Osama bin Laden is dead

The corresponding vowel sound in Arabic is something of an in-between, so depending on the phonological approach both are acceptable.

Wait, is it Osama or Usama? I'll start calling my president Barack Ubama if I don't get a straight answer.

I've been noticing that fox and conservatives especially have started resorting to calling him Usama or UBL instead of their previously dominating Osama or OBL.

It's funny to see because we all know how much they care about pronouncing and spelling peoples names right, like Sotomayor.

Its also funny coming from fox news, as it makes Obama 2 whole letters different.

Kinda dumb to spell it completely differently than how we've been spelling it for ten years. Almost seems pretentious, like 'ha we're spelling it RIGHT you losers go ahead and spell it in that shitty romanization!'

Osama/Usama is just a name. This syllable and many other have been transcribed in differing manner for years and accumulated their own traditions of usage to which people subscribe knowingly or not. I once asked a Byzantine history professor about it and she said that there is no general preference, though if my memory doesn't fail me, she did note that when she enquired a learned philologist about it, she was told that the 'u' variant is, depending on pronunciation, more accurate.

Edit: 'How does Osama/Usama want his name to be spelled? In a document published by the Wall Street Journal on Oct. 3, 2001, the al-Qaida leader Romanized his name as "Usama."' (http://www.slate.com/id/2057710/).

yeah alqaeda has not made such big attacks froma long time

That and now that Osama's kicked the bucket, we're all going to be on MASSIVECODREDTERRORALERT.

So the chances of an attack happening and reaching its end result without being foiled is very, very low.

osama-bin-laden-compound-raid-05-500x375.jpg

osama-bin-laden-compound-raid-08-500x375-1.jpg

osama-bin-laden-compound-raid-07-500x375.jpg

osama-bin-laden-compound-raid-06-500x375.jpg

That and now that Osama's kicked the bucket, we're all going to be on MASSIVECODREDTERRORALERT.

No we wont, because theres no such thing as a code red terror alert anymore.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-04-20-government-terror-alerts-warnings.htm
The new warning system — called the National Terrorism Advisory System — is to be in place by next week and will replace the five-colored terror alert system that was adopted shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
It’s designed to “provide the American public with information about credible threats so that they can better protect themselves, their families, and their communities,” Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Wednesday in announcing it.
And it will alert the public to one of two warning levels:
• An elevated threat alert, the lowest warning, would be issued if a credible threat were determined, but it likely wouldn’t detail any timing or terrorist targets.
• An imminent threat alert, the highest notice, would be triggered if there were a credible, specific and impending threat or ongoing attack.

Only thing to worry about now is the Al Kida retailiating against the US for killing him.

Only thing to worry about now is the Al Kida retailiating against the US for killing him.

They're going to attack us anyway. It's not like the death of Osama is going to trigger some super ability for them to attack us even better.

Also... Al Kida? Really? lol

Is that a wind turbine, or a crashed UAV?

Unless I'm mistaken, I remember hearing it was a piece of the fancy stealth helicopter that crashed.

In any case, I dont exactly know what this will change as there will always be someone to step up and take his place.

It's a helicopter I've never seen, but I'm not really up on my secret military helicopters. The last stealth helicopter I heard about was the Comanche and it's not a troop transport and the tail rotor doesn't look like that. And although they said they destroyed it... I have no idea why there's seemingly nothing left. Plus the scorch marks on the wall is weird. It's massive to start with... and then there's a non-scorched mark right beside where the helicopter would be. Weird picture.

Looks like a tail rotor to me.

Edit: Said Bad^Hat, ignoring the post above his.

Saw something on the news about it being a rotor designed to let the chopper fly almost silently.

Interesting. Seemed to be fairly hush hush.

No we wont, because theres no such thing as a code red terror alert anymore.]

Ahhh, I said that in jest really. I'd forgotten America used a 5 coloured terror alert! Saying this, I do watch American Dad and he has a 5 colour threat level on his fridge door.

I think over here we just call it "Being on high terror alert". I dunno. I'm not sure we have very specific tiers of alert in the UK. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

62015316.jpg

My biggest worry about the killing of Osama is his burial at sea. If there is any truth in homeopathy then the whole ocean is pure evil. Apparently Osama's neighbours first suspected who may be living in the compound when their football went into his garden and he said, "If that football comes over here again I'll put a plane through it."

My biggest worry about the killing of Osama is his burial at sea. If there is any truth in homeopathy then the whole ocean is pure evil.

I LOL'd

Apparently Osama's neighbours first suspected who may be living in the compound when their football went into his garden and he said, "If that football comes over here again I'll put a plane through it."

OK, now you're trying too hard.

There's one thing that's been bugging me. Osama doesn't look like an evil maniac (I'm not denying that he was evil), he seems like he really believed in what he was doing. I in no way agree with his views but I just have to wonder how his rational worked. It's not like an idiot can be a mastermind.

Back