40,000 canadians trapped in lebanon, 7 killed by israeli bombing

Harper said:
Officials said only Harper's wife, Laureen, and a couple of his communications staff and his official photographer, will fly to Cyprus with him.
seems like he could rescue one more person but i guess the good publicity is worth it.

what? cyprus isnt lebanon ..they'll be out of harms way by the time they sail into cyprus ..not that that would change anything ..since when do world leaders fly on commercial flights?

btw it will take up to 2 weeks to evacuate all 40,000 canadians

Anyone else take a quick look at the title of this thread recently? Notice the '7 Canadians killed' part? Not enough discussion occuring about that, me thinks.

The fact Harper isn't in the least bit outraged has to make people wonder.

oh but israel apologised so now it's all better

"wha you bombed us?"
"sorry, we'll try not to kill any more in the near future"
"oh ok, as long as your sorry"

At least we don't fight them.

Who's 'we'? Civilians? Even in developed, stable countries, non-military people are involved in the current global conflict, as non-combative victims of the asymetrical warfare that is becoming the norm. Big rich nations don't go to war against each other any more. The biggest security threat to people in developed countries is attack by non-government groups often unaligned to any particular state. Nuclear weapons can't keep us safe from them, when we haven't got a city of terrorists to drop a nuke on. So you have no argument for nuclear weapons making us safe in the modern era.

FYI, it is economic interdependence that prevent developed nations attacking each other, not the threat of nuclear weapons.

what? cyprus isnt lebanon ..they'll be out of harms way by the time they sail into cyprus ..not that that would change anything ..since when do world leaders fly on commercial flights?

btw it will take up to 2 weeks to evacuate all 40,000 canadians

the article says he's kicking everyone not necessary off his plane, but left his photographer on board so he can get some great publicity shots. seems like that seat is of far more value to someone stuck in lebanon.. you dumbass.

the article says he's kicking everyone not necessary off his plane, but left his photographer on board so he can get some great publicity shots. seems like that seat is of far more value to someone stuck in lebanon.. you dumbass.

are you truely that naive? do you honestly think that there's no one on the plane but the pilot, the Prime minister and 120 refugees? :LOL: of course there's going to be plenty of photo ops ..he's the freakin leader of canada. I dont see why you even brought that up except maybe to goad me a bit by implying something or other ..well you should probably pay attention because I dont particularly like him very much

his plane will take off from CYPRUS not lebanon

oh and try to pay attention in geography class ..Cyprus is NOT lebanon

seems like that seat is of far more value to someone stuck in lebanon.. you dumbass.

:LOL: who's the dumbass gh0st?

CBC said:
Harper said he will try to bring back as many as 120 Canadians using the Canadian Forces plane that took him to Europe last week.

About 250 Canadians are expected to arrive in Cyprus from Lebanon early Thursday on the first of seven chartered ships. Ottawa has chartered a second plane to take home the people who don't fit on Harper's plane.

yes and even though you are cleary correct here stern, its your fault some how that he (gh0st) was wrong, because you support terrorsts or something. (i'll just go ahead and respond, and save him the trouble) hehe

um stern, when someone lives in canada, being "stuck" in lebanon and "stuck" in cyprus is pretty similar, dont you think. you still are stuck away from home, and your precious prime minister wasted a seat for a photo-op to "rescue" stuck canadians. just seems a little selfish, thats all. kind of like when geraldo pushed rescuers aside to get at the katrina victim.

and yes, as much as it devastates you, i am fully aware cyprus is not lebanon.

Canada has a Prime Minister, not a president. second, politicians are still politicians, they can do the most wonderful things but if there no one there to see/record it the populace won't give a rats arse.

Who's 'we'? Civilians? Even in developed, stable countries, non-military people are involved in the current global conflict, as non-combative victims of the asymetrical warfare that is becoming the norm. Big rich nations don't go to war against each other any more. The biggest security threat to people in developed countries is attack by non-government groups often unaligned to any particular state. Nuclear weapons can't keep us safe from them, when we haven't got a city of terrorists to drop a nuke on. So you have no argument for nuclear weapons making us safe in the modern era.

FYI, it is economic interdependence that prevent developed nations attacking each other, not the threat of nuclear weapons.

We as in you, me, your neigbors, my neigbors....

I'm saying that nukes are preventing the big rich countries from going to war with one another.

That's quite incorrect, as I already pointed out. Think about how many of the world's richest countries are in Europe. Not many of them have nuclear weapons. None of them have had any conflict since WW2.

Because they're allied with nations who have nukes.

being "stuck" in lebanon and "stuck" in cyprus is pretty similar, dont you think.

Barring the aerial bombardment of Lebanon that Israel has so intelligently and carefully decided to pursue, I can see how this statement is true.

um stern, when someone lives in canada, being "stuck" in lebanon and "stuck" in cyprus is pretty similar, dont you think.

yes the only difference is the threat of death, but that's not a big deal right? ..ya pretty similiar :upstare:

you still are stuck away from home, and your precious prime minister wasted a seat for a photo-op to "rescue" stuck canadians. just seems a little selfish, thats all. kind of like when geraldo pushed rescuers aside to get at the katrina victim.

lol "my precious prime minister" ..your pitiful attempts at goading me into anger over your suggestion that he cares more about photo ops than saving lives is just that ...pitiful. Maybe he should also eject his aids, translators, secret service, flight crew ..maybe he should just fly the freakin plane himself so as to accomodate as many evacuees as possible :LOL:

and yes, as much as it devastates you, i am fully aware cyprus is not lebanon.

seems to me not having a grasp of geography is more devasting to you than to me :angel:

lol "my precious prime minister" ..your pitiful attempts at goading me into anger over your suggestion that he cares more about photo ops than saving lives is just that ...pitiful. Maybe he should also eject his aids, translators, secret service, flight crew ..maybe he should just fly the freakin plane himself so as to accomodate as many evacuees as possible :LOL:

He'd get a 10 in my book if he did that.

well he'd be putting them in danger needlessly ..cyprus is a tourist destination, compared to where they just came from it's heaven on earth

Because they're allied with nations who have nukes.

Allied, on the same side. With economic, diplomatic and a certain level of political unity, there's no territorial rivalry any more. There wouldn't be any war without the 'protection' of nuclear weapons, because we all have far too much to lose. What you're suggesting is equivalent to saying the US and Canada don't go to war because of America's nuclear arsenal.

Back