Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in the head

You know what really pisses me off most about this tragedy? Idiots on the right such as Ridge and idiots on the left trying trying to assign blame to a particular group or person for this event. We have absolutely no idea what motivated this guy. What we do know of his rumblings make absolutely no sense, and it's impossible to know right now what motivated him to do what he did.

But there is no shortage of people willing to exploit this event for their own political benefit. Sad.

You know what really pisses me off most about this tragedy? Idiots on the right such as Ridge and idiots on the left trying trying to assign blame to a particular group or person for this event. We have absolutely no idea what motivated this guy. What we do know of his rumblings make absolutely no sense, and it's impossible to know right now what motivated him to do what he did.

But there is no shortage of people willing to exploit this event for their own political benefit. Sad.

This is probably the best post in the thread, so QFE, or agreed, or whatever I should say to emphasize this :)

Where have I said he has a political motivation to this? I've said multiple times that the guy is ****in whacked...

No, you just said without any kind of evidance that the guy read Daily Kos after initially showing a Daily Kos thread that had the word "bullseye" in it. And just so you understand, the link you posted does not constitute evidance and any person with a couple of brain cells would know that.

Yeah, but really, I'm curious as to whether you actually expected us to take a story on obamaisanazi.net seriously. And how you did yourself.

I was looking for Palin's response to this (it's actually pretty reasonable, even though the way she words it is awful), and came across this instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7046bo92a4

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Gabrielle herself definitely had a problem with the heated rhetoric, including Palin's crosshairs image, though she also seemed pretty calm and reasonable about it.

palins crosshair pic had nothing to do with this though...

Yeah, but unozero is right, there is absolutely no proof that there is any sort of connection between those two things at all, and it is seeming less and less likely the more the media reveals about the shooter.

Right, but my point is that you can't claim that this has "nothing" to do with the shooting. Claiming that is a little like claiming microwave radiation (as an abstract) has nothing to do with cancer in humans.

This analogy is only accurate if we discover that the shooter wasn't inspired in any way by the image. If he was, I'll need a stronger one.

actually it is nothing like that at all, even a little, in any way

the burden is on you to prove the connection, not everyone else to disprove it. that's the stupidest thing ever. seriously, wow, that is just dumb

No. Putting targets (which are used almost specifically for firearms) on specific people, insinuating that their decision regarding medicare resulted in the deaths of citizens (obvious),

[the microwave radiation]

out into public political discourse,

[all cancer-causing agents as a whole]

is directly relevant to the violent deaths of public officials and citizens.

[is directly relevant to people getting cancer].

[edit] Forget the analogy, it's obviously too complex. When violent rhetoric is as ubiquitous as it is in American political discourse, it is silly and perhaps even stupid to say that such a connection should not be considered until objective and unfaltering proof is put forth.

the burden is on you to prove the connection, not everyone else to disprove it. that's the stupidest thing ever. seriously, wow, that is just dumb

What? Burden? Since when is he trying to prove anything? Far as I can tell, this is a discussion, not a debate.

Also, haha, I'm really sure we'll beat investigative reporters to the punch in proving the connection between Palin's image and this shooting. Surely nobody is looking into that little tidbit already!

I was looking for Palin's response to this (it's actually pretty reasonable, even though the way she words it is awful), and came across this instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7046bo92a4

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Gabrielle herself definitely had a problem with the heated rhetoric, including Palin's crosshairs image, though she also seemed pretty calm and reasonable about it.

Jesus, that male newscaster made me rage like a motherf*cker. "Well but in fairness, campaign rhetoric and war rhetoric have been interchangeable for years."

WHAT. How is that supposed to be excuse the aggressive, violence condoning political rhetoric? As if its perfectly fine for war and political rhetoric to be interchangeable. F*CK. THAT IS THE WHOLE F*CKING PROBLEM WITH IT YOU STUPID SHITF*CK.

Oh, I almost forgot, in Palin's response she compares the rhetoric of today to ye olde foundinge fatherse time, where they "literally shot each other to settle disputes." Heh.

