Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

TwwIX

Tank
Reaction score
wonder what engine it's using, wouldn't surprise me if it was UE3

Looks good. I really liked Red Orchestra until I kept getting screwed in situations where there'd be tons of machine guns pinning everyone on your team down for the entire match.

I think I have the 1st game but since I barely play Steam anymore (thank you blizzard and minecraft creators) I probably won't touch it for a while

Too lazy to watch the vids, can someone list the features that make this game realistic?

Too lazy to watch the vids, can someone list the features that make this game realistic?

I saw a sniper video, which uses a 3D lens vs the 2D ones that so many sniper games use. there is also an adjustable sight for Snipers that WW2 rifles had and you can also aim down the iron sights that were on there as well which makes shooting up close even easier.

Also i love this scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MnCqWdgeqc

>3d scope
Not really a 'realism' feature, just a visual effect.
>adjustable scope
That's nice, so there's bullet drop I'm assuming?
>ironsights
This is becoming standard fare for a lot of games. The important question is, are there crosshairs?

Wow, looks nice. Never got around to playing the first game, but definitely interested in this now.

It looks pretty good. Its got a cover system, that actually seems realistic. Since its first person, it works well. You press a key to lock yourself to any object, and you automatically duck below it taking cover. You press W (or your forward key) to raise up over it to shoot. You can also blind fire, which, in first person actually is blind firing, since you keep your head below the cover, and all you see is whatever your hiding behind, and your arms just kinda cocked over your head shooting. So you have no idea what you're shooting at. Makes it kind of useless, but cool that its there and realistic. If you're inside a building, you're able to lock to a wall, and lean out the doorway incrementally without pressing any keys.

The sniper is cool as well. It does have a full ballistics system apparently, and you set your range in 100m increments it seems. The scope's sights actually change, which seems weird though. A cool thing is that if you have certain sniper rifles that have scopes attached to a raised mount, the regular rifle sights still work, making it easy to go from long range shooting, to close. Also all the ironsights are range-adjustable as well.

The commander can call in air recon, meaning an airplane flies over and any enemy that it can see (so no people inside roofed buildings) will show up on the commander's map as red dots, and this information is relayed to squad leaders with a delay. Commander can also call in artillery by marking a spot using his binoculars, and then calling it in with a radio, picking either mortar bombardments, or artillery guns like howitzers.

And no, no crosshairs. Same as the original Red Orchestra.

Blind fire might be annoying with friendly fire on by default...

Probably going to be one of those games that's painful to play with idiots.

I've always had an interest in the Red Orchestra series (The Eastern Front during WW2, despite being one of the most violent and horrific aspects of the war, fascinated me the most), but I couldn't get into it since it never had an official single player campaign. If Heroes of Stalingrad has Singleplayer to it, I am definitely picking it up. Many may have gotten sick of WW2 shooters, but I still am ready for more. Especially those with a grim atmosphere (instead of the upbeat, corny feel of the Medal of Honor series).

If there was a realistic game like ARMA2 set in WWII I would die from happiness. I love the WWII setting, but its bullshit that all these phony shooters ruined it and now everyone thinks the setting is dead, when really it just needs to be done justice for once.

Plus I wouldn't feel over my head when playing with vegeta and raz. They're always like "oh shit, theres a Shilka" and I'm all like "wtf is that?"

With a WWII game I'd be all like, "oh shit theres a Sd.Kfz.251/2C" and they'd be all like, "I don't know what that means!" and I'd be all like "bro its a german halftrack with mortars in it"

If there was a realistic game like ARMA2 set in WWII I would die from happiness. I love the WWII setting, but its bullshit that all these phony shooters ruined it and now everyone thinks the setting is dead, when really it just needs to be done justice for once.

I think what really ruined it was that there were just too many WW2 shooters out in the market that yelled out "Me Too", trying to follow the success of Medal of Honor Allied Assault and the first Call of Duty. I'm starting to see this happen once again with Modern Day shooters, following in the heels of COD Modern Warfare.

I've always had an interest in the Red Orchestra series (The Eastern Front during WW2, despite being one of the most violent and horrific aspects of the war, fascinated me the most), but I couldn't get into it since it never had an official single player campaign. If Heroes of Stalingrad has Singleplayer to it, I am definitely picking it up. Many may have gotten sick of WW2 shooters, but I still am ready for more. Especially those with a grim atmosphere (instead of the upbeat, corny feel of the Medal of Honor series).

You could just read about it... there are a lot of good books written by Germans and Russians. Call of Duty, CoD: UO and CoD 2 had some decent Russian campain stuff though if you're dead set on single playing it. Crossing the Volga in to Stalingrad... whichever one that was in... was pretty wild.

I saw these videos the day they were posted, really hyped for RO2, getting a new PC in December so I'll actually be able to play it when it comes out.

>ironsights
This is becoming standard fare for a lot of games. The important question is, are there crosshairs?
No, and there haven't been any in RO since 2004/5 or whenever it was first released. You kind of missed an important game.

hope more aussies play it so there will be more australian dedicated servers

I enjoyed Red Orchestra: Ostfront when it was relatively young. Shooting people through a window in Stalingrad with a Mosin Nagant felt good, man.

