Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Pity, one lesson Bethesda seemingly didn't learn from New Vegas (yes, I know Obsidian developed it, still) was creating interesting companions that actually have personalities. I've only picked up a handful, though.

Lydia is a flimsy, boring character and companions are buggy enough to make you wish you were traveling alone anyways. No loss there!

When you're a pure mage playing on expert you kind of need companions.

I haven't had the guts to let Lydia actually die the million times she's died on me. I just load every time that's happened.

One of these days I'm gonna do a playthrough and just let everything happen as it happens.

I honestly wish Skyrim games had a respawn system more than the system it has now.

Honestly I just find it a lot less destructive when you fail in battle when nearly all people just reload and reload and reload until they beat a battle.

If you died and lost your things and you had to recover your body... it'd give you much more appreciation for dangerous areas of the world.

When you're a pure mage playing on expert you kind of need companions.

I haven't had the guts to let Lydia actually die the million times she's died on me. I just load every time that's happened.

One of these days I'm gonna do a playthrough and just let everything happen as it happens.

I honestly wish Skyrim games had a respawn system more than the system it has now.

Honestly I just find it a lot less destructive when you fail in battle when nearly all people just reload and reload and reload until they beat a battle.

If you died and lost your things and you had to recover your body... it'd give you much more appreciation for dangerous areas of the world.
Do you know you can resurrect her? Open the console, click on her, type "resurrect".

Do you know you can resurrect her? Open the console, click on her, type "resurrect".

That's even more immersion breaking, honestly.

Exploring Dwemer ruins has made me want to play dwarf fortress again.

I actually liked that quest a fair bit, because it's particularly well done and making the correct decision relies on researching Hammerfell's recent history and analyzing the statements given by the Alik'r and their quarry.

It's essential to find and read about the Great War between the Empire and the Thalmor-led Dominion. There, you learn that Hammerfell has been hit particularly hard by the elves and is presently fighting a war against the elvenazi invaders alone, after the Empire cut off their ties to maintain the tenuous peace. What made me chose the Alik'r headhunters was her claim that they were Thalmor assassins, which obviously relied on me being a clueless sellsword, rather than a self-styled scholar.

Yeah, I liked the quest too, but it made me feel somewhat.. queasy? Its nice to have closure on that anyway.

I say, there's a lot of nice subtlety in the game and it's overall pretty damn grey. I particularly like the overarching conflict theme (Aldmeri vs. Imperials vs. Stormcloaks) along with the fact that

Ulfric is a dormant intelligence asset of the Thalmor, according to the dossier in their embassy. Note, if I'm wrong, shut up and don't spoil it for me. Seriously.

Holy ****ing Shit. I should probably have read those books and not forgotten about them :O. I read the ones that I find interesting cover to cover *cough*Argonian Maid*cough*, but wow.

I've only started recently to collect books to fill my bookcase. I like most of the random books, and grab the ones that I like.

Also, I dislike the Stormcloaks more and more as time goes by. I know that I'm naturally pro-status quo, but I disliked the Imperials for being puppets of Elvenazis, but Stormcloaks are simply racist assholes. Especially Ulfric.

Finally, go with Ebony. I like the look better. I'm currently wearing the Dragonscale set, but I might change a few parts of my armor for a better look. Like Dragonscale helmet with Ebony armor parts, etc. Don't care about the full-set armor bonus as long as I look awesome as possible. :p

So, is everyone using companions? I've found two so far but CBA bringing them along with me as I'm playing a stealth/archer Khajit and don't want them blowing my cover.

Also, where can you sell stolen stuff? Thieves Guild?

Oh yeah, had an odd Radiant AI moment earlier. When I started the game I spent a good bit of time in Riverwood looting. Was only level 2. Suddenly I was attacked by some hired thugs who were a bitch to kill. On one of the dead was a contract from Ongnar, the inn owner in Riverwood, to 'rough me up' a bit. I went to speak to him but his conversation options were the same. After coming back to Riverwood after defeating my first dragon I dropped into his inn and he said he really liked me and gave me an iron war-axe. K.

