valve wants to make half-life movie themselves

I don't see why it has to be a movie at all. Something in the Half-life universe, sure, but surely not a straight adaptation of the games themselves. Hey, Gabe, where's my HL DLC?

Well they didn't say anything about straight adaptions of the games. If there was a Half-Life film I'd prefer it to be centred away from Gordon and, depending on when the film took place, focused on a group of Black Mesa personnel or rebels.

Well they didn't say anything about straight adaptions of the games. If there was a Half-Life film I'd prefer it to be centred away from Gordon and, depending on when the film took place, focused on a group of Black Mesa personnel or rebels.

This. Gordon would never work as a main character. Better to have him make a few brief cameos.

His appearances in Opposing Force were appreciated.

Blue Shift anyone?

Smart move indeed, Valve. The only team that can make a Half-Life movie happen is the team that can make Half-Life itself happen.

I would love it if the movie happens around the Seven-hour War or Half-Life 2 (non-Gordon, of cource). Keep it up I say.

I assume they would be doing this in Source and not live action. Valve aren't Hollywood directors. And in Source they could keep the series' main characters exactly how they are (voice and appearance).

they need to make a game that covers the events in between hl1 and hl2 and make the rest of the movies a trilogy

the only thing i'm concerned is that valve makes games.... movies aren't their chief expertise, and while the TF2 shorts are awesome, they're also very brief. A movie would be a huge leap in technical and writing demand. Should at least get some talented consultants.

I'd rather... see HL2 EP 3 ^_^ sooner

Kudos to Gabe for not selling the HL2 franchise short with a quick buck movie. I think if they collaborated with a good director and a flexible studio, they could pull it of fantastically. Remember that they could be considering the movie for the non-gaming (read: people-who-haven't-played-the-games) crowd, in which it would be a cinematic look at these exact events from the game.

As as long as M. Night Shmalananan doesn't direct it, everything will be fine. No wait, video GAEM movies never work - my fellow bro's. Movie adaptations on the other hand, rarely work.

This. Gordon would never work as a main character. Better to have him make a few brief cameos.

I disagree. Gordon's actions have been clearly defined in the game world and it highlights what kind of a person he is. It isn't difficult to apply a human personality to his character based on these actions.

If they did make a movie specifically about Gordon, however, my one hope would be that they would make the movie akin to an animation; i.e., I want all the same voice actors from the games themselves to voice their respective characters. If Valve's experiments with TF2 movies are any indication, an animation may be the case.

Of course, Breen's actor is dead if I recall...

Applying a human personality to his character is going to piss a lot of people off.

Then again not doing so would piss other people off.

My point is: This film existing will piss more people off than if it was never thought up of in the first place.

I disagree. Gordon's actions have been clearly defined in the game world and it highlights what kind of a person he is. It isn't difficult to apply a human personality to his character based on these actions.

If they did make a movie specifically about Gordon, however, my one hope would be that they would make the movie akin to an animation; i.e., I want all the same voice actors from the games themselves to voice their respective characters. If Valve's experiments with TF2 movies are any indication, an animation may be the case.

Of course, Breen's actor is dead if I recall...
Well if they set it in City 17 they could reuse the Breencasts from the game and not actually have him appearing in person. That is, assuming that you go with the random rebels perspective instead of a film following Gordon.

Back