Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might dish out $60 for this game, but I want the other two to be optional. I don't want to be dishing out another $120 for glorified expansion/stand-alone campaigns when I can still play multiplayer(really the only lasting part of the game) just fine.

I might dish out $60 for this game, but I want the other two to be optional. I don't want to be dishing out another $120 for glorified expansion/stand-alone campaigns when I can still play multiplayer(really the only lasting part of the game) just fine.

Blizzard has never really made insubstantial expansions... especially for their RTS games. The weakest one I can recall is either that Warcraft 2 expansion, which I didn't really play much, but he bit I did was kind of bland. Are they really going to be $60 though? I imagine them being cheaper, albeit not substantially. I figure it will work like Brood War did... but I can't remember how that worked. They did leave a lot of room for more units. Zerg especially feels limited in variety. Actually Protoss are somewhat in the same boat... though I may just be imagining things...

Blizzard has never really made insubstantial expansions... especially for their RTS games. The weakest one I can recall is either that Warcraft 2 expansion, which I didn't really play much, but he bit I did was kind of bland. Are they really going to be $60 though? I imagine them being cheaper, albeit not substantially. I figure it will work like Brood War did... but I can't remember how that worked. They did leave a lot of room for more units. Zerg especially feels limited in variety. Actually Protoss are somewhat in the same boat... though I may just be imagining things...

Not worried about Blizzard. Worried about Activision.

I remember getting Brood War at best buy for 20 or 30 bucks when it came out. Hopefully they're doing something similar with the two SC2 expansions... I'd much prefer to pay 30-40 for them instead of 60. Particularly as I'm getting the SC2 collector's edition which is 100 bucks right there.

At its current state, bnet 2.0 screams of catering to casual console players that have no clue how to even navigate through their basic operating system.

No chat, region lock, no lan, just to list a FEW of the problems.

I have a hard time seeing SC2 become popular in Korea.

At its current state, bnet 2.0 screams of catering to casual console players that have no clue how to even navigate through their basic operating system.

Really? A hard time seeing the sequel to the most popular game in the country becoming popular as well just because of some interface issues and no lan? Who still plays lan games regularly anyways? It's a minority, and even fewer are the people playing RTS games in lans. Battle.net chat has always been a place for spammers and pointless arguments...

I'm not sure what you mean by region lock, but I assume you mean playing with/against people in a certain region. It might be neat but I don't know why it would keep people from liking it. I like the interface. It's got what it needs.

I'm not sure what you mean by region lock, but I assume you mean playing with/against people in a certain region. It might be neat but I don't know why it would keep people from liking it. I like the interface. It's got what it needs.

Region-lock means you can ONLY play with people in the same region as you. One of the big controversies in multiplayer games these days, especially on the xbox.

Well we all know Koreans are at a much higher level of Starcraft than everyone else.

Exactly. They do it to keep us from interacting with people outside our skill level.

Welcome to Battle.net. It's safer here.

Maybe this is the game that makes e-sports big in America finally?

Time to play the "Break down the doomsday sayer" game.

No chat means it's catering to the "Casual"? That doesn't even make sense. If you'd have read any interviews from Blizzard lately, their big thing is they HATED how the chat system in SC1 was. It was just a place to spam and just become a waste. While not EVERY channel was like that, 99% were. They say they are going to be working on a better version of it *albeit, that may be the system we have now, but I still have no issue with it* I find what we have in beta to work just fine.

Region lock I can understand to a slight degree. And the reason I agree MAY be the reason they aren't/can't do it otherwise. They want the ladder system to be as lag free as possible. Playing with those in the same ping area *Sorry Australia, you have an ocean to float through...* is pretty lagless. Now, what would be nice if they let you join people in ANY realm through Custom Games. Now I'm not developer, but I'd imagine it would need quite a change in a few core parts of the game/code to do that.

