40,000 canadians trapped in lebanon, 7 killed by israeli bombing

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
7 canadian citizens killed by israeli bombing ..7 members of the same family including 4 children aged 1 to 7

Reuters said:
Seven Canadians from the same Montreal family, including four young children, were killed in Lebanon on Sunday when Israeli aircraft bombed a house in the south of the country, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp said.

A Canadian foreign ministry spokeswoman confirmed the deaths and said three people were hurt. But she said the incident happened when the house in the town of Aitaroun was shelled.

Canadian Foreign Minister Peter MacKay said Ottawa was sending ships to help evacuate up to 40,000 Canadians believed to be in Lebanon.

the 7 killed were on vacation when israel bombing started last thursday.

Up to 40,000 canadians are trapped in lebanon with no way of leaving (airport runways, all major roads, bridges bombed by israeli forces) no way of communicating with the outside world ..the canadian emassy are talking to israels to allow evacuation of canadian citizens but with no infrastructure their only recourse is by sea ..israeli will not allow foreign ships to approach coastal ports

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/ne...RTRIDST_0_NEWS-MIDEAST-LEBANON-CANADA-COL.XML

Who cares about the Canadians when there's 25,000 Americans trapped over there!

On a more serious note, why would people have stuck around when it looked like Israel was going to attack? I think I'd have gotten out of there as quickly as possible. I guess an even better question is, why would you go to Lebanon in the first place?

I listened to reports from canadians who had relatives in lebanon (by tommorrow the radio program will be online so you can listen to it for yourself) ..they had no forewarning that israel would strike ..in one case a family sent their 12 year old son to visit relatives in lebanon ..obviously you wouldnt send children alone into a war zone

I guess an even better question is, why would you go to Lebanon in the first place?

Err, Lebanon, more specifically Beirut, is a big tourist destination now. Most people thought it's checkered past was behind it. I guess not. The Canadian PM agreed with Israel's action before this event. I wonder now that some of his own citizens have died how he'll change his stance?

probably not unless there's far more public outcry (it's growing, 2000 on parilament hill over the weekend) ..Harper a right wing conservative will probably follow bush's lead and support israel

On a more serious note, why would people have stuck around when it looked like Israel was going to attack? I think I'd have gotten out of there as quickly as possible. I guess an even better question is, why would you go to Lebanon in the first place?

No-one reasonable would have expected Israel to have reacted the way they have, their actions have been totally disproportionate. So foreigners in Lebanon can hardly be blamed for not seeing that this would develop the way it has.

you'd think they'd call a cease fire till foreign citizens are evacuated ..this could spark an international incident

So in essence, they are holding some 40k Canadians' hostage? Well, Canada should invade, and pound them with artillery and air strikes, turn abouts' fair play right...

(heh)

you'd think they'd call a cease fire till foreign citizens are evacuated ..this could spark an international incident

Would also give Hizbollah kidnappers enough time to bring the soldiers into Syria or Iran.
Reason everything is blockaded is so Hizbollah cant do that nor escape into Syria.
I also believe Europe (France in particular) is organising evacuations with the Israeli's and the Americans are evacuated seperatly.

On another vacation part, Lebannon apparantly is one of the most beautiful places in the Middle-East (even heard Israeli's say this).
Shame its going down the drain :(

Would also give Hizbollah kidnappers enough time to bring the soldiers into Syria or Iran.
Reason everything is blockaded is so Hizbollah cant do that nor escape into Syria.

I really couldnt care less if hezbollah escaped ..during humanitarian evacuations the civilians should always come first that's the only thing I'm concerned about

Attachments

• lloyd_bridges.jpg
    lloyd_bridges.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 287
I really couldnt care less if hezbollah escaped ..during humanitarian evacuations the civilians should always come first that's the only thing I'm concerned about

Yeah, which means Hezbollah too, since theyre techinically civilians and/or love to mix with them :)

Way to go Hezbollah for creating yet another shithole :cheers:

Hmmm the president says:

lol! ...PM Harper to the president: "We have oil"

Yeah, which means Hezbollah too, since theyre techinically civilians and/or love to mix with them :)

Way to go Hezbollah for creating yet another shithole :cheers:

so in other words the israelis are not to blame and lebonese civilians are getting what they deserve?

lol! ...PM Harper to the president: "We have oil"

so in others the israelis are not to blame and lebonese civilians are getting what they deserve?

Ya know, I never really noticed until now, but my god man, bush and bridges could be blood related they looks so similar lol... And it just now hit me, I think he says "in a pigs ear" in the movie ah well :p

so in other words the israelis are not to blame and lebonese civilians are getting what they deserve?

No, the israeli's are taking this way out of proportion, but the aggressor (Hezbollah) shares the biggest load of the blame.

the aggressor? they kidnapped 2 soldiers ..why should civilians pay for their crimes? ...it's like sentencing a person to death for jaywalking. They could have easily negotiated release like they've done in the past

the aggressor? they kidnapped 2 soldiers ..why should civilians pay for their crimes? ...it's like sentencing a person to death for jaywalking. They could have easily negotiated release like they've done in the past

Kidnapping is not aggression?.. :angel: Israel should just lean back and do nothing to protect its people?
Negotiate with terrorists???
No country would do that. You act like its "nothing".

