Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Which confirms my point: you become the Nerevarine. You're just a random villager at the beginning of Morrowind.

It was prophesied that someone would be the incarnate of Nerevar, and since you became the Nerevarine, you could only ever have become the Nerevarine because it was your unavoidable destiny, and thus the implication of a distinction between being the Nerevarine and being destined to become the Nerevarine is silly. It is made even sillier as your character in Skyrim is also just a random villager at the start, with no notion of what he is or what his destiny is, but you clearly find some kind of issue with this plot and not with Morrowind's. The difference between a character who must, as decreed by destiny/fate, become the Nerevarine, and a character who must, by destiny/fate be a Dragonborn is negligible. They are, in essence, the same god damn thing.

If you can't see the clear difference between "being" and "becoming", then I can't help you there, Krynn.

If you can't see the clear difference between "being" and "becoming", then I can't help you there, Krynn.
I think Krynn gets the distinction, but feels it's a bit of a moot point since even in morrowind you were always destined to become the Nerevarine, which would mean you were the incarnate of Nerevar; this means there's not really a distinction between being Nerevar-born and Dragonborn.

Does it really bother you people how important your character is or becomes in an rpg? Damn, who would have thought there'd be so many nerds on Halflife2.net?

Did becoming the Nerevar imbue you with any special powers? If so, did they turn you into a demi-god and break the game?

Did becoming the Nerevar imbue you with any special powers? If so, did they turn you into a demi-god and break the game?

Nope. You had to earn every bit of it, whereas as a Dragonborn you already have these special I-Scream-At-Dragons-Look-How-Cool-Is-That powers.

That's ignoring the fact that you can ignore the prophecy or even ruin it outright in Morrowind. Not so much in Oblivion or Fallout 3 and I expect the trend to continue.

Does it really bother you people how important your character is or becomes in an rpg? Damn, who would have thought there'd be so many nerds on Halflife2.net?
Not sure if satirical.

I'm pretty sure I could beat you to a pulp and I'm a nerd! WHERE'S YOUR NERD MESSIAH NOW?

Quick question, folks:

In Skyrim, are you allowed to touch the rim of the sky?

Nope. You had to earn every bit of it, whereas as a Dragonborn you already have these special I-Scream-At-Dragons-Look-How-Cool-Is-That powers.

That's ignoring the fact that you can ignore the prophecy or even ruin it outright in Morrowind. Not so much in Oblivion or Fallout 3 and I expect the trend to continue.

Wrong. You have to obtain the powers either by exploring ruins to discover the words of power, or by defeating dragons. It's kinda been known for months now.

What Bob said. You're still earning them gradually, so I don't see how it's different minus a niggling lore element. Whether or not it effects the game balance still depends solely on how well they balance it.

Don't mistake that for a vote of confidence though, Oblivion's balance was terrible enough that I'm still pretty sceptical about it.

Just read the E3 preview of this. I can't remember when I was last this excited for a game bar Portal 2 of course. Looks absolutely immense.

Skyrim to have romances.

Knowing Beth's writing skills, I'm sure this is going to be truly hilarious.

There are no quotes or sources, so I'm uncertain about the accuracy of the article. But if this is true, then **** yes hilarity.

As long as I get to make out with an elf, I'm sold.

I think most "friendships" in the game will be fairly shallow affairs. I think they had a similar mechanic in Morrowind that allowed you to buy from them cheaper. I imagine this time it will be fairly deeper this time around, but its not like they can script/create deep and meaningful friendship or romances with every NPC in the world.

I imagine there will be a few central/important characters where the relationship aspects get more attention, and there probably won't be sex scenes like they have in Mass Effect. Come to think of it, putting those in Skyrim would feel pretty odd.

I certainly hope it won't be as shallow as "talk up the elf until you can get her to take her top off" sort of thing. However if they have ladies handing around allies who will do that for a couple gold, who am I to complain?

There weren't romances in any of the Elder Scrolls games.

I think it sounds pretty good. Might need to uppgrade my computer though...

