Assange demands investigation over leaked police reports

Bob_Marley

Tank
Reaction score
The WikiLeaks founder — no stranger to the leaking of documents — cries foul as humiliating details of his alleged sexual assaults are leaked to the British media

After police reports on his alleged sex crimes in Sweden were leaked to The Guardian over the weekend, Assange's lawyers demanded an official investigation

link

:LOL:

Granted, it is probably someone being a bit of a ****, but it makes for a good chuckle.

I'll reserve judgement until he makes a statement himself, not just his lawyer.

kinda shitty that Assange gets far more press than the contents of the leaked documents. the public is to blame for having short attention spans, craving spectacle over journalism and for falling for the media's smoke screen attempts at making him the bigger issue

The mainstream media did a pretty good job of making it seem like they were leaking a bitchy 14 year old girl's BBS though. The cables were barely a step away from calling Angela Merkel a tramp and suggesting that Chavez was secretly a predatory paedophile posing as a young schoolgirl from Nantucket.

only 1% has been leaked. surely they cant keep this up when the rest of the 99% is leaked

Yes, it is ironic that a man who leaked documents revealing government cover-ups of atrocities they've committed, has a document leaked that he is "the world's worst screw."

Oh, actually, it isn't ironic. For multiple reasons, the least of which is that the very definition of irony makes this not ironic. The fact that the document says hes "the world's worst screw" just screams "smear campaign" all the louder.

Maybe the thinking goes, he's so bad at sex that it's tantamount to rape?

Yes, it is ironic that a man who leaked documents revealing government cover-ups of atrocities they've committed, has a document leaked that he is "the world's worst screw."

Oh, actually, it isn't ironic. For multiple reasons, the least of which is that the very definition of irony makes this not ironic. The fact that the document says hes "the world's worst screw" just screams "smear campaign" all the louder.

I believe that this does fit the definition of irony:
# (colloquial) The quality or state of an event being both coincidental and contradictory in a humorous or poignant and extremely improbable way.
Sauce.

I find it both contradictory and humorous, though calling the leak poignant or improbable is a stretch.

I think the outcry here would possibly be about leaking something genuine which is in fact simply fabricated.

Sauce.

I find it both contradictory and humorous, though calling the leak poignant or improbable is a stretch.

Don't bring literal definitions here. This forum is not a place for literal meaning. You just have to adapt to contrived definitions that suit a specific argument and accept it.

the real story here is that he slept with the world's most prolific sluts

Does anyone else really like his name? It's so pleasant. Sometimes it pops into my head when I'm doing something else and I'll just repeat it back to myself for a while.

Julian Assange. Julian Assange. Julian Assange.

Sorry what were we talking about

sounds like a character in No One Lives Forever. needs monocle, derby hat and walking cane

Lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/22/cia-wikileaks-taskforce-wtf

WTF? OMG, LOL! CIA gives WikiLeaks taskforce naughty name

The CIA has launched a taskforce to assess the impact of 250,000 leaked US diplomatic cables. Its name? WikiLeaks Task Force, or WTF for short.

The group will be charged with scouring the released documents to survey damage caused by the disclosures. One of the most embarrassing revelations was that the US state department had drawn up a list of information it would like on key UN figures – it later emerged the CIA had asked for the information.

"Officially, the panel is called the WikiLeaks Task Force. But at CIA headquarters, it's mainly known by its all-too-apt acronym: WTF," the Washington Post reported.

Yup, WTF indeed.

The CIA has launched a taskforce to assess the impact of 250,000 leaked US diplomatic cables. Its name? WikiLeaks Task Force, or WTF for short.
:LOL:

Sauce.

Don't bring literal definitions here. This forum is not a place for literal meaning. You just have to adapt to contrived definitions that suit a specific argument and accept it.

Apparently neither of you know what colloquial means. It means people keep using the word wrong and it doesn't actually mean what they think it is, but people keep using it still.

Apparently neither of you know what colloquial means. It means people keep using the word wrong and it doesn't actually mean what they think it is, but people keep using it still.

It day be the fifth definition from dictonary.com but -
an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

To be one who regularly spreads the private information of others then to wish for your private information to not be spread seems to be an event contrary to what might have been expected.

Irony is often used incorrectly, but this situation could easily be defined as ironic. English is fun!

What does dictionary.com say about smear campaign?

And yeah, how dare Assange be upset about this smear campaign against him?

1. (linguistics) Denoting a manner of speaking or writing that is characteristic of familiar conversation; informal.
2. Of or pertaining to a conversation; conversational or chatty.
Sauce.
Colloquial is curiously lacking in your definition.

What does dictionary.com say about smear campaign?

And yeah, how dare Assange be upset about this smear campaign against him?

I do not dispute his right to be upset, nor do I claim it isn't a smear campaign, but that does not bar me from thinking it's ironic and funny.

Why is it relevant that this might be a smear campaign as to whether or not this is ironic? He's a leaker of information who is against this leaking of information. That's irony. Why he is opposed to this leak and whether or not he's right is irrelevant.