So, is everyone using companions? I've found two so far but CBA bringing them along with me as I'm playing a stealth/archer Khajit and don't want them blowing my cover.

Also, where can you sell stolen stuff? Thieves Guild?

Oh yeah, had an odd Radiant AI moment earlier. When I started the game I spent a good bit of time in Riverwood looting. Was only level 2. Suddenly I was attacked by some hired thugs who were a bitch to kill. On one of the dead was a contract from Ongnar, the inn owner in Riverwood, to 'rough me up' a bit. I went to speak to him but his conversation options were the same. After coming back to Riverwood after defeating my first dragon I dropped into his inn and he said he really liked me and gave me an iron war-axe. K.

Yeah if you steal from some people they'll sometimes send ****ing tough ass brutes after you.

Anyone know if theres a way to "call" for your horse? I'm at Morthol and there's no carriage or stables, and its going to take ages to walk to the nearest city.

This is what I call immersion and realism. Eagerly waiting to get my hands on this game.

This is what I call immersion and realism. Eagerly waiting to get my hands on this game.

It's not either of those things. You can take a caravan to most cities, paying 50 gold to turn it into a four second trip, and you can use the map to Fast Travel (2 second trip) to anywhere you've already discovered.

It's not either of those things. You can take a caravan to most cities, paying 50 gold to turn it into a four second trip, and you can use the map to Fast Travel (2 second trip) to anywhere you've already discovered.

Fast travel is not an option.

Lydia just died :( This bastard of a Blood Dragon is what finally did her in. ****er was hard. Now I'm wandering around with all her expensive stuff, weighing twice my carrying capacity. Anyone know if theres a way to "call" for your horse? I'm at Morthol and there's no carriage or stables, and its going to take ages to walk to the nearest city. I also don't want to just sell the stuff (not that there is someone to buy it in Morthol) because I'll get a new companion who can use it.
**** you dragon.

Solitude isn't that far away from Morthal.

Falkreath, Winterhold and Dawnstar are three of the most annoying cities to have to run from.

I kind of broke my fast travel rule as I was doing the Dark Brotherhood quests. I felt guilty about it but in the end I saved an assload of time.

Anybody use the Call Storm shout?

I used it in a town and it killed everyone including my companion, save for a few quest NPCs and Odahviing who seems to have followed me to town for some reason. Must have been the fast travel.

Needless to say, I reloaded and vowed never to call upon nature's fury again.

Anybody use the Call Storm shout?

I used it in a town and it killed everyone including my companion, save for a few quest NPCs and Odahviing who seems to have followed me to town for some reason. Must have been the fast travel.

Needless to say, I reloaded and vowed never to call upon nature's fury again.

It's awesome. I'm glad the lightning hits companions/nonenemies. I used it in the middle of this really hard battle and after I finished all of the forsworn off I ran back and found Lydia dead. What have I done!!! Reminds me of when Rand Al'Thor calls a lightning storm in the Wheel of Time series and kills a bunch of his own troops by accident

Patch comin'.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/skyrim-patch-were-all-waiting-for-coming-very-soon/3822/

• Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
  • Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
  • Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
  • Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
  • Dragon corpses now clean up properly
  • Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
  • Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
  • Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
  • Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
  • Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
  • Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
  • ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
  • Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
  • General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

How about they release a patch to get Lydia's ****ing corpse out of my house!

Its not an option because you can't fast travel while over-encumbered.

I just remembered that I have that whirlwind sprint shout, that should save me loads of time.

It's also not an option to fast travel if "there are enemies nearby". Stupid dragons that won't land, secretly mocking me.

Basically, make Fallout more like TES.

I appreciate that they simply lifted lockpicking from FO3 for Skyrim since Oblivion's version sucked. But I disagree with his suggestion that they should adopt the same leveling system and such. And while Skyrim does have a much cleaner UI than previous games, it is also greatly lacking in important information on any given pane.

Bethesda already crammed the Fallout series into their mould of RPG. I'd rather they didn't get much more similar.

