Osama bin Laden is dead

Ok, now I understand. But did you go around chanting in celebration?

Me personally at home? No. Had I lived in NYC near Ground Zero would I have gone out to see the joy it caused? Certainly. I'm not much for random chanting, but I do appreciate the value of events. People in other countries go far more insane over far less... like a soccer game...

Well speaking of making everything like a movie. Anyone else surprised at how small that situation room is? Jesus, it looks more like a janitor closet with everyone stuffed in there.

Well speaking of making everything like a movie. Anyone else surprised at how small that situation room is? Jesus, it looks more like a janitor closet with everyone stuffed in there.

It's not the size of the situation room that matters, it's how you jam everybody in it.

Weird, from all the aspects of Christianity I thought compassion would appeal to you the most (or disgust you the least). I for one prefer this standpoint over the MURRIKAH **** YEAH screaming mob in front of the White House last night.

we had a small screaming mob of MERIKANS in toronto at the US embassy chanting "USA USA" when the news broke

also for the record osama didnt deserve compassion. I had advocated a special forces group take him out since shortly after 9/11. I would have preferred that over a protracted war

Well, the whole situation is ludicrous because the U.S. could potentially have completely changed the shape of the War on Terror if they'd had a principled foreign policy that bothered to support the beloved democratic guerilla leader Ahmad Massoud in what became (with Pakistan's covert support) a multi-stage decade-long Afghan Civil War ending with a Taliban victory - instead of just resting on their laurels the moment the Soviets pulled out. It seems, in 20/20 hindsight, one of the greatest foreign policy derps of the last few decades. There might not have even been a War on Terror if Afghanistan was not allowed to become a staging ground for the fundamentalist terrorism industry that Pakistan so extensively enabled.

Well maybe that's just one a Specific Type of Situation Room. Or maybe it was the only one with a TV in it. It's obviously wired for lan parties as well.

just an update on points many of us were discussing:

- Osama's wife wasnt a human shield; she didnt die, she was shot in the leg while running at a US soldier
- Osama wasnt armed when he was killed. it was said he "offered up resistance" when he was shot twice - whatever that means when facing armed soldiers without a weapon

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/da...evises-details-of-osama-bin-ladens-death.html

Please, God, let it be true that he had loads of cash sewn into his clothes.

That would just disillusion so many extremists about Bin Laden and his ideals.

I dont want to overgeneralize about americans but ....

tumblr_lklp15mesn1qzq4qro1_500.jpg

how is this possible?

http://www.ysearchblog.com/2011/05/...in-laden-is-according-to-yahoo-search-trends/

I LOLd at Henry Furber.

Hooray for Twitter. I love it.

It's possible because it's been a damned decade since he made mainstream headlines and even the SEALs that killed him probably only knew him from childhood news reports.

it's been 50 plus years and anyone who doesnt know of Hitler is either still in diapers or just recently had to start wearing them (cuz they're senile)

but seriously these are teens they should know who was behind the single most important event of the last decade that's happened to the US. I'd understand if these kids were foreigners but they're american ffs

Some Brits are not that far behind...

unledri.jpg

lol I dont think that means what you think it means. they're having a laugh at the OP's expense

My friend Alex... she is a bit special sometimes...

"special" as in especially hot or "special" in an olympic sort of way?

either way I can tell you the answer if you'd just post a pic of her

I think he meant especially retarded, you creep.

The Internet: All the proof you need that anti-rape devices are a good investment.

it's been 50 plus years and anyone who doesnt know of Hitler is either still in diapers or just recently had to start wearing them (cuz they're senile)

but seriously these are teens they should know who was behind the single most important event of the last decade that's happened to the US. I'd understand if these kids were foreigners but they're american ffs

Well lets look at some of the issues in more depth.

- 2001 was 10 years ago. The people in those images look like they're mostly still in high school. That would put them in the early to mid years of elementary school, maybe 3-6 years old at the time it happened.
- The wars we are fighting stopped being about Osama Bin Laden like 3 months after 9/11
- 9/11 is refered to as "9/11" or the "attack on the World Trade Center" never "Osama Bin Laden's terrorist attack." Believe it or not, you don't hear Osama's name much despite all the 9/11 talk. In fact, excluding the recent events, I don't think I've heard it more than like 3 times on TV in the past two years.
- There are 307,000,000+ people in this country.
- I can imagine that some people aren't comfortable having schools teach their kids about the event because its still so recent. So recent that many children in that age group lost a parent in the attack or the ensuing wars.

Given all that, are you still surprised that a small group of kids don't recognize his name?

yes they're amerikans and should know who was behind the biggest attack on american soil in 50+ years

it's not like the guy's name was John Smith

- I can imagine that some people aren't comfortable having schools teach their kids about the event because its still so recent. So recent that many children in that age group lost a parent in the attack or the ensuing wars.

Given all that, are you still surprised that a small group of kids don't recognize his name?

I question educational systems and teachers that are unwilling to teach children about major events in American history. Yeah they don't lose much by not knowing, but I think it's pretty important to have some perspective on current events. The Gulf War was going on when I was roughly the age these kids were and when I was in high school I knew enough about it to say it took place in Kuwait and Iraq, Saddam was the Iraqi leader, and the gist of what it was about.

