Game of Thrones thread with lots of books spoilers inside spoiler tags

T-minus 10 minutes to finale...

EDIT:

Jaime surprises us all by delivering the greatest one liner in human history a little earlier than in the books...

"There are no men like me... There's only me...

The Badass Boast at its most basic and pure form.

Great episode.

Thought the King in the North scene really could have been done better, it didn't feel as momentous or exciting as in the book.

I loved the rest of the episode though. Varys and Littlefinger having their weird "Spy vs. Spy" verbal dances = excellent. I thought the scene where Joffrey forces Sansa to look at all the bespiked heads was done well. I would have preferred to see Arya/Arry spank Hot Pie's ass with the practice sword rather than how they did it, but it was still cool. And of course, I thought the epic finale with Danerys Stormborn, Mother of Dragons was done WONDERFULLY.

Grand Maester Pyrcelle's little monologue was a bit weird though, I don't understand what the motivation behind that scene was (and watching him stretch and see his 70 year old penis silhouette... and hearing him laboriously pop every vertebrae in his back... just wut)

On that note, Reddit just blew my mind:

qhGGE.jpg

Next spring can't come fast enough. At least Breaking Bad starts on Sundays in a few weeks to help me get over my post-thronal depression.

So, the guy who plays Grand Master Pycelle was also the bad guy in Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade. Mind blown for the day.
My mind was blown last week.

Bravo, Game of Thrones. I can not wait to see you next season.

God, that was amazing.
The finale couldn't have been any more perfect than it was.

Who else has an insanely venomous hatred for Joffrey?
I swear, my mouth must foam up whenever that little **** comes on screen.

Yeah both the book and tv show go to pretty extreme lengths to depict what a cruel and sadistic tyrant Joffrey is and to ensure that we all fully loathe the little ****.

where i would normally be clammering to get my hands on a new episode, i'm a little torn right now. i'm pacing myself nicely through the first book now, i reckon i'm quite close to littlefinger's betrayal, which by my reckoning is about episode 6/7, but all throughout the series i have left the HOLY SHIT moments down to watching the show, and with there only being one episode left i'm thinking i might just try to finish the book before i watch the finale so that i can get the richness from the book in full force.

that said, i'm away off to my girlfriends in two days where i'll be able to get a hour or so of reading in here and there, but no opportunity to watch the finale until i leave and go back to uni. i might start climbing the walls if i finish the book at hers and not have access to the episode...

who the **** am i kidding i'll probably watch it tomorrow.

Was naked Denarys at the end all CGI to go with the dragons? She looked awfully stiff.

Son of a bitch.
Also, a couple of things I'll critique on now that I'm more calmed down from the excitement.
Mind you, I've only read the first book and a little bit of the second.
Anyone else a bit peeved that they copped out on knocking Tyrion out instead of having him actually fight... I would think that completely ruins the chance for some serious character development?
And shouldn't Dany be bald after being engulfed in flames?... also, the dragonlings should be sucking on her breasts so as to really give the impression that she's their mother.

And why the hell would lizards (lizard-like at least) drink milk? I don't recall ever seeing any iguanas with mammaries.

(book spoiler related to the finale)

He's asking because in the book it specifically describes her as being hairless, because it was all burnt off. Also, when Jorah finds her in the ashes, one dragon is hanging around her shoulders and the other two are each sucking on one of her breasts.

Ya but hair being burned makes no real sense... I mean if the rest of her body could take it, why not the hair?

If you are going to be logical, it would beg the question how does her body withstand being raised to 1000 degrees? At the very least her blood would start boiling and that would raise her blood pressure to the point that she'd be blowing arteries and valves. Also it would not be able to transport oxygen (what little there is inside a raging fire) at those temperatures because it won't dissolve because there is no moisture in her lungs from the heat and also because the blood saturates with oxygen much quicker in that heat, so she must be suffocations proof as well.

Son of a bitch.
Also, a couple of things I'll critique on now that I'm more calmed down from the excitement.

