Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Man, the Thieves' Guild story really takes a big dump over older ES lore.

In older ES lore Daedric artifacts functioned by appearing in one place for some time and then disappearing after being worn down, mind you this was only properly simulated in Daggerfall I think where you couldn't repair magic items and as such when they got worn down enough they disappeared, which really doesn't fit in with the whole "Temple to Nocturnal" having existed in Skyrim for several centuries and guarding the artifacts of Nocturnal, including the Skeleton key. Gee, I wonder how I could get the Skeleton key in Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion then.

Take into account two centuries passing and sprinkle in some historical revisionism. I hope Bethesda got rid of the "NPCs can't lie to the player" principle that governed Oblivion, though.

I never played Morrowind or Oblivion, so I wasn't really interested in this at all. I had some friends over this weekend and one of them brought it for the 360, so we played around it with it for a bit. After they left, I checked out the PC version.

Let me say that, if your PC runs well enough to handle it, even on low/moderate graphics, get it for that. It's much prettier and even aside from that, the 360 version is just plain bad in comparison. The lighting is wrong, the menus are even more clunky, any item pickup message is at least partially off the screen, subtitles are unreadable, etc etc etc. I just read through this thread and people are saying that the PC version is the port? If so, it's the best port I've ever seen, since it's goddamn better than the original.

I'm about level 17, playing as a Sneak Archer, which is something that I never do in games, but I'm really having a blast with it. The amount of detail put into this is pretty amazing. I'm going through the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood stuff now. Forcing a dragon to crash-land is like the coolest thing ever. I think next time through I might try to be a Dagger Illusion Mage.

Something that it took me forever to notice is that when you enchant weapons you can rename them, which has made my life loads easier since I'm currently using three different bows at any given time. (One to steal souls, one that does a bucket of damage at night, and one that shoots fire.) Instead of having them all just named for the bowtype they are, I can name them silly fantasy things like SOULCATCHER and NIGHTBANE.

My problems/irritations with it so far:
- Holy shit this ****ing UI. I'd expect so much more for a company who has made several games in the past. The problems with this are amateur level. You get used to it, but it's still disappointing.
- The Quest Tab could stand to have some more information to it. I don't like how it merely breaks it down to objectives. I want to know what I'm doing and for whom and why at all times, especially when I stock up on Quests before doing them.
- Why can't I create arrows.
- I keep ****ing killing Lydia because she's stupid enough to walk in front of my bow.

How do you guys keep getting Lydia killed? She's only ever died once for me, and then I subsequently died as well and had to reload, and now she's still around. But seriously, every time she gets hurt she drops to a knee and then the opponent goes after me allowing her to recover. I've never had her in any real danger. At what point does she actually die?

How do you guys keep getting Lydia killed? She's only ever died once for me, and then I subsequently died as well and had to reload, and now she's still around. But seriously, every time she gets hurt she drops to a knee and then the opponent goes after me allowing her to recover. I've never had her in any real danger. At what point does she actually die?

I'm at such a point in the game with my bow where if I'm crouched and I shoot her in the back, her life drops below half. So if she has 3-4 guys attacking her already, and I shoot her, that's it, she's done for. She's only gotten killed once where it wasn't my fault by our mutual decision to take on 2 giants at level 8.

I've done nothing with Lydia, I'm a bit of a lone ranger :D

Skyrim brings out the OCD in people

yZulN.jpg

Amazing

[video=youtube_share;CQB4wkmKOv8]http://youtu.be/CQB4wkmKOv8[/video]

Let me say that, if your PC runs well enough to handle it, even on low/moderate graphics, get it for that. It's much prettier and even aside from that, the 360 version is just plain bad in comparison. The lighting is wrong, the menus are even more clunky, any item pickup message is at least partially off the screen, subtitles are unreadable, etc etc etc. I just read through this thread and people are saying that the PC version is the port? If so, it's the best port I've ever seen, since it's goddamn better than the original.

I think there's an issue with your tv :S my pickup messages aren't off screen and the subs are fine.

Can you melt down armor and weapons for raw materials? I thought that was what the smelter was for, but every time I try it doesn't give me the option to do anything with the stuff in my inventory.

Go mine some ore then use that in the smelter to make ingots, can't melt down weapons sadly.. :(

I fought and finally killed a giant with my mage... and the giant power slammed Lydia into the ground which rebounded her up into the upper atmosphere. I found her body nearby a few moments later... and it just said, "Talk to Lydia", so I assumed she was just stunned or something, and proceeded to finish the giant off. Just before I killed it, she came back. I thought that would have been a death blow surely.

I fought and finally killed a giant with my mage... and the giant power slammed Lydia into the ground which rebounded her up into the upper atmosphere. I found her body nearby a few moments later... and it just said, "Talk to Lydia", so I assumed she was just stunned or something, and proceeded to finish the giant off. Just before I killed it, she came back. I thought that would have been a death blow surely.

Lydia (or any other companion for that matter) only dies when you give her the final blow. NPCs can't kill her nor can stuff in the world. Example:

Oh and check out this great article about Lydia.

