Gabe Newell reveals E3 Surprise

thanks for completely missing the point. darkside was talking about stuff like boss batles, and such enemies. I don't see how anything different than a strider/gunship would fit the episodes. what does he expect, a giant combine robot coming to destroy the rebel base?
As far as different types of enemies goes, we saw mortar and crab synths being manufactured in the citadel. When we saw the remnants of the C17 combine forces marching across the bridge toward White Forest, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have had some mortar and crab synths in those ranks.

Also, we could've had the antlion king in Episode 2. Antlion tunnels, deep underground where something that big could be housed...

But even assuming we DIDN'T get any additional enemies, one of the biggest problems is that there is no variation in how we dispense with the enemies we have. Consider that every gunship battle is exactly the same. Every hunter chopper battle requires you to use its bombs against it, and post-gravity gun all you do is pick up its bombs and throw them back. Striders, up until the strider buster, required rockets to take down. Valve even tried to be different about how that's accomplished in Ep1, but it still ended up being the same thing.

The problem is that when you see these bosses, you know what to expect, and you're just going through the motions. Why have we never had something like...okay, when you fight the hunter chopper in Episode 2, you fight it in an area with a lot of shipping crates, right? Why not have a puzzle where you need to distract the hunter chopper, get up into a crane that's used to load those giant shipping crates, and use the crane to smash that sucker? Why do I have to throw bombs at it? Why am I ALWAYS throwing bombs at it?

Fighting against gunships, why do I always have to do the swirly-rocket thing? Why can't a bunch of us coordinate rocket shots and bring the things down? Why isn't there something like...I dunno, give me a big arbalest that fires rebar, something like Gordon's crossbow on a massive scale, to punch through these things. Better yet, how about some kind of winch and tether system, where you have to fire these 1,000lbs. test steel cables up and over a gunship, you throw a lever and the cable tightens, pinning the gunship to the ground where the resistance forces swarm on it and take it down with small munitions?

How come there's never been a section where you have to "Empire Strikes Back" tether cable the striders, like AT-ATs?

I mean there are all kinds of ways to dispense with these creatures, but we're constantly doing the same damn things. If you're going to give the player the same enemies to fight you need to mix it up beyond putting them in new locations, beyond giving them new skins (antlion guard), beyond giving you a magical one-hit-kill device against them, and beyond just increasing their number and spreading them out. You've got a physics engine, you've got a physics manipulation device, you've got a fanbase which is, for the most part, not comprised of idiots and mindless run-and-gun mentality players, and your franchise is based off of coming up with clever ways for defeating enemies! Friggin' give us something more than shooting rockets at things! Let me feel like I'm being clever for once, like I'm using the MIT-graduate brain I'm SUPPOSED to have as Gordon Freeman!

No, I said bullsquid doesn't fit, but antlion worker does. you see, antlion worker is basically bullsquid, but better. improved.
I'd disagree with you here. The antlion worker isn't better than the bullsquid because the bullsquid has a bunch of cool things it does, whereas the antlion worker spits, runs, spits, runs. Bullsquid spits, charges, bites, and whips with its tail. But a bullsquid would not fit in White Forest, as they're more suited to places like the Lost Coast.

I could go on, and say Episode Two is not great as Opposing Force, but it's a very solid game. We, players, are new to the Episodic Format, so we don't know what to expect when buying a game. Episode Two is not a full-game, AAA title, or an expansion pack. It's a short game, advancing the story using the old content, and new gameplay ideas. That's all.
I'd agree with you, except for the fact that the episodes have done nothing but reuse old gameplay established since HL2. And we should know what to expect, despite the games being episodic: they should be platforms for doing new things, as you said, but they aren't. They should be short games that do advance the story, but also introduce varied gameplay. There was no varied gamplay, just varied locations.

Sheepo said:
Troll code of honor is totally arbitrary bro.
He's right, there's no honor among trolls. Everyone in here is trying to troll everyone else just as hard.

Well new environments = varied gameplay. Along with the introduction of new enemies, allies, and core gameplay concepts. As unsubstantial as you think they are, you can't deny they exist.

It's the same gameplay pigeonholed into new environments. There weren't any core gameplay concepts added, only one truly new enemy, and as far as allies go...Magnusson can go choke on like eighty dicks.

Haha "If I use the word pigeonholed it sounds like a bad thing!" There are a few gameplay additions, mostly just types of puzzles, gravity gun objects, car that doesn't suck. It probably was a stretch to refer to them as core gameplay additions... OH SHIT I MADE A PUN

253392-half_life2_episode_one_01_super.jpg

WHERE'S MY GOD DAMN GLUON GUN?

... or at least Combine with Tau Cannons.

I can't believe you didn't like the driving. I feel like we must've been playing different games. I'm also having very mixed feelings because that gif is delightful.

I can't believe you didn't like the driving. I feel like we must've been playing different games. I'm also having very mixed feelings because that gif is delightful.

To be honest I didn't mind the driving if it wasn't for that god awful sound coming from the engine whenever you took the foot of the gas, and put it on again afterwards; it somehow felt like the sound reset as if the vehicle started from a stationary position. I've just hoping this time will be driving a 4x4.

A bro did most of the work since I'm not much of a wordsmith. The only things left over from my version are the first two lines and the "Hell bent for blubber" sequences. Enjoy.

Judas Feast - Hell Bent For Blubber

Seek him here, seek him on the snack aisle
Never knowing when he'll appear
All await, meals spilling over
Hear his roar as his odor spills

Meals! Eats so much, he drops face down
Creams! His toast as he gobbles them down

Hell bent, hell bent for blubber

Buffet night, faster than a shadow
Reaches out for the hotdog bun
A heart condition, in bad position
He tumbles over as he picks up crumbs

Fools! No weakling man can claim that ham
Hands! Cannot grasp he is covered in jam

There's many who dined in stores they all gathered
but they couldn't breathe so they died far and wide

There's many who dined in stores they all gathered
but they couldn't breathe so they died far and wide

In HL1 the objective through 90% of the game is saving your own ass. Everything you do is motivated by your own survival; anything you do in that game that is beneficial to anyone else is purely coincidental.

I feel the need to echo this point.

HL was great because it stuck you in Gordon's shoes and asked what the **** are you going to now? The world's collapsing around you and there's aliens coming, what you gonna do? Personally, you could take resonance cascade and stick it, replace it with some other plot point - this isn't what makes the game good (although the scene where you create the casscade is great). HL worked so well because it's always repeating the question, what are you going to do now, and by making you answer the question Gordon becomes you.

In HL2 you're told to go places and, like a mute errand boy, off you trot. I can't associate with this new Gordon, he's not me - you're trapped in this body that has to go do stuff for people and your motivation changes from the very personal to straight to sci-fi channel fluff. As great as valve are, I don't think they realise what was great about HL. It was the towering inferno with aliens.

I love how people are still sourcing that VG24/7 article.

Holy shit! The source himself said it's merely possible that it will be HL3! This is great news!

20100613170651capture.jpg

That looks terrible, actually. (the real picture, not the anti-hotlink pic)

dat bloom. Why does everyone think that makes the graphics better?

Bloom is a decent effect given enough time in the dark. HDR alone can be cool given the light source or daytime outside. But normal sources blinding you is pretty wtf, or just stepping back outside.

It is, obviously it wouldn't as much as the metal. How much depends on the type of wood I think.

Gabe's E3 surprise is an update to Steam that formats your drive if you hotlink.

Back