No LAN I can see as being a little "upsetting" with a few people. You can play the SP offline after you FIRST activate with Battle.net. When you...wait a second....DEJA VU.....what other service says you can play SP games after you authenticate online....you can't play your game otherwise. I also seem to remember people complaining about it as loud, yet over the years it died down because people realized they were being retarded. What service was that...? Oh well.

And STFU about "Being popular in Korea". This game is meant to be popular EVERYWHERE, not just Korea like BW is. They want E-Sports to flourish all over, and I think they are doing a damn good job.

Now they need to release the game so I can play my ****ing single player.

I think that there should be a LAN option available, or at least being able to host a game off of the battle.net severs so if someone is having a tournament we don't get a repeat of what happened in the EU vs Asia tourney with TLO vs Sen.

Region-lock means you can ONLY play with people in the same region as you. One of the big controversies in multiplayer games these days, especially on the xbox.
It's not a controversy when you realise ping plays a major factor in this.
Games become more unbalanced the higher the ping difference there is between two players.

Time to play the "Break down the doomsday sayer" game.

No chat means it's catering to the "Casual"? That doesn't even make sense. If you'd have read any interviews from Blizzard lately, their big thing is they HATED how the chat system in SC1 was. It was just a place to spam and just become a waste. While not EVERY channel was like that, 99% were. They say they are going to be working on a better version of it *albeit, that may be the system we have now, but I still have no issue with it* I find what we have in beta to work just fine.

Region lock I can understand to a slight degree. And the reason I agree MAY be the reason they aren't/can't do it otherwise. They want the ladder system to be as lag free as possible. Playing with those in the same ping area *Sorry Australia, you have an ocean to float through...* is pretty lagless. Now, what would be nice if they let you join people in ANY realm through Custom Games. Now I'm not developer, but I'd imagine it would need quite a change in a few core parts of the game/code to do that.

No LAN I can see as being a little "upsetting" with a few people. You can play the SP offline after you FIRST activate with Battle.net. When you...wait a second....DEJA VU.....what other service says you can play SP games after you authenticate online....you can't play your game otherwise. I also seem to remember people complaining about it as loud, yet over the years it died down because people realized they were being retarded. What service was that...? Oh well.

And STFU about "Being popular in Korea". This game is meant to be popular EVERYWHERE, not just Korea like BW is. They want E-Sports to flourish all over, and I think they are doing a damn good job.

Now they need to release the game so I can play my ****ing single player.

The Korean thing is overused, but for a reason.

SC2 might become "popular" in western gamer standards, but to truly become an esport juggernaut, it NEEDS to appeal to Koreans. Frankly, westerners still see games as "lame, nerdy, just for entertainment, etc". The concept of competitive esport will NEVER penetrate the mainstream as Korea managed without a gigantic support of a preexisting esport empire such as, GASP Korea.

I have no doubt that SC2 will be an esport in the west (america and europe), but it will not have the backing of the east (europe and asia) without some SERIOUS changes.

I'll repeat it as many times as I have to. KOREA KOREA KOREA KOREA KOREA KOREA KOREA KOREA.

Concerning the region lock, it splits the communities. If they really want SC2 to be a global success of epic proportions, in both casual, and hardcores, there needs the existence for the different regions to interact via battle.net

Don't take this as if I am yelling doom at SC2. Cater to casuals or hardcores, it will succeed, but the matter of HOW it will succeed, how long it will last (lul BW), and what kind of impact it will have on the WORLD'S culture as BW had on Korea (global scale!) will be up in the air as to Blizzard sucking on the golden tit of casuals, rather than the long term investment of the hardcore route.

It is the hardcores that kept any game alive past its due, and created the esport scene, not the casuals that flock at the first few weeks of release.

EDIT: YES I HATE CASUALS. BUUURN IN HELLLL, THEY ARE KILLING THE INDUSTRY!!!!!

It's not a controversy when you realise ping plays a major factor in this.
Games become more unbalanced the higher the ping difference there is between two players.

I'm fine with it on ladder. But if they region lock it in custom games I will indeed be a bit mad.

