Rate the last movie you watched (DON'T POST SPOILERS Y' EEJITS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The movie was a bit too bleak for me. To the point of implausibility, and for the same reasons as V for Vendetta. It's all very well decking the UK out with fascist symbolism and dressing every RP speaking, moustachioed authority figure in black, but it doesn't fly as a logical progression of any thrust of political thought in the country. Well, the fascism itself could work quite easily, but it would have to be re-branded to actually work here, people are very afraid of that stuff (well, obviously. Otherwise they wouldn't put it in the film to shock people).

I would argue that while you're right, it's a sad fact that no one cares. Both movies are marketed towards the incredibly ignorant American population, who have no idea whatsoever about what England and the government there are actually like.

what do you mean there aren't zombies like in 28 days later?

28 Days Later features de facto zombies, but not zombies de jure.

Crank High Voltage 9.5/10 Man, I loved this. Everything was so perfectly hilariously, ridiculously, implausibly awesome. Ten pounds of bad ass in a five pound bag. Only real complaint is the random cut-aways lasted too long some of the time. If they had been shortened a little bit they would've been perfect.

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELIOOOOOOOOOS!!!

little nemo: adventures in slumberland- 9/10 oh jesus

it's great watching a movie you havent seen for years and slowly remembering it as you go along

28 Days Later features de facto zombies, but not zombies de jure.

Nah with zombies they have to have died first, they are essentially walking corpses. In 28 Days/Weeks Later, they are essentially still alive, just infected with the Rage virus.

Allowing for some confusion when applying the terms of legal latin to film criticism, that's...y'know, what I said.

I loved Children of Men, but the ending let me down. It was too cliche. I understand that he had to die for the movie to make sense/keep with the tone of the movie. But it was just too cliche in a movie where it seems everything is just so unique.

As for the charge of implausibility, Kupo: I remember thinking the same thing. But I don't think your characterisation of it is quite right. There's no explicit fascist idealogy visible in the film, indeed, little visible ideology from the government generally.
I'm going to meet you halfway, but I am wondering whether we are talking about the same film... I'm talking about the retro black buses that lead to a Bexhill that's turned into an Auschwitz for immigrants by soldiers dressed exclusively in black. And the facility has a black sign with an 'oppressive' typeface. And people are roughed off buses by the soldiers like untermensch and lined up with the implication that they're very soon to get oh so horribly shot, except they'll probably get kicked around a bit first. And possibly urinated on. Because apparently, Piers Morgan did the visual design on that bit.

Actually, the Bexhill-Auschwitz reminded me most of that awful 'Turn Left' episode of the latest season of Doctor Who. Where, because Oswald-style fascism is so very hard to convincingly portray in a British context, they had to invent their own jocular Italian immigrants to herd up to be taken away. Ultimately, in the end the defence for both is 'it's science fiction', but really it isn't...
It's simply a country in very dire straights whose government is trying to maintain control any way it can.
Well, I did miss the first 10 minutes of the movie :LOL:
edit:
Both movies are marketed towards the incredibly ignorant American population, who have no idea whatsoever about what England and the government there are actually like.
I'm not sure how much of it was originally in P.D. James' book, but it's a British novel... and so was V for Vendetta for that matter. Honestly, I think it may be a generational thing.

I never read P.D. Jame's book (and don't intend to, most accounts place it as inferior to the film), but I did read through V for Vendetta before the film. It is not an identical adaptation, but it was clearly trying to make a political point based around Thatcher-ism by taking it to an extreme.

I'm going to meet you halfway, but I am wondering whether we are talking about the same film... I'm talking about the retro black buses that lead to a Bexhill that's turned into an Auschwitz for immigrants by soldiers dressed exclusively in black. And the facility has a black sign with an 'oppressive' typeface. And people are roughed off buses by the soldiers like untermensch and lined up with the implication that they're very soon to get oh so horribly shot, except they'll probably get kicked around a bit first. And possibly urinated on. Because apparently, Piers Morgan did the visual design on that bit.
I misinterpreted your argument somewhat as referring to "thrusts of political thought" in-universe, the fictional iconography of a fictional government read by fictional citizens (rather than symbolism read by the audience). That said I'd still argue that the imagery is of a different order than in V For Vendetta - it's all in actions performed and circumstances rather than the political ideology of a clearly united ruling party. And it's more deliberately suggestive of the excesses of modern conflicts (bosnia, the war on terror) than of the holocaust. In the same way, the 'immigrant' stuff isn't actually about current issues surrounding immigration in the UK - it's about the refugee crises that disasters like global warming are expected to provoke from the poorer regions of the world, and, more generally, about the tightening of naked power and the vicious prioritisation of certain interests above others that is bound to occur when the world gets really shit.