Anyone else a bit peeved that they copped out on knocking Tyrion out instead of having him actually fight... I would think that completely ruins the chance for some serious character development?
And shouldn't Dany be bald after being engulfed in flames?... also, the dragonlings should be sucking on her breasts so as to really give the impression that she's their mother.

With regards to the former. Fundamentally staging big battles is probably beyond their funding in all honesty (it's impressive they have the number of extras they do given the number of actor roles they have). Plus actually staging mass fights is hard work and requires a lot of time and co-ordination, which isn't always possible within the constraints of TV vs say a film. Sure seeing the fighting would of been ace, but if it came at say the expense of characters elsewhere I'd rather forgo it and leave it to imagination. The thing that's impressed me the most about the series so far is how much they've managed to stay on true to the story line and keep in a lot of the really minor characters that might not have carried over like Timmett for example.

As regards the hair, creative licence guys. Sure in the book the hairs all gone, but I suspect from the perspective of practicalities they didn't want to shave the actress and then have to wig her in the event that they needed to reshoot things, plus time steps up a notch after that so it's not like she's bald for long. Going to those lengths wouldn't really add anything substantial to the narrative.

Whenever you are having to translate one medium to the other, you have to start from the perspective of 'what's the objective' & 'what do we want to convey', if something is not essential to getting across the narrative, then there's no point doing it except out of fan service. I'm sure we will get some actual battles down the road, but they are going to be ones that actually matter in terms of major impact I suspect.

I think they could've managed to just show him swinging an axe or sword into someone's face briefly.

I'm not peeved about the lack of battles, it's more that they deprived the character of an essential experience that would shape him.

A single matte painting with some moving horses and smoke could have done a bit of justice to the size of the dothraki horde. If I had to guess based on what I saw on the screen, I would have said the horde was about 100 people. Same goes for all of the armies and landscapes and everything. Just give me a few staging shots to show the scope of some of these things. (The wall and the Aerie did it pretty well.)

the eyrie in the book is so, so descriptively awesome that it really made me want to get back into concept art illustration again, just to draw the wondrous (and perilous!) ascent to the top. it's a shame it's not so fleshed out in the show, but it would be quite a task to represent it fully. as it stands, the sky cells and moon door were good enough.

anyway, finished the finale and now i'm very sad that i have to wait nigh on a year for more, but i have the books to tide me over, it's just a matter of how long i can stretch them out for now. with all of the things coming into motion at the end of the first season of the show...

... tyrion at kings landing, robb as king of the north, jon and the night's watch moving beyond the wall, dany and the dragons...

... i am positively ITCHING to finish the book and get into the second. in fact, i'm going to go and read some more right now. i have lots of long train journeys ahead of me the next two weeks and goddamn am i excited for them if it means i get to just sit down next to the rolling countryside and get proper stuck in.

In regards to Dany's hair, some of it was apparently burned off.

You just had to know where to look :naughty:

If you are going to be logical, it would beg the question how does her body withstand being raised to 1000 degrees? At the very least her blood would start boiling and that would raise her blood pressure to the point that she'd be blowing arteries and valves. Also it would not be able to transport oxygen (what little there is inside a raging fire) at those temperatures because it won't dissolve because there is no moisture in her lungs from the heat and also because the blood saturates with oxygen much quicker in that heat, so she must be suffocations proof as well.

Now you're just being silly.

The only place I'm disappointed they cut is rather a strange one and not important to the plot;
it's the Eyrie godswood, or rather the lack of it. I remember when the room was first described I remember thinking "it's supposed to be a godswood isn't it?" and then they explained the story about how they couldn't get a heart tree to take root their and I just really liked that area.

Wait...that may not have been in the first book...

Can someone remind me?

That's in the first book. They mention that the Eyrie has a godswood-like area with trees and nature and whatnot, but it has no weirwood heart tree because the elevation is too high and the soil isn't rich enough or something.

I'm about half way through the second book and loving it so far...

Son of a bitch.
The hair was probably left for aesthetic reasons. As far as the dragons go, reptiles don't produce milk, much less drink it.

