The Walking Dead TV Series (AMC)

I have complete faith in the writers, I'm sure they'll be able to make the relationships work.

The second episode was an almost complete turnaround from the first. I don't care how close the writer are or are not following the comic (which I've never read), some of the things that happened were on the level of high-school narrative and are quickly turning me off of this show.

A zombie suddenly appearing literally two feet from the sewer grate that they've been inspecting for at least ten seconds? Zombies getting suspicious the instant rain starts falling, as if half a litre of water can wash away the smell of rotting corpse? Seriously?

Anyone else who follows the books annoyed at them adding new characters? If the books never existed I think I would like this series a lot more, but right now, I'm not sure.

Things like zombies just 'appearing' I guess I can put up with because that's come to be standard fare with zombie films, I did find that the rain washing the scent off seem a bit ridiculous, not to mention predictable. Other than that I liked the second episode, very 'edge of your seat' towards the end, it did what every episode of Prison Break used to do so it's a thumbs up in my books.

unsure on the last episode. strayed very, very far away from the comic. need to watch it again and assess the nitty gritty.

I'm really enjoying it. Sure, it's strayed from the comic a bit but do you really want an exact recreation of the entire graphic novel? As long as the major parts are included, I'm satisfied because the quality overall has been great. Just enjoy it.

You guys sure find meaningful stuff to complain about.

Is that sarcasm to suggest that character relationships in a tv series isn't a meaningful concern? Because you dumb if thats what you think. You real dumb.

Second episode was another step towards me losing interest. Main character again proves to be an emotionless numbnut. More poor-taste scenarios with the zombie in the sewer. The key falling into that tiny, raised pipe. The very notion that dead stink will completely negate alive stink. The notion that rain immediately dissolves dead stink. The new characters are just awful, except for Glenn (the Asian kid) and maybe that Hispanic guy who didn't really do anything, so its hard to tell. The stereotypical black guy (t-dog, seriously?), the stereotypical redneck racist (skin head in a leather vest, seriously?). The white lady isn't really a bad character, but her acting is unbelievable to me, she doesn't do a convincing job. Really, so far the only characters in the show I'd classify as "good" are the father and son in the first episode, and Glenn.

And really, how long has it been since the outbreak? The guy's wife couldn't wait a month before she needed another ugly white guy's dick in her?

And really, how long has it been since the outbreak? The guy's wife couldn't wait a month before she needed another ugly white guy's dick in her?

This, a bit of a killer for me.

I liked the first episode the best out of the two, like you said, the father and son were excellent.

Is that sarcasm to suggest that character relationships in a tv series isn't a meaningful concern? Because you dumb if thats what you think. You real dumb.

I haven't seen the episode yet but from what I had seen in the thread at that moment the big complaining point was something about a grate.

And I'm like "wow", but as I said, I haven't seen it yet.

Also, the show has been renewed for a second season. It'll be 13 episodes long.

Even more impressive than its big debut was how well Walking Dead held up in its second airing last night. It drew 4.7 million viewers, only 11% down from the debut which was supported by a massive promotional campaign.

No brainer.

This is assuming it wasn't happening before the outbreak.

This is assuming it wasn't happening before the outbreak.

Yeah... that's my thoughts. Wife was probably having an affair well before it all happened.

As I touched on briefly earlier, and how others have started to mention... I too am disappointed by the really cliche aspects.

Can't exactly say i was thrilled about the whole zombie stink thing. The way they made the zombies react to that really just sort of gave the zombies more intelligence than I quite care for. Are you a zombie? Hmm let me analyze you for a moment and nope... you're not a... WAIT A MINUTE ARE YOU REALLY NOT A... nope... let me stop analyzing you know and shamble on.

But I still enjoy it.

The whole scene just felt really condescending, and downright insulting to my intelligence. "These two men are using scent to hide themselves in plain sight! See? Look! ****ING LOOK. That zombie just looked at him, and then looked somewhere else! Oh no, here come some more -- are they about to be found out?! Uh oh... that zombie looked him real good in the eyes and - is he - oh my god he looks like he's going to - whoops, guess that zombie was fooled too! Oh no, rain is coming, EVERYTHING IS WASHING AWAY OH NO LOOK AS WE SHOW YOU SO MANY EXAGGERATED REACTIONS TO THIS TERRIBLE PLOT DEVICE"

I don't get how they can get creepy zombie behaviour so right with that kid's mom, and then turn around and make them behave like video game enemies.

This show is like the perfect inverse of Rubicon. If this banal writing continues into the third episode, I'm going to be extremely pissed if Rubicon doesn't get renewed too.

I liked it, mostly because of the violence.

It reminds me a lot of Resident Evil 2 because of the setting, the unlikable support actors, and survival stuff, along with the gameplay-like things, e.g. the dead-end in the sewer, the handcuff key stuff, and being covered in zombie smell to progress.

It's a shame the tank didn't get any action. I would guess at least one million dollars for three minutes of footage, but it would have been worth it.