I was not expecting DX11 support. That's pretty neat.

I'm curious how the changes they made to magic will change gameplay. They talk about the different effects that the different spell elements have (fire does damage, lighting less damage but drains magic, ice does least but drains stamina and slows them down). Do you think there will still be creatures with resistances and weaknesses? I also hope these are not the only type of damaging spells.

I like the unique qualities of swords, axes, and maces, and daggers do more sneak attack damage than any other weapon (that was a NICE touch).

I may have to build a whole new computer just to play this thing.

Seeing as though I haven't contributed anything relevant to this thread at all, I'd like to be of some use. If you haven't read it yet, here's Luke Piotrowicz's account of Skyrim's demo at E3 that's chock full of information about the game:

http://www.gamemarshal.com/previews/20110616103821/e3-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-impressions.html

Creation Engine:

This new engine also allows for dynamic lighting which lets any object or structure have its own unique shadow, making everything seem that much more realistic. And wouldn’t it be nice to be in a world surrounded by trees that actually have different weight properties in their branches, so when the wind blows they all react differently? Of course it would be and that’s exactly what you get with Skyrim, but that doesn’t just stop there. The wind mechanic will also be able to determine the flow of rivers and streams adding yet another layer of realism as you journey across the land seeking out your quests. Seeing all of this as I watched the demo, I was totally blown away.

Inventory:

At this point we were shown the game’s menu which is divided into 4 sections: magic, skills, items and map. Each of these are very detailed allowing you to do things such as look at your items in 3D by rotating them 360° degrees or review your skills by drilling down through the different levels to select the perfect spell that you are looking for. One of the things that really stood out to me was how much detail went into each of the inventory items as we rotated through them a little to see for example how meat can look before and after it is cooked. Another cool thing that we were shown before closing out of the inventory was the quest book. You can actually flip the pages just like you would a real book; the animations in this game are really detailed and very fluid.

Economy/Dynamic Weather:

As our demo continued, we came across a small town. Todd told us that Skyrim has a bunch of these little towns throughout the world along with five big cities, each with their own economy. The game mechanics will allow you to sabotage the town’s economy if you so choose, but what was really cool was that we could actually engage with the town folk and take up the jobs they have in the town to earn a living. Towns are also great places to get horses if you don’t feel like walking as you journey from one quest to the next. We got ourselves a horse and went on to ride it up a mountain for the next part of the demo. As we got higher and higher, the weather changed and eventually it started snowing. In Skyrim, the weather is dynamic and can change anytime which is another nice touch adding yet more layers of realism to the game.

Sounds good, looks good, and, dare I say, tastes good.

I really wish more games (including Skyrim) would change how armor stats work so the player doesn't have to wear ugly mismatched shit all the time. I think Global Agenda did it right in my opinion; allow the player to wear whatever suit or helmet they want (aesthetic with no stats) but enhance their protection with armor upgrades (non-aesthetic)

They really need to make it so an item is initially found with a set of stats, but those stats can be later replaced when you find better stats to switch them out with (not stacking stats, replacing them). So say you find helmet A with +5 armor, and then later you find helmet B with +6 magic; you should be able to replace +5 armor from helmet A with +6 magic from helmet B and vice versa.

Interview with Todd Howard, pretty informative.

If anyone is still doubting the fact that they are using another iteration of Gamebryo:

We started hitting that hard right after Fallout 3, so I’d say after the course of the next year and a half it turns out we’d re-written all of this -- look how it looks; we’re not using this anymore; we’re not using that anymore. So that’s when we actually decided to brand it; we should call it something of our own.

I really wish more games (including Skyrim) would change how armor stats work so the player doesn't have to wear ugly mismatched shit all the time. I think Global Agenda did it right in my opinion; allow the player to wear whatever suit or helmet they want (aesthetic with no stats) but enhance their protection with armor upgrades (non-aesthetic)

They really need to make it so an item is initially found with a set of stats, but those stats can be later replaced when you find better stats to switch them out with (not stacking stats, replacing them). So say you find helmet A with +5 armor, and then later you find helmet B with +6 magic; you should be able to replace +5 armor from helmet A with +6 magic from helmet B and vice versa.

