Transformers 2: the Revenge Rotten Tomato score: 20%

Just found out that Orson Welles did one of the voices in the original Transformer movie cartoon while going through his IMDB profile, heh.

saw the movie and really liked it. for a summer time movie at IMAX for free it was definitely worth it. If I were Michael Bay though, I would have had some better editors though. They could have cut about 20-30 mins of the movie that just plain sucked. but don't forget the majority of the people seeing this movie probably never saw every ****ing episode of the original series, let alone played with the toys when they were 3-10 yrs old....what have you. also for those who couldn't understand what was going on during the fight scenes watch the movie in an Imax theater, drink some caffeine before viewing and pay attention. it was almost too easy to figure out who was the good guys and the bad guys. bad guys have red eyes, good guys generally have brighter eyes.

i give it an 8.5/10

Excuse me? What planet are you from?

You misunderstood me, fleshling. Maybe I should have been more precise - Critics never give action flicks POSITIVE REVIEWS. Also,more than meets the critics eye.

Anyways, I loved this movie, more than the first. In the first, Optimus seemed very feeble and weak. Optimus was so ****ing badass in this one.

In the final scene, Optimus says: "Gimme your face!" and than tears his face right off the Fallen's head, and then precedes to say: "I stand, you fall." - epic!

I was supposed to go see this with friends tonight.

I just told them I was sick and puked and couldn't go.

Thanks to this thread.

I may be doing nothing tonight, but apparently I can't doing anything more time wasting then seeing this movie. I think I'll play Diablo 2 tonight.

After seeing it, 20% seems fair. It was pretty damn awful.

Michael Bay needs a ****ing geography lesson. Seriously.
The scene where they are in the "National Air and Space" museum was painful to someone, like me, who loves that place so much. I got chills when they said that's where they were going...that wasn't it.

Ha, same. I was actually with a few of my aviation nerd friends, and that museums like an hour from my house, so we abused that scene in retrospective power.

I feel Transformers would be a lot more enjoyable if Bay learned to write an actual climactic ending. Seriously, Sidewinder dead with in minutes followed by Devestator dead miles away in a fight with the twins. Ugh. That link from Darkseid is pretty interesting and I think it goes pretty far into why I like Transformers.

Now that Im a bit calm seriously that movie get a ****ing 0/10 from me. I've only seen the first one in bits and pieces and I figured "Hey the second should be more of the same just robots beating each other up sounds like a good time!" No **** you.

45 minutes in and I thought I had been sitting there already for about 2 hours. Even the god damn optimus fight which should've been epic as hell made me go "Welp that was cool I guess".

I really don't think the non-robot-fighting parts were that much worse, were they? I mean, I think I found them less annoying in this one, honestly.

No, those parts drove me insane too. I know its michael bay but..jesus christ.

Ticket sales statistics is a pointing stick of the general public opinion, hype and other things about the movie. Seen here.

Yeah, Meet The Spartans did pretty well at the box office too.
Popularity != Quality.

I saw a bit of Meet the Spartans and what I saw was funny

Not refuting your argument because I totally agree; I'm just throwing that out there

I tend to think people expect a little too much from movies these days. I don't know. I really enjoyed Transformers 2. I really did. It was excessively fun, if not a bit too damn long. I didn't walk into the theatre and expect something 'smart' or narratively and emotionally compelling. Sometimes I enjoy spending money to be thrilled by stupid, over-the-top, 'Michael Bay' movies. I love connecting with intelligently written and directed films. But I don't want them all the time.

Dosen't make the movie crap, I think. I think it makes it dumb, but that isn't necessairily a bad thing.

Not that I think the movie should be closed to criticism based purely off the notion that 'it dosen't have to be smart'. That's crazy.

I jsut think people should be a little more 'accessible'. Lineant. I don't know. I can't think of the right word.

Case and point in my opinion user reviews are more accurate and public reviewers sit there all day watching movies and obviously get bored fast. its kinda hard for a person that sits at the theater all day watching movies to give a good review score vs someone who sees maybe a movie or two every month. also i found the soundtrack from the 1st film to be better than the second, that can also have an effect on a movie too. Just look at the Matrix movies though, the 3rd one sucked balls and people were turned away from the series forever. the 1st Matrix was a cult classic and now look at the whole series. overall its pretty non existent these days.