Never liked the tank maps though and tried to avoid them. The downside of infantry combat, on the other hand, was somewhat clunky movement and mediocre animation. Still, game was very enjoyable.

However at one point I stopped playing it, only to start the game up every few months and see it gradually worsen. I don't know whether it's a general problem or bound to my location, but fewer and fewer servers showed up on the server list (like 15-20 and among those a few with acceptable ping) and increasingly more servers had some custom maps on, the quality of them often leaving much to be desired. Moreover almost every time I connected to a server I had to spend a few minutes downloading some custom textures, sounds etc.

So it seems the game's become a bit of a mess.

Hopefully the RO:HoS will fill in the gap after what RO: OF once was.

I enjoyed Red Orchestra: Ostfront when it was relatively young. Shooting people through a window in Stalingrad with a Mosin Nagant felt good, man.

Never liked the tank maps though and tried to avoid them. The downside of infantry combat, on the other hand, was somewhat clunky movement and mediocre animation. Still, game was very enjoyable.

However at one point I stopped playing it, only to start the game up every few months and see it gradually worsen. I don't know whether it's a general problem or bound to my location, but fewer and fewer servers showed up on the server list (like 15-20 and among those a few with acceptable ping) and increasingly more servers had some custom maps on, the quality of them often leaving much to be desired. Moreover almost every time I connected to a server I had to spend a few minutes downloading some custom textures, sounds etc.
The tank maps split the community the same way Natural Selection's combat mode did. It's lame and you can't tell which maps are which from their name so I just stick to Danzig.

Really happy with the way this is shaping up. I've basically been playing Red Orchestra on and off since the early UT2003 versions, but Osftront does feel pretty badly dated these days. Enjoyed the hell out of it when it first came out though. ArmA can't be touched in terms of scale, but I much preferred RO's execution on a lot of the core stuff. Some of the more archaic elements of the BIS engine just completely put me off at times.

Heroes of Stalingrad is basically the sole descendant of the ol' Infiltration mod for UT99 at this point. In terms of realistic infantry features you've got:

- Free-aim system for both hip-shooting and iron sights, no crosshairs.
- Ballistics system - bullet drop etc.
- Full bullet penetration system, taking into account material, thickness, the type of round and angle of impact
- First person weapon collision system ala Infiltration
- First person cover system with actual "blind" blind-firing
- Ability to rest or brace your weapon dynamically on or against any object
- Proper bipod MGs which you actually pivot around while deployed, plus shit like overheating and barrel changes etc.
- Adjustable sights and scopes, and the ability to switch between them
- No magic bullet counter, you're just told whether the magazine you're loading is heavy (full or near full), light or very light.
- Actual weapon recoil - a rarity these days

Plus a bunch of other stuff I'm probably forgetting. I'm guessing tank combat's coming back, but yeah - like most I wasn't a fan of the big tank only maps. Combined arms maps with a tank or two for each side were usually good though.

Anyway, I'm pretty ****ing hyped. Beta's starting later this year apparently so the full release is probably early next year.

I'm thoroughly psyched for this game since I've been playing RO since its early UT2003 days.
It has certainly come a long way.

I'm also psyched for the fact they've already announced they will be doing a Pacific War expansion to HoS, I just hope they properly model the Japanese force, which include giving Japanese soldiers, some of them anyway, swords.

Wow, that would be fantastic.
The Pacific Theater is nearly untouched with FPSes.

Well at least tanks might be fun in SP since the AI sounds immensely better this time around.

Looks good, but I don't know about this AI tank action. If it's really bad, you're back where you were before pretty much, but what's worse - if it's good, you basically don't need humans in your tank ever again and to have them join you means having less infantry on the field nad automatically puting your team at a disadvantage. I do like upping the simulation factor though, just disapponted they're going with the 76 instead of the 85...

Awesome. Really surprised they went through all the effort of modeling and animating the tank interiors and crew. People have begging for that stuff for years now but I figured it'd be too much work to actually bother implementing.
Looks good, but I don't know about this AI tank action. If it's really bad, you're back where you were before pretty much, but what's worse - if it's good, you basically don't need humans in your tank ever again and to have them join you means having less infantry on the field nad automatically puting your team at a disadvantage. I do like upping the simulation factor though, just disapponted they're going with the 76 instead of the 85...

Agreed on the AI crew stuff. If they're at all competent then surely we're just going to end up with one-man crews all the time if it means your team can have an extra 10 infantrymen on the ground. They're right to go with the T34-76 though. The 85 wasn't around until late in the war.

I didn't know this was set at a specific point in the war... I thought it was just general Eastern Front shennanigans.

The trailer said 1942.

What trailer? I only saw the videos of a guy showing gameplay...

Also, "Heroes of Stalingrad" could just mean people who were heroes in Stalingrad are fighting, not that it's taking place in Stalingrad. I guess the gameplay videos kind of look like a bombed out Stalingrad... except most of the Russian rebound on that took place in the Winter - like all good Russian rebounds - and I don't remember any snow...

edit: oh I found it...

Back