Yeah, LOTRO does that and it's cool. I love that in previous Elder Scrolls games you can enchant any item in the game with any spell in the game, provided that you have the resources. If they keep that aspect intact in Skyrim (and I really hope they do, but I worry that they won't) and the crafting abilities they've mentioned are equally versatile (so you could craft armor pieces to your own specifications, as in choose their look, material, adjust armor value vs. weight, etc.), then I think that would be an ideal solution. And a pretty cool gameplay aspect as well.

Ugly mismatched armor? Piecemeal armor is the best, bro. I do like what you and MultiVaC are saying though. I usually hate the way certain armors look and have to wear them anyways because I'd die in higher level fights if I don't. It would be much better if you could just enchant your armor, or maybe re-forge it, so to speak, and have the stats change while keeping the aesthetic the same.

They answered a bunch of fan questions over on the forums. I have to wonder how they picked which ones to answer because the answers are mostly unfavourable. :p

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1207390-skyrim-fan-interview/

This is nice, though:

9) Can we have some specifics about the PC version of the game? How will it's UI be different? Will there be a 64-bit executable?
Todd: 64-bit specific exe? Not at this time. As far as UI, it visually looks the same across the platforms, but the controls are entirely different. There’s also a lot of “power user” stuff we do with the keyboard from how favorites work, to quick saves, and more that is similar to what we’ve done before in that area. We’re packing a lot of info on the screen and the whole interface is much less ‘look at giant fonts!’ than, say, Oblivion. The PC version also gets higher res textures, larger render modes, and a bunch of other effects you can scale up if your machine is a beast. Last but most important, is the Creation Kit we’ll be releasing for the PC. Modding the game and making it your own is very important to us and our fans, so we’re going to keep doing whatever we can in that area.

Visually same UI, am I to take this that we'll get the same oversized annoying UI that Oblivion had?

If so, boo Bethesda!

In the Game Informer cover story there's an entire column devoted to discussing how different (and supposedly more intuitive) the new interface is, if that's any consolation.

New interview with Todd Howard.

What about accessibility -- making Skyrim a game that's inviting to people who might not play RPGs as much, and also the hardcore people who have been playing The Elder Scrolls since the beginning?

Honestly, it's not something that we think about a lot, in that we've found that we're getting a pretty big audience making a game that we want to make. We want to make it for whoever it is -- even if you've played Elder Scrolls before, you haven't played this one, so you don't understand what a skill does yet.

... We want to remove confusion, that's what I'd say. As opposed to making it more accessible, we'd like to remove confusion for anyone who's playing. What we're trying to do now is lead you into it more... In our games or others' games, they give you a character menu and say, "Who do you want to be, what powers do you want?" [Players think,] "I don't know, I haven't played yet!"

What happens in Oblivion is you start the game, play for three hours, and then think "I want to start over, I chose wrong." So we'd like to sort of alleviate some of that. I also think the controls work better [too] ... it's more elegant.

You look at Call of Duty, the most popular game in the world, and that's actually pretty hardcore. At the end of the day, it's a hardcore game, has RPG elements in multiplayer, making classes, picking perks. I think the audiences are there, and we tend to make our game more for ourselves and other people who play a lot of games.

I am sure I'll get Skyrim and enjoy it as a game, just as I did Oblivion.

However, I'd like to see his source for the claim that Call of Duty is the most popular game in the world. I am highly skeptical of that.

Estimates for Black Ops alone are at 18 million units sold, so they have certainly pushed a lot of CoD. Never been that into seafood myself.

After avoiding it for some time, I picked up Oblivion at long last in the summer sale, spent an entire day installing mods, and I am having a blast I have to say. Really looking forward to Skyrim.

You didn't even bother playing the game once without mods!?

Then how will you know what the actual original game is like!?

For shame, Lobster, for shame!:p

Back