also, cost of living is rather cheap anywhere in Texas. Especially groceries. I think Pittsburgh comes in second for me even though I didn't like it much when I first moved here.

I have no idea how easy it is to make friends in new places aside from people at school/work -- because I've never done it. You should just move someplace with a high concentration of hl2.netters :p.

What is this, houselife2.net?

I agree that to a lot of other places, the UK seems a bit shit.
What about France or something? Still close enough to visit, but far enough to not have the shit UK weather.

I feel the same way Dynasty; the UK is such a dull place. I've heard that British Columbia in Canada is supposed to be a great place to live, beautiful aswell. You can get a big house in a beautiful place with nearly a 100 acres for around £300,000

Move out to the US west coast. East coast is so busy, uptight, and unfriendly in my opinion. It's way more laid back and nicer out here. Plus the scenery is way prettier. I love it in Portland.

Plus, you're never going to see this from an east coast city:

http://www.pitheringabout.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hood.jpg

Plus:

East coast ocean:

http://www.holidaysinportugal.com/images2/Typical-west-coast-beach.jpg

West coast ocean:

http://www.hometownadvantage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/oregon_coast_med.jpg

East coast (and more specifically, New England) is awesome. I've not spent much time in the west coast, but everyone I know who has come from there hated it. Well, thats just cali, but thats pretty much the entire west coast. Full of pretentious superficial people they say. New York City is full of douchebags obviously, but theres tons of fantastic towns and locations besides the big cities, and Boston is just great. East coast has a lot of history and has a good diversity of people. The seasons are nice, and it never gets super hot.

Whoa, where is that?

Portland, Oregon. It's where I live.

That's Mt. Hood. If you look to the north you can see Mt St. Helens.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4207502521_efb2d42d91.jpg

Only downside is that both are volcanoes. Both are active, tho helens more so than hood.

Fun fact: Mt. Hood is one of few or perhaps the only active volcano with a ski resort on it. :)

East coast (and more specifically, New England) is awesome. I've not spent much time in the west coast, but everyone I know who has come from there hated it. Well, thats just cali, but thats pretty much the entire west coast. Full of pretentious superficial people they say. New York City is full of douchebags obviously, but theres tons of fantastic towns and locations besides the big cities, and Boston is just great. East coast has a lot of history and has a good diversity of people. The seasons are nice, and it never gets super hot.

Ya, new england is cool. Reminds me of the northwest.

I don't really consider California part of the west coast from a cultural standpoint. It's a totally different world down there. Keep hoping for an earth quake to split them off from the country.... :)

Anywhere in the North East is nice, you get very comfy summers, all 4 seasons, sports, a nice education if you want and theres plenty to do attraction wise. Plus in the Northeast here, people are a lot nicer than stuck up nobs from the West. TBH any city on the Eastcoast is awesome. I've been up and down the East coast and its great no matter where you go. From Maine to Florida

Not to mention all the west coast is good at is racking up massive debt and earth quakes.

I'm moving to DC tomorrow after living in Alabama for two decades...wish me luck. Do we have forum folk in DC? I'm not gonna have any friends :(

I'm thinking of moving to Aussie at some point, the UK just doesn't do it for me.
Same here. As soon as I heard about their skills shortage I've been thinking about it (not that I have the skills they need or anything).

The UK is an awful place.

I'm moving to DC tomorrow after living in Alabama for two decades...wish me luck. Do we have forum folk in DC? I'm not gonna have any friends :(

I've only been to DC for a few hours during cherry blossom festival and walked around the monuments/memorials, but it seemed like a nice enough place. They have a lot of free museums there which is cool. Unfortunately I went into the wrong Smithsonian when I was there, not knowing there are at least two Smithsonian museums right next to each other (the Natural History one which probably would've been awesome, and the American History one which was totally not so awesome).

I also like that all the cities around here are all within a 4-5 hour drive from each other, so if you get really antsy you can probably take a weekend trip easily. This doesn't really apply to me since I don't have a car, but I presume it would be fun for people who do.

I'm about an hr away from DC. I heard the crime has gotten worse though, hope you picked a good place.

I hope it hasn't gotten too worse. I'm a few minutes walk from the capitol building, towards union station. When I was looking at the neighborhood I saw little white girls walking around, so if they feel safe, I guess I should feel safe too.

you'rearacist.jpg

I've not spent much time in DC apart from touristy stuff. Definitely has some nice parts though, along with some parts you should definitely avoid.

i'm not racist anymore, i'm moving out of alabama!

Little white girls are my official measurement of security by the way.

I was mugged by a group of little white girls with pocket knives once.

And by little white girls I mean Mexican men.

And by mugged, I mean I dropped my wallet and they picked it up and gave it back to me.

<-----

I live about 7 miles from the white house :). I'm trying to move to Baltimore soon, though. My buddy who's a grad student at UMD Med Center has an apt in the inner harbor and needs a roommate. This is all assuming I can get a good job up there, haha.

Dynasty, all of the big cities are fun. Everybody is bitching about how nasty New Yorkers are but I've never really seen that side of them (been to NYC several times, too). Boston is a great city but the most confusing place in the world to navigate. Chicago is great, too.

But if you want big cities and scenery, go to the west coast. I suggest San Francisco!

...this is all assuming you're wanting to come to North America (which doesn't make sense cause I'd love to get out for a little while, haha).

DO NOT MOVE TO THE WEST COAST, AT LEAST NOT TO CALIFORNIA TILL WE GET A DEMOCRAT IN OFFICE AND CAN START ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THIS DEBT

also if you move into a big city at least make sure you're not in the inner city

terrible terrible terrible

Chicago is a cest pool.
Move in to Northern California or something like that.

I know how you feel Dynasty, whenever I go overseas for a holiday I always come back and realize how dull my city is.

And with things like jumping in puddles in school and bringing chocolate cake to school being banned here I just wanna get out :s

Not to mention all the west coast is good at is racking up massive debt and earth quakes.
^ I agree.

Jacksonville FL is an awesome place. Not to mention, Jacksonville is currently the fastest growing AND on the top 10 list of cleanest cities in America.

In fact, many of America's cleanest cities are in Florida

Some pictures of Jacksonville's skyline:

Jacksonville.jpg

Jacksonville%20FL.jpg

jacksonville_fl.jpg

and a map:

http://www***susa.com/city/images/citymap_jacksonville_fl.gif

Everything you love about larger cities without the BS. Boardwalks, shopping malls, clubs, and FIBER OPTIC INTERNETS!!!!

I'm planning on moving there myself someday in the next millennium, as I'm only 150 miles away.

I want to sit in this chair.
That big chair thing is the landing. I've been there.

That's sort of the, "town square". Lots of restaurants, stores, and one of many marinas.

Plus the big space in the middle is the stage where plenty of famous 'high profile' bands have played a gig or two.

I feel the same way Dynasty; the UK is such a dull place. I've heard that British Columbia in Canada is supposed to be a great place to live, beautiful aswell. You can get a big house in a beautiful place with nearly a 100 acres for around £300,000
WHATT

/Beast

Back