*Sorry Australia, you have an ocean to float through...*
Well we're getting a South-Eastern Asia server which is a lot closer than most while still being culturally relevant so I have no issues with this so long as..

Now, what would be nice if they let you join people in ANY realm through Custom Games
Which Blizz sorta has the intention of doing:
Blizzard said:
"if you're a European player and you've got friends that are in another region that you want to be able to connect with, we definitely want to support that," although "it might mean that you have to access it through the US client."
although their plan isn't as integrated as I would like.

Maybe they're saving inter-continent play for Diamond league only?

Which Blizz sorta has the intention of doing:

Okay I didn't have the full quote:
But you're not excluding the possibility – you're just saying there are no current plans for it?

StarCraft 2There are no current plans for it, and if you're a European player and you've got friends that are in another region that you want to be able to connect with, we definitely want to support that. It might mean that you have to access it through the US client, but those facilities will definitely be available in terms of, if you want the US client, go to the US website, download the US client.

So I can use my same account?

No.

So I need to buy two clients, that's what you're saying?

Yeah.
http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/270/blizzards-frank-pearce-interview/2

That's really lame.

Catering to casuals? More worried about them catering to Activision.

I just lost my incentive to buy the game. Looks like Blizz has simply become another Activison company. Lame.

Yeah, the main reason I had to buy the game (play with hl2.netters) is now gone.

Eh, most of the people I Play with are US anyway....by the time I get home from work, everybody is logged off and I have to beg people over Steam to join.

So I'm not losing much....except Australia..they were moved to the Asia server...

I damned wish they didn't region lock WoW either, else I would have played on the Korean realms with my brethren.

Soooo.... no more going over to US servers for an easy time? Damn it.

I dunno why they couldn't just let you sign into bnet from another server. So weird.

I watched the Flash v. Jaedong finals last night. God damn.

Sounds to me like if you want to play in a different region, just sign up for that region initially so there's no making more than one account. Don't see what the big deal is.

And I caught the last game of WhiteRa Vs. NGAmaka today, and I believe that deserves a god damn as well. :p

Sounds to me like if you want to play in a different region, just sign up for that region initially so there's no making more than one account. Don't see what the big deal is.

And I caught the last game of WhiteRa Vs. NGAmaka today, and I believe that deserves a god damn as well. :p

Thing is, if you want to play in both North America and Europe(two places that have a lot of people from Hl2.net, and I personally have a lot of friends in Europe), you have to buy the game TWICE on two separate accounts.

And don't forget to buy a 3rd copy to play with Australians!

Battle.net 2.0 Terms of Use said:
User Content.
"User Content" means any communications, images, sounds, and all the material and information that you upload or transmit through a Game client or the Service, or that other users upload or transmit, including without limitation any chat text. You hereby grant Blizzard a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, paid-up, non-exclusive, license, including the right to sublicense to third parties, and right to reproduce, fix, adapt, modify, translate, reformat, create derivative works from, manufacture, introduce into circulation, publish, distribute, sell, license, sublicense, transfer, rent, lease, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, or provide access to electronically, broadcast, communicate to the public by telecommunication, display, perform, enter into computer memory, and use and practice such User Content as well as all modified and derivative works thereof. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, you hereby waive any moral rights you may have in any User Content.

Yeah...

I wonder how long it will be before they announce premium accounts. Also, why is Blizzard being shielded from criticism? Unless I am mistaken, Blizzard has complete control over their own IPs, everything going on right now from $25 mounts in World of Warcraft to the watering down of BNet2.0 has been the result of Blizzards own machinations.

I watched the Flash v. Jaedong finals last night. God damn.

Wait, you mean the Lee Jae Dong vs Lee Yeong Ho MSL finals?

Because I was at the stadium. Awesome games. Especially loved the last one.

Why is it that there are so many Lees I hear of in English, yet I don't know a single Korean IRL with Lee in their name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back