Egyptian uprising

aparently some of the pro-mubarak are police officers in disguise,that explains why those didnt appeared before

aparently some of the pro-mubarak are police officers in disguise,that explains why those didnt appeared before

Yeah, today has been extremely violent. I bet we will hear that a lot of people died and a lot of people were seriously injured. Once the internet comes back in Egypt I predict there will be a massive inundation of video and images from these days like there were before the internet went down - right now we are only getting footage from major news organizations for the most part, but people are still filming all of this stuff on the street in Egypt, they just don't have any way to get it out to the rest of the world right now.

The anti-government demonstrations have been mostly peaceful up to this point, but today pro-government demonstrators (I would be willing to bet that a significant amount of which are either plainclothes police/security forces or paid by the government to agitate) have been attacking the protesters with fists, clubs, horses, rocks, and firebombs and chaos has reigned. As of a few minutes ago Al Jazeera's live blog reported automatic gunfire near Tahrir Square.

It's a very volatile situation right now. I really hope that this is resolved mostly peacefully, but things don't look promising. Mubarak seems firmly intent on staying in office until the end of his term (which is more than six months from now) despite the millions of angry protesters in the streets demanding his ouster. It looks likely that he's fomenting agitation and violent conflict directly by encouraging pro-government protesters to use violence (some reports of Egyptians being offered $17 by the government to participate in pro-Mubarak rallies), and the protesters don't seem eager to back down either. The military is still mostly a wild card, but it's hard to see which side they will eventually fall on.

I really just hope this doesn't end up like Tiananmen or anything similar.
I hate it when I type a good post and it ends up being the last on a page and nobody reads it.

I hate it when I type a good post and it ends up being the last on a page and nobody reads it.

If it makes you feel any better (and it should) I totally read it.

Hmmm...Somethin's missing.Oh i know!
Bombs from uncle sam,anyone?:D
To get back on the subject,there were 1500 dead or injured when i posted this.It's gettin really serious down there....

Yeah, today has been extremely violent. I bet we will hear that a lot of people died and a lot of people were seriously injured. Once the internet comes back in Egypt I predict there will be a massive inundation of video and images from these days like there were before the internet went down - right now we are only getting footage from major news organizations for the most part, but people are still filming all of this stuff on the street in Egypt, they just don't have any way to get it out to the rest of the world right now.

The anti-government demonstrations have been mostly peaceful up to this point, but today pro-government demonstrators (I would be willing to bet that a significant amount of which are either plainclothes police/security forces or paid by the government to agitate) have been attacking the protesters with fists, clubs, horses, rocks, and firebombs and chaos has reigned. As of a few minutes ago Al Jazeera's live blog reported automatic gunfire near Tahrir Square.

It's a very volatile situation right now. I really hope that this is resolved mostly peacefully, but things don't look promising. Mubarak seems firmly intent on staying in office until the end of his term (which is more than six months from now) despite the millions of angry protesters in the streets demanding his ouster. It looks likely that he's fomenting agitation and violent conflict directly by encouraging pro-government protesters to use violence (some reports of Egyptians being offered $17 by the government to participate in pro-Mubarak rallies), and the protesters don't seem eager to back down either. The military is still mostly a wild card, but it's hard to see which side they will eventually fall on.

I really just hope this doesn't end up like Tiananmen or anything similar.

QFE

charlim

I saw a video clip of a guy riding a camel through a mob. Made me laugh real hard.

So my friend came up with a good aphorism related to this:

A good dictator is not a dicktator.

So my friend came up with a good aphorism related to this:

A good dictator is not a dicktator.

NSFW
dicktaterdemotivational.jpg

Pro-government protesters have been attacking the anti-government protesters in Tahrir Square (being called Liberation Square by many) with excessive violence for the past 24 hours. At least 5 or 6 protesters are dead from gunfire from pro government protesters. There are also pictures circulating of dozens of police IDs seized from so-called pro-government "protesters" by anti-government supporters. Basically, the government and Mubarak are waging proxy war on the protesters with plainclothes police. The military is still neutral and has been helping defend the anti-government demonstrators on some occasions, and has also fired into the air in an attempt to defuse conflict.

It is shortly after dawn in Egypt right now and the anti-government protesters have driven all of the attackers from the square, and are guarding the defensible entrances in expectation of further violent assaults by pro-government protesters and agitators. They literally have a human wall of metal sheets and barricades that they are advancing forward to choke points into the square where they expect attacks.

In addition to the 5+ dead, thousands are injured and Mubarak and his government show no sign whatsoever of acquiescing to the protesters' demands, and in fact have hardened their stance and strengthened their rhetoric in the past 12 hours. This situation really doesn't look good.

