8.8 earthquake hits japan, followed by tsunamis

Why is Jap a derogatory term, btw? I use Jap. because I'm too lazy to type Japanese every time I have to use that word. It doesn't seem to have any negative connotations to the term, unlikes chinks, gooks, and whatever things you call foreign people.

Why is Jap a derogatory term, btw? I use Jap. because I'm too lazy to type Japanese every time I have to use that word. It doesn't seem to have any negative connotations to the term, unlikes chinks, gooks, and whatever things you call foreign people.

Shortened terms often become pejorative over time. It's like the word 'Paki'. That used to be just a shortened word for Pakistani, like Brit is to Britons (which isn't considered racist in the slightest) until people started using it as an insult.

It's a shame really.

Yeah, I mean, as far as I know, Brit and Aussie isn't considered racist. Then why Jap, Paki, etc. :/

I hate people.

I dunno about Jap but I can tell you the reason Paki became racist is because people started using it to describe all people of Indian descent despite whether they came from Pakistan or not along with using terms like "Paki Shop" for corner shops and "Paki dots" for the Bindhi (the spiritual marks many Indians and others place on their foreheads). All sorts of stuff like that.

Yeah, Aussie is another one I thought of not considered racist after I posted. :p

Anyway, yes. People are stupid.

Well in WW2 americans would often refer to the Japanese as "the japs" and it wasn't in a positive context.

Well in WW2 americans would often refer to the Japanese as "the japs" and it wasn't in a positive context.

I think if we went to war with the Americans, I doubt that we would use American in a positive context, and vice-versa.

Only there's no workaround for that, they ARE Americans. The Japanese don't have to be known as Japs.

They're derogatory because that's how they've been used, extensively, in the past. Same with any racial slur.

I thought that Nips was the more common derogatory term? Or was that only with the British forces?

Also Numbers, since you are Korean anything you say about the Japanese is racist, and the same goes for anything they say about Koreans.:p

Reactor 3 building is almost completely destroyed

795434.jpg

Workers evacuated from Fukushima-Daichi once more as black smoke is seenhttp://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia...kers-evacuated-from-Japan-nuclear-plant-again

Black/Grey smoke means the materials haven't cooled as the MSM is claiming. It means they're ****in melting down

**** that sucks. where's Bob the Builder when you need him?

The smoke stopped hours ago.

Oh ok. I guess they cooled down by themselves.

Oh ok. I guess they cooled down by themselves.

because it was confirmed that the smoke was coming from nuclear materials in meltdown? State your source.

Why would the workers be evacuated if it wasn't smoke from burning/melting nuclear materials? The fuel rods were exposed in several of these reactors for hours and hours without any coolant, they have absolutely no control over the situation.

Interestingly, the Japanese building sector is set to profit from all the reconstruction work. Guess one man's natural disaster is another man's money making machine.

Why would the workers be evacuated if it wasn't smoke from burning/melting nuclear materials? The fuel rods were exposed in several of these reactors for hours and hours without any coolant, they have absolutely no control over the situation.

That's not citing a source, that's just your speculation. At this stage, evacuating the workers when there's any kind of incident is prudent.

That's not citing a source, that's just your speculation. At this stage, evacuating the workers when there's any kind of incident is prudent.
Like if radiation levels spiked when grey/black smoke appeared, for instance?

I think you're missing the point there Mogi.

The point was that you need to cite sources to be credible. If its your speculation you should say so, citing available information and a logical flow as to why you think this is so.

I don't give a shit about credibility, numbers. It's the most logical explanation for the origin of the smoke, we have prior evidence that the rods were left exposed for hours and hours. In order to cool these reactors they would have to be pumping water nonstop for days on end. There have been several breaks in their efforts to douse the materials with water, which means that heat has been continously building up.

I don't give a shit about credibility, numbers. It's the most logical explanation for the origin of the smoke, we have prior evidence that the rods were left exposed for hours and hours. In order to cool these reactors they would have to be pumping water nonstop for days on end. There have been several breaks in their efforts to douse the materials with water, which means that heat has been continously building up.

You should give a shit about credibility if you want to be taken seriously. So far, it's just you shouting about how the sky is falling.

Simple facts: smoke was seen coming from building #3. Workers were evacuated as a precaution. Smoke later stopped. That's it. Nothing about nuclear material in meltdown. Plus, you know, it stopped.

From BBC News:

The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission - whose staff are in Tokyo conferring with the Japanese government and industry officials - said the Japanese nuclear crisis appeared to be stabilising.

The NRC said that reactors 1, 2 and 3 had some core damage but their containment was not currently breached.

Don't take me seriously then. There was previous evidence of materials melting down, can they or can they not cool down on their own in a matter of days? Furthermore can they be cooled down by dropping seawater on them for a few hours at a time? How, in any way, is the nuclear crisis stabilizing?

From Reuters:
"There were earlier partial meltdowns of the fuel rods at both the No. 1 and the No. 3 reactors, where the explosions had occurred, and a TEPCO official described the situation in the No. 2 reactor was even worse than in the other units."

US Military considers mandatory evacuation from Japan: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/21/japan.military.evacuation/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

Water in one of the fuel pools is boiling. Does not specify which:

Don't take me seriously then. There was previous evidence of materials melting down, can they or can they not cool down on their own in a matter of days? Furthermore can they be cooled down by dropping seawater on them for a few hours at a time? How, in any way, is the nuclear crisis stabilizing?

Obviously not. Maybe, just maybe, it's due to the constant ongoing efforts to keep them cool? From the airborne water drops, to the cranes and fire engines, to the reconnecting of the power to the pumps. That's what they mean by stabilising. As in, it's not getting visibly worse.

I'd rather deal with the actual facts rather than wildly speculate on information that comes frequently out of context - "Smoke coming from the reactor building! This can only mean that the rods are in full meltdown!"

What facts? All I saw was a quote from BBC news that said that the situation was stabilizing without providing any numbers or actual information. Why would the military be considering a mandatory evacuation if the situation was getting under control?

Also. The NRC is full of shit, because containment for reactor 2 is certainly breached.http://www.bellona.org/articles/articles_2011/apparent_breach

What facts? All I saw was a quote from BBC news that said that the situation was stabilizing without providing any numbers or actual information. Why would the military be considering a mandatory evacuation if the situation was getting under control?

All I saw was an unattributed quote:

CNN said:
The official, who did not want to be on the record talking about ongoing deliberations
Doesn't really constitute "facts" either, does it?

It is most likely safe to assume that the reactors has suffered some partial melting of their fuel rods and that is probably as bad as it will get.

Most recent news I heard is that conditions are improving at the site, power cables have been hooked up to all the reactors, though they haven't gotten the electricity running into all of the reactors yet.

The second link doesn't say anything about Reactor #1. It's just saying the same as the first link.

Back