Teen plotted car-bombing in Oregon

MJ12

The Freeman
Reaction score
PORTLAND, Ore.-Federal agents in a sting operation arrested a Somali-born teenager just as he tried blowing up a van he believed was loaded with explosives at a crowded Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland, authorities said.
The bomb was an elaborate fake supplied by the agents and the public was never in danger, authorities said.
Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was arrested at 5:40 p.m. Friday just after he dialed a cell phone that he thought would set off the blast but instead brought federal agents and police swooping down on him.
Yelling "Allahu Akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" — Mohamud tried to kick agents and police after he was taken into custody, according to prosecutors.
"The threat was very real," said Arthur Balizan, special agent in charge of the FBI in Oregon. "Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale,"

The FBI affidavit that outlined the investigation alleges that Mohamud planned the attack for months, at one point mailing bomb components to FBI operatives, whom he believed were assembling the device.
According to the official, Mohamud hatched the plan on his own and without any instruction from a foreign terrorist organization, and he planned the details, including where to park the van for the maximum number of casualties.
The affidavit said Mohamud was warned several times about the seriousness of his plan, that women and children could be killed, and that he could back out, but he told agents: "Since I was 15 I thought about all this;" and "It's gonna be a fireworks show ... a spectacular show."

The alleged plot in Portland follows a string of terrorist attack planning by U.S. citizens or residents.
In the Times Square plot, Faisal Shahzad allegedly tried to set off a car bomb at a bustling street corner. U.S. authorities had no intelligence about Shahzad's plot until the smoking car turned up in Manhattan.
Late last month, Farooque Ahmed, 34, of Virginia was arrested and accused of casing Washington-area subway stations in what he thought was an al-Qaida plot to bomb and kill commuters. Similar to the Portland sting, the bombing plot was a ruse conducted over the past six months by federal officials.
A year ago in another federal sting, 19-year-old Jordanian Hosam Smadi was arrested on charges he intended to bomb a downtown Dallas skyscraper. Federal officials said he placed what he believed was a car bomb outside the building but was instead a decoy device given him by an undercover FBI agent.

****in' scary

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101127/ap_on_re_us/us_portland_car_bomb_plot

I'm surprised Terrorists don't hit up any Walmart or Best Buy on Black Friday, that would scare people into not shopping and also kill a lot of people.....just saying though. i fear one day it'll probably come true

I've always thought about that. You wouldn't even need a bomb. Some random crazy person(or group of people) can walk in some mall one day and just start picking people off.

Scary thought because of how easy it could happen.

Domestic terrorists like this are dangerous.

I imagine everyone inside the US called Mohammed is on some kind of watch-list, well done to the feds for catching this guy.

Thread title should be "Muslim teen plotted..." to more efficiently propagate fear of Arabs.

I like how the feds felt it was necessary to supply him with a fake and actually let him go through with it, rather than arresting him sooner, as if they wanted to embarrass him with this glorious troll. They would get plus points if a flag with "BOOM!" on it came out of the bomb on the moment of detonation.

I like how the feds felt it was necessary to supply him with a fake and actually let him go through with it, rather than arresting him sooner, as if they wanted to embarrass him with this glorious troll. They would get plus points if a flag with "BOOM!" on it came out of the bomb on the moment of detonation.
Lol. No, I'm pretty sure they do that to seal his fate completely. It just means he is never getting out of jail.

You have to actually get them to do it, or else they haven't committed the crime. They have to show that, given the chance, he would have gone through with it.

lrn2federallaw

Until I read the quotes above, I was like "What the hell in Oregon is even worth blowing up?".

23282125730424111416328.jpg

Meanwhile, back in the real world (where people take their medication), that sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

Everyone who disagrees is on medication? That's awfully convincing.

Back