From another article:

1. Transformers Don't Mate
There are two examples in the film that would lead you to believe that Transformers are sexual beings. First off, a tiny Transformer attempts to copulate with Megan Fox's leg. Secondly, Devastator seems to have massive Decepticon testicles. Both of these happenings would you lead one to believe that giant metal robots mate, that they engage in the act of intercourse.

Only they don't. Because they are aliens made up entirely of metal. At the outset of the mythology there weren't even "female" Transformers because the Transformers had no gender at all. In fact, it's specifically mentioned in the film that the "little ones" are dying without the Energon cube, the very thing The Decipticons are trying to get their hands on, which would further indicate that it's more of a spawning/energy sort of birth for The Transformers.

Besides that, the joke doesn't even make sense, because a little Transformer shouldn't find Megan Fox's leg attractive. They are not in the same genus or species, they aren't even from the same planet. It would be akin to Megan Fox becoming aroused by a very shiny toaster. Idiotic.

2. Sam Witwicky's Hand Gets Bandaged By Ghosts
When the gang is all transported to The Middle East Shia's real-life injury is explained by him exploding outwards from Jetfire. So the causation of the injury is shown. But five seconds later Shia has what appears to be a professional level wrapping job on his hand. Who did this? Where did they get the supplies? And where on Megan Fox's body would all that gauze have been stored?

3. Sam Witwicky Would Have Been Killed by the Mini-Transformers at Close Range
When Sam's kitchen comes alive he's chased into his bedroom. He's then shot, at a distance of about 10 inches, with a full battery of mini-ordinance. My original thought was that mini-Transformers don't fire debilitating weapons, only this is contradicted the moment Sam escapes his room and they proceed to destroy the front yard. Thus, if they have the power to destroy a home they have the power to kill a human at close range.

4. Decepticons Don't Need to "Set Traps" With Sam's Parents
The Decepticons had the advantage of speed and superior firepower. They were closing in on the humans and their Autobot protectors. Why would they then need to traipse out Sam Witwicky's parents? It makes no sense. If you could get close enough to Sam to even show him his parents then you're close enough to kill / capture him. That little maneuver slowed Sam up for about five seconds, but it evidently took hours of careful planning and coordination by The Decepticons. It's the Coors Light Cold Can Technology of evil plans: A hell of a lot of work for absolutely no gain.

5. Why Not Drive the Final Two Miles Instead of Sprinting?
Sam is dropped off because Bumblebee can't make it to the village. So Sam and Mikaela running is better than a Camero at full speed? Sure, the Camero makes a more inviting target, but it also goes ten times faster. If The Decepticons were advancing to the point that they were putting too much heat on Bumblebee then they sure as hell would have caught two people running around in the 15 minutes it took them to close the distance to the village. It was an artificial attempt at tension, and a transparent one at that.

6. Five Targets Sink to Depths to Get Megatron ... and Yet Six Come Out
That math makes sense if The Decepticons hadn't destroyed a little Transformer on the ocean floor to facilitate Megatron's rebirth. But they did. So five targets went down, and five went up, which should have caused a bit of confusion for the humans. Only they reported five down, six up. Perhaps the Decepticons were bringing that last one home for a proper burial?

7. Leo Spitz Yells "I Don't Want to Go To Prison!"
Really? You've been kidnapped by giant metallic aliens, you're being chased by another and more evil set of giant metallic aliens, but your main concern IS PRISON?? I would think prison would be a welcome respite from, oh, I don't know, almost being blown to bits every five seconds.

8. The Back of the Smithsonian is a desert?
Devin Faraci from Chud pointed this one out. Quote:

At one point the characters walk out of the back door of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC and end up blatantly in Arizona at the Sorona Desert Airplane Graveyard.
I get that we're all suspending disbelief, and this is meant for entertainment, and it's a "popcorn" movie. But the man was handed hundred of millions of dollars to craft a story. You're telling me no one noticed this jarring lack of continuity? However, if Jetfire transported them to Sorona this technically makes sense, even though his transporting ability was never explained or fully realized until the Jordan/Egypt trip.
9. One Aircraft Carrier is Destroyed in 90 Seconds. The Rest Are Left in Peace?
When Megatron is rescued from the bottom of the ocean the Decepticons go through an aircraft carrier like a hot knife through butter. Later we see an additional air craft carrier launching fighters to provide support. Why didn't The Decipticons take an extra 15 minutes and simply destroy the rest of the fleet?

