Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I like how my demonic horse attacks my enemies with aplomb, and usually kicks their asses to boot. In one scenario, as I was approaching a Dwarven ruin looking down on some bandits, my horse lept from a cliff and into the thick of them.

I also encountered a daedric prince, that was...interesting. As a result, I now have a cool staff that can turn people into chickens, or whatever random object it decides to turn them into.

Is that the same girl who got a lot of attention for her Twilight trailer reaction vids and other general hambeastery the other year? Or is this just another fat English chick stupid enough to put herself on youtube?

It's the same chick, and she's actually watching a Twilight trailer. Someone just added in the Skyrim voice over.

Thought I recognized her :p
I like how my demonic horse attacks my enemies with aplomb, and usually kicks their asses to boot. In one scenario, as I was approaching a Dwarven ruin looking down on some bandits, my horse lept from a cliff and into the thick of them.
This actually is one of my main gripes with the game so far... I wish you could stop your horse from doing this. I don't like to always stop and fight every two bit wolf pack that tries to bite a chunk out of my leg while riding through the wilderness and as a result often I will have wolves like half a mile behind me chasing after us. This wouldn't bother me except that the moment I dismount at my destination my horse turns around and gallops full speed into the distance to fight the wolves. Also I would like to keep my horse away from dragons and shit like that since I love my Frost.

The other main issue I have with the game is the interface, which is awful for PC and really inconsistent. But I'm used to it now so it doesn't really matter.

I'd Have to agree with what people are saying about the environment. It really is beautiful in places! And I love that any mountain you can see (except, I guess, the ones on the edge of the map, not been there yet) can be climbed! I would have loved to be on the level design team for this. Overall the dungeons are awesome and there is a lot of variety. Same with the quests, they're all interesting and there is so many. Plenty of stuff to do in a second/third play through!

Yeah I wish my horse would stop kicking bears in the face whilst I'm trying to cut it to pieces. Hopefully someone will mod the interface. It really is bad.

I'm level 22 and doing quests for the Thieves guild at the moment with the off main quest. I've encountered 5 dragons, 1 that wouldn't land, and they're quite fun to fight!

Well, rest assured that Bethesda wont change the layout for PC. I mean we cant even bind weapons to our number keys, how the ***k does nobody think of that?

The modding community however...

And yeah, some dragons wont land. Maybe it's the terrain around you and it cant 'pick' a spot. Fought one in the mountains and it was a nightmare, it kept strafe running me with his fire breath and I had to hide behind some pillars each time. And when he did land I had to hide behind the pillar again and sprint out between breaths to get some damage in. Epic.

Those shadow-settings actually cause shadow artifacting in several locations in the game world depending on sun location.

I know because I was using'em earlier, when I climbed the mountain to High Hrothgar, I noticed shadow artifacting so I exited, reverted the settings to default and bam, the artifacting was gone.

And yes, I made sure I had the settings exactly as worded in that.

Mind you, before that I had been playing for several hours without noticing any of these artifacts, but the fact that just one of them pops up with the customized 'tweaks' and doesn't without them makes me wary to use them.

Weird. Maybe you're just not experiencing the same glitching as me, so arent fixing anything. Are your shadows set to Ultra or something?

Personally mine are on low, but these tweaks make the game look like they're running on atleast high for me, and I havent noticed any performance drops.

I mean we cant even bind weapons to our number keys, how the ***k does nobody think of that?

Pretty sure you can? Just watched some gameplay footage where somebody did.

Pretty sure you can? Just watched some gameplay footage where somebody did.
Favourites > 1-8.

I'm waiting for a reset skill mod.
I swear I'll only use it once!

Ah crap, you can.

You have to favourite the item like normal, then hit Q to bring up favourites, mouse over the item and then hit a number key.

Long-winded for something that should be so damn simple.

Ah crap, you can.

You have to favourite the item like normal, then hit Q to bring up favourites, mouse over the item and then hit a number key.

Long-winded for something that should be so damn simple.

That's just setting it up, not using it. Not really that long winded. It'd be nice if it were better though. Just a number key in the inventory.

It's going to take some adjustment, but I like it.