Yeah, I take it back, it wasn't that reasonable.

stigmata would have to prove that this guy in anyway affiliated himself with Palin...you can't cuz he didn't
He was a crazy guy with a skull shrine in the backyard.
His High School buddy also said he didn't like TV news or Talk Radio so there goes that argument out the Window.
Now a few people in this thread or pointing fingers at people like Palin or Limbaugh when there is not a single shred of evidence that was a a fan/listener of either.
To the contrary even.

**** you, Kotaku. **** you so much.

20110114000848capture.png

Yeah - thanks to you, moron. I searched around, precisely zero news sources that I could find have latched onto this angle so far. The author is responding to exactly nothing. The article he cites mentions his interest in/obsession with video games in a completely neutral way, yet he rushes to his computer and posts this utterly reactionary piece of trash... and somehow this imagined mass media response is the real evil here? Give me a break. You wanted hits just as badly as they'll want views (oh, it'll happen, not saying it won't), and you're both equally exploitative. But hey, thanks for making their job a little easier!

And yeah, it's totally "shocking" that Jack ****ing Thompson jumped on this, but come on, we know who you're talking about. Just because you don't mention him by name doesn't mean you're not validating him, asshole. Oh, and then you have the balls to call him opportunistic. Ha!

I just... I can't even imagine how little sense you'd have to possess in order to think this is an okay thing to post. People died, but video games might come under fire again? Oh no, alert the blogosphere!! I'm not the type to take games "journalism" super seriously (although I did find this on a blog that does :v), but jesus christ guys, have a little tact.

stigmata would have to prove that this guy in anyway affiliated himself with Palin...you can't cuz he didn't
He was a crazy guy with a skull shrine in the backyard.
His High School buddy also said he didn't like TV news or Talk Radio so there goes that argument out the Window.
Now a few people in this thread or pointing fingers at people like Palin or Limbaugh when there is not a single shred of evidence that was a a fan/listener of either.
To the contrary even.

But he wasn't trying to prove anything. Read Stig's posts, he was just saying there's a connection between the crosshair image and the shooting, which there is. That's it. He didn't so much as utter the suggestion that it could have actually influenced the guy, and you're jumping down his throat telling him to "prove" it. Prove what?!

Also, this guy has real class:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...ktail_party_over_tucson_arizona_shooting.html

John Boehner, House speaker, picks RNC cocktail party over Tucson, Arizona shooting memorial

House Speaker John Boehner is taking heat from some Democrats after skipping out on Wednesday's memorial service for the shooting victims in Arizona and instead hosting a cocktail party for the Republican National Committee.

The Ohio Republican turned down President Obama's invitation to travel on Air Force One to Tucson, Politico reported.

"It is disrespectful for Speaker Boehner to skip joining the President's and bipartisan congressional delegation to the Tucson Memorial so he could host a Washington D.C. cocktail party for RNC members," a Democratic leadership aide told the political website.

Requests to Boehner seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Boehner-crying.jpg

Asshole.

palins crosshair pic had nothing to do with this though...

The point is that it's a very real and tasteless example of violent rhetoric, and especially in light of these specific events, has proven how disgusting and recklessly conceived such tactics are. Whether the image actually influenced the shooter has nothing to do with it. Imagine in the heat of the moment you wished some one was dead and the next day they were in a fatal car accident. Now imagine that between two politicians, and you shouldn't be surprised it's getting news coverage and being discussed on the internet.

Jesus, that male newscaster made me rage like a motherf*cker. "Well but in fairness, campaign rhetoric and war rhetoric have been interchangeable for years."

WHAT. How is that supposed to be excuse the aggressive, violence condoning political rhetoric? As if its perfectly fine for war and political rhetoric to be interchangeable. F*CK. THAT IS THE WHOLE F*CKING PROBLEM WITH IT YOU STUPID SHITF*CK.

Yeah. Palin's thing had nothing to do with this shooting, but it's still wrong and promotes a potential violent discourse between parties. All of these military terminologies just need to be stopped. We don't need laws, we don't need requirements... we just need people to stop ****ing saying it and calm the **** down.

