Relic designer dies in car accident saving his family

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
Tragic. He was obviously a good man.

Wow... that's like... movie sad. It's almost too hard to imagine as reality that someone would say "take the wheel while I take off my sweater" And then three people die in the process. Stupid ****ing drivers.

Truly tragic event though... he obviously a talented designer and a devoted husband and father.

This is really sad, fucking idiot drivers.

According to the police report, the driver of the SUV was attempting to remove her sweater, and handed over control of the vehicle’s steering wheel to the passenger.

Nothing pisses me off more than idiots like this who get people killed. Apparently they were all addicts and everyone in that car had run-ins with the police before.

Stupid slut, yeah change clothes while driving, brilliant.

The guy's an obvious hero. And this tragic example just solidifies the point that even fools that change their clothes while driving can also obtain licenses. I can understand talking on the cell phone while driving, even though some people believe even that's dangerous, but this is just plain idiotic, and people died because of it.

The guy will be the guardian angel of his beloved family. Rest in peace.

He went out like a hero. You can only hope your own death has meaning like that. Protecting the ones you love.

I hope that douchbag lives his whole entire life in regret and the baby grows up knowing his father loved him so much he died for him. Really sad story, hope some good can come out of this story

Really sad news :( Heart goes out to his friends and family. RIP

Who the hell tries to get undressed whilst driving!?

What a terrible shame and a sad loss for the game development community.

Damn, that's beyond horrible all because of a complete retard too.

When this posted on kotaku immediately after this article someone posted a article titles:
"Let talk about damaged cars in GT5."

needless to say they pulled that article and didn't repost till the morning after.

R.I.P He'll be missed dearly I bet by co-workers and family.

I.. I just don't have the words. How can you be so stupid to hand over the wheel to the near-by passenger?.. While changing clothes?!

RIP Brian. This is just terrible.

It's always sad when the hero dies & the idiot lives.

R.I.P

It's especially tragic because of what the other vehicles driver was doing which caused the accident, I mean it's an accident that could easily been avoided had the other driver had some common sense.

I'd hope her and her co-passenger gets tried for manslaughter.

Yeah, the other driver obviously made a mistake but imagine what they're going through. They have to live with killing another man for the rest of their lives - that's punishment enough IMO. I've taken my jacket off while driving dozens of times, and I'm sure many of you have done stupid shit while driving that you probably shouldn't have. It's easy to say "That guy's a ****ing idiot" when you're removed from the situation. It could have been any of you.

Also you guys probably wouldn't have given a shit about this story if it wasn't a game developer who died, your outrage is so ****ing phony

oh please they were on drugs aswell at the time, i have no sympathy for them

That is really sad and horrible.

Not to be a giant douche or asshole (my next comment will definitly make me look like one) but isnt him swaying to the right an instant reaction you do when avoiding a car? How can they know he did it so he could take the hit and save his family, rather than just trying to get him and his family out of the way? Im not sure the brain can calculate "oh shit, which way should i sway to save my family? if i go to the right, they will live but i will die, its the only option". The more likely way it went was "OH SHIT" *TURN* *CRASH*, an instant reaction.

****, i hate how i need to be all rational and critical about everything, even death ffs. Im such a douche.

Yeah, the other driver obviously made a mistake but imagine what they're going through. They have to live with killing another man for the rest of their lives - that's punishment enough IMO. I've taken my jacket off while driving dozens of times, and I'm sure many of you have done stupid shit while driving that you probably shouldn't have. It's easy to say "That guy's a ****ing idiot" when you're removed from the situation. It could have been any of you.

Also you guys probably wouldn't have given a shit about this story if it wasn't a game developer who died, your outrage is so ****ing phony

You're an idiot.

I couldn't give less a **** that the guy was a game developer. Sure I have done stupid shit in cars. But that doesn't change the fact that they coused another persons death plus the passengers in her own car. And they could have killed a pregnant woman, if things had gotten worse.

Not to be a giant douche or asshole (my next comment will definitly make me look like one) but isnt him swaying to the right an instant reaction you do when avoiding a car? How can they know he did it so he could take the hit and save his family, rather than just trying to get him and his family out of the way? Im not sure the brain can calculate "oh shit, which way should i sway to save my family? if i go to the right, they will live but i will die, its the only option". The more likely way it went was "OH SHIT" *TURN* *CRASH*, an instant reaction.

****, i hate how i need to be all rational and critical about everything, even death ffs. Im such a douche.

That's the way I pretty much think it happend. He still saved the life of his wife and unborn child though. Don't belittle that.

Sucks someone died...

but why is he a "Hero" for using a reaction that just HAPPENED to turn the car that direction? I'm quite sure it wasn't any thought process or "I'll take the hit for her!"

Oh well, people will believe what they want.

You'd be suprised how you can react. One new year's eve some idiots didn't place their fireworks proparly, so they flew around and blew up on the ground. Nothing happend to me but I did shield two children, it just came natural. My sister almost got run over once too. I picked her up pretty much last second. Those where all reaction that just HAPPENED, if not save their life, at least protect them from serious injury.

You're a douche with a slow brain.

Sucks someone died...

but why is he a "Hero" for using a reaction that just HAPPENED to turn the car that direction? I'm quite sure it wasn't any thought process or "I'll take the hit for her!"

Oh well, people will believe what they want.

