HL2.net Mod Making Challenge

BlueWolf72

Tank
Reaction score
Just curious since I created the Mod Of The Year Awards for modDB and when I left I didnt take the feature with me. Since Im helping HL2.net I was thinking if I created a contest that you made a mod for HL2.net with a theme example:

1. Theme - Caves
2. 2 maps
3. 4 weapons
4. Map Models (custom or give credit)
5. Multiplayer

Top 3 mods win prize pack, teams need to consist of

1. Coder
1 Mapper
1 Modeler

So my ?????? to you is would you moders take the time to do something like this? Input or ideas are welcome I want some feedback before I make this legit.

This seems like faaar too large a task for a contest. Good luck even finding 3 coders here good enough and willing to participate.

The prizes would have to be like, really good in order for anyone to even bother. Making a mod is no small thing. I bet if anyone did manage to get your team requirement (which is a stupid idea, and only hinders the already low chance that anyone would do this) they'd make a half assed mod anyway, just because there'd be like nobody to compete with and all they care about is winning some dinky prize. (If I know you, some game or something. Hoo boy.)

Also, the entire concept of making a mod just for a contest is offensive to me. After years of dealing with noobs in this section making mods at the drop of a hat, and coming here asking for coders/mappers/modelers (oh but they'll be the mod leader, and the "ideas man"! Yeah!) this is the exact opposite kind of concept anyone should support. Making mods is a serious task that should be done by people who are serious about what they're doing. Not making some shitty mod for the sake of winning a contest.

Of course, I could be wrong and by some miracle you could find a handful of coders/modelers/mappers that are willing to form into teams to make mods for your little contest here. Yeah, good luck.

I totallllllllllllllllllllly agree just thought I put the idea out. Years back there were sites that had 24 hour mapping with themes. I would even like to do that but since we have some modders visiting I thought I would toss the idea out. There are inde game contests each year that award you for making a game. I didnt expect this to happen tomorrow but if there is a interest I would like to hold something via HL2.net about making mods and hold a fun contest with a theme and see what happens.

Hell no, the amount of effort for even a small mod like you propose is way too large for any mod developer to do it. Shit I don't even have enough time to get as much done on my own projects as I would like, much less add more to the plate. I'm relatively positive that any other source developer you ask would say something similar.

Something like this would be better in one department, where one person can realistically do it (a map contest for example) in less time. What you propose would take a full team of 5-6 people a LONG time unless they don't have jobs or something.

I knew you'd come to my rescue Ennui.

Frankly, I'd say the mod or even map-making members of the site are a very insignificant minority. I think running even a scaled-down contest here would be wishful thinking... perhaps if hl2.net strategy is to actually become part of the wider Half-Life 'community' it wouldn't be a bad thing, but it's a fansite, not a modding resource.

Back