Yeah, I would have liked to see more of the tank. It would have been funny if the two of them had escaped to the tank when it started raining.

AND ANOTHER THING

When they were getting zombie guts all over their shirts and worrying about getting it on their skin, Rick nonchalantly shoved his hand into his pants pocket to get his handcuff key, rubbing his wrist on the bloody cuff of his shirt in the process. Anything else I would say about this should be immediately apparent :p

Yeah, she also put the pistol in Glen's? (the Asian dude) pants and got zombie guts on her hand. They were also standing there watching without shielding themselves (particularly their eyes) from gut spray, which was stupid of them.

You won't get infected from it touching your skin though, only if it enters your bloodstream (eyes would be vulnerable, but maybe not mouth unless you were cut). I mean, it's a virus, right? So the same things for any virus would apply, though some viruses are hardier than others and can survive longer without a host.

And when a zombie has been dead long enough, shouldn't the virus die? (granted, the dude hadn't been dead but a few hours).

Anyway, it's wrong to assume that since I know something, or even something is common knowledge, that they should know it also. So it's not a negative thing. You would think one of them would have known a bit though. The sheriff was like "don't get it on your skin" like he knew what he was talking about, but whatever, that happens in real life too. Besides, you wouldn't want it on your skin anyway, just because.

Sure is nitpicking and over analyzing in here.
Though, I guess it's only natural to assume that everything on AMC is supposed to be perfect in every way.

I'm really enjoying it. Sure, it's strayed from the comic a bit but do you really want an exact recreation of the entire graphic novel? As long as the major parts are included, I'm satisfied because the quality overall has been great. Just enjoy it.

well, when you look at the criticisms in this thread regarding the last episode and then relate it back to the fact that everything that was bad about it was new and not from the comic, yeah, i'm starting to want a recreation now. well, the guts and blood on the clothes is in the comic, but it was done a lot better in print. this wasn't that great at all.

should be noted that darabont didn't direct this episode.

Sure is nitpicking and over analyzing in here.
Though, I guess it's only natural to assume that everything on AMC is supposed to be perfect in every way.

It might have sounded like I was nitpicking, but I was actually defending it and just discussing it. I have no problem with the episode. I really liked it, much better than the first IMHO. I just wanted to see some survival action.

I did like the old black dude in the first; I'm sure we'll see him again.

2nd episode was rather crap... the supporting cast were on Heroes season 3 level of actings, really poor.

well, when you look at the criticisms in this thread regarding the last episode and then relate it back to the fact that everything that was bad about it was new and not from the comic, yeah, i'm starting to want a recreation now. well, the guts and blood on the clothes is in the comic, but it was done a lot better in print. this wasn't that great at all.

should be noted that darabont didn't direct this episode.
I don't get the logic behind this shift in quality. The second ep's director is Michelle Maxwell MacLaren, who directed several episodes of The X-Files and Breaking Bad, and the writing team is the same, consisting of the comic's writing team and Darabont.

This was billed as at least a semi-faithful recreation of the comic, and then they add a bunch of non-canon story that turns out to be shit. There's no good reason for this to happen!

Just thew on the first episode, they have ripped off 28 days later pretty bad with the waking up in hospital scene but it seems good so far.

Having read the last few comments tho I'm not sure im looking forward to the next episode to much!

zomg WHO PUT DRAMA IN MY ZOMBIE SHOW?

come on guys the premise is a zombie apocolypse surely some human drama doesnt shatter your suspension of disbelief

I don't get the logic behind this shift in quality. The second ep's director is Michelle Maxwell MacLaren, who directed several episodes of The X-Files and Breaking Bad, and the writing team is the same, consisting of the comic's writing team and Darabont.

This was billed as at least a semi-faithful recreation of the comic, and then they add a bunch of non-canon story that turns out to be shit. There's no good reason for this to happen!

dunno dude, that's just how it is. first episode under darabont is good, second episode not so much.

stern, i don't think anyone is questioning the human drama, but more the writing that has gone into creating this apparent human drama. it was pretty shoddy here. the writing in the comic is just fine - everything in this episode was incredibly unnecessary and not very faithful at all.

havent read the comic so cant compare. seemed like standard human drama to me. even cliched

Does anybody hate the "next week' teasers? To me at least, it seems they go through every possible scene and set of drama there could be. I know they often do this with many shows, but this one seems especially bad. I feel like I watched the entire episode watching those teasers.

I hope you mean Tony Moore, rather than those making the TV series.

Does anybody hate the "next week' teasers? To me at least, it seems they go through every possible scene and set of drama there could be. I know they often do this with many shows, but this one seems especially bad. I feel like I watched the entire episode watching those teasers.
Teasers piss me off. I always close my eyes and yell "LALALALAAAA I'm not listening!"

OK, not really, but don't put it past me. I do avoid them.

I hope you mean Tony Moore, rather than those making the TV series.

what about tony moore? he only illustrated the first six issues, i believe he has nothing to do with the shows production.

