The Walking Dead TV Series (AMC)

rick's wife, lori, and his friend shane, the other cop, knew he was in a coma but left him there during the outbreak as - at the time - it was the safest place for him to be. considering he probably wasn't in a stable state, and that at some point the hospital was set up as a military encampment, it was all they could do for him.

*EDIT* Remus, if THAT is what makes no sense to you, I think it's time I let you know that Zombies don't exist......

Translation: "I have no explanation why the zombies work together"

Thought so.

For the same reasons many animals don't eat dead flesh.

For the same reasons many animals don't eat dead flesh.

Virus, therefore, they are still alive. I'm specifically talking about all these movies with a zombie apocalypse caused by a virus, not supernatural circumstances. (aka real walking dead)

But, whatever nvm. I'm just overanalyzing things

I watched this in HD and I have to say I was very satisfied. An exceedingly strong pilot for what looks to be a great show. If it keeps being as good as this episode was it'll be one of my favorite shows currently on TV by the third or fourth episode. AMC is really kicking ass with its original series. Breaking Bad is my favorite show on TV, Mad Men is excellent, and now The Walking Dead looks to be the same.

AMC's 'Walking Dead' Scares Up 5.34 Mil. Viewers

after AMC is credited for DVR playback, The Walking Dead’s deliveries could swell to some 8 million viewers. Any way you slice it, look to AMC president and general manager Charlie Collier to announce a renewal soon.

156216-walking-dead-m.jpg

The Walking Dead ... the most successful cable series debut of 2010.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/news/cable-tv/e3i8a210b25e0747b72a29e67ae1065690e

I think it's safe to assume this means more seasons, bigger budgets, and all the other things that success brings.

Great pilot, will keep watching of course. Want more.

Translation: "I have no explanation why the zombies work together"

Thought so.

It's not my job to create a more fictional story for said fictional story. Use your imagination. Blame Unicorns!

Bear Mccreary (composer of this series) is doing a blog about the music for each episode:

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4964#more-4964

The AMC series debuted in over 120 countries simultaneously, making it the most ambitious worldwide launch of a television series of its kind.

Woah. Simultaneously without a long delay? I wonder how many people watched it if you factored in international ratings.

Just watched the pilot and I am really looking forward to the rest.

Zombies were awesome, some really nice special effect too.

My only real gripe was the tank scene. Was a bit dumb, there was no way he wouldn't have seen that hatch as he was crawling around underneath it. But apart from that I loved the rest :D Will this be airing every sunday?

Just watched the pilot and I am really looking forward to the rest.

Zombies were awesome, some really nice special effect too.

My only real gripe was the tank scene. Was a bit dumb, there was no way he wouldn't have seen that hatch as he was crawling around underneath it. But apart from that I loved the rest :D Will this be airing every sunday?

Hopefully the entire 2nd episode budget is spent for him running over zombies in that tank at high speed. **** YEAH.

While the tank scene was a bit iffy, I doubt I would have noticed it right away, especially when being cornered by swarms of zombies. I didn't even know tanks had hatch's on the bottom. But other than that, this show lived up to my high expectations. I've always been a fan of Zombie films, but I was worried about how a TV show would handle it. If the rest of the episodes are as good as the first, then I don't think there's anything to worry about. One of my favorite scenes was when the main character was walking down the flight of stairs in the dark, only being able to see with the help of matches. Such a tense moment, and it wasn't ruined by some lame "jump" scene. Also, the horse disembowelment was great.

While the tank scene was a bit iffy, I doubt I would have noticed it right away, especially when being cornered by swarms of zombies. I didn't even know tanks had hatch's on the bottom. But other than that, this show lived up to my high expectations. I've always been a fan of Zombie films, but I was worried about how a TV show would handle it. If the rest of the episodes are as good as the first, then I don't think there's anything to worry about. One of my favorite scenes was when the main character was walking down the flight of stairs in the dark, only being able to see with the help of matches. Such a tense moment, and it wasn't ruined by some lame "jump" scene. Also, the horse disembowelment was great.

Tanks have hatches on the bottom so crewmembers can bail out when they're hit, without having to be super exposed to small arms fire as they clamber around on top of it. Also, neither of those scenes really struck me as good really. In fact, the only scene I thought that was above average was when he went back to the upper-torso zombie in the park and watched it for a bit before shooting it. But that was all the zombie-actor's performance, and the effects making it so visceral. Every other scene in the show seemed like standard Zombie movie fare.