Why does this matter, at all, except to sound like pompous spergy assholes? The guy died and saved his family with his reaction, that's heroic enough, who gives a ****ing shit about anything else? Seriously, it is amazing to me how many of you want to be complete and utter dickfaces just to sound SO SMART. News flash, you don't sound smart, you sound like a ****ing asshole.

I'm not even talking about honoring this guy's death or some shit, I didn't know him. If I had, I wouldn't litter this thread with brash insults. But it is incredibly infuriating to see people's pathetic obsession with pointing out anything they can just to try to stick out in a crowd. Get a ****ing life, jesus ****ing christ.

This is just beyond ****ing retarded. Eat shit, you cocksucking troll.

Anyway, what a rad dude, great job saving his family. Really sad that this sort of thing happens, I hope the driver is held accountable.

Anyway, what a rad dude, great job saving his family. Really sad that this sort of thing happens, I hope the driver is held accountable.

Yeah ok, if the dude wasn't a game developer there never would have been a thread about it

The thought that it was just a reaction and not an intentionally heroic move crossed my mind as well. I didn't mention it though because its impossible to know. People do sometimes have natural instincts to save others. Without knowing what the situation was, you can't really say whether it was him just trying to avoid the accident through the natural swerve out of the way reaction, or if in the back of his mind he was trying to ensure his wife would be safe in an inevitable collision.

@ Mogi, you're right. But since he was a game developer, one who we have a clear line of connection to, we do care. We used a fantastic product that he was a major contributor to, and thus it makes sense why we'd have a measure of emotion to the news. Just like I'd be sad if I learned that my Postman had died.

But even if he wasn't someone we were even remotely connected to, a measure of compassion for someone like this makes sense. Just hearing the story is enough for some measure of compassion.

Yeah ok, if the dude wasn't a game developer there never would have been a thread about it

So people can only care about things if it's a game developer? If someone posted "My uncle died saving his family from a stupid ****er taking their sweater off their sweater while driving," my post would have been exactly the same minus the comment on his ability as a game designer.

Congratulations on coming in a thread about a tragedy and trying to troll though. I bet it was fun making everyone hate you.

Edit: Also, as for it being a reaction - natural human reaction is self preservation - thus he would have turned the car away from himself. To "react" to save others is a decision for a person to make, even if it's a near instant decision, it was a decision that he made in his life. That he would rather put himself in danger than his wife and unborn child. That makes him a hero in my book. Self sacrifice is heroic in most situations.

No, it wouldn't have gotten the same attention if he wasn't a game developer.
But saying that nobody wouldn't give a shit is beyond idiotic. A family member could have posted it on this board and it still would have received the same reaction from us. It was a woman, not a man. Have you even read the ****ing article?

Also, jackets don't go over head when you remove them. Unless you're a moron. You shouldn't be removing any clothing while driving, or eating nor yapping away on your ****ing cellphone. Judging from your comments though, i wouldn't be surprised if you regularly do these things while behind the wheel.

I can honestly say I've never taken off any article of clothing while driving, have never asked anyone to hold the wheel for me while I did something, used a cellphone, nor even browsed my mp3 player. The only time I would ever so any of that is if I'm at a stop and know I have enough time to complete the task before driving again. The fact that you, Mogi, also do stupid shit while driving doesn't mean most people are like you and this lady, nor does it excuse any of the consequences resulting from your stupidity.

Why does this matter, at all, except to sound like pompous spergy assholes? The guy died and saved his family with his reaction, that's heroic enough, who gives a ****ing shit about anything else? Seriously, it is amazing to me how many of you want to be complete and utter dickfaces just to sound SO SMART. News flash, you don't sound smart, you sound like a ****ing asshole.

I'm not even talking about honoring this guy's death or some shit, I didn't know him. If I had, I wouldn't litter this thread with brash insults. But it is incredibly infuriating to see people's pathetic obsession with pointing out anything they can just to try to stick out in a crowd. Get a ****ing life, jesus ****ing christ.

Because I hate seeing people on some stupid high pedestal for no reason at all. Be sad he's dead, but leave the fairy tail hero crap out of it.

that's punishment enough IMO.

Your opinion is ****ing stupid. Especially given as mentioned above, they were driving under the influence of drugs.

There's no ****ing excuse whatsoever for getting in a car if you are drugged or intoxicated.

You'd be suprised how you can react. One new year's eve some idiots didn't place their fireworks proparly, so they flew around and blew up on the ground. Nothing happend to me but I did shield two children, it just came natural. My sister almost got run over once too. I picked her up pretty much last second. Those where all reaction that just HAPPENED, if not save their life, at least protect them from serious injury.
Yep, it's all instinct. I was driving along a rural road with my family when I was younger, mum driving and me in the front seat (eldest, whatup). The truck in front of us kicked up a rock and sent it into our windscreen, shattering it but leaving it intact (if that makes sense). Mum instantly leaned over and put her arm across me. I was seriously frightened by how quickly she reacted.

Because I hate seeing people on some stupid high pedestal for no reason at all. Be sad he's dead, but leave the fairy tail hero crap out of it.
Sorry, they're on a pedestal? Haha, okay man.

That's not the Paul I know :(

GIMME BACK MY PAUL

Friends of Brian Wood, the Company of Heroes developer who lost his life in a tragic car accident on Friday, have established a trust fund to aid his wife and their unborn child during this trying time. Every dollar counts.

[Via Kotaku]

Back