Its not for nothing the UN urges Hezbollah to disarm, they're a threat to the entire region, a puppet organisation orchestrated by Syria and Iran.
Lebanese civilians are suffering because Hezbollah chooses to hide/setup office amongst them (like their headquarters in the middle of Beirut!).

Kidnapping is not aggression?.. :angel: Israel should just lean back and do nothing to protect its people? Negotiate with terrorists???

they've negotiated successfully numerous times. This is an excuse because their actions have most certainly condemned the soldiers to death

No country would do that. You act like its "nothing".

it is "nothing" they're soldiers, they know the risk ..Israel kidnaps "suspected" terrorists on a regular basis

Its not for nothing the UN urges Hezbollah to disarm, they're a threat to the entire region, a puppet organisation orchestrated by Syria and Iran.
Lebanese civilians are suffering because Hezbollah chooses to hide/setup office amongst them (like their headquarters in the middle of Beirut!).

again how does it justify killing civilians? how does incinerating a wide swath killing dozens of civilians just to take out a few "suspected" militants justifiable? they are the aggressor here ..they have entered into a situation that will lead to widespread attacks against Israel and it's allies for generations to come

they've negotiated successfully numerous times. This is an excuse because their actions have most certainly condemned the soldiers to death

Negotiating with terrorists is not on the agenda. And when they did it in the past Syria was keen to "take care" of the captives (which is what they're preventing now).
If the Hezbollah kills the soldiers, they will most certainly face the anger of the UN who is urging the Lebaneze to return the soldiers.
They wont get killed, they're a political tool now.

it is "nothing" they're soldiers, they know the risk ..Israel kidnaps "suspected" terrorists on a regular basis

Ah, now i get it. Israel should indeed sit back as Hezbollah commits acts of war, kidnapping soldiers, and terrorizes northern Israel with over 10k rockets.
Who cares? they're just jews aye.

again how does it justify killing civilians? how does incinerating a wide swath killing dozens of civilians just to take out a few "suspected" militants justifiable? they are the aggressor here ..they have entered into a situation that will lead to widespread attacks against Israel and it's allies for generations to come

Killing civilians? you make it act as if Israel is executing civilians.
They're bombing Hezbollah strongholds which happen to be (surprise surprise) in residential areas.
They're also paralizing Lebannon's infrastructure to paralise Hezbollah's capabilities.
Considering this, its no surprise civilians are getting hit in the process (alla collateral damage).
Germany almost got destroyed during the process of removing the Nazi's as did Poland and other European countries. The responsibility for those deaths (even though many bombs came from the Allies), were the Nazi's, this is no different...

UN is debating sending an international taskforce to Lebannon to ensure Hezbollah's disarming.
Doesnt sound like many blame Israel for this situation.

Hezbollah guerrillas sparked the crisis last week when they crossed from southern Lebanon into Israel in a raid that killed three Israeli soldiers and led to the kidnapping of two others.

You could say Israel's reaction is out of proportion, but they are certainly not the aggressor.

They're bombing Hezbollah strongholds which happen to be (surprise surprise) in residential areas.
They're also paralizing Lebannon's infrastructure to paralise Hezbollah's capabilities.
Considering this, its no surprise civilians are getting hit in the process (alla collateral damage).
Germany almost got destroyed during the process of removing the Nazi's as did Poland and other European countries. The responsibility for those deaths (even though many bombs came from the Allies), were the Nazi's, this is no different...

bombs are a lot more accurate these days, so it's very different, if terrorists are hiding in residental areas, then Israel should not be using bombs, they have a vastly superior land force, why not use that.

stern, terrorism flourishes because of people like you. you're soft, thats why they are allowed to operate. "ohh we'll just open the borders so the poor poor refugees can get out. and foreign nationals can get in and **** us up." **** that. im glad you will never be running your countries government or military, they'd be a big bunch of pussies.

bombs are a lot more accurate these days, so it's very different, if terrorists are hiding in residental areas, then Israel should not be using bombs, they have a vastly superior land force, why not use that.
because then you have an insurgency and even more people die.

that's not true, insurgencies happen during occupations, not military raids

Military raids don't use lots of vastly superior land forces.

that's not true, insurgencies happen during occupations, not military raids
what do you think would happen if israel OCCUPIED lebanon with ground troops? and yes, they can happen with military raids. why risk urban fighting when you can just bomb houses. screw the collateral damage, if i was israel i would rather they died than my troops.
And it exists in the first place because of people like you.
ya cause im the one suicide bombing and terrorizing israel

screw the collateral damage, if i was israel i would rather they died than my troops.

Thats exactly what every nation thinks.

