Two cops murdered by felon over warrant for writing a bad check

Escaep

Tank
Reaction score
http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2010/june/114767/Man-sought-in-shooting-of-officers

The officers were shot during a stop at 50th Street and 23rd Avenue at 2:15 a.m. The incident began when Curtis pulled over a car because it had no visible licence plate. He found Morris had a warrant on a minor charge and called for backup.

Tampa police chief Jane Castor said Kocab arrived and the officers tried to arrest Morris and as they put their hands on him he spun around and shot them both.

The minor charge was because the primary suspect had a warrant out for writing a bad check.

Gets worse:

Kocab, 31, had almost 14 months as a Tampa Police Officer. He is survived by a his wife, who is nine months pregnant.

Found out from my sister, who works for a sheriff's department that his wife was due next week.

The other officer:

Curtis, also 31, had three years and eight months of service to the Tampa Police Department. He leaves behind a wife and four sons - ages 9, 8, 5 and 8 months.

Source for bad check: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...-still-sought-in-tampa-police-officer-murders

Officer Kocab joined him after it was determined that the passenger in the car had an outstanding misdemeanor warrant for a worthless check out of Jacksonville. Chief Castor said as soon as they put their hands on the suspect, he spun around, pulled out a gun and shot both officers in the upper body.

sad but it's part of the job

True, but over a traffic stop and a warrant for a bad check? I don't know what the sentence for a bad check is but it can't be more than a year or so. But I mean to put that over two officer's lives and the lives of their families is despicable.

True, but over a traffic stop and a warrant for a bad check? I don't know what the sentence for a bad check is but it can't be more than a year or so. But I mean to put that over two officer's lives and the lives of their families is despicable.

meh, they're criminals. criminals usually dont put police in high regard

Thats sad. Its such a shame that people can be that unthinking and do something so drastic. Hopefully the guy was just on some drugs or something, and not just in such a bad place financially that he was forced into violence.

I hate these stupid ****ing people, makes me angry. I would love for these assholes to be locked in a small 6x6 room for the rest of their lives having to watch pictures of the families of the people they killed for the rest of their lives.

What a ****ing moron and asshole. Christ. Seriously shooting a cop over such a minor thing. He must be insane.

I hate these stupid ****ing people, makes me angry. I would love for these assholes to be locked in a small 6x6 room for the rest of their lives having to watch pictures of the families of the people they killed for the rest of their lives.

This.

So, they haven't found the shooter yet?

No. There was a woman accomplice who was driving and they found her. And I guess they released her: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jun/30/300943/driver-released-reward-increased-tampa-police-offi/

Picture of the suspect:

MorrisNEW_20100630070805_320_240.JPG

What a ****ing bastard. Deserves to spend the rest of his good for nothing life rotting away.

Should have accepted the consequences of the warrant... ****er. Now you're facing double homicide.

Aye though maybe he had done more stuff he wasn't suspected of and thought they were onto him. The asshole.

The guy definitely didn't shoot them over a bad check, he probably had killed someone else and thought it was about that, or had a shitload of drugs in his trunk or something... really sad though.

This is to sad. Police officers put their lives on the line everyday. Almost 100 police officers have died already this year, which is extremely high. Next time you decide to call a cop a pig or insult one, remember the sacrifice they make. Rest in peace, God bless your families.

I have mad respect for good cops. It's a rough and admirable job for those who do it right.

The guy definitely didn't shoot them over a bad check, he probably had killed someone else and thought it was about that, or had a shitload of drugs in his trunk or something... really sad though.

This. He obviously had done something else a LOT worse for him to have killed two officers. Still, he will likely be caught and thrown in jail for the rest of his life. Good riddance.

Update: This guy is now a suspect in three other murders, one over a man's backpack.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100701012

TAMPA — The man who allegedly killed two police officers during a traffic stop — and has evaded authorities for days — is also wanted in connection with three other killings, police said Thursday.
In one case, WTVT of Tampa reported 21-year-old Derek Anderson was shot and killed outside his family’s apartment on May 18 by someone who tried to steal his backpack.

Guy turned himself in yesterday: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/os-cop-suspect-caught-20100702,0,7403370.story

TAMPA, Florida -- A convicted felon accused of killing two Tampa police officers during a traffic stop surrendered after detectives spent more than a day negotiating with an associate of the man, police said Saturday.

Dontae Rashawn Morris, 24, turned himself in at a police station about 10:30 p.m. Friday, police said. He was charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of officers David Curtis and Jeffrey Kocab early Tuesday.

Back