That sucks, but why the **** did they have their ID badges on them. I mean... doy.

^ Krynn posted about it here:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/sho...-can-recreate-your-emails-VOIP-calls-and-more

What I find amazing (and obviously very good) is that the death toll is so low. From the videos coming out yesterday they were throwing molotov cocktails one after the other right in to huge crowds.

As I hear the reports of all these protestors using razor blades, sling shots, and rocks for their weapons I can't help to think about what would happen if something like this went down here. It wouldn't be rocks that would be flying, it would be thousands of bullets from very powerful weapons.

As I hear the reports of all these protestors using razor blades, sling shots, and rocks for their weapons I can't help to think about what would happen if something like this went down here. It wouldn't be rocks that would be flying, it would be thousands of bullets from very powerful weapons.

But think of the lawsuits.

I saw a video clip of a guy riding a camel through a mob. Made me laugh real hard.

That was such a surreal sight. I am reading The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by TE Lawrence (of Arabia) currently and it made me think of that book. The roughing up of CNN's Hala Gorani was kinda hot btw.

Israel is still on edge. Today I traveled from Eilat to Tel Aviv and I saw a couple of Apaches, a truck convoy loaded with APCs and before I left this morning F16s were constantly buzzing over, flying in the direction of the Sinai. Most soldiers were going on weekend leave though, so I guess they aren't that worried yet.

That's the second video of one of those armored vans blatantly running down protesters. There was another one from several days back that shows a similar moment. Disgusting. There's also graphic footage of people being shot in Suez floating around the internet, I don't particularly care to post it though.

The title of this thread keeps making me think this is a new IP for a gaming company.

"Christians protecting Muslims while they pray during protests in Egypt."

NhC4m.jpg

Found this on Reddit. Wow... just wow. This is nothing less than amazing.

Edit: Source.

It seems the regime now has started to imprison and harass journalist in the country. This is very worrying, as it might mean that they're about to do something which they don't want the outside world to see.

I know it's wrong, but I'm laughing my ass off right now. The cement one is ****ing gold.

It seems the regime now has started to imprison and harass journalist in the country. This is very worrying, as it might mean that they're about to do something which they don't want the outside world to see.

They best not **** with Anderson Cooper, Richard Engel, Brian Williams or any of the other journalists we have in the country. Especially not Brian ****ing Williams.

Anderson Cooper got accosted by a pro-government mob a few days ago and got punched in the head a bunch of times.

I know it's wrong, but I'm laughing my ass off right now. The cement one is ****ing gold.

LOL, yeah, but like couldn't they raid a store and get some motorcycle helmets or something.

What, and sacrifice the spatial awareness that those designs offer? Combat isn't a 60 degree angle affair!

I agree with everything in that post Tyguy. It would be nice to have a real cause like they do, something righteous and moral and meaningful that you can actively strive for instead of just sitting around in America watching the slow process of social and economic entropy all around you while you idly dick around on the internet.

Maybe you and your buddies should get together to try and make an audit happen on the Federal Reserve, not only will you find the missing trillions from the banker bailout + other boo-boo's, but you'd probably find how many off-shore banks practically have the Fed around it's finger.

If it makes you feel better, almost everyone I know down in Oz thinks the US will do an Egypt in the next decade or so anyway.

I can't help but be cynical about chances of a good outcome to all this. How many violent revolutions can you name that led to the creation to long-lasting, truly democratic, institutions? Romania in 1989 and perhaps Ireland in 1922, but what else?

I can't help but be cynical about chances of a good outcome to all this. How many violent revolutions can you name that led to the creation to long-lasting, truly democratic, institutions? Romania in 1989 and perhaps Ireland in 1922, but what else?

*looks at the USA*
Yeah, this never works.

Well...

In France Napoleon declared himself emperor 15 years after the revolution, so I wouldn't exactly call that long-lasting.

And in America is was more of a progress to democracy over several decades rather than a sudden abolishment of all undemocratic institutions. John Adams for instance made it illegal to criticize the US government and slavery wasn't abolished until a century after the revolution.

Well...

In France Napoleon declared himself emperor 15 years after the revolution, so I wouldn't exactly call that long-lasting.

And in America is was more of a progress to democracy over several decades rather than a sudden abolishment of all undemocratic institutions. John Adams for instance made it illegal to criticize the US government and slavery wasn't abolished until a century after the revolution.

A boulder must tumble down the mountain before it settles at the bottom. - The wise philosopher Raziaar

Dunno if this has been linked already.

http://www.thelocal.se/31826/20110203/

English article about the Swedish journalist who was reportedly seized by the army yesterday, went missing for several hours and was later found with severe stabwounds in a hospital in Cairo.

Back