Military raids don't use lots of vastly superior land forces.

don't be pedantic, military incursion then...

what do you think would happen if israel OCCUPIED lebanon with ground troops? and yes, they can happen with military raids. why risk urban fighting when you can just bomb houses. screw the collateral damage, if i was israel i would rather they died than my troops.

They don't need to occupy lebanon, an insurgency won't happen during raids that will take a matter of days, yes hezbollah will probably fight back, but one of the most advanced armies in the world that have tanks that RPGs bounce off, should be able deal with them on a short term basis. Works in Palestine...

don't be pedantic, military incursion then...
Well, you see, raids are fast. Fast as in a day or two's work. And with relatively smaller forces. There is not enough 'occupation' to start an insurgency with a raid.

But when you use the vastly superior land force, its not a raid anymore.

Negotiating with terrorists is not on the agenda. And when they did it in the past Syria was keen to "take care" of the captives (which is what they're preventing now).
If the Hezbollah kills the soldiers, they will most certainly face the anger of the UN who is urging the Lebaneze to return the soldiers.
They wont get killed, they're a political tool now.

or a justification for invasion

Ah, now i get it. Israel should indeed sit back as Hezbollah commits acts of war, kidnapping soldiers, and terrorizes northern Israel with over 10k rockets.

why not? they've negotiated in the past why is this any different?

very effective way of debating Vince ..throw in that age old excuse of anti-semitism and no one would dare disagree right? utter blind siding bullshit (excuse my anger but that was a low blow) ...I really dont give a **** what they are

yes the are ..by dropping bombs in highly concentratyed areas they are executing innocent men, women and children

ya you believe whatever the hell you want to, regardless if accurate or not:

CBC said:
Fifteen people, including a number of children, died Saturday in an Israeli air strike in southern Lebanon ....Those killed were fleeing the village of Marwaheen in two vehicles that were travelling along a coastal road

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/07/15/israel-lebanon.html?ref=rss

I'm sure there's plenty of other examples ...like the topic of this thread

warcrimes against Article 51, 52, 54, 57 Protocol 1 of the geneva conventions

Considering this, its no surprise civilians are getting hit in the process.

many saw that as a war crime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II#Was_the_bombing_a_war_crime.3F

UN is debating sending an international taskforce to Lebannon to ensure Hezbollah's disarming.
Doesnt sound like many blame Israel for this situation.

ummm could it be because hezbollah is a militia? and not controlled by lebanon? The UN recognises that lebanon doesnt have the means/will to disarm hezbollah

You could say Israel's reaction is out of proportion, but they are certainly not the aggressor.

that's your opinion, doesnt mean it's the correct one ..Israel wants lebanon to control hezbollah ...by bombing it's civilian populace back into the stone age ...how is that NOT an act of aggression?

btw:

Reuters said:
Israel's campaign has killed 179 people, all but 13 of them civilians, and wounded more than 500. It has also destroyed much of Lebanon's civilian infrastructure. Twenty-four Israelis have been killed in the fighting, including 12 civilians hit in rocket attacks.

seems disporportionate dont you think?

http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/new...L17714117_RTRUKOC_0_UK-MIDEAST-UN-EGELAND.xml

stern, terrorism flourishes because of people like you. you're soft, thats why they are allowed to operate.

yes because before the US invaded Iraq it was teeming full of terrorists attacking the US at every turn right? just because you're an idiot in real life doesnt mean you have to play one online

edit: shit meant to edit

Wow, 166 are civs and 13 are hezbollah militants. GG on the "precision" bomb drops.

I wont take you seriously from now on. Just thought i'd let you know.

Trying to make it look like stern or anyone else actually brought that into consideration makes you look very stupid indeed.

yes because before the US invaded Iraq it was teeming full of terrorists attacking the US at every turn right? just because you're an idiot in real life doesnt mean you have to play one online
oops were not talking about iraq. dumbass. why cant you keep on topic even once. i know they all "look the same" but they are actually very different people stern.

oops were not talking about iraq. dumbass. why cant you keep on topic even once. i know they all "look the same" but they are actually very different people stern.

heh poor attempt at turning the tables ..wit is not your forte gh0st ..probably because it relies on sophistication ..which you lack

anyways the analogy is accurate, not my fault you cant think laterally (probably come in handy when you're deployed into some foreign hotspot as a soldier/meat shield/cannon fodder ..good luck)

Both of you guys' last posts don't make any sense. gh0st because of
i know they all "look the same" but they are actually very different people stern.

And Stern's because of
anyways the analogy is accurate, not my fault you cant think laterally (probably come in handy when you're deployed into some foreign hotspot as a soldier/meat shield/cannon fodder ..good luck)

Yeah, anyway, not something to joke about.

this coming from the guy who said Hitler had the right idea

numbers I'm sure gh0st will agree with me when I say ...butt out

this coming from the guy who said Hitler had the right idea

Uh huh. j/k means Just Kidding, btw, since you don't seem to know.

And I think gh0st would agree more to you shutting up. Yeah.

Back