So yeah I'm still surprised... I don't think there's a good excuse out there for ignorance when the whole scenario could be covered on a text book page or in a few power point slides. I guess that's our future... because people want their little snowflakes to be coddled into the idiots of tomorrow. And people wonder why so many kids in their late teens turn to drugs and alcohol... who wouldn't want to get wasted after the sudden realization that the world isn't a sea of fluffy marshmallows.

yes they're amerikans and should know who was behind the biggest attack on american soil in 50+ years

it's not like the guy's name was John Smith

Which keyboard are you using where your K's are so close to your C's?

I question educational systems and teachers that are unwilling to teach children about major events in American history. Yeah they don't lose much by not knowing, but I think it's pretty important to have some perspective on current events. The Gulf War was going on when I was roughly the age these kids were and when I was in high school I knew enough about it to say it took place in Kuwait and Iraq, Saddam was the Iraqi leader, and the gist of what it was about.

So yeah I'm still surprised... I don't think there's a good excuse out there for ignorance when the whole scenario could be covered on a text book page or in a few power point slides. I guess that's our future... because people want their little snowflakes to be coddled into the idiots of tomorrow. And people wonder why so many kids in their late teens turn to drugs and alcohol... who wouldn't want to get wasted after the sudden realization that the world isn't a sea of fluffy marshmallows.

When I was in school I wasn't taught anything about any modern war whatsoever. War and violence isn't a huge component of what we're taught in history classes. There is just too much content for teachers to cover, so its not necessarily a bad thing that subjects of extreme violence are just skimmed over. I think its more important for American students to learn about the Revolution, civil rights, and other world civilizations before they're taught about 9/11 or the Gulf War, which are much less impactful on the world than other subjects.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the number of people who don't know who Osama is, is low. Like, real low. They don't provide any actual numbers on that site, and only give percentage increases, which means jack shit when you try to generalize the education and intelligence of an entire segment of a generation. I bet the number of people who searched for "who is osama" is probably < 0.001% of the American population.

When I was in school I wasn't taught anything about any modern war whatsoever. War and violence isn't a huge component of what we're taught in history classes. There is just too much content for teachers to cover, so its not necessarily a bad thing that subjects of extreme violence are just skimmed over. I think its more important for American students to learn about the Revolution, civil rights, and other world civilizations before they're taught about 9/11 or the Gulf War, which are much less impactful on the world than other subjects.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the number of people who don't know who Osama is, is low. Like, real low. They don't provide any actual numbers on that site, and only give percentage increases, which means jack shit when you try to generalize the education and intelligence of an entire segment of a generation. I bet the number of people who searched for "who is osama" is probably < 0.001% of the American population.

I agree with you this doesn't say much about our education system. But if you are a high school student and you don't know the guy who is the reason we are in 2 wars right now you are probably a ****ing idiot. Even more so if you can't use google to look it up before asking who Osama is.

And our schools should teach about this and I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Mortal Kombat Keyboard. It's not koincidental, it's just the way stern konducts himself.

you are kwite korrect kevin

lets all agree that you'd have to be living under a rock or comatose for 10 years not to know what 9/11 is

osama and 9/11 are not mutually exclusive of each other. you cant know one without the other

"what's 9/11?"

"some planes hit the twin towers"

"oh ok ..so did you watch the game last night?"

this, I imagine cant happen because the immediate reaction to someone hearing about airplanes hitting a skyscraper in one of the world's most populated cities would be something to the effect of: "WHA?? what the hell happened" at that point someone would respond by saying "terr'sts, iraq, Al Qaeda, Osama" ..it's just inevitable. it's far more surprising that they somehow managed successfully navigated around life for 10 years without hearing of the world's most notorious man. it boggles the mind how someone could be that detached from reality

especially cuz is the usa ,and osama was bigger than jesus at one time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13287977
Two telephone numbers and 500 euros ($745; £450) were also found stitched into Bin Laden's clothing, there in case he needed to make a quick getaway.

I brought this up in chat as well. £500 was all al-Queda could afford to give their top man in case he had to make a run for it? It's not even enough to buy a shitty car or an airplane ticket for Christ's sake.

In pakistan £500 buys you a scooter, a crop duster, 3 camels, 2 donkeys and a weeks worth of diet coke

Err, you can fly to Spain from the UK for £20-100 at the right time of year. If you call an airline and ask ''when is your cheapest flight to x-destination'', instead of ''I want to fly to x-destination on x-date'', you can reap ridiculous seat prices.

I cant help but laugh, cruel as it is, when people wonder why Bin Laden wasn't taken alive.

Yes there is the chance of what is being said is actually true, that he refused arrest and his pinky twitched and he was light up like a christmas tree. This whole operation was blatantly a shoot-on-sight, they went in there with their objective being ''find and kill that ***ker'' without making it look like an execution. Get compromised and have a fire fight so nothing can be disputed by the swarm of press later, and we rid the world of a lunatic, the world claps like seals and we look like heroes.

Think of the potential ***t storm the US would have rain upon it if they held Bin Laden for trial. Months would pass and attempts to break him out would be countless.

Think of the potential ***t storm the US would have rain upon it if they held Bin Laden for trial. Months would pass and attempts to break him out would be countless.

Just like all the countless attempts to break out other high profile terrorists we've caught? Just like all the countless attempts to break out Saddam Hussein? Any attempt to get at a high profile prisoner of war held by the US would be futile, as nobody without clearance would even get within half a mile of the facility he'd be held in.

I'm not even sure what to say about the rest of your post. Its all pretty illogical and I can't really tell what you're arguing for or against because I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Back