You Guessed It...Portal 2 Delayed till April [UPDATED]

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
<div align="center"></div>
[br]
Here is the official press release from Doug Lombardi:
Valve today announced that Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that won over 30 game of the year awards, despite missing its original ship date, will now be available the week of April 18th, 2011. This two month slip not only marks the shortest delay in Valve's proud tradition of delays, it represents the approaching convergence of Valve Time and Real Time. Though this convergence spells doom for humanity, it will not affect the new Portal 2 release date.
You can forgive them though, as this announcement is titled "VALVE ANNOUNCES SHORTEST DELAY IN VALVE HISTORY". Have mercy![br]Update: Shacknews contacted Valve for specific dates regarding the 'week of April 18th', these are now confirmed as: North America and Australia - April 20th and Europe - April 22nd. It is not clear if this is for the retail & Steam release.

I didn't even know they had given Portal 2 a release date! What was it originally?

No the original date was scheduled to be 9th February 2011, this date was on the http://www.thinkwithportals.com/ website which is the Valve Portal 2 website. It now just says 'coming 2011' hah!

Also we have this date on our (relatively new) Portal 2 page which I wrote referencing Valve material - http://www.halflife2.net/portal-2 , so that requires an update tomorrow :p

One more delusion from Valve. And we are still talking about Ep3/HL3?
Please, don't tell me about care, polish, and so on. It's been ages since a new proper Valve game.

actually I prefer it like this; I just realised april 22nd is during the easter school hols, I'd rather that than in the middle of a school week. worth the wait.

I'm glad this is coming out a bit later. i wish all games came out like 10 years from now. I'm still trying to catch up on the 90's hits! :LOL:

Yay, Ep3 is released on April 18th!!!!

sarcastically joking

Damn, I forgot all about the whole "Valve Time" thing.

I laugh at your lack of inmunity to delays

Please, don't tell me about care, polish, and so on. It's been ages since a new proper Valve game.

I've given up all hope that I will see a new HL game in my lifetime.

the thing that sucks about it having a longer realease date...thats one more mnoth i have to wait for them to get off their lazy asses and make half life 2 episode 3!!!!

thats one more mnoth i have to wait for them to get off their lazy asses and make half life 2 episode 3!!!!

Two months. And the second half of April could mean the first week of May, I don't remember.

Care, polish and so on is what makes a proper Valve game. In any case it's been almost exactly a year since Left 4 Dead 2 came out but of course that's not a proper Valve game because some arbitrary bullshit reason you're about to come up with.

In any case it's been almost exactly a year since Left 4 Dead 2 came out but of course that's not a proper Valve game because some arbitrary bullshit reason you're about to come up with.

No, L4D2 is not what I call a proper Valve game. To be honest, and that's my personal opinion, Valve is a vastly over-rated company. I count three good games: Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2 and Portal. Not much.
Now you can flame me, but that's what I think.

No, L4D2 is not what I call a proper Valve game. To be honest, and that's my personal opinion, Valve is a vastly over-rated company. I count three good games: Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2 and Portal. Not much.
Now you can flame me, but that's what I think.
So your definition of "proper Valve game" is a game that Valve make that is to your particular tastes. Makes sense. Lets just count all the games Valve have made: HL1, HL2, EP1, EP2, HL2DM, TFC, TF2, CS, CS, DoD, DoDS, Portal, L4D, L4D2, Ricochet & DMC. Out of these 16 games (not even counting certain things like Alien Swarm) you like 3, or 5 if you were including the episodes in your pick. Apparently only 20 or 30% of the games Valve have made a proper Valve games. Get over yourself. Valve policy is not dictated by what you like and they have never been dedicated only to the Half-Life series.

So your definition of "proper Valve game" is a game that Valve make that is to your particular tastes. Makes sense.

Yes, it is. I can give you some more explanations: L4D, TF2 and the other multiplayer games from Valve are cheap and casual. A "proper" game, to me, is a deeper, more complex experience. Obviously I'm talking about my particular tastes. I'm the player. I have to like what I play.

Valve policy is not dictated by what you like and they have never been dedicated only to the Half-Life series.

I don't dictate. But I have the right to dislike, and I'm not afraid of criticizing Valve.

Why does the EU get it later? Usually we get it the same day as Australia at least. This makes me sad :(

Why does the EU get it later? Usually we get it the same day as Australia at least. This makes me sad :(

It sure is going to be fun trying to avoid spoilers for two entire days.

who here has watched the trailers like 120 times?? cuz I can't get enough of them

It comes out on April 20th now?

Play Portal 2 err'yday

valve push-back release dates are probably the one studios change of mind when it comes to releasing a title that i never seem to have any problem with. i know it'll be a good game, better even now that it's taking longer to come out.

pretty chill about this, but then i didn't actually know the original release date either...

I read the thread title in the Futurama "Tales Of Interest" voice.

YOU CAN'T UN-GUESS IT.

I'm going to do my best to keep off the internet once Portal 2 unlocks.

Back