with all these newcomers...

Lizardizzle

Space Core
Reaction score
With the announcement of Portal 2, I have noticed there's a huge influx of people joining our - well, to be honest - weird and not very friendly forum.

Due to the lack of "BIG NEWS" by valve for three years on things half-life (I don't count l4d), very few new people have joined, and we have been mostly hanging around the Off-Topic. Newcomers who don't understand our ways will quickly feel awkward, what with Willy and others acting mostly as though they have been here for years.

I think we need some sort of Welcoming Center section to the forums [again?]. This year, THIS YEAR, we are going to see Portal 2, the engineer update (maybe) and probably an announcement of Ep3 along with a little somethin' somethin' from valve relating to half life.

Unlike in the past two years, we haven't had much need for a welcoming place. The newcomers that could "pass the test of awkwardness" stayed and those who don't probably left.

I just think we need some sort of thread where newcomers can feel safe, while also expaining the ways of some of the old-timers.

Especially you willeh.

So, you're saying some kind of.. newbie forum?

A newbie forum, you say?

Hmm.

someone post the newbie hl2.net image.

i'm new, i made my account yesterday, i think it would be a good idea for a welcoming area

are u a gurl? ^_____________________^

There was a welcoming area? lol.

If I was here for longer than I have, I would say that the "newbies" should be given a baptism of fire tbh.

But that would end up in most of them being banned, so that's out of the question.

you are born to register on this forum and be known as newb... = LAME

Willie has already enjoyed the taste of infraction with regard to our new members, I would hope our vets chill out a bit more!

Let it be reminded that new community members are essential and we'd hope veteran members appreciate that. After all they could be the vets and staff of the future. We need the real fans to keep doing the good work of supporting those we bow to in Bellevue.

The newbie forum didn't work so great before but I suppose we can discuss it again if Pi has some new ideas how to deliver it.

someone post the newbie hl2.net image.

ahh yes... I saved it many moths ago for such an occasion!

typicalhello.png

i felt pretty welcome here my first run in. hlfallout was dead for a bit and it felt like home....hell it still feels like home here. anywhere you go thats new you feel that way. except for gametrailers.com, you really can school some people on there pretty easily

Willie has already enjoyed the taste of infraction with regard to our new members, I would hope our vets chill out a bit more!

Let it be reminded that new community members are essential and we'd hope veteran members appreciate that. After all they could be the vets and staff of the future. We need the real fans to keep doing the good work of supporting those we bow to in Bellevue.

The newbie forum didn't work so great before but I suppose we can discuss it again if Pi has some new ideas how to deliver it.
No increases to post count, restrict people from spamming and making shitposts, make it more user friendly?

That sounds like a pretty good idea, Chase.

I felt pretty welcome here (I think), and I've made friends and found my niche. I grew up quite a bit from being here (Or at least became more social), so it's a good thing. We need more membars.

In my first thread I got flamed by Pitz, but I was kinda asking for it.

Oh dear, what did you do?
Also, I can't find my first thread for the life of me. I *THINK* there was a newbie thread, though, so that may be why..

It was a thread about how I was scared of Ravenholm.

Kihihihi.

You should never take the piss out of geeks, as you'll inevitably end up working for one.

A newbie area though? I dont think its needed. Besides, I thought we already had one?

Newbies will be fine here, theres just a few weird apples taking them under their wings in the wrong manner, which I'm sure the staff here are on top of.

Ah just registered, and I'm starting to feel more comfortable here. Made a few posts, even pointed out to a Forum Moderator that he was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU&feature=related with a fact related to Half-Life 2 episodes... This place aint so bad after all :bounce:

Well, the only reason I came here was because SOMEONE :flame: decided to report me on the SteamForums for
Admitting / Advocating Software Piracy
I posted a question on the steam support page, and hopefully I will be able to be on both forums. I miss Mimaz and his rambling about Half-Life 2 stuff :rolling:... GOOD TIMES

Hopefully I'll become a part of the community :cheers: CHEERS !

I found most people here, unless your being a fag... then you get whats coming.
Maybe make a section where the norms of the forum are pointed out to people rather than shouted at them.

The newcomers that could "pass the test of awkwardness" stayed and those who don't probably left.

I'd call it "the test of rudeness to the point of abuse" but we don't have to quibble over terminology.

Good idea anywho, I feel sorry for anyone else who has to deal with the... well, hate, that some of the oldies here can dish out on unsuspecting newcomers.

Breen was wrong. It definitely is NOT safer here.

Actually one thing that I recommend newcomers should know is that if you have GordonFreeman in your name your going to cop alot of shit for it.

Thank god I got my name changed to JUL3, people seem to have forgotten who I was.

Ace you seem to perpetually disappoint me with your baffling and never-seemingly-related stuff like this.

Why do I get the feeling everyone who still posts stuf had 5,000 + posts... or am I not looking in the right place...

Try the Half Life 2 forums. People with lower post counts tend to reside there.

At least 98% of my posts happened in Off Topic.

Look at the join date instead. That'll make you even more surprised.

But what about those veterans that have been here since 2003 and only have a few k posts, or even less than 1k.

Saw someone the other day who joined in 2003 and had about 140 posts.

If you're a 2003 that automatically makes you better than everyone else. Even if you had a postcount of 1.

It even makes you better than staff that joined after 2003.

2003s are the Gods of this forum.

If you're a 2003 that automatically makes you better than everyone else. Even if you had a postcount of 1.

It even makes you better than staff that joined after 2003.

2003s are the Gods of this forum.

You know what the best kind of irony is? Enforced irony.

Back