Surprise! Portal 2 Coming to Playstation 3

Someone explain to me how portal 2 coming to Ps3 is any sort of a surprise?
If you know you're Valve you'll know that Valve have never made a PS3 game. The PS3 port of the Orange Box were done by EA and turned out badly. Neither L4D game has had a PS3 version. Gabe has repeatedly said in the past that he hates the PS3.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173540
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156403
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12568/Gabe-Newell-PlayStation-3-Is-a-Total-Disaster/

So yes, it is a surprise. Also a surprise is the Steamworks features coming to the PS3. No it's not the second coming of Christ or HL3 on Source 2 but that is not what the word surprise means.

If you know you're Valve you'll know that Valve have never made a PS3 game. The PS3 port of the Orange Box were done by EA and turned out badly. Neither L4D game has had a PS3 version. Gabe has repeatedly said in the past that he hates the PS3.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173540
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156403
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12568/Gabe-Newell-PlayStation-3-Is-a-Total-Disaster/

So yes, it is a surprise. Also a surprise is the Steamworks features coming to the PS3. No it's not the second coming of Christ or HL3 on Source 2 but that is not what the word surprise means.

A surprise is meant to be surprising. It was fairly obvious Valve would make a game for the PS3 one day (Even though they expressed how much they hated the PS3, it was obvious they would) so therefore this "surprise" wasn't surprising.

I am not even interested in portal 2 anyway, i haven't even completed portal 1. I was kind of hoping for a new IP game from valve at this years E3 along side portal 2, such as the rumored rpg game they are making. Hell, portal 2 is coming out next year, we won't even have a new valve game this year. Bitterly disappointed.

Perhaps you shouldn't get your hopes up when you're directly told that the surprise is for Portal 2?

Perhaps you shouldn't get your hopes up when you're directly told that the surprise is for Portal 2?

I knew the surprise was about portal 2, i didn't say i thought otherwise.

What i am saying is the surprise wasn't even surprising.

I dunno, I didn't suspect it up until rumors about it started leaking. I know my PS3 friends were pleasantly surprised.

hey guys, i was totally expecting something hl related.

but hey, this looks mildly entertaining with the goo and the crazy floaty cylinders and the wall like ripping itself apart.

*hiiiisssssss*
Lombardi.... gatekeeper... fiend... your silver tongue fools me not, YOU ARE A DEMON FROM THE NETHERWORLD.

after all the hype and put downs over the last week, i gave up any sort of hope it was going to be anything too surprising a while back, and even then it was only the faintest slimmer of hope that was basically just riding out the hype wave generated from this forum. in the end, the footage of portal 2 has had my jaw on the table because i wasn't expecting anything to fleshed out and detailed so soon. consider me surprised in that manner.

Stupid bastards still make games exclusive to consoles.

Valve should've made an epic game like Portal 2 exclusive to PC. Now there is only Blizzard left who develops epic games exclusive to PC.

That being said, this is gay. This is a pretty weak surprise, and honestly I'm more surprised Valve made this a "surprise".

This is a pretty shitty surprise. I was actually thinking the other day "What could be the most disappointing surprise Valve could possibly come up with?" and I came to the conclusion that it would have something to do with the Mac version of Portal 2, Steam, or some such thing. This is actually way more disappointing than that.

Once they denied it had anything to do with Half-Life, I was at least hopeful that it would be some sort of new game mode or feature for Portal 2. So yeah, it's a let down, no matter how many people are say "valve only hyped up the surprise for two weeks, its your guys fault for thinking it would be something you actually cared about lol fanboys!!1!1"

****ing LOL @ everybody's reaction, this is the best surprise (short of Episode Three, obviously) VALVe could have given. I remember being all gloomy & unhappy that I'd have to get Portal 2 on 360.

Trailer looks AMAZING too, I cannot wait for Portal 2.

FUUUUUUUUUK!! VALVE WHAT THE SHIT HAS GOTTEN INTO YOU GUYS? WHY!!?????