Am I the only one who's still confused why Wikileaks and Julian Assange are getting all this attention? I mean, I get the significance of this whole situation, but why Wikileaks? The only one who has done anything of importance (good or bad, I leave that up to you) is Bradley Manning, Wikileaks is just playing host here, it might as well have been a torrent uploaded to The Pirate Bay. That would've at least saved us a lot of dumb media hype.

It's very relevant. It's not that he is against releasing information, from what I recall he wanted all the evidance in this case to come out and be seen to everyone. But that's not what is happening. They are leaking certain information such as "he is the worst screw ever (according to these 2 dirty sluts)" but information that shows how weak the case against him actually is remains hidden.

You can call that irony if you find that ironic, I just don't see what's ironic about that. He has insisted that he wants all information to come out, not just certain bits that make him look bad. Which is perfectly consistent with what wikileaks claims it's mission statement to be.

lol the libfags on this forum are amusing.
I'd be mad to if someone leaked info like that about me,but yeah i can see why people think it's kinda funny/ironic.

Colloquial definitions make sentences like "Yo dawg whaddup?" perfectly acceptable English. Which it isn't.

And anyone who really though "I bet Assange will never ever have personal information about him leaked to the public" is a god damn fool. My dad was making jokes about it the second he learned Assange had been arrested. Therefore, I hold to my statement that the incident is not ironic, for several reasons.

Tha's coo dawg, tha's coo.

Seriously, though, you haven't done anything to back up that statement. As an internet forum user your ethos isn't exactly impregnable. Here, how about I go get a source that directly disproves your claim!
col·lo·qui·al
? ?/k??lo?kwi?l/ Show Spelled[kuh-loh-kwee-uhl] Show IPA
–adjective
1. characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing; informal.
2. involving or using conversation.
Use colloquial in a Sentence
See images of colloquial
Search colloquial on the Web
Origin:
1745–55; colloquy

—Related forms
col·lo·qui·al·ly, adverb
col·lo·qui·al·ness, col·lo·qui·al·i·ty, noun
qua·si-col·lo·qui·al, adjective
qua·si-col·lo·qui·al·ly, adverb
sem·i·col·lo·qui·al, adjective
sem·i·col·lo·qui·al·ly, adverb
un·col·lo·qui·al, adjective
un·col·lo·qui·al·ly, adverb

—Synonyms
1, 2. Colloquial, conversational, informal refer to types of speech or to usages not on a formal level. Colloquial is often mistakenly used with a connotation of disapproval, as if it meant “vulgar” or “bad” or “incorrect” usage, whereas it is merely a familiar style used in speaking and writing. Conversational refers to a style used in the oral exchange of ideas, opinions, etc.: an easy conversational style. Informal means without formality, without strict attention to set forms, unceremonious: an informal manner of speaking; it describes the ordinary, everyday language of cultivated speakers.

—Antonyms
1. formal.
Sauce.

See the part in bold?

I usually avoid dictionary.com because it's a morass of ads, but you made me go find the entry. I believe you meant vulgar or common usage.

By my earlier quoted definition of irony, I can find it ironic. You do not have to, since one of the conditions is humorous. I guess, after all, irony is in the eye of the beholder.

I still don't get what you find ironic about it. He wants all the information in regards to this case released. In what way does that contradict what wikileaks says they stand for?

This could be a really entertaining topic, but you guys managed to make it super lame by arguing over the dictionary.

Seriously, though, you haven't done anything to back up that statement.

I still refuse to accept! The Wiktionary site is not a legitimate authority, and no source was provided for that definition!

I find it highly laughable that you guys take great pains to defend and/or attack this Assange person.

I would call this VERY ironic. I wonder how history will remember the events surrounding wikileaks? if it remembers it at all.

One person I know compared what WikiLeaks does to fencing stolen good. Supposedly they will release documents early or unreleased documents in return for donations. >_>

One person I know compared what WikiLeaks does to fencing stolen good. Supposedly they will release documents early or unreleased documents in return for donations. >_>

"Some people say..."

"A source close to the couple says"

"A friend that wished to remain nameless"

Supposedly Wikileaks is a CIA/Mossad Psy-Ops outfit, hellbent on justifying a war with Iran.

Supposedly Julian Assange isn't even Australian, but is in fact a Reptilian helping to pave the way for the NWO to censor the internet.

Supposedly they're on to you Kathaksung.

Yes. They are.

Seriously though, you could say just about anything without backing it up. At least provide a dubious link or something man.

The situation is pretty ironic though.

Random piece of trivia; Assange & I both share the same first name, birthdate & hometown.

I'm pretty sure brothers share last names not first, but then again, Australia is upside down.

I'm pretty sure they just started issuing different last names once the inbreeding got too out of hand. Gotta keep up appearances, you know.

Why does every argument in HL2.net derail into an argument over dictionary.com? WTF seriously

Back