the Thing develops prequel-itis

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Latino Review talked to director Marc Abraham, who's working on the new movie. Responding to a question about whether the movie was, as rumored, a remake, Abraham said,

This is more of a prequel than a sequel, there is your exclusive. Its going to be taking place in the same time frame... These are the events leading up to the 1982 film.

why? without john carpenter, without kurt russel, it's just another monster movie ..leave the movie alone it doesnt need a prequel

http://io9.com/5049406/the-thing-returns-for-the-first-time

I don't get it. We already know what happened to them all.

I'm not entirely against the idea, but only if it goes into production fully aware of everybody's ultimate fate. Everybody needs to bite it up to the very last Norwegian chasing the dog. No heroics. No protagonist who secretly makes it out of the whole mess alive or some such stupid bullshit. And no Kurt Russel wannabe surrogate.

I thought Ron Moore was writing this?

I think you're on to something here ..I wonder if we could do a 6 degrees of separation with Michael Bay ..link every bad movie ever made to him ...dont think it would be too hard

The Thing, right? Wouldn't the prequel be a spaceship crashing into the ice? Or maybe the construction of the outpost? I'm under the impression that what we've seen was the first contact with it.

I think you're on to something here ..I wonder if we could do a 6 degrees of separation with Michael Bay ..link every bad movie ever made to him ...dont think it would be too hard

Shity movies -> Movies directed by Michael Bay -> Michael Bay

didn't even need all six.

So your saying if they co-direct something, they will make a decent movie?

Genius!

They'd just make a shitty movie with too much special effects.

The Thing, right? Wouldn't the prequel be a spaceship crashing into the ice? Or maybe the construction of the outpost? I'm under the impression that what we've seen was the first contact with it.
No, if you'll recall, the Carpenter movie starts with a couple of Norwegians in helicopter chasing a dog (the Thing) towards the American outpost.
The helicopter guys die, then Russell and co. later visit the Norwegian research station where everyone has been slaughtered.
So yeah, it's a bit pointless since we already know how it ends. I also second the thought that I hope there's no bullshit about secret protagonists who escape... If that happens my anus will scrunch up in fury.

No, if you'll recall, the Carpenter movie starts with a couple of Norwegians in helicopter chasing a dog (the Thing) towards the American outpost.

but it starts in space, with chewie and leia and the ewoks

but no seriously, I seem to remember the first scene was that of an alien ship? I havent seen it in awhile

...if so they'll start at that point: the thing takes over an alien race of humanoids with strange bumps on their foreheads wearing skin tight space jumpsuits letting the audience know that even though Space Lieutenant Foxy McBabesworth is an alien she's still all female ..and there will be guns and maybe even a section in first person perspective, and space ships firing lasers and explosions!!!

also the director was fired and they hired auteur Michael Bay

See if we can like Uwe Boll and Michael Bay :p

The film does start with a Alien ship that seems to have lost control and crashes on earth into the Arctic. If I can remember correctly, it then stays there berried beneath the snow for 100s or 1000s of years until some Norweigens discover something under the there. They then blow it out with dynamite and find a frozen alien inside. They thaw him out and the Thing kills some of them. The film then picks of from there with the last surviving Norwegians chasing the infected Dog.

I also remember reading that the Alien that crashed onto earth was possibly infected or carrying the Thing explaining why it crashed, kind of like with the Alien film.

Wow, WTF! This is so lame. Leave these ****ing movies alone.

Umm.. The game continued the story pretty well. Actually probably the only good game/movie relation ever. They worked perfect together.

Basically - Don't rule it to be shit.. Although with directors/movies the way they are today, I doubt it will be good, but it COULD have been.

Something that Asuka doesn't love? IMPOSSIBLE!

looks like jewwoo-I mean Hollywood is running out of ideas.

Well, I will say that I want to see this badly being a big Thing fan.

But I will also say that the whole mystery aspect is what makes the movie scary, they will be taking away that sort of eerie aspect by showing you what happens.

Also, the time this movie was made also made it what it was, no CGI, grainy, 80's. Good stuff, a film in this decade can't do the same.

Umm.. The game continued the story pretty well. Actually probably the only good game/movie relation ever. They worked perfect together.

Basically - Don't rule it to be shit.. Although with directors/movies the way they are today, I doubt it will be good, but it COULD have been.

Nah the game was crap and the plot didn't really make any sense when connected to the film.

What the hell are you talking about? Game was awesome, and it made perfect sense, you noob!

Back