2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

And yeah, some dragons wont land. Maybe it's the terrain around you and it cant 'pick' a spot. Fought one in the mountains and it was a nightmare, it kept strafe running me with his fire breath and I had to hide behind some pillars each time. And when he did land I had to hide behind the pillar again and sprint out between breaths to get some damage in. Epic.

Term inflation ahoy! Why not use MAJESTIC to describe that? This simply means that it's competent, good design. Certainly doesn't sound like something groundbreaking or terribly inventive. Merely Bethesda catching up with the modern world.

Come on guys, give me some honest criticism, not vague remarks like "all good". Apart from the interface, that is. That's been shit ten year's ago and only stinks worse after all that time.

I am surprised I am having framerate issues with this on High. I read somewhere you can adjust a few things to make it run smoother? Put Shadows on low? Any other suggestions?

Also, how the hell do you exit the inventory? I just looted my first body, equipped the stuff, and can't figure out how to get back to the game... If I press "escape" it just takes me to the main menu. :|

ZT, to exit the inventory, press TAB.

I know, the intuitiveness rating is through the roof!

Where can I get the "Trap Soul" spell? My magic items are out of charge and I could use a soul :(

Where can I get the "Trap Soul" spell? My magic items are out of charge and I could use a soul :(
In the Jarl of Whiterun's place there should be a mage there who has it.

Can anyone help with this part a fair way into the game?
This is at the Greybeard's council, where General Tullius asks for Riften or Dawnstar. Anyone know what the outcome will be for each one?

Wow, game breaking bug, can't level up past LVL 1 on my main character.

I tried a different character to see and sure enough I leveled up normal and quickly.

So I got through the starting escape bit, and decided to climb the nearest mountain. I promptly died to a wispmother.

***KING. SNOW. BEARS.

***KING. SNOW. TROLLS.

I'd take a dragon over these any damn day!

Can be beautiful sometimes.

ScreenShot2.jpg

Do not....make....a mouse fart....

ScreenShot5.jpg

ScreenShot6.jpg

ScreenShot7.jpg

*Proof you can sneak up on dragons..and 4 shot them with a Stealth skill of 64, Assassin's Blade perk and an unchanted, bog-standard elven blade*

ScreenShot8.jpg

I quick-saved right before I attacked, whilst stood well back, snuck up to him and killed him in 4 sneak hits from behind. He barely got to stand up fully before he died. So I grabbed my phone, started to record, hit quick-load and every time it loads, he suddenly 'detects' me and I cant hide again as he takes off. Gutted, wanted to film me killing him instead of screenshots.

So had to kill him the old fashioned way.

Term inflation ahoy! Why not use MAJESTIC to describe that? This simply means that it's competent, good design. Certainly doesn't sound like something groundbreaking or terribly inventive. Merely Bethesda catching up with the modern world.

Come on guys, give me some honest criticism, not vague remarks like "all good". Apart from the interface, that is. That's been shit ten year's ago and only stinks worse after all that time.

Just don't get the game man, both you and I know you're probably not going to like it. You're terribly opposed to Bethesda games.

Encountered my first unbeatable dungeon today.
Right down the South East corner of the map, some guy is waiting outside a dungeon and asks you to go and retrieve a mask from this dungeon. The first area is pretty simple, mostly ghosts that spawned in twos, one melee one magic user. Killed them off easy enough with my companion too. Then later there are undead and they come in massive groups, that's where my companion died (RIP) but I managed to survive. I got to the end and an undead dude with a mask appeared. So damn powerful! Doesn't help that undead come from the coffins too!

Fair to say I died in no time.

Playing as a stealthy one handed weapon user with a bit of bow action.

Still awesome though :D

@willy: You on easy or something? They wreck all my shit and ruin my life every time I fight one.

One big gripe I'm having with this game is the inability to abandon quests.. I have active quests for joining the DB and Thieves Guild both of which I have no intention of doing, my character is a warrior not a sneaky type, so they are just there clogging up my journal now.. If they were in the misc category I wouldn't care (I have a sneaky-type quest in there I'm not now or ever starting with this char).

God damn I hope they fix it or a mod comes out soon for it..

@willy: You on easy or something? They wreck all my shit and ruin my life every time I fight one.