My dad and brother and one of my mates are now asking me for the books to read. The same mate also got me this shirt.

The hair was probably left for aesthetic reasons. As far as the dragons go, reptiles don't produce milk, much less drink it.

In the books its quite clear about them suckling on her breasts.

Doesn't make it any less foolish just because GRRM wrote it. It makes about at much sense as if he were to write about humans laying eggs in that universe. So in short, it wasn't a bad thing to cut out at all.

How dare he insult our intelligence with his sub par physiological understanding of mythical beasts.

I mean Christ, in book 5 he'll probably describe the fire coming from magic or some other fantasy bullshit, when we all know it comes from a special nitroglycerine-producing organ next to the liver.

"Sorcery is the sauce fools spoon over failure to hide the flavor of their own incompetence." - Tyrion

I see, so dragons produce milk MAGICALLY. Talk all you like about "you can do anything because it's a fantasy setting and the RULES DON'T APPLY MAAAN", but you still can't introduce things into the world that break the willing suspension of disbelief. How about GRRM write about a monster truck blasting through the castle? Surely a wizard did it. Dragons are clearly reptilian based and reptiles don't produce milk or nurse, just like humans don't lay eggs. It was a dumb plot point and the series isn't harmed in the least by ignoring it. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, eats like a duck, and reproduces like a duck... it's probably safe to bet it's physiologically similar to a duck and deviating from that mold without a very specific cause is just lousy writing.

He wanted to show that the dragons though of Dany as their mother, but he didn't think it through all the way and ended up making a lousy example. It happens and it doesn't need defended. Also I no longer care.

I don't understand where all the hate's coming from.

A2pf3.jpg

LOL

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the guy is now going to be forever loathed whenever he turns up in a TV show or a film. He'll be like one of those soap opera villains that get accosted in the street by angry old ladies wielding umbrellas that can't separate fact from fiction. Though in his case it will probably be dudes with baseball bats.

This show peaked mid-season for me. After that they just killed off some of my favourite characters one by one and I don't have very many left now...

Apparently the actor who plays Joffrey gets non-stop shit in real life for it, people on the streets telling him he's an asshole and stuff. I guess that's the sign of good acting...

This show peaked mid-season for me. After that they just killed off some of my favourite characters one by one and I don't have very many left now...

Hahaha. It only gets worse. I'm midway through the 3rd book and GRRM basically punishes, mutilates and/or violently murders just about every appealing character in the storyline. Luckily new characters keep appearing fresh for the slaughter.

Hahaha. It only gets worse. I'm midway through the 3rd book and GRRM basically punishes, mutilates and/or violently murders just about every appealing character in the storyline. Luckily new characters keep appearing fresh for the slaughter.

Yeah I must admit I find GRRM seems to lay on the punishment a little too think at times. I finished all the existing books a month or two back, and am looking forward the next (pre-ordered), but I have to say I hope he lightens up on the relentless sadism.

In the books its quite clear about them suckling on her breasts.

Book 1 also makes it quite clear that Tyrion is some kind of uber-acrobat who loves doing backflips and shit for no apparent reason.

Decent change.

Book 1 also makes it quite clear that Tyrion is some kind of uber-acrobat who loves doing backflips and shit for no apparent reason.

Decent change.
ONCE. And that's VERY early in the book, whereas the Danerys thing is at the very end by which point GRRM has developed a much more consistent writing style and approach to his character development. Plus while the Tyrion backflip thing doesn't make any sense for his character, Dany breastfeeding the dragons actually does make sense given the whole mother of dragons thing. For whoever was criticizing it because dragons aren't mammals, my only response is... they're dragons.

ONCE. And that's VERY early in the book, whereas the Danerys thing is at the very end by which point GRRM has developed a much more consistent writing style and approach to his character development.
There is nothing to suggest the last chapter wasn't written early on.

Why are we still quibbling about the dragons? Who gives a ****? Let's all wring our hands about S2's budget and battles, k?

Back