It's still a little heavy-handed, and would probably be more obnoxious if not for the matter-of-fact, verite cinematography (not to mention the general absence of incidental music...imagine how silly that could get).

True but its ending more than made up for its faults for me. That and Zuko's arc throughout the series ends pretty much perfectly. Granted it was a little predictable, but hey, I liked it. Season 2 was great, but i felt that actually had too much filler in it. Also, i missed the epic showdown the first season had in the second season. As shallow as that sounds, it is a contributing factor as to why i think Season 1's end is better than season 2's.
Siege of the North is my favourite episode(s) from that show, but Crossroads of Destiny and Sozen's Comet are excellent too.

The more I read, the more I realize Samon either just posts random movies and random scores, or watches way too many fkn movies.

Mars Attacks! - Greatest movie ever? I like to think so.

RocknRolla - 8/10

Very good movie for a planned trilogy. Started out kinda slow but ended well. I love movies like this!

the day the earth stood still (original)- 7.8/10

good, but I thought it was a bit anticlimactic. Plus I'm pretty sure teh title refers to the part where everything was shut down for half an hour, right?

14xj8lc.jpg

Fixed.

Hercules - 6/10 - Great cast as always, and the historical inaccuracies don't get me too crazy, but it felt like it didn't live up to what it should have, and wtf a Disney movie with lousy songs? no thanks.

Hercules - 6/10 - Great cast as always, and the historical inaccuracies don't get me too crazy, but it felt like it didn't live up to what it should have, and wtf a Disney movie with lousy songs? no thanks.

It was an insanely fun movie, haven't seen it in probably 10 years though.
All I remember is I was crazy for it when I was little, got toys and dolls and the games.

I should really see it again though, even though it's supposed to be one of the crappier animated Disney movies.

Futurama: Beast of a Billion Backs - 7/10...
Meh, it was fun but I wish they'd just reboot the show already instead of making movies.

the saint- 7/10 ending went on for a while, but was pretty damn good.

It was an insanely fun movie, haven't seen it in probably 10 years though.
All I remember is I was crazy for it when I was little, got toys and dolls and the games.

I should really see it again though, even though it's supposed to be one of the crappier animated Disney movies.

I somehow had never seen it before, and it made me laugh a lot.

But yeah, as far as Disney movies go, they had 9 come out in the 90's. (Little Mermaid was 89). Then: Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, and Tarzan.

Tarzan and Hercules are definitely my least favourite. I haven't see Hunchback of Notre Dame.

James Woods is ****ing awesome as Hades though.

Tarzan and Hercules are definitely the weakest - the former is particularly bad. I can't remember that much of the Rescuers Down Under, except for Cody, Bernard, Miss Bianca and the wonderful Joanna. Oh, and crocodiles. I need to see it again. The same goes for Beauty and the Beast and Pocahontas (though I probably won't like the latter: Mel "Are you a Jew" Gibson). The Little Mermaid is wonderful, duking it out with Aladdin, The Lion King and Hunchback for the crown. I'd be tempted to hand it over to Hunchback simply on the basis of Hellfire.

I can't remember that much of the Rescuers Down Under, except for Cody, Bernard, Miss Bianca and the wonderful Joanna. Oh, and crocodiles. I need to see it again. The same goes for Beauty and the Beast and Pocahontas (though I probably won't like the latter: Mel "Are you a Jew" Gibson).

We should watch those this week. Not Pocahontas though. I saw that recently with the kids I work with. It's a pretty lousy movie overall, but it does have a great soundtrack and some cool stuff. Great villain, nice indian/pioneer juxtaposition, you know?

Anastasia - 7/10

Great movie. My only complaint would be that it extinguished the threat of Rasputin in the first five minutes, denoting him to a mere background annoyance for the remainder of the film. Actually, y'know, his whole arc just doesn't work, and the supernatural element is just so jarring. The music was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Also, John Cusack. unfunfunf.

Clear and Present Danger - 8/10

Not too much action but plenty of plot. 24 seemed to copy a lot from older movies and this one could be a prime example

I really liked the bit in The Rescuers Down Under where there was a little mouse airport with a spotting chart for birds.

Runaway Jury - 9/10. An absolutely stunning cast performs this movie beautifully. John Cusack is absolutely one of my favourite actors ever and this really shows why. Intense with great character. Amazing movie.

It also wins points for using my last name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back