I fail to believe that valve got us all hyped up just for this shit! how is this a 'surprise'?

You seem pretty surprised to me, bro.

lol @ dorks bitching, PS3's got a game.

Guess I'm purchasing Portal 2 for PS3 :O

seriously the game looks BAD ASS! that's for sure.

Yes I am disappointed; Valve hasn't released any news regarding the PC platform (E3, CS2, TF3) in years ?

Good move, bad move from Valve!

OK xdrive then stop posting in this thread. As you said earlier...you didn't even complete Portal 1 which was a masterful game which concluded so perfectly, yet you couldn't even reach that point. Valve's products are of sublime quality yet you turned your nose at it. Of course you're not going to care about Portal 2....you didn't even bother to experience the first one fully.

The surprise was hyped up by the fact everyone thought it was another Valve title. The original email stating there was a Portal 2 surprise wasn't worded for a super massive global surprise...it was hyped to that by those shitty photoshopped images that everyone decided to believe.

I was certain the surprise would just be a trailer for Portal 2...I didn't see this PS3 version at all (despite the Russian PS3 devs from Naughty Dog they employed a few months back :p).

So quit your moaning about Portal 2 when it couldn't look less boring if it tried when you are really sore about not seeing Episode 3. You were told by us it wasn't episode 3, you were told by Gabe it wasn't and it wasn't. Need I remind you Pi's policy with regard to this?

I for one am boycotting all valve titles for this.

Hey guys!

SURPRISE!

:D

The collective butthurtness of the whiners is music to my ears.

xdrive is a butthurt
xdrive is a butthurt
xdrive is a butthurt
xdrive is a butthurt

I am sure alot of people are butthurt that valves hyped up surprise wasn't infact a surprise.

I was certain the surprise would just be a trailer for Portal 2...I didn't see this PS3 version at all (despite the Russian PS3 devs from Naughty Dog they employed a few months back ).

Really? I knew Valve would go back to the PS3 so this comes as no surprise to me.

So quit your moaning about Portal 2 when it couldn't look less boring if it tried when you are really sore about not seeing Episode 3. You were told by us it wasn't episode 3, you were told by Gabe it wasn't and it wasn't. Need I remind you Pi's policy with regard to this?

I am not sore about not seeing Episode 3.

I wasn't told by you all that it wasn't episode 3, i was told by the e-mail that was sent out by valve.

If you read my other posts you will see that i never once said that i thought the surprise was episode 3, infact i have argued with other morons who have claimed the surprise was episode 3.

I knew very well the surprise was going to be about portal 2, but the surprise that was given wasn't actually a surprise.

What was the surprise again? I didn't see any. Portal 2 comming to the PS3, okay, so what? Nothing to do with HL3. I'm still waiting for the HL3 related surprise.

I'm still waiting for the HL3 related surprise.
Sorry to hear you've been reading news sites which feed you rubbish and incorrect news and set you up for a fall. Like we always said on Halflife2.net...it is and always was a Portal 2 related surprise.

If this wasn't clear to you, despite the several times it was clarified then you should be upset for only one reason. Your inability to read & comprehend.

Haha, thats the fanciest title I think I've ever seen on here :LOL:

Well god damned deserved. This menace is starting to make me butthurt.

What a lame surprise. Valve should take a page out of Blizzards notes.

<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUXoekeDIW8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUXoekeDIW8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object>

Best surprise/reaction ever, oh well. Was fun last week anyway.

I am sure alot of people are butthurt that valves hyped up surprise wasn't infact a surprise.
Valve didn't hype it at all. Basically all they said was "The original conference has been cancelled and there will be a surprise." They didn't say it was a big surprise or something really important. All they said was it was a surprise. You might not have been surprised but I certainly was.

Also, it's not just that it's coming to the PS3 that's the surprise, it's also the steamworks stuff. I find it hard to believe that anyone was expecting community feature, online save game storage and free auto-updates for the PS3 version. If you were you're probably psychic (a psychic idiot, but still psychic).

Back