My apologizes, Robert Kirkman, was the name I was looking for.
images

Watched the first episode yesterday and just finished watching the second. As some of you, I've noticed a drop in quality and while the episode was still enjoyable, it felt like something out of series you watch one-two episodes from and then forget.

The whole "don't get blood on your skin/in your eyes" thing was pretty stupid in a way that they didn't really seem to care about it. Nobody is concerned about splashes of blood when chopping up a body, apart from the person chopping it with a face-shield covered in blood on both sides. Rick seems pretty comfortable with shooting zombies at point-blank range (even pressing the barrel against the head), unafraid that he'll get some blood on him from the exploding head (which doesn't necessarily have to splash backwards).

Zombies walk rather slowly in the scene where Rick is making a run for it from the tank, but when he's running with the Asian guy after "losing their scent", the zombies are running after them (like injured people, but still).

I understand movie reality, but little things like this bother me in something that seemed like a rather realistic series (ie. believable), judging from the first episode.

Despite all the drawbacks, I still enjoy this show, and I enjoyed this latest episode.

Ditto, just viewing this as a great zombie series, not an exact remake.

If you don't like it.....

cry_some_more_icon387.jpg

I like this show a lot, but this last episode was kind of weird. It seems like they're trying to squeeze as many character dynamics in to the mix as fast as possible before the season ends. He finds his family already then leaves to an unnecessarily dangerous situation probably to lose them again. The "disrespectful wife beater" is introduced and dealt with in like 30 minutes, and the overly sterotypical redneck punk shows up to make his stereotypical redneck comments and do redneck punk things. The first episode was full of multidimensional characters (except that kid, but all kids like that are just annoying) and they've just been tapering off. I still like the show and I'll keep watching it, but I thought they'd at least milk the whole story of him trying to find his family for a while. I also imagined it being more like an AMC show with zombies than a zombie show that happens to be on AMC if you know what I mean. Complex characters with deep psychological stories and well developed personalities. That first episode had all of that but it's kind of waning now.

I liked the newest episode, it was a vast improvement to the last (which, in retrospect, wasn't all that bad. It just felt rushed, but it was trying to introduce new characters and dilemmas in a short amount of time, and while that isnt always bad, most of the characters were over the top). I'm hoping the reason for the cartoony characters and rushed story is that the creators were nervous that they had to pack in as much as possible into 6 episodes. No one was sure if the series was going to take off. Its a big gamble to make a zombie themed show. As long as the rest of the episodes are on a level between the first and third eps, I'll be happy. Lets just hope that the creators and writers will learn from their mistakes from the first season to make an awesome second.

I really liked the opening to this episode. I wasn't a fan of Merle in the last episode, but Michael Rooker gave a great performance this time around. And the very end brought it full circle... although, I do have some nit picks about the last moments of this ep:
why isnt there much blood if he cut off his own hand? there were plenty of zombies trying to get merle before, but when the group came to rescue him, none were to be found (except the one in the store). And why cut off his own hand? Why not cut the small metal pipe instead? I haven't read the comics, so maybe this will be explained in time, but it just seems weird to me

I quite liked the third episode, but it did feel a tad cramped. One thing I was wondering though:

Was it supposed to be clear that Mearl(?) survived after cutting off his hand? Or did he jump off the roof?

I quite liked the third episode, but it did feel a tad cramped. One thing I was wondering though:

Was it supposed to be clear that Mearl(?) survived after cutting off his hand? Or did he jump off the roof?

I assume he survived, just with one less hand.

I also don't get why he cut his hand off. The zombies clearly didn't get through that door. I'd have cut through the cuffs or the pipe, surely he would have had time? Unless another zombie found its way onto the roof?

I'm still enjoying the series, though a lot is going on in the episodes now. Hopefully they'll slow down a bit in the next season since they've got more episodes to play with.

Theres probably some access ladder or something he climbed down.

My initial impressions was that this episode was a marked improvement over the first two, but theres still a lot in it I don't like. For one, its stupid that the guy cut off his hand with the hacksaw, rather than the handcuff chain or the pipe. No ****ing sense to that whatsoever, even if he was delirious from dehydration. It was also stupid how that old dude and other dude bartered for letting the guy borrow a ****ing bolt cutter. That absolutely not realistic. Nobody would just not lend bolt cutters to save someone's life, let alone make such ridiculous demands for it. I mean, he demanded they get his tool bag back, that he get first pick out of all the guns, and be able to strip the guy's vehicle, all just to borrow a ****ing pair of bolt cutters. If someone actually did that, they'd get a swift punch to the nose.

I also hate that the cast is like 50% rednecks. Probably why the only characters I like are Glenn and the father and son from the first episode.

As for the pacing, I actually prefer it. It doesn't feel cramped or rushed to me. I much prefer it to the crawling pace of the first two.

One of the best shows running at the moment. They better not cancel this one.

I wouldn't say the best, there alot other shows that are better, Rubicon was well written, breaking bad is well acted, mad men is very stylized, this show... erm... has zombies?

Back