Lydia (or any other companion for that matter) only dies when you give her the final blow. NPCs can't kill her nor can stuff in the world. Example:

Well I know that. but she was prone in complete ragdoll repose, looking like she was dead on the ground. Area of Effect spells can surely kill her however. I've seen her get completely obliterated by a frost spell and just died nearly instantly. No knee for her.

Well I know that. but she was prone, looking like she was dead on the ground.

Maybe you accidentally hit her or she got in the way of a shout? I know I yelled her to death once. Quicksave ftw.

Oh, that's a relief. Maybe I'll actually take Lydia with me somewhere. So far I have just left her in Breezehome to guard my huge mound of armor and weapons.

My Lydia died about 10 levels ago. Useless, and ridiculous pathfinding AI just irritated the crap out of me. She got stuck on a mound, not even a rock. Just stood ontop of it and wouldnt follow me. Had to push her off it and suddenly she awoke from her coma.

*sigh*

To wonder the gorgeous lands alone it seems.

So who is using alchemy? How is it? It's rare in games when alchemy is actually fun or intuitive (I only enjoyed it in the witcher) But there seems to be a shitload of potions laying around the world already, more than I need for sure.

Maybe you accidentally hit her or she got in the way of a shout? I know I yelled her to death once. Quicksave ftw.

What? No... I said a giant power slammed her and she flew a million miles high before landing back down... prone and looking dead... until eventually she recovered and got back up.

And I have had her die before. Npcs can kill the companions if their magics last long enough while they're taking a knee. Dog companions most assuredly can die without even taking a knee.

Yeah, companions die. I've had one die from a stray arrow from a bandit after she went into the "rest phase".

Enemy AI doesn't seem to attack those ones though, making them hard to die.

Screen time!

I thought this was kinda funny.. He didn't even get a chance to sit up!
screenshot23ux.png

My Warrior! Forgot to take a picture of his face, he's just your typical Nord with a beard.
screenshot27o.png

screenshot28wm.png

screenshot29w.png

Skyrim brings out the OCD in people

You got that right.

hqGFm.gif

So who is using alchemy? How is it? It's rare in games when alchemy is actually fun or intuitive (I only enjoyed it in the witcher) But there seems to be a shitload of potions laying around the world already, more than I need for sure.

Yeah, I've been doing a bit of alchemy on my warrior guy, but it seems like you really need to invest in it for it to get any good. I've just been using whatever ingredients I find whenever I can get back to a station, and my potions are still far worse than anything I'd find in the world. Granted, I'm still mostly mashing stuff together to find their properties, which probably gives you less skill than if you just crafted potions from recipes you already knew.

Well, here's my level 25 Nord with a Sword:

sB4aL.jpg

EP1Kh.jpg

I've been doing a lot of smithing lately, and I have to say that making your own armor is incredibly satisfying. Flawless steel plate ftw.

Meh, smithing really takes no skill whatsoever.

And no real effort either.

I got my smithing to 100 purely by creating leather gloves (cheapest product you can create in terms of stuff it requires), then I just made my dragon plate armour which I've worn ever since.

The patch made it so you can't mess with the game executable, so that fix to force the game to allocate more than 2gb of ram won't work any more (not sure if it was posted here, but some of you may have found it). Use this one instead: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Here's me with a mourning giant. Guess he was too depressed to attack me. :(

6VOTZ.jpg

Yeah, companions die. I've had one die from a stray arrow from a bandit after she went into the "rest phase".

Enemy AI doesn't seem to attack those ones though, making them hard to die.

Yeah, I left Lydia to fight a bandit and a mage and when I returned she was as dead as a door nail.

Meh, smithing really takes no skill whatsoever.

And no real effort either.

I got my smithing to 100 purely by creating leather gloves (cheapest product you can create in terms of stuff it requires), then I just made my dragon plate armour which I've worn ever since.

Do you have to level smithing to get the ****ing dragon armor or can you buy it?

Do you have to level smithing to get the ****ing dragon armor or can you buy it?

I think you have to level smithing to 100 like I did.

I certainly haven't seen any dragon armour for sale at least.

Yeah, but to get to that dragon armor, that involves spending like 6 different points in the Smithing tree doesn't it?

Around about that many, yep. Could be some enemies who drop it later on?

I figure some enemies later on would drop it, but I'm level 35 and haven't seen ANY dragon armor. I'm juuuust starting to find Daedric items (which I mean I found 1 Daedric mace so far in a cave). So this suggests that you gotta be like level 45-50 to start finding dragon armor. And by that point chances are you'll have some awesome enchanted Daedric armor.. So to find the GOOD dragon armor you gotta wait till probably 60?

Yeah, I'm around 30 now and I've found like 2 Daedric items, but nothing Dragon at all.

I'm just rocking upgraded Dark Brotherhood armour, which is doing me just fine so far, and I've got my companion decked out in Orcish gear.

Dragon isnt the best anyway, Daedric is. And Daedric is arguably easier to get and enchant, due to guaranteed places to farm, unlike the dragons.

Ploughing through the DB questline now. Want Shadowmere and then onto Daedric smithing.

Dragon isnt the best anyway, Daedric is. And Daedric is arguably easier to get and enchant, due to guaranteed places to farm, unlike the dragons.

It depends on how you're playing. If I recall correctly, Daedric Armor is heavy, which would be foolish for a stealth character to wear.

Back