^^I agree they shouldn't mesh TES and Fallout anymore than they have already been. I'm at least glad that the writer of the article mentioned New Vegas. I hope Fallout 4 shares more similarities with New Vegas than Skyrim. Although one thing I don't mind in Skyrim's design is that you can't be an expert at everything, this should be carried into F4, in my opinion. In Fallout 3 it was way too easy to have much of your skills maxed out. Also, let's not forget the Reputation System. Another thing the article mentioned was more varied environments, while I understand it's post-apoc, playing through Fallout 3's environments gave me clinical depression. Maybe have more settlements strewn across the wasteland (a reasonable amount), or something. One of the reasons I'm glad Obsidian tackled New Vegas was because it's like a mirror of expectations that hopefully Bethesda thinks they have to meet. It'll be interesting to see if Bethesda cares to create companions that actually have personalities and histories this time around.

Anyone come across the giant mudcrab yet?

I came across it like last week or so. It's this hot spring pool, there are a few mudcrabs around it, and a little cave with a body in it and a skeleton. The huge mudcrab isn't alive, it's just a shell but it's almost as tall as your character. It's pretty cool.

And I can't remember where it was :p

I agree with everything on that review except for the skills that I haven't tried and the questlines that I have not yet completed. Choices, especially dialogue, is very disappointing for me, since I expected something more like New Vegas or perhaps Mass Effect. Also need faction armor and standing like in NV, but perhaps in new DLCs or mods, if it came to that. I'm pretty much fine with the lack of a reputation system though; the quests seem to make up for that anyway. But it is disturbing that 11 murders in a single night only gets you a week or two in jail. And everything is fine afterwards. :/ I don't think I've had any of my skills drop due to a jail sentence.

Anyway, is it intended that after the main quest the dragons

don't attack you as much?

I mean, I have some circle around and go away, some attack me (especially elder dragons). Around half seem to attack, while the others just look at me and fly away, or go attack some giants. They mostly attack when I get to their nests, although some simply look at me until I attack.

Also, I had 2 dragons come at the same time when I was traveling. One attacked me, one circled around for a few minutes doing nothing. I called Odahviing, so I had 3 dragons in the air. The aggressive one attacked a group of Thalmor Justicars and got its ass kicked by me, the elves, and Odahviing. I killed the elves as well with some help from Odahviing (which was hard; goddamn mages). The neutral dragon remained completely unaffected by the chaos unfolding beneath him, and got bored and flew away with Odahviing. It was an epic struggle between the parties that deserved to be recorded, but alas I forgot to.

Anyone come across the giant mudcrab yet?

I came across it like last week or so. It's this hot spring pool, there are a few mudcrabs around it, and a little cave with a body in it and a skeleton. The huge mudcrab isn't alive, it's just a shell but it's almost as tall as your character. It's pretty cool.

And I can't remember where it was :p
When I encountered the giant mudcrab it was alive and attacked me, oddly enough however it didn't have any more health than a regular mudcrab.

It was probably only dead in your game because some other AI entity had killed it.

FnixP.jpg

When I encountered the giant mudcrab it was alive and attacked me, oddly enough however it didn't have any more health than a regular mudcrab.

It was probably only dead in your game because some other AI entity had killed it.

Naw that was a different mudcrab - there is one in the game that's huge and has the same health/damage as a normal one. This one I'm talking about is a dead shell and it's outside, not in a cave or anything.

Naw that was a different mudcrab - there is one in the game that's huge and has the same health/damage as a normal one. This one I'm talking about is a dead shell and it's outside, not in a cave or anything.

Ah, my bad!

Anyway, I heard that the new patch broke magic resistance, is that true?

Holy shit that is awesome.

Also I've heard that the new patch has broken a lot of things, resistance being the main. Of course, I don't have any resistance, so doesn't bother me too much. I was going to enchant my dragonscale armor as soon as I got the enchantments for fire, ice, shock resistances though (mages kill the shit out of me), and also enough levels in enchantments. But I've also heard that they've broken armor as well, which does not bode well for my main, what with her dragon armor and shield being the only thing that stands between her and death by bandits.

Back