My largest problem with politics right now is the right going absolutely apeshit about Obama acting like his presidency is unprecedented step towards some sort of evil totalitarian whatever the ****... but in reality it's much like Bush's presidency and my life hasn't changed at all.

I saw Jon Stewart do a segment last night on it and I was happy to hear it.

I just want to tell all the chicken littles to calm the **** down and be rational with each other.

EDIT: Man... it's so ****ing bizarre that the little girl who died was born on Sept. 11 2001. That's just ripe for the picking for rhetoric.

Why is Palin's crosshair image considered the potential trigger of the attack, yet another media outlet's bullseye on the same person not at all possibly related?

Is it because archery isn't viewed as dangerous to the general public? Despite being a near silent form of attack over a medium range? Certainly deadly at the range Jared was at...

But he wasn't trying to prove anything. Read Stig's posts, he was just saying there's a connection between the crosshair image and the shooting, which there is. That's it. He didn't so much as utter the suggestion that it could have actually influenced the guy, and you're jumping down his throat telling him to "prove" it. Prove what?!
Brofist.

Ridge, which crosshair are you talking about? I imagine Palin's is being jumped on because it's the most media-prominent example.

Why is Palin's crosshair image considered the potential trigger of the attack, yet another media outlet's bullseye on the same person not at all possibly related?

Is it because archery isn't viewed as dangerous to the general public? Despite being a near silent form of attack over a medium range? Certainly deadly at the range Jared was at...

It's not considered the potential trigger of the attack(well, not anymore at least now that we know about him). When I posted in this thread, I posted Gabrielle Giffords remarks about Palin's map. It's not that it's the trigger, if it was, it's that it's contributing to a far too heated political environment. Anything else that does the same is to blame as well. Palin is getting extra flak because she's constantly using her gun/war type rhetoric. Don't retreat, reload... etc.

Is it because archery isn't viewed as dangerous to the general public?

Um. Yes?

Tell me you wouldn't be even a little impressed if he had pulled this off with a ****ing bow and arrow.

Edit: Absurdity aside, I think the images are equally innocuous as far as actually influencing this killing, but neither really help the political climate there if it's gotten this tense.

When is the last time someone went on a killing spree with a longbow?

I'm still curious why any of you bother defending Palin in the first place.

I'm still curious why any of you bother defending Palin in the first place.

I'll defend most any person that is the recipient of an unusual amount of uncalled for rage.

I like supporting the underdog. Like the Raiders in football, or the Cubs in baseball.

Brofist.

Ridge, which crosshair are you talking about? I imagine Palin's is being jumped on because it's the most media-prominent example.

Palin:
palin-crosshairs.jpg

Daily Kos:
screen-shot-2011-01-08-at-3-05-33-pm.png

Democratic party (though they didn't target Giffords, it's the same rhetoric):
demmap.jpg

You can just compensate for the undue rage by thinking of some of the many other things she's done to deserve it that the person isn't mentioning. But seriously, what she did was stupid and she's nothing but a media whoring celebrity.

I wonder if you even read our posts. I don't think anyone here has stated that we think her targets actually affected anything, and we've all gone into plenty of detail about how her image is far more provocative than anyone else's. The difference between a vague target that looks like a dartboard and that of one looking down the scope of a gun is pretty big. Not that it even matters. HEY, HERE ARE SOME OTHER PEOPLE USING VIOLENT IMAGERY!

Edit: Ah, that's directed at stigmata.

Honestly the Palin image looks just as innocent as either of the others at a glance, but you just have to look at the language she uses on the chart to see why people might be a bit edgy about it. "Already retiring at the end of their terms. 17 more to go!" What the ****? I'm not about to say she really, honestly meant for people to kill them, but... what? Does she want people to scare them into retirement or something? Ugh.

Didn't Palin also say something like "Don't retreat, reload!" and then link to that image on her facebook?

"It's time to reload!" I think.

Also, notice that while the Democratic image names states and election statistics, Palin's names people.

Back