Dr. Grant, my dear Dr. Sattler. Welcome to Jurassic Park

Warped

Reaction score
mammoth.jpg

Instead of Jurassic Park, try Pleistocene Park.

A team of scientists from Japan, Russia and the United States hopes to clone a mammoth, a symbol of Earth’s ice age that ended 12,000 years ago, according to a report in Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun. The researchers say they hope to produce a baby mammoth within six years.

The scientists say they will extract DNA from a mammoth carcass that has been preserved in a Russian laboratory and insert it into the egg cells of an African elephant in hopes of producing a mammoth embryo.

The team is being led by Akira Iritani, a professor emeritus at Kyoto University in Japan. He has built upon research from Teruhiko Wakayama of Kobe's Riken Center for Developmental Biology, who successfully cloned a mouse from cells that had been frozen for 16 years, to devise a technique to extract egg nuclei without damaging them, according to the Yomiuri report.

The U.S. researchers are in vitro fertilization experts. They, along with Kinki University professor Minoru Miyashita, will be responsible for implanting the mammoth embryo into an African elephant, the report said.

"If a cloned embryo can be created, we need to discuss, before transplanting it into the womb, how to breed [the mammoth] and whether to display it to the public," Iritani told Yomiuri. "After the mammoth is born, we'll examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors."
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/17/scientists-trying-to-clone-resurrect-extinct-mammoth/?npt=NP1

this is the kinda science I love hearing about!

I thought the species became extinct because of aggressive over hunting.

Also without sperm cells of a mammoth won't they essentially just have a mammoth hybrid?

Crazy thought, humans go extinct, robots rebuild us.....again

How will a mammal that lived in an ice world survive with all this global warming????

During the Ice Age a small craft crashed into Earth's surface. The craft contained beings deceased by a yet unknown infection.
It is presumed that a scavenger or carnivorous animal consumed some of the remains of these beings. The infection then aggressively passed from other life forms by neural manipulation; and internally consumed each host until death. Traces of the infection were lost in decay and weather, save for the few Mammoth remains.

In 2012, we will clone our first Mammoth, and in the process, resurrect the unknown infection.

But our flamethrower and beard technologies have developed to the point where the infection poses no threat to mankind.

During the Ice Age a small craft crashed into Earth's surface. The craft contained beings deceased by a yet unknown infection.
It is presumed that a scavenger or carnivorous animal consumed some of the remains of these beings. The infection then aggressively passed from other life forms by neural manipulation; and internally consumed each host until death. Traces of the infection were lost in decay and weather, save for the few Mammoth remains.

In 2012, we will clone our first Mammoth, and in the process, resurrect the unknown infection.

When is this movie coming to theatres?

Also I find it creepy that I see a thread about resurecting extinct animals, literaly minutes after I finished watching a hilariously bad movie about a team of scientists that clone a dragon.

Also I find it creepy that I see a thread about resurecting extinct animals, literaly minutes after I finished watching a hilariously bad movie about a team of scientists that clone a dragon.
01/17/2011, 8:55 PM: Subject is beginning to notice deliberately manipulated patterns, specific mention of KILO45-720.

Also without sperm cells of a mammoth won't they essentially just have a mammoth hybrid?
I've heard about this idea before. Assuming it works the first generations will be half mammoth, half elephant. Then they'll repeat the process on them to get a second generation 3/4 mammoth - and so on for as long as they feel necessary.

I for one welcome our new mammuth overlords

Man moths?!
Much love being sent your way, I bow to you.

@Raz, I also read a while back they were going to dilute the elephant genes over several generations as Eejit said. I do wonder if they will let the intermediate hybrids develop or if they intend to extract cells from the zygote hybrids and use those to fertlise another mammoth egg etc etc.

I recall years back them finding a fully preserved mammoth in the ice...I assume it is this one being referenced and hadn't heard anything for years about it. I'd love to see pictures of it after they finished defrosting it with hairdryers.

Much love being sent your way, I bow to you.

@Raz, I also read a while back they were going to dilute the elephant genes over several generations as Eejit said. I do wonder if they will let the intermediate hybrids develop or if they intend to extract cells from the zygote hybrids and use those to fertlise another mammoth egg etc etc.

I recall years back them finding a fully preserved mammoth in the ice...I assume it is this one being referenced and hadn't heard anything for years about it. I'd love to see pictures of it after they finished defrosting it with hairdryers.

Hmm that's very interesting. Making a mammoth hybrid embryo and then basically using it to restructure a pure mammoth embryo knowing what they do about the genes?

Hopeful they don't use that frog DNA this time. Yeah man, those frogs that can change gender.

Mammoths that spontaneously change gender, holy ****ing shit. Imagine the consequences.

Life, will find a way.

I love Jurassic park. I am often irritated by our lack of technological advancement in this area. We should be at the stage of resurrecting thousands of extinct species for our own entertainment. Especially that mega shark that makes a great white look like a tadpole.

I love Jurassic park. I am often irritated by our lack of technological advancement in this area. We should be at the stage of resurrecting thousands of extinct species for our own entertainment. Especially that mega shark that makes a great white look like a tadpole.

Here's an idea. Find an earthlike planet and populate it with resurected prehistoric creatures!!11

Oh wait that's Turok...

We should both work for NASA.

**** the prime directive, as Picard would say. We need to start meddling. Plant asparagus on mercury or Venus, whichever one has shiploads of stuff asparagus likes to breath. So what if the asparagus evolves into some kind of super intelligent race of monsters that wants to return to earth and enslave us. That's possible however unlikely.

Point is we need to take more risks.

How will a mammal that lived in an ice world survive with all this global warming????

They'll shave it, then rename it *Drum roll* an Elephant

If it can speak, we should name him Manny

lolno, fool. Lrn2biology.

No, they won't :)
You only have half your genetic code in your sex cells, in all other cells with DNA (ie not red blood cells) you have your full genetic code. So in this case the mammoth would be a clone of the dead one they took the DNA from.
Hope that clears it up.

Edit: To clear this up, it's most likely the exact same process as cloning Dolly the sheep, you put the nucleus you get into an empty cell, and get it to start dividing.

This is the best thing science has ever done. This beats the internet, spacetravel and everything else ever. This is the most awesome thing ****ing ever.

I like it and I have no idea why.

lolno, fool. Lrn2biology.

No, they won't :)
You only have half your genetic code in your sex cells, in all other cells with DNA (ie not red blood cells) you have your full genetic code. So in this case the mammoth would be a clone of the dead one they took the DNA from.
Hope that clears it up.

Edit: To clear this up, it's most likely the exact same process as cloning Dolly the sheep, you put the nucleus you get into an empty cell, and get it to start dividing.

Yes, but you get half your genetic code from the egg and half from the sperm don't you? I don't see what you're saying in that there won't be any elephant dna at all.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND. The reason I pick up traits from my mom or traits from my dad is because when the sperm joins with the egg the dominant DNA genes win out but often it's a mix from the mother and the father. Unless I'm mistaken from reading the article and they won't be using elephant sperm to fertilize the egg.

Although briefly glancing at the article again before leaving for work I see that they're inserting the mammoth DNA into the egg cells of the elephant. ITS STILL GOING TO HAVE DNA FROM THE ELEPHANT TOO OR AM I STUPID and all that elephant dna just pops right out of the egg.

Back