One big gripe I'm having with this game is the inability to abandon quests.. I have active quests for joining the DB and Thieves Guild both of which I have no intention of doing, my character is a warrior not a sneaky type, so they are just there clogging up my journal now.. If they were in the misc category I wouldn't care (I have a sneaky-type quest in there I'm not now or ever starting with this char).

God damn I hope they fix it or a mod comes out soon for it..
I'm one difficulty above normal. Maybe that's why they're so easy, but I've never had trouble with them. They're just annoying when they fly around. And the ability to abandon would be great. I have no plans to join Stormcloaks or the Imperial Legion. I hate choosing sides.

Besides the fact that I get horrible framerate in towns, I'm really currently loving the game so far.

Dragons are pretty easy, and it seems I'm fighting more ice-breathing ones than fire. It's kind of funny how I killed a dragon on my way to a quest, walked for about 2 minutes, encountered a bear, and it basically 2 shotted me.

Yeah. I watched a giant beat a dragon nearly to death and the giant barely had a scratch. Giants and bears can practically instakill you, yet dragons do shit all damage. It's retarded.

I feel like my game is different from your guys'.

Bears are easy as shit to kill for me, Giants are still hard to kill (usually 1-3 hits I'm dead), but not THAT hard, just run away and bow shot a few times.

Wait, what? A few people on Amazon are saying that the WASD set-up cannot be remapped to the numpad. If these allegations are true, not a penny from my pocket will be given to this laughable console port. You've just lost a left-handed player, Bethesda, and I hope you lose many more.

[/whine]

Wait, what? A few people on Amazon are saying that the WASD set-up cannot be remapped to the numpad. If these allegations are true, not a penny from my pocket will be given to this laughable console port. You've just lost a left-handed player, Bethesda, and I hope you lose many more.

[/whine]

Just confirmed this, the keys can be remapped in general (for instance to the up-down-left-right keys) but the numpad keys are 'reserved' apparently, no idea why since I certainly haven't used them. I'm sure there should be some sort of workaround or patch for this though.

I don't even f*ck with giants. Not since my trip to the moon. Bears f*ck me up.

The first time I encountered a giant he whacked me with his club and I also shot into the sky.

I was pretty scared when I met my next one running towards me as I was fighting some bandits in a fort, but it turned out he was coming to bash the shit out of the bandits. When he was done making jelly he just casually walked off and didn't bother with me.

The first one I encountered was at one of their camps or something (mammoth skull mark on the map), maybe they're only hostile there?

[/whine]
I'm left handed and I use WASD with the mouse in my right hand. You must have terrible hand-eye coordination

So on my first quest to visit the Greybeards after you figure out you're Dragonborn, in my attempt to find High Hrothgar by foot I actually climbed the entire mountain with my horse and got all the way up to the Throat of the World, which is just beneath the highest point in Skyrim, a craggy peak about 50m above it. Since I went the absurd vertical horse mountainclimbing route I managed to completely bypass the blizzard that is supposed to prevent you from getting up there before having the appropriate Shout. I climbed to the very peak of the world (or about 5 feet below it since you can't physically hop onto the very top point) and lo and behold there is a Notched Pickaxe (which does frost damage and increases skill when used as a weapon) along with some deposits of super rare ore.

This just has to be a Minecraft reference, doesn't it? I mean a "notched" pickaxe, which just happens to be at the HIGHEST POINT of the tallest mountain in the game?

^lol. Odd, (maybe they're gunna make a star wars are-pee-gee)

Hardest part about the game is choosing a playstyle, because the combinations are almost limitless (okay, not really, but there are a lot)

Has anyone explored illusion? What kind of spells are there? I got one Illusion spell (fury) and I love manipulating enemies and townsfolk into killing each other. Been thinking about creating some sort of Warrior/Illusion/Destruction class.

I'm left handed and I use WASD with the mouse in my right hand. You must have terrible hand-eye coordination

So you do, but you're missing the larger picture. Skyrim restricts the full use of your keyboard and forces you to alter a set-up that you might have been using for years. Does not that bother you in any way? It sure perturbs me. I actually wouldn't be surprised if some right-handed players out there are also furious. Hopefully Avoidist is right and a patch arrives soon, or I will stay away from this game.

Back