10. The Human Female Transformer
In Michael Bay's continual quest to make all things sexual, he presents a Decepticon Transformer that's posing as a human to get the shard from Sam. Why aren't there more of these models? Seems to me that Transformers who looked exactly like humans would have access to all sorts of things. Just look at Battlestar Galactica, a show that presents all kinds of interesting dilemmas around the idea of machines infiltrating the human race.

Case and point in my opinion user reviews are more accurate and public reviewers sit there all day watching movies and obviously get bored fast. its kinda hard for a person that sits at the theater all day watching movies to give a good review score vs someone who sees maybe a movie or two every month.
False premise.
A few new movies are released a week, not a half dozen each day. Additionally most reviewers only write about a fraction of them each, maybe one or two a week, if that - either their publication isn't based on film journalism and the space is limited, or it is and the task is split between the staff.

I just watched Starscream get thoroughly manhandled and Ravage have his spine ripped out by ****ing BUMBLEBEE.

**** YEAH THE DRAMA AND SHIT SUCKED AND THE FINAL BATTLE DRAGGED ON LIKE HELL BUT **** YEAH

This was a pretty bad film.

The first hour is completely abysmal film-making save for the opening fight, that was good enough. Everything from there until the forest fight was godawful. The forest fight fortunately showed that Bay seems to have learnt something from making the original and there he actually allows his audience enough of a view to see the fight this time. For that lone sequence, the film is worth watching and for a few minutes you're left thinking "Hey, this film might actually be good now".

Unfortunately the majority of the second half of the film is spent swirling around in circles dramatically while people/robots talk, and when the action finally comes, it's overwhelmed by bad direction and melodrama.

I feel terrible for the studio's behind the CGI in this film. They have done such brilliant work and so much of that is ruined because of Bay's inability to direct a decent action scene.

The fact that Steven Spielberg called Bay up himself and asked him to direct Transformers, shows that he has lost his ****ing mind and can no longer be trusted with any of his long-loved franchises. Indiana Jones 5 is going to be ****ing terrible.

The Autobots have joined the military to hunt down the Decepticons. We're told the Decepticons are "doing things," but they appear to be hiding peacefully when the Autobots show up and brutally murder them.

Yeah. The Decepticons aren't apparently doing anything, then the Autobots show up, the Decepticons run for their goddamn lives, and the Autobots hunt them down and brutally murder them. It's kind of weird.

BTW, why is the U.S. military helping them? Supposedly to help keep the Transformers a secret from the public? Although since the climax of the last film was a massive firefight involving 50-foot robots and took place over five miles of downtown Los Angeles and the beginning of this film wrecks several miles of Shanghai, China, they seem to be incredibly shitty at their job.

Wow.

I knew the film was going to be bad, but it surpassed all expectations.
Bay has become even worse as his career has progressed, he's a parody of himself now. The basic premise for the plot didn't make any sense. AT ALL!

did you guys get free tickets because even if I had free tickets I wouldnt go see it. not interested at all and Bay's movies are particuarily loathsome imho

Essentially free, yeah. The cinema chain I use here has a monthly subscription thing where you can see an unlimited amount of films for a flat fee.
I wouldn't pay for it, god no. Still, it was morbidly fascinating in a masochistic kind of way. Like when I saw Battlefield Earth...

heh I read Battlefield Earth ...Hubbard wasnt much of a sci-fi writer ..I can see why he turned to religion

The film was infinitely worse than the book.

Gives you an idea of what the film is like then. It makes Transformers look like Citizen Kane.

so bad it's good kinda bad? or bad avoid at all costs bad?

So bad it's impossible to turn away from. I kept telling myself there must be some part of it that was good, but it just wasn't so.
The acting. The plot. The script. The cinematography. The editing. The score. The sound. The special effects. All absolutely atrocious.

Fascinating to watch.

I didn't even find it funny bad.

It's more of a Street Fighter the legend of Chun Li bad, and not so much Street fighter Jean-Claude Van Damme.

So bad it's impossible to turn away from. I kept telling myself there must be some part of it that was good, but it just wasn't so.
The acting. The plot. The script. The cinematography. The editing. The score. The sound. The special effects. All absolutely atrocious.

Fascinating to watch.

Micheal Bay has created the most compelling movie of all time.

Megan Fox on how she got the role for Transformers 2

The Guardian said:
She told me she went to director Michael Bay's house to audition and he made her wash his Ferrari while he filmed her. She said she didn't know what had happened to that footage. When I put it to Bay himself, he looked suitably abashed. "Er, I don't know where it is either."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jul/05/johnny-depp-megan-fox

Back