Also, I feel like a total idiot for not realizing until reading this thread that the other group of people were the other cop, and the guys wife and son. I just thought they were unrelated nobodies haha. Guess I started spacing out at the end. Its also weird that the wife showed no sign of thinking "maybe thats my cop husband using the cop radio and driving down that highway that is near our house."

And did they ever mention how long it had been from the outbreak to him waking up? The zombies look like they'd been decaying for months. No way that guy could have lived in a coma on an IV drip for more than a few days though...

Its also weird that the wife showed no sign of thinking "maybe thats my cop husband using the cop radio and driving down that highway that is near our house."
I didn't figure out why she didn't hear his voice or realize it could have been him either. I probably should have hit the rewind because it was bewildering. I chalked it up to the radio static and moved on. But she was standing right there and he was like, "this is officer blah blah".

Also, neither of those scenes really struck me as good really.
The only reason I liked the scenes is that it seemed to stray from common zombie/horror cliches. How often do you see animals eviscerated in zombie flicks? And the dark stair well scene in most instances would have ended with some zombie/animal/person popping out of nowhere to scare the audience. The fact that they didn't go with that really made me happy.
In fact, the only scene I thought that was above average was when he went back to the upper-torso zombie in the park and watched it for a bit before shooting it. But that was all the zombie-actor's performance, and the effects making it so visceral.

That was a great scene, and it helps bring out the human side to a zombie tale. I have to admit, I thought they used an actor missing their lower half to film that scene (which was done for some shots for the Dawn of the Dead remake as well as other horror films). But to see that the actress was fully limbed, it showed the extent of the special effects used for this show.

edit: thanks for the tank info. It makes sense, I just don't know much about military vehicles.

I liked the moment where he was on the stairs with the matches also.

I personally enjoyed the hell out of it.

Same. It was like 28 Days Later, only less somber and more visceral. Also, they didn't use that generic stock revolver sound, which I was incredibly pleased about :D

When the **** is the next episode. :v If he doesn't fire up that tank and run over at least 216 zombies, I will be disappointed.

It was pretty dumb to have a zombie down in the building on the other side of the sewer grate.

I mean... that was sort of a "my god, really?" moment.

I enjoyed the episode though!

Why is that silly? It seems perfectly reasonable to me... presumably there are many entrances to the sewer system, some open, and a few undead surely would wander in.

I liked this episode a lot, although the premiere was arguably better. Interested to see how the subplot with the white trash develops. I like the asian guy.

I'm already sad this season is going to be a short six episodes. This show is phenomenal so far.

It was just... I dunno. Silly to me. Maybe it's like that in the comic, but I don't care about the comic.

As soon as they made that decision, I was thinking... "Yep... gonna be a zombie in there, right where they are... guaranteed. That's the only reason they're going down there in the first place!"

It just seemed goofy. Sure, a zombie might be in the sewer system... but right there against the grate, eating a rat RIGHT there? maybe if they shined a light way down or something or saw a zombie shamble in the darkness. Just something that wasn't immediately right where they are.

It was too perfect, and the perfection is flawed in my opinion.

Excellent episode.
Missed the black guy and his kid though, I hope we see them again.

Damn, I really need to sit down and watch this.

I just watched the 1st episode on Hulu and this show is amazing!
my friend at work convinced me to watch it and after hearing everyone else say it was good i dove right in and loved it from the get go. one thing i hate is everyone has cut grass. other than that this show is amazing.

Good episode. I agree with Raz though.

It was a bit silly that the zombie had to be right next to the grate they would have wanted to get through. I guess it IS possible that a zombie would happen to hang around that grate. There were rats and such passing by. It's only a really minor annoyance is all :p

I'm guessing the cop and the rest are going to head to the base camp now. Should be interesting when he finds out he's been boning his wife! :p

I like the Chinese guy, but the rest haven't really left an impression on me yet. I also miss the black guy and his son, but I'm sure we'll see them again :) (I really need to start remembering peoples names in this show! :D)

I wonder when we get to see him use that grenade. Gonna be a bloody mess when he does! :D

Enjoyed it none-the-less. Hate how I have to wait another week, and there's only 4 episodes left of this season :(

Just watched the pilot, great show, one thing I'm worried about though...

I hope the whole 'relationships' side of things doesn't ruin the story, seems very Greys Anatomy or something

You guys sure find meaningful stuff to complain about.

If the comics are anything to go by, the human interactions and relationships are much more important than and take precedence over the zombies.

Back