Post a screenshot!

Dark Souls

Currently on a run to beat the game with a level 1 character. In Anor Londo right now, about to face Ornstein & Smough.

data2013040510563528.png

data2013040510564009.png

Rage (Scorchers DLC): Lookin' sharp as long as you're a few feet away from the surfaces.

Rage (Scorchers DLC) - These mutants have a wonderful wet thwack sound when you lay into them.

Rage (Northern Sewers) - These mutants have some of the best animation I've seen. The skinning (not so much in this shot) gets sketchy when you take screenshots, but the way they skitter around when they get nicked is well done. For melee combatants against an armed player, they sure manage to keep me on my toes.

Bioshock Infinite - waiting for a Berserker to come at me.

Bioshock Infinite - Elizabeth concerned about the bloom on her bosom.

Alone in the Dark 4

Finally beat the game as Carnby (I beat Aline's campaign on PSX years ago).

87DC9ADE311DE1BDC854CDEFA36CA3C896699E79

8943093831A0A83EEA08C6AA5D31AAE943C51E88

2BE5FFD64D1426C17C0AABBE720DCBF6A93A52A6

14E3DB1E759CCF2757EEF55CAD989765AAA4EA9C

4BAB3C83AD1B035310B35746CED8558994B19317

03E6F7BD87FAEC5550300B6823EF9684537BFF68

64478E71C8597C00B6CED39EA9F656C7BAC99D98

86D8059D4A06188E68646EE18FD009C6FB89C430

ABFA6E7F725E2509142C52BD9D8EE8ECB7827539

9E4C8BE87DC184562DE340622F6F3132EC1D55C9

68919A4AEDAE97199CEDE036B0C1906B5676019F

32E9D2B0BF2A7258EA5B018536633B16824F925E

60FA935CD4A1892D33E3727829094037768558D2

77BF4327F46261BD3C277A4606B00CCCBAC11739

Kind of makes me want to play the most recent one again. A really really broken game but I love what they were trying to do.

Metro Last Light on my laptop, running Very High (Max).

Simply one of the best looking games...ever created. And arguably THE best.

Man, that looks lovely. Really liked the first game, didn't know there was a new one out

Did you use the DX11 edit?

Nope, didn't know there was one.

Those shots are at 1920x1080, Very High, SSAO off, Motion Blur Normal and Tessellation off.

The settings are weird though and need patching. I was getting 10 more FPS with Tessellation on High than I was with it on Normal. Some of the settings, SSAO as well, are weird like that.

I also got a higher FPS in DX11 mode on the benchmark than I did with the same settings in DX10 mode. Very strange.

Man, that looks lovely. Really liked the first game, didn't know there was a new one out

I don't think many people DO know.

I've just got back from town and it was at number 16 in the charts. It's also got barely anyone on Steam playing it (>15k). Actually that's not bad I guess.

Achingly pretty game though, for sure. Glitchy in places, but nowhere near as bad as Metro 2033 was. The story is pretty solid too, and superbly told. Voice acting is spot-on.

Can't believe what 4A have done on such a small budget.

The game in these screenshots actually looks better than in the trailers (where it still looks good) - I think it's probably because the trailers show many characters, and it seems like the faces and models aren't quite up to the standard of the rest graphically.

Nope, didn't know there was one.
Sorry, I was under the impression that the PC port was locked to Dx9 (initial rumors before launch suggested so). Apparently, that was false information. I just got the game last night. The graphics settings seem odd to me as well. For example, Dx10 gets 10-15 fps lower that Dx11 on the benchmark. Changing the tessellation from normal to high also gets me more frames. Although, I've turned off tessellation completely because I'm experiencing screen-tearing even with Vsync on. SSAA absolutely destroys my frames, but that's expected. I didn't even see an option for SSAO. I haven't dug through any config files yet, though.

I'll edit this post and put up some pictures after the next time I play it.

Also, what kind of freaking laptop do you have that will play the game at those settings?

Edit: SCREENIES. Also, spoilers. Settings: Quality - High. SSAA - Off. Tessellation - Off. AF - 4x. Nvidia Physx - On (for the titties, of course). Vsync - On. Motion Blur - Low.

Yx6pfTDh.jpg

j90PqxYh.jpg

jsCrUn4h.jpg

E1VDLSAh.jpg

7DyNJEwh.jpg

uU3coeQh.jpg

RNgc55nh.jpg

DaTryFuh.jpg

8S3MdBeh.jpg

(YAY NVIDIA PHYSX - Seriously though, what the **** with the springy titties)

08pDHnYh.jpg

OZzCpK8h.jpg

bRuHm5Bh.jpg

Edit 2: Ok, Imgur. Thanks a bunch for scaling all of my screenshots.

Yeah some of the video settings are tucked away as well. And it's good you're having the same issue with the FPS @DX10. Well, it's not good, but you know, it's good to hear it's not just mine that has the issue.

SSAO is there, above the tessellation option.

Also, what kind of freaking laptop do you have that will play the game at those settings?

Heh.

Not a cheap one.

It's an "OcUK Destroyer" (aka Overclockers UK slapped their name on a Clevo P170EM).

Absurd price, but hey, I enjoy (and need) the portability.

Core i7-3740QM 2.70ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600mhz.
Nvidia GTX 680m 4gb
Samsung 250gb SSD
17" screen.
Usual bells and whistles for ports etc.

The P170EM chassis is great. Cools well, and crazy easy to open up and get to the components. Just looks a bit bland.

The game in these screenshots actually looks better than in the trailers (where it still looks good) - I think it's probably because the trailers show many characters, and it seems like the faces and models aren't quite up to the standard of the rest graphically.

Yeah, I look at my own screenshots and think it looks amazing, and it still looks pretty damn gorgeous in motion, but not AS good as the screenshots.

I've been waiting for someone to say they're blatantly promo pics or something.

Haven't taken any screens yet but Last Light is pretty badass, there are plenty of improvements over the first game.
I'm playing in 1920x1200 with max everything except SSAA which is at 2x. I'm getting about 30 FPS in combat. I tried playing around with settings and when I got 60 fps it just seems unnaturally smooth, the general slow pace and movement seems to work pretty well with frames not having to be so high. The craziest part though would have to be the fight in front of the church, just too many damn lights from the NPCs dragged it down to the 20s.
SSAO is there, above the tessellation option.
SSAO isn't an option in the menu, you're thinking about SSAA (Super Sample Anti-Aliasing).

What kind of machine do you have DM?
(considering get Metro:LL when I get some $$)

i5 2500, 8gb ram, gtx 670 (factory OC to 680). It's worth mentioning that I'm NOT using the drivers that supposedly give a 10% performance increase, they're beta and I just don't give enough of a shit for that.

Interesting, yeah I don't do beta drivers much anymore either. That's a pretty damn nice machine for 30fps in combat, I only have a 670 so iunno.

Haven't taken any screens yet but Last Light is pretty badass, there are plenty of improvements over the first game.
I'm playing in 1920x1200 with max everything except SSAA which is at 2x. I'm getting about 30 FPS in combat. I tried playing around with settings and when I got 60 fps it just seems unnaturally smooth, the general slow pace and movement seems to work pretty well with frames not having to be so high. The craziest part though would have to be the fight in front of the church, just too many damn lights from the NPCs dragged it down to the 20s.

SSAO isn't an option in the menu, you're thinking about SSAA (Super Sample Anti-Aliasing).

Ah yes, SSAA. I see the SSA and instantly think SSAO.

And yeah, the scene outside the church dropped me to about 30fps. Some scenes do that when there's no action too, usually with one big blue light shining at you at the end of a corridor or something. Needs a bit more optimising or work with Nvidia and AMD to make better drivers or something.

Or we should just accept that Metro is still quite a demanding game.

I've started getting random freezes now though. No idea why. And it only seems to happen once you get passed the
area where everyone is sick.

Game keeps running, you can hear the audio etc, and you can force close it. Just updated my drivers and will verify the game cache. It also does it less if I default my clock speeds too. Weird.

Interesting, yeah I don't do beta drivers much anymore either. That's a pretty damn nice machine for 30fps in combat, I only have a 670 so iunno.
If the rest of your system is up to par with the 670, it should be quite fine to run similar to mine, SSAA is the biggest dropper of frames and it's not really necessary. What it does is render the actual game at a much higher resolution than what you're playing on and then downscale it.

SSAA is the biggest dropper of frames and it's not really necessary. What it does is render the actual game at a much higher resolution than what you're playing on and then downscale it.
Yeah, if you have a decent resolution with your monitor, you don't really need it at all. You hardly need normal AA in fact.

Yeah, if you have a decent resolution with your monitor, you don't really need it at all. You hardly need normal AA in fact.
Have to disagree a little here. While AA isn't needed much for most polygon edges, what it helps with is preventing really detailed and distant objects from appearing to 'sparkle' with every movement of the camera. Jagged edges aren't distracting on their own, but when this moving mess occurs, it's distracting. You don't notice it in a still screenshot.

It was most annoying to me in the last two Fallout titles, even at my monitor's resolution the difference between 0 and 2x AA was quite monumental. I saw virtually no difference between 4x and 8x or higher though.

Have to disagree a little here. While AA isn't needed much for most polygon edges, what it helps with is preventing really detailed and distant objects from appearing to 'sparkle' with every movement of the camera. Jagged edges aren't distracting on their own, but when this moving mess occurs, it's distracting. You don't notice it in a still screenshot.
That's why I said "hardly." I usually set it to 2x and that solves any AA problems that remain at high resolution. I notice a difference between none at all and 2x, but like DM said, anything more than that seems a waste. My brother, who plays games on a laptop, really needs it.

Personally I've never really seen the need for AA on games these days at 1920x1080. Even if I need it, 2x is enough for me. Any more than that and my fps get sacrificed too much to warrant the very, VERY minor increase in crispness.

AA is criminally over-emphasized, I never do more than an 8x passthrough. Don't even get me started on bloom, blur and post-processing.

When was the last time you posted a screenshot of a game that wasn't old/a modification of Half-Life?

To be fair, he keeps me updated on the GldSrc scene which still runs